La-La Land announces Home Alone (Complete)

Jay

I don't mind the UE that much... some bits are annoying, but I can deal with it as it has some great unreleased cues, like 'Anakin Is Free'. The OST is okay, but there a lot of highlights it misses.

The TPM OST is one of the worst, worst presentations of a score it's ever been my misfortune to hear. For all its flaws and false advertising, the UE is at least an attempt to do it right, just a horribly botched one.

Having the UE and the OST is better than having just the OST - and the time of the UE's release, I was blissfully ignorant of its flaws - but it's unfortunate that they didn't just release a genuine complete soundtrack.

But that's exactly what the UE is -- it's a complete soundtrack.

It's just that the people who produced it didn't know the difference between the music "as recorded" and the music "as presented." They thought they were doing us a favor by releasing the isolated score to the movie, and were too uninformed to know that's really not what we wanted.

I can only imagine what the album art would have looked like...

Having the UE and the OST is better than having just the OST - and the time of the UE's release, I was blissfully ignorant of its flaws - but it's unfortunate that they didn't just release a genuine complete soundtrack.

I agree with you on this.

Yes, that soundtrack was just produced by all the wrong people. I'd like to hear the story behind it.

I think it was Doug Adams who recalled talking to the executives behind it, who were mystified at why it hadn't been received well - he explained the difference between the UE and a proper intended score, and the response was along the lines of "to hell with these people".

So unfortunately the only thing they seemed to lack was anyone who knew how to produce a complete score. Nothing vital or anything....

But that's exactly what the UE is -- it's a complete soundtrack.

It's just that the people who produced it didn't know the difference between the music "as recorded" and the music "as presented." They thought they were doing us a favor by releasing the isolated score to the movie, and were too uninformed to know that's really not what we wanted.

I can only imagine what the album art would have looked like...

Indeed. However, it really wasn't a true isolated score. As some things were changed for a 'better listening experience'. We know that "Augie's Great Municipal Band" wasn't the film version and same for a couple of other cues.

Hopefully either this year or maybe soon we'll get the real full complete Prequel scores.

I like the UE a little bit. I think the sound quality is absolutely phenomenal. The depth of that recording is enormous. That's why I can't really listen to fan edits. The edits from other sources are too glaring for me. I just basically have a "best of phantom menace" on the iTunes. The original OST, plus some odds and ends from the UE. Phantom is my Grail. The energy JW put into that score is unbelievable.

The UE does have killer sound quality. The only good thing about the production process is that it wasn't put through Shawn Murphy's Mud Machine.

Hahaha Brilliant.

Quick Question:

In the track "Man of the House" (Limited Edition) there is a weird sound effect from 0:28-0:32.

Anybody know how that was achieved? Sounds kinda like waves hitting a rocky beach, or something. :) Anyway, I wonder why JW did that!

Most likely a synthesizer effect. Williams sometimes calls for white noise or wind sound effects or whatnot in the synth parts. The only other possibility would be that it's some type of cymbal roll, but I doubt that. Doesn't sound like any cymbal I've ever heard. As for WHY he did it, I haven't seen the film in a loooooooooooong time, and I don't think I even saw the whole thing, so I really couldn't say. It works nicely as a sort of transitional element, though.

It doesn't sound like a rainstick to me. With a rainstick, you can still sorta hear the sounds of the individual beads or whatever inside, but this is a very fluid, continuous sound. I still contend it was probably a synth effect. Definitely not unintentional tape hiss, either, since it only starts as the music is ending, and the natural hiss is NEVER that loud anyway.

I don't know what it is but it's definitely not a cymbal. It's not a rainstick either. It sounds similarly to ocean drum but it's not that either. I think I'd also go for a synth effect.

What I really like about the score is the clever Dies Irae/Carol of the Bells dichotomy applied to the Marley character. Clever.

Karol

Yeah, that was a big surprise for me to read in the liner notes. I love kind of stuff.

Most likely a synthesizer effect. Williams sometimes calls for white noise or wind sound effects or whatnot in the synth parts. The only other possibility would be that it's some type of cymbal roll, but I doubt that. Doesn't sound like any cymbal I've ever heard. As for WHY he did it, I haven't seen the film in a loooooooooooong time, and I don't think I even saw the whole thing, so I really couldn't say. It works nicely as a sort of transitional element, though.

