Your J.W. collection.

Naïve Old Fart

This is a different question to "how large is your collection?".

For instance: I recently bought Frank Sinatra's "Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back" because it contains the track "Dream Away". Does anyone else have this? Does, for exapmple, anyone have the Carol Burnett c.d., with "Love's The Only game In Town"? Is this important to J.W. fans, or are people sastified with the OSTs? Thor has made a point of not collecting complete scores, and some fans do not purchase bootlegs, on principle.

While we are on the subject: how many bought the recent Shirley Bassey c.d., because it contained a new song by John Barry, and Don Black (I bought it because it cintained a new song by the Pet Shop Boys, but that is a completely different story...)?

However, the question still stands, asked by the gentleman concerned: how much of a completist are you?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stick with soundtracks (complete if possible) and albums that have new material, composed by Williams. So I don't have Tom Sawyer or some of the Boston Pops albums that feature re-recordings of Williams' and other composer's works.

I usually stay away from compilation recordings, unless there is music on them that isn't available elsewhere.

Eh, I picked up a few albums of JW conducting the Boston Pops or hanging out with Itzhak Perlman because they were used and thus cheap. Fortunately they were not discarded.

Not very, I'm afraid.

I have my bases covered with certain essentials, however:

The Concord Indiana Jones box.

The Silva Raiders CD.

Close Encounters (20th Anniversary edition)

E.T. (Expanded)

The Star Wars Anthology

The Star Wars Complete 2CD releases

All 3 Star Wars prequels, including TPM: UE (yuck, but I like some of the cues)

Jaws (Expanded)

A.I.

Memoirs Of A Geisha

Catch Me If You Can

The Witches Of Eastwick.

... and some more standard OSTs.

I stick with soundtracks (complete if possible) and albums that have new material, composed by Williams. So I don't have Tom Sawyer or some of the Boston Pops albums that feature re-recordings of Williams' and other composer's works.

I usually stay away from compilation recordings, unless there is music on them that isn't available elsewhere.

This. I don't think I own any compilation albums, actually.

Almost everything:

-All post 1970 c.d.'s, OSTs ,original albums + expanded editions

-All Boston Pops albums with an original Williams composition

-All officially concert pieces /celebratory fanfares on official c.d.'s

-Some compilations and re-recordings by other conductors

-All known boots /leaked recording sessions (the ones that I know about) ,expanded Prequel scores made from videogame files

-I think I'm up to date with random rare recordings that show up from time to time (E.T. botanicus, football themes, live concerts recording of an unreleased piece and that kind of thing)

I'm missing a few FSM 60's comedy score c.d.'s but have cdr's

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

The Accidental Tourist

Aisle Seat: Great Film Music

Alfred Hitchcock Presents...Signatures in Suspense

Always

Amazing Stores

Amazing Stories: Anthology One

Amazing Stories: Anthology Three

American Journey

American Spectrum

Amistad

Angela's Ashes

Black Sunday

Born on the Fourth of July

By Request...The Best of John Williams and the Boston Pops

Catch Me If You Can

Checkmate/Rhythm in Motion

Cinderella Liberty

Cinema Gala: Star Wars/Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Cinema Serenade

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Varèse)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Star Wars

Close Encounters of the Third Kind: The Collector's Edition

Close Encounters: The Essential John Williams Film Music Collection

The Cowboys

Diamond Head/Gone with the Wave

Dracula

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1996)

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: The 20th Anniversary

The Eiger Sanction

Empire of the Sun

The Empire Strikes Back (Charles Gerhardt)

The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition

Far and Away

Fiddler on the Roof: 30th Anniversary Edition

Film Music Masterworks: Film Music by John Williams

The Fury

Great Film Fantasies

The Great Movie Scores from the Films of Steven Spielberg

A Guide for the Married Man

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (recording sessions)

Heartbeeps

Home Alone

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York: The Deluxe Edition

Hook

How to Steal a Million/Bachelor Flat

Images

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

The Indiana Jones Trilogy

Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection

Jane Eyre

Jaws

Jaws (Joel McNeely)

Jaws 2

Jaws: Anniversary Collector's Edition

Jericho/The Ghostbreaker

JFK

John Goldfarb, Please Come Home!

