La-La Land announces Home Alone (Complete)

Jay

Besides, they are bonus cues. Looking at the track lists the originals are included in the body of the score and the instrumentals are in the bonus section.

Well it's probably just the cues without the lyrics. Much like Varese did with Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas.

They didn't dial anything out.

I thought one of those was Instrumental (instruments playing the part of the choir) which is different than choir-less.

I just listened to the sample for Christmas carol medley. I don't remember this in the movie..

was it source music that went unnoticed?

I guess so. There's source music in the scene where Kevin goes shopping and the scene where Kate meets Gus Polinski at the airport.

Just saw the whole movie again, and those carols aren't heard anywhere!

anyway, i wonder what is it.. if it is for an abandoned scene or something...

Besides, they are bonus cues. Looking at the track lists the originals are included in the body of the score and the instrumentals are in the bonus section.

yeah i said it was not a problem in the end.

I just listened to the sample for Christmas carol medley. I don't remember this in the movie..

was it source music that went unnoticed?

I guess so. There's source music in the scene where Kevin goes shopping and the scene where Kate meets Gus Polinski at the airport.

Just saw the whole movie again, and those carols aren't heard anywhere!

anyway, i wonder what is it.. if it is for an abandoned scene or something...

I guess the booklet will explain it.

We wish you a merry christmas seems to have choir in both versions, doesnt it?

I don't think so. According to the tracklist on the LLL website track 28 includes lyrics by Leslie Bricusse only and track 34 includes lyrics by "Traditional" and Leslie Bricuesse.

I can't wait for this.

I haven't been this excited for a release since the Superman Blue Box. I absolutely adore the Home Alone score.

We wish you a merry christmas seems to have choir in both versions, doesnt it?

I don't think so. According to the tracklist on the LLL website track 28 includes lyrics by Leslie Bricusse only and track 34 includes lyrics by "Traditional" and Leslie Bricuesse.

d'uh.

i missed that,i just saw "chorus and orchestra"...

The Christmas Carol Medley is

O Come All Ye Faithful

Noel, Noel

Joey To The World

Hark The Herald Angel Sings

and one more I didn't recognize (don't have the book in front of me)

Well it's probably just the cues without the lyrics. Much like Varese did with Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas.

They didn't dial anything out.

They just used the orchestral recording without the choir takes. I think it's listed as "instrumental" on the track listing, so I was rather disappointed when it was just the same thing sans the choir. It doesn't really work that way, because the balance is completely off, Williams having orchestrated the choir passages differently than the parts where the choir is silent.

Hmmm, yes.

But then, that's just a novelty, I guess, or if you want to have your family singing along to the music orchestrated by JW... :)

The Christmas Carol Medley is

O Come All Ye Faithful

Noel, Noel

Joey To The World

Hark The Herald Angel Sings

and one more I didn't recognize (don't have the book in front of me)

But these were arranged by JW, right? Like O Holy Night and Carol of the Bells.

I dunno. Don't have the booklet in front of me. But it sounds nice. Its purely instrumental, no choir

Those were Williams arrangements? The original album doesn't list them as such, and I think it states different performers than for the actual score.

Well in the film for the cue "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" (plays during the End Credits) actually does NOT have the choir.

Probably an editorial decision that didn't favor the music. Notice how you can barely hear the melody (on horns) in the instrumental version. That's because the choir was supposed to carry the melody. Nice to have it, though.

Well in the film for the cue "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" (plays during the End Credits) actually does NOT have the choir.

Probably an editorial decision that didn't favor the music. Notice how you can barely hear the melody (on horns) in the instrumental version. That's because the choir was supposed to carry the melody. Nice to have it, though.

Ah I did not know that. I guess I never really compared the two fully.

Edit: I figured out that last piece for "Christmas Carol Medley", it's "Away In A Manger". When I was listening to it, I knew I had heard the piece before but was having a brain fart on the title. I paid close attention to the strings and then remembered it.

Those were Williams arrangements? The original album doesn't list them as such, and I think it states different performers than for the actual score.

I have always assumed so, yes. And I think it's not an unreasonable assumption.

If anybody else would have done it, he or she would have been credited, I think.

A question for those who already have the Home Alone expanded and also the OST: Which is a better listening experience?

A question for those who already have the Home Alone expanded and also the OST: Which is a better listening experience?

Easy La-La Land's is definitely the best. The original CBS version isn't that great, I never really cared for it. Plus the sound quality on La-La Land's is ten times better.

