What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

19 hours ago, Fal said:

I bet it was a situation where HZ got the assignment,  and Z brought in P.

I can buy that.

I do love the Panda scores, rest assured, I just wish they were a little more...consistent, for lack of a better word. Even with Balfe and others around, they're at least following whatever Powell contributed. But then the Zimmer-sounding stuff comes in and it's a tad jarring. Fortunately, there's not much of that, but still. I'm surprised there's barely any Zimmerness in the first one!

:music: Justice League. I never actually listened to the abridged versions of two big cues....and it turns out The Final Battle features a tiny (and I mean tiny) bit more of Williams' Superman theme at 2:47 that is exclusive to this track. Looks like for of an alternate rather than an abridged cue anyway.

Karol

On 4/27/2018 at 10:47 AM, Jay said:

Nice!  I got an email from DHL indicating it would arrive yesterday, but checked the tracking and it seems its stuck in Cincinatti with no estimated arrival date.  Odd.

I hope you received your copy. It's been a great listening experience so far. The music has a lot of intricate and subtle layers that are lost in the game. 

6 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I hope you received your copy. It's been a great listening experience so far. The music has a lot of intricate and subtle layers that are lost in the game. 

Nope. For some reason it's been in Cincinnati since Thursday. 

Kings Row - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Received the FSM release of this score yesterday.  I own several re-recordings of specific cues, but it's SO nice to have the complete score.  It actually sounds pretty great for its age to me.  A delightful listen, dripping with that Korngold romanticism.

I don't have the courage for listening to an entire score... feeling lazy... so my usual always "updated" Fan's playlist :-)

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Kings Row - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Received the FSM release of this score yesterday.  I own several re-recordings of specific cues, but it's SO nice to have the complete score.  It actually sounds pretty great for its age to me.  A delightful listen, dripping with that Korngold romanticism.

It's a shame FSM shut down their label before they got around to doing the remaining Korngold scores.

Ready Player One and Avengers: Infinity War. Silvestri is on a roll this year. His most entertaining stuff in almost a decade. While Ready Player One makes a better and more listenable album Infinity War is quite wonderful in the film.

Karol

As kind of light pop riff on 'Blade Runner' and 'Tron:Legacy' it's not half bad. As usual, a half hour of pruning to weed out the less essential stuff would have been swell customer service bit compared other recent releases it's still a decent enough album if you like your blings and beeps strictly 80's style.

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

Disney's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story by Disney's Michael Giacchino

Haven't played this all the way through before. 

I don't know why this isn't liked as much as it should (don't answer). I love this score, even thought it is not Williams.

4 hours ago, John said:

It's not very good.

Oh it's terrific. Why always the Giacchino bashing? I honestly don't get it.

Now Alexandre Desplat. There's a composer whose music is technically adept and all, but does nothing for me.

Desplat's good, but he would not have suited Star Wars. At all. Though that's probably why him originally being assigned to it was intriguing.

Giacchino's Rogue One is a fine work. The orchestrations feel a bit more refined and detailed than usual for him. He scores the ending quite nicely.

The Rocketeer by James Horner

Empire of the Sun by John Williams

The Village by James Newton Howard

Unbreakable by James Newton Howard

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Disney's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story by Disney's Michael Giacchino

Haven't played this all the way through before. 

Unfortunately not a single Giacchino score has really excited me in a long time, Rogue One included. 

Jurassic World was alright (especially when you can’t see the random bits of film the JW themes were pasted over) and Inside Out was kind of ok but aside from that... yeah. 

Desplat keeps knocking them out of the park though! Isle of Dogs, Shape of Water, Valerian. Quantity and quality!

I like to listen to ROGUE ONE, but when put alongside the images, the music seems a little...well...overwhelmed, almost as if can't be bothered to hold its own. I'm not sure how to explain it, but, to me, the score just seems to give up.