John Williams Conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy

Joy to the World

Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park: The Classic John Williams

Land of the Giants

Lost in Space: 40th Anniversary Edition

Lost in Space: Volume One

Lost in Space: Volume Three

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing

Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha: Live Session EP

Minority Report

The Missouri Breaks

Monsignor

Munich

Music for Stage and Screen

The Music of America: John Williams

The Music of John Williams: 40 Years of Film Music

Nixon

None But the Brave

Not With My Wife, You Don't!/Any Wednesday

Out of This World

The Patriot

Penelope/Bachelor in Paradise

Pops Britannia

Pops in Space

The Poseidon Adventure

Presumed Innocent

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1995)

The Reivers

Return of the Jedi

Return of the Jedi: Special Edition

The River

Rosewood

Sabrina

Salute to Hollywood

Saving Private Ryan

Schindler's List

Schindler's List: The Classic Film Music of John Williams

Seven Years in Tibet

Sleepers

SpaceCamp

The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration

Star Tracks

Star Tracks II

Star Wars

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

The Star Wars Trilogy

Star Wars Trilogy: The Original Soundtrack Anthology

Star Wars: A New Hope: Special Edition

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace: The Ultimate Edition

Star Wars: The Sound of Hollywood

Stepmom

Summon the Heroes

Superman: The Movie (Warner)

Superman: The Movie (Rhino)

Superman: The Music (1978-1988)

Swing, Swing, Swing

The Terminal

The Time Tunnel

The Towering Inferno

The Towering Inferno and Other Disaster Classics

War of the Worlds

Williams on Williams: The Classic Spielberg Scores

The Witches of Eastwick

What? No Fitzwilly? :lol:

Impressive collections. I have to say, after picking up the Fury, I feel like that is the hardest to achieve title out there, and now I feel the compulsion to become a completist.

I want the FSM Poseidon Adventure for The Paper Chase (not happening for the prices it demands), but I'm looking forward to what's included on that upcoming 20th Century Fox music set.

Towards the top of my to-buy list are Goodbye, Mr. Chips, Heidi, Earthquake, Movie Legends: The Music of John Williams, Midway, Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams, The Five Sacred Trees, Treesong, John Williams Violin Concerto/Flute Concerto, 20th-Century Tuba Concertos, John Williams Duo Concertante Duos for Violin and Viola and Thomas and the King. Fortunately, many of these are available for reasonable prices and/or still in print. But they're the kind of thing where I get one a week, or every other week. I've taken many months off from that practice, so I haven't gotten any new JW music since Music of America. It's mostly his concertos and more obscure stuff I need.

My collection is not very extensive. I own more CDs by him than by any other composer, I'm sure, but there are still a lot of scores I haven't purchased yet. I'm okay with that...I only buy music if I'm sure I'll want to listen to it repeatedly and if I have enough money to justify the purchase. This keeps my rate fairly low, which means that as more Williams albums slowly trickle into my collection, it'll be a long time before I run out of new Williams. :(

Regarding "Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back" specifically, it's one I've been meaning to pick up. IIRC, it is available on iTunes, which I would usually use when I only want one song, but it's Sinatra, and I love his recording of "Send in the Clowns" from that album, so I'm sure I'd enjoy the whole thing.

But no, I don't always feel compelled to buy a CD just for one track by JW, if I can buy it individually. Like Ornella Vanoni's recording of "Uno Di Qua L'Altro Di Là" from Story of a Woman, for example.

What? No Fitzwilly? :(

Impressive collections. I have to say, after picking up the Fury, I feel like that is the hardest to achieve title out there, and now I feel the compulsion to become a completist.

I always thought that was Jane Eyre.

I have enough JW. There are some I don't have which I should, and some I do have that I don't like that much, but I have enough of the bases covered. I don't have much of his earlier stuff (not that fond of it), but probably the biggest omission is the blue box, but I'm still having trouble with paying that much for really one score.

I'm more of a completist with Goldsmith *ducks* but even that's gone by the wayside because it's just too damn expensive, and like Elliot said, the secondary market prices for some things are ludicrous.

I define my completist Williams urge thusly:

I need to have ONE GOOD REPRESENTATION of each of his compositions.

That means that I don't really need any C&C versions as long as there is a good album listening representation of the score and I don't really need any albums where he is involved in other capacities than composer (pianist, conductor, arranger etc.). That said, I DO own a few expansions, as well as a bunch of albums where he is pianist, arranger, compilations etc. These are mostly for curiosity value, though, and I could live perfectly well without them.