Yes, I agree, it's probably a sythethizer. My guess would be that JW wanted to convey Kevin's utter helplessness at that brief moment, as if he were in a limbo-like state, stranded all alone in an ocean of white, as it were.

Remember how, in the WotW DVD feature on the score, JW talked about the actions cues, and how he wanted to humanize the alien attacks by mixing very very subtle (distorted?) human screams into the score? With all that's going through JW head when writing these cues, I bet there was something very deliberate and definite behind the use of that sound effect.

:)

I always handle liner notes by the edges of the paper, like photos. :P

Haha, +1, and here I thought I was the only possessed madman to do that :D

You guys are nuts! :lol::P

I just wash my hands before I touch the CD... or the booklet.

You're talking about the part where the old man appears and Kevin runs back into the house. It was an intentional effect.

Yes, it definitely was intentional.

I only read the liner notes once or twice when I first get the CD and then usually never touch them again.

+1 too...

did i already mention that i do not make spine creases in mass market paperback books?

I need a life LOL

did i already mention that i do not make spine creases in mass market paperback books?

Guys, sorry for the OT but LOOOL, this is SO HILARIOUS!!! ROTFLMAO

What's even funnier is I used to do it too but gave it up some time ago, if I really deform a book I like I can always buy another one ... :lol:

I'm careful with books, but not overly so. I'll let the spine crease if need be (although I won't be happy about it), but I prefer to remember which page I'm on instead of dog-earing the corners.

Well OK, I'll admit it's funny but if you manage to get some particularly greasy figerprints on it, it can smudge the printing and make the whole thing look really miserable. It's also up to the way and the materials the booklet was printed with as different booklets are more or less susceptible to fingerprints. But in the end it can be a problem, I remember a friend borrowed one of my CDs and I got it back with the booklet and the disc in really bad condition (:angry:) so eventually, I decided to replace it ...

Guys, sorry for the OT but LOOOL, this is SO HILARIOUS!!! ROTFLMAO

What's even funnier is I used to do it too but gave it up some time ago, if I really deform a book I like I can always buy another one ... :lol:

but since i like my books to match editions for shelf display... and they are constantly re-printing with new covers and spine layouts...you cant just buy another one! :(:lol:

Ah, yes, I see your point. Though it may happen you get lucky, provided you manage to get that same edition from some bookstore or another who still has it in stock ... Though it's true, the paperback editions are changing constantly.

Now, where were we ... Ah, Home Alone! :D I do so much love this new edition! :joy: Somebody wrote that it wasn't necessary, but for me, it certainly was and will continue to be one of my favourite JW (re)releases for many years to come! ^_^

It's not a score I jumped with joy at seeing reissued, but it's one of those scores I never bought originally (mostly due to all the songs on the first release) and a chance to own it legal and complete was perfect.

I'm loving the alternate Finale and Setting the Trap is also getting lots of listens. The 'Carol of the Bells' works so well with that tempo, and I love that JW didn't have to do any stupid microedits to present the cue as a self-contained listenable piece.

Just been sifting through the track listing (shouldn't that be "Head Count"?).

No it's definitely "Hard Count". MV even said it was that. It's because Buzz was starting to be a smart ass to trying to get Heather to mess up during the count.

Just been sifting through the track listing (shouldn't that be "Head Count"?).

No it's definitely "Hard Count". MV even said it was that. It's because Buzz was starting to be a smart ass to trying to get Heather to mess up during the count.

A pretty funny implementation of a plot device :)

John Williams had absolutely nothing to do with the blip of music heard in "Angels With Filthy Souls", hence why it is not on the LLL CD.

For HA2, he did write original music for Angels With Even Filthier Souls

John Williams had absolutely nothing to do with the blip of music heard in "Angels With Filthy Souls", hence why it is not on the LLL CD.

For HA2, he did write original music for Angels With Even Filthier Souls

Thanks for that, Jason. Call myself a Williams fan, eh? :rolleyes:

Does anyone know who did write the "score" for "AWFS"?