7 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm not one of these resident "Giacchino bashers", I am a big fan of most of his work. That's why his work on R1 was so disappointing to me. There's no subtlety, no memorable themes (Jyn's theme is laughable, as is the new "Imperial Theme"). It's all very underwhelming.

I love Jyn's theme. Particularly the bit where she and Cassian are on the beach watching the DS blast approach. Heartbreaking.

Enjoy Krennick's Imperial theme too.

There must be something wrong with me.

7 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Jurassic World was alright (especially when you can’t see the random bits of film the JW themes were pasted over) and Inside Out was kind of ok but aside from that... yeah. 

Desplat keeps knocking them out of the park though! Isle of Dogs, Shape of Water, Valerian. Quantity and quality!

The JW FYC is great in that it omits the Williams copy and paste tracks.

I listened to Shape of Water on Cinematic Sound yesterday, and I was like meh, what is this? No emotional engagement for me at all.

Valerian was fun though.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Jerry Goldsmith scored CHINATOWN in under one week, and that is a stone cold classic. Lack of time is no excuse. That being said, maybe Cappuccino's heart and/or attention was not all there.

Name calling. Really.

I don't think Giacchino is on the same level as Goldsmith to be honest.

But I still enjoy MG's music without worrying about it.

I just get the impression William Ross helped quite a bit on this one as this sounds a lot more detailed than Giacchino's Star Trek or John Carter. 

Anyhoo, currently have been listening to...

Mars Needs Moms by John Powell

Ratchet & Clank by David Beauregard 

9 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Now Alexandre Desplat. There's a composer whose music is technically adept and all, but does nothing for me.

Giacchino has proved to be a very versatile composer, at least in my listening experience. I listened to Rogue One and then Ratatouille and while the latter has to have a French twist, it was very amusing and different.

2 hours ago, John said:

I'm not one of these resident "Giacchino bashers", I am a big fan of most of his work. That's why his work on R1 was so disappointing to me. There's no subtlety, no memorable themes (Jyn's theme is laughable, as is the new "Imperial Theme"). It's all very underwhelming.

Jyn's theme is a very good musical representation of her gentle and innocent nature, particularly and especially her relationship with her father. The Imperial Suite is excellent, considering most other composers may have just directly used the Imperial March the whole time, it was a good move and still has hints of that ESB classic. The Guardians of the Whills theme is underused but still enchanting. The excellent use of brass in tracks like Confrontation on Eadu and Scrambling the Rebel Fleet is as close as it gets to SW Williams for Giacchino, so his work in that section is fair. He uses particular styles and textures that can bring the scene to life (You're Father Would Be Proud, Hope) and bring a tear to your eye (Stardust). It is a powerful, emotional, exciting, and balanced score. 

6 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Jyn's theme is a very good musical representation of her gentle and innocent nature,

lol wut

7 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The Imperial Suite is excellent, considering most other composers may have just directly used the Imperial March the whole time, it was a good move and still has hints of that ESB classic.

No, it is not. It is an inferior pastiche of the Imperial March; it sounds like a parody theme, like something from a How it Should Have Ended video. It is a seriously weak and awkward composition that sounds nothing like a proper villain theme in a serious movie, much less a Star Wars movie.

18 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The Guardians of the Whills theme is underused but still enchanting.

Another pastiche, this time of Williams' Across the Stars. Probably the best theme from the movie, though that's not saying much.

20 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

He uses particular styles and textures that can bring the scene to life ... and bring a tear to your eye ...

Not mine.

21 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

It is a powerful, emotional, exciting, and balanced score. 

Amazing post 10/10 made me laugh

2 minutes ago, John said:

No, it is not. It is an inferior pastiche of the Imperial March; it sounds like a parody theme,

At the time I said it sounded like it could've been a theme for Dark Helmet in Spaceballs

While I agree on the main Imperial theme being silly, I still maintain that the Krennic specific portion is the best theme in that score.