I am NOT one of those who need to have everything that has the words 'John Williams' on it.

Three things I'm currently missing that fall inside my definition:

The duo concertante (the CD is so damn expensive...waiting for download possibilites!)

The Eleventh Hour (episode score in the FSM TV Omnibus set, but I have to buy the whole set to get it, and I can't afford that)

Horn Concerto (waiting for the CD release....plus, my iTunes is screwed up)

I think I have almost everything. I still miss some Boston Pops albums, but other than that I collected almost everything.

Of ocurse I'm not taking into the count the zillion compilation albums by Silva Screen or other labels where there's his music conducted by others (I have only those where there's something still unavailable in other formats, like "The Rare Breed").

This is a different question to "how large is your collection?".

For instance: I recently bought Frank Sinatra's "Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back" because it contains the track "Dream Away". Does anyone else have this? Does, for exapmple, anyone have the Carol Burnett c.d., with "Love's The Only game In Town"? Is this important to J.W. fans, or are people sastified with the OSTs? Thor has made a point of not collecting complete scores, and some fans do not purchase bootlegs, on principle.

I have both... and many more bought just for a new recording of a theme or a song.

I do get complete scores, but I prefer Williams prepared albuns. As for bootlegs, unless it's recordings sessions, I don't care for them. I'm done with the fan made ones.

I also collect every recording on which Williams worked -- as a pianist, arranger, conductor...

While we are on the subject: how many bought the recent Shirley Bassey c.d., because it contained a new song by John Barry, and Don Black (I bought it because it cintained a new song by the Pet Shop Boys, but that is a completely different story...)?

However, the question still stands, asked by the gentleman concerned: how much of a completist are you?

I sure didn't. The only Bassey recording I have is because of her performance of "Can You Read My Mind".

Yeah, Miguel, you're crazier than I! :(

I'm far more obsessed/concerned about getting Williams compositions released that don't even have a bootleg release...than I am getting expansions or reissues of the known and familiar.

I laid my collection out and took a picture to post on Facebook one day. Pretty average, I imagine, for these boards but leagues ahead of anyone I know in "real life." I'm still catching up though. Usually I just keep on eye out on the Low Quantity Alerts thread, and order when necessary. Not that I don't love the early stuff, but I gotta pay the bills!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?fbid=471600892288&set=a.471600547288.242868.749512288

I have mainly OSTs, the odd compilation (from pre-internet, purer days), a couple of expanded scores and a shit load of legit and illegit Mp3/Flacs.

I am in no way a completist or even a collector. That's not to say my love for film music is secondary to other music - it isn't. I'm just extremely fussy what I buy, for instance - I won't buy an expanded album to a score I already own if it just has one or two extra cues. I'll just get hold of the individual mp3s through other means. Sometimes iTunes, other times not. I'm not bothered about cases and artwork; although I do love the SW Anthology set.

I never feel bad for acquiring tracks illegitimately if I've previously bought an 'incomplete' album a few years earlier.

That's why the isolated score function is so great, you can just flip the sound option just before she starts monologuing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that.

I just make sure I sing louder than Margot Kidder.

And I'm glad I am the only one that does that.

I laid my collection out and took a picture to post on Facebook one day. Pretty average, I imagine, for these boards but leagues ahead of anyone I know in "real life." I'm still catching up though. Usually I just keep on eye out on the Low Quantity Alerts thread, and order when necessary. Not that I don't love the early stuff, but I gotta pay the bills!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?fbid=471600892288&set=a.471600547288.242868.749512288

You have a lot of the good stuff. From rough glance, you just need Amazing Stories Volumes I and III, the Star Wars Anthology, the old Jaws, the older E.T.'s, Close Encounters, Towering Inferno (good luck) and the Gerhardt Star Wars trilogy. Then you're set for life.

I love a good list. Here's my collection (leaving out iTunes purchases unless they are exclusively on iTunes):

The Accidental Tourist (FSM Re-release)

Air and Simple Gifts (iTunes Exclusive)

Always

Amazing Stories Volume I

Amazing Stories Volume II

Amazing Stories Volume III

American Journey

Amistad

Angela's Ashes (UK Import)

Bachelor Flat (Intrada)

Black Sunday

By Request - The Best of John Williams and the Boston Pops

Catch Me If You Can

Checkmate (FSM)

Cinderella Liberty

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Collector's Edition)

The Cowboys

The Denver Brass Plays the Music of John Williams

Dracula

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (OST)

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (20th Anniversary Expansion)

The Eiger Sanction

Empire of the Sun

Far and Away

The Fury (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Heartbeeps

Home Alone

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (OST)

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Hook

How to Steal A Million (Intrada)

Images

Raiders of the Lost Ark (DCC Edition)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (Concord Expansion)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Japanese Import OST)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Concord Edition)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (OST)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Concord Edition)

Jane Eyre (Re-issue)

Jaws (Collector's Edition)

Jaws 2

JFK

John Williams on Piano

John Williams and Yo-Yo Ma - Live Recording of Memoirs of a Geisha (iTunes exclusive)

John Williams on Radio

John Williams: Greatest Hits (1969-1999)

None But the Brave

Jurassic Park

Lost in Space (40th Anniversary Edition)

Memoirs of a Geisha

Midway

Minority Report

The Missouri Breaks

Monsignor

Munich

Nixon

The Patriot

Penelope

The Poseidon Adventure (La La Land Complete Score)

The Reivers

Rhythm in Motion (FSM)

The River

Sabrina

Saving Private Ryan

Schindler's List

Seven Years in Tibet

SpaceCamp (Intrada Re-issue)

Star Wars and Other Galactic Funk (Meco)

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (OST)

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (Ultimate Edition)

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (OST)

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (Target Bonus Edition)

Star Wars (RCA Expansion)

The Empire Strikes Back (RCA Expansion)

Return of the Jedi (2004 Sony Re-release)

Stepmom

Superman: The Movie (Rhino Edition)

Superman: The Movie (Blue Box Edition)

Superman IV: Quest for Peace (Blue Box Edition)

The Terminal

War of the Worlds

Williams on Williams

The Witches of Eastwick

20th Century Concerti

You have a lot of the good stuff. From rough glance, you just need Amazing Stories Volumes I and II, the Star Wars Anthology, the old Jaws, the older E.T.'s, Close Encounters, Towering Inferno (good luck) and the Gerhardt Star Wars trilogy. Then you're set for life.

Right on. I've acquired Amazing Stories I and III since then. Will work on the rest!

I have only a small selection of scores from Williams. As you know he's not my favorite composer. For the list here is what I have for him on physical CD.

Black Sunday (Film Score Monthly)

Home Alone 2: Lost In New York (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Indiana Jones: Raiders Of The Lost Ark (Concord Expansion)

Indiana Jones: The Temple Of Doom (Concord Expansion)

Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade (Concord Expansion)

Indiana Jones: Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (Concord)

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (OST)

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (Anthology / RCA 97' SE)

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (Anthology / RCA 97' SE)

Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi (Anthology / RCA 97' SE)

Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones (Target Bonus Edition)

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith (OST and Promotional Single)

Superman: The Movie (OST)

Superman: The Movie (Film Score Monthly)

At one point I had the following scores on CD...

Home Alone (OST)

Hook (OST)

Jurassic Park (OST)

The CD's I had before that I just listed they became a causality when I was living in Vegas. Back then I didn't care about my CD's, well care enough to take care of them well. These days I do and I do plan to get those ones again. All though if Hook ends up being one of LLL's November 30th titles, I won't have to worry about an obsolete version of the score.

I did have Home Alone with me when I moved up to Utah but I recently discovered it was too scratched up to rip properly so I chucked it. I'm hoping that one of the labels ends up releasing the full version for that some day.

The following CD's I would love to get sometime...

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (OST)

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (20th Anniversary Edition)

Schindler's List (OST)

War Of The World (OST)

The Witches Of Eastwick (OST)

Now if we're talking about boots (complete or expanded), well...here is what I have.

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

Hook

Schindler's List

The Witches Of Eastwick

Then of course my own edits of the Prequel scores and my remastered Original Trilogy edits.

I love a good list. Here's my collection (leaving out iTunes purchases unless they are exclusively on iTunes):

The Accidental Tourist (FSM Re-release)

Air and Simple Gifts (iTunes Exclusive)

Always

Amazing Stories Volume I

Amazing Stories Volume II

Amazing Stories Volume III

American Journey

Amistad

Angela's Ashes (UK Import)

Bachelor Flat (Intrada)

Black Sunday

By Request - The Best of John Williams and the Boston Pops

Catch Me If You Can

Checkmate (FSM)

Cinderella Liberty

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Collector's Edition)

The Cowboys

The Denver Brass Plays the Music of John Williams

Dracula

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (OST)

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (20th Anniversary Expansion)

The Eiger Sanction

Empire of the Sun

Far and Away

The Fury (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Heartbeeps

Home Alone

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (OST)

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Hook

How to Steal A Million (Intrada)

Images

Raiders of the Lost Ark (DCC Edition)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (Concord Expansion)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Japanese Import OST)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Concord Edition)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (OST)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Concord Edition)

Jane Eyre (Re-issue)

Jaws (Collector's Edition)

Jaws 2

JFK

John Williams on Piano

John Williams and Yo-Yo Ma - Live Recording of Memoirs of a Geisha (iTunes exclusive)

John Williams on Radio

None But the Brave

Jurassic Park

Lost in Space (40th Anniversary Edition)

Memoirs of a Geisha

Midway

Minority Report

The Missouri Breaks

Monsignor

Munich

Nixon

The Patriot

Penelope

The Poseidon Adventure (La La Land Complete Score)

The Reivers

Rhythm in Motion (FSM)

The River

Sabrina

Saving Private Ryan

Schindler's List

Seven Years in Tibet

SpaceCamp (Intrada Re-issue)

Star Wars and Other Galactic Funk (Meco)

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (OST)

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (Target Bonus Edition)

Star Wars (RCA Expansion)

The Empire Strikes Back (RCA Expansion)

Return of the Jedi (2004 Sony Re-release)

Stepmom

Superman: The Movie (Rhino Edition)

Superman: The Movie (Blue Box Edition)

Superman IV: Quest for Peace (Blue Box Edition)

The Terminal

War of the Worlds

Williams on Williams

The Witches of Eastwick

20th Century Concerti

How long did that take to type out? Read the OP - this isn't a lists thread.

My little collection includes:

Star Wars Prequels (Includes TPM UE)

Star Wars Original Trilogy (2004 Sony re-release)

Indiana Jones The Soundtracks Collection

Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (OST)

Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (OST)

HP SS; HP COS; HP POA

Minority Report

Superman Isolated Score DVD

The Six Star Wars Films (a compilation performed by The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra)

That's why the isolated score function is so great, you can just flip the sound option just before she starts monologuing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that.

You sly dog, you got her MONOLOGUING!

What about vinyl, cassettes, etc?

How long did that take to type out? Read the OP - this isn't a lists thread.

Eh, I had nothing better to do.

To answer the original post, I want to get at least one representation of every score or piece of music that has been released by John Williams. For instance, I don't need all 3 versions of Jaws - I'm fine with only have the Collector's Edition. That said, once I reach that goal I may look into duplicates, etc. I do like collecting a lot.

You need multiple versions for several scores, in my opinion. I like to have the original album presentations for a variety of reasons. It is the intended listening experience by Williams, there are unique recordings not found elsewhere, etc.

With E.T., for example, you need at least three versions. The original album, which contains the original Williams arrangement, unique versions of various tracks, definitive recordings of Flying and Over the Moon and the film version of The Departure (and JW's single greatest track ever). The 1996 version, with superior mixing and a couple alternate tracks exclusive to it--Searching for E.T. and the End Credits. The 20th Anniversary version is, of course, absolutely necessary as well for the additional tracks.

You need multiple versions for several scores, in my opinion. I like to have the original album presentations for a variety of reasons. It is the intended listening experience by Williams, there are unique recordings not found elsewhere, etc.

With E.T., for example, you need at least three versions. The original album, which contains the original Williams arrangement, unique versions of various tracks, definitive recordings of Flying and Over the Moon and the film version of The Departure (and JW's single greatest track ever). The 1996 version, with superior mixing and a couple alternate tracks exclusive to it--Searching for E.T. and the End Credits. The 20th Anniversary version is, of course, absolutely necessary as well for the additional tracks.

Oh yeah, I'll buy whatever I want music-wise - I'm just saying that at a bare minimum I want to at some point have one representation of each officially released JW score.

Interesting about E.T., though. I have the OST and the 20th Anniversary version, but I would be very interested in alternates of "Searching for E.T." and "End Credits." I'll consider getting this.

You certainly don't NEED to have anything.....but you CAN if you will. I am perfectly pleased with the ol', original MCA CD myself. I also have the 20th anniv. edition in the E.T. DVD gift box set, but it just stays there. I never play it.