I think that this comedy score feels so different from some of the JWs early comedy efforts because Home Alone is a focused comedy score. It is not going to ten directions at once but maintains a certain atmosphere and style throughout. Some of the 60's JW material is all-but-the-kitchen-sink approach which offers something new on nearly every track and as a result it can wear you out because the music is everywhere at once and has only momentary thematic hints to tie it all together and even then only loosely. Home Alone as I said before has one foot in the comedy and the other in the Christmas spirit which makes it unique and so endearing and complements the story with a set of strong themes that form a great musical narrative.

Now that you mention it Incanus...it always sounded like to me the theme for Harry and Marv sounded a lot similar to Jabba's theme.

Well I would say that they resemble each other in general tone. Both are a bit comical and plodding. The Burglar theme is a bit more bumbling in the way it is presented in the film, very deliciously comical baddie music. Jabba's tuba lead theme is a great characterization (obvious though it may be) for the obese slug he is and plays for the strangeness of the character more than the threat. I guess the music in a way hides in its comical tone how dangerous Jabba actually is.

Both themes put a smile on my face when I listen to their respective scores.

I think that this comedy score feels so different from some of the JWs early comedy efforts because Home Alone is a focused comedy score. It is not going to ten directions at once but maintains a certain atmosphere and style throughout. Some of the 60's JW material is all-but-the-kitchen-sink approach which offers something new on nearly every track and as a result it can wear you out because the music is everywhere at once and has only momentary thematic hints to tie it all together and even then only loosely. Home Alone as I said before has one foot in the comedy and the other in the Christmas spirit which makes it unique and so endearing and complements the story with a set of strong themes that form a great musical narrative.

There are many John Hughes comedies, but what makes Home Alone stand out is, undoubtedly, the Chris Columbus touch.

I think it's one of the best movies... of its kind. And JW's score puts it over the top.

Both themes put a smile on my face when I listen to their respective scores.

Yes, definitely! ;)

A small detail:

Oh Holy night and Carol of the Bells are NOT arranged by Williams and if the cd liner notes say so, it's probably a mistake.

Those are almost EXACT renditions of the scores that are in this book: ( i know because i have it)

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Christmas-in-Song/3004838

Some differences with the recording:

in "holy night" in the written score it's again one voice in the couplet after the refrain, as in the first couplet, while in the recording it's arranged for 4 voices.

But the organ is EXACTLY the same.

in carol of the bells the words are different.

in both songs maybe some of the bass voices in the written score have gone up an octave to be sung by children..

I don't think O Holy Night or Carol of the Bells ever sounded better than in Home Alone.

It's definitely my favorite presentation of O Holy Night. It gives me chills every time I hear it.

I've listened to this all the way through now. I MUCH prefer this LLL arrangement than the old OST. Just flows better. I don't like starting the album off with the 2 songs before getting into the main titles though; For future listens, I'll just begin right with the main titles. I hear all the "Somewhere In My Memory" I need between "Walking Home" and the end credits, and I don't need the instrumental "Star of Bethlehem" when you get the one with lyrics later in the album.

The alternate Finale is GORGEOUS!!! It's also great to have the film insert for Clothesline Trapeze, I will likely be editing into the cue for my edit (no need to listen to both versions when enjoying the score)

Great release, thank you very much La La Land, Mike Matessino, and everyone else!

I don't like starting the album off with the 2 songs before getting into the main titles though; For future listens, I'll just begin right with the main titles.

The program mirrors the original Home Alone 2 Fox OST CD, which started with the chorus & orchestra versions of both songs. I think it's a good way to start the program with a kind of concert overture before getting to the actual film score material.

I don't need the instrumental "Star of Bethlehem" when you get the one with lyrics later in the album.

Really? I like very much the orchestral instrumental version of "Star of Bethlehem" and I couldn't leave it off. It's one of those beautiful concert arrangement that only Williams seems able to produce. I still remember the first time I listened to it and being in awe. It's one of those cases where Williams goes well beyond the silly/childish nature of the film to compose something truly heartfelt and mature.

I guess I'd rather just listen to those pieces after the flow of the score as bonus tracks, rather than right away to kick off a listen of the score. Just my personal preference

Easy La-La Land's is definitely the best. The original CBS version isn't that great, I never really cared for it. Plus the sound quality on La-La Land's is ten times better.

This is one of the few films where the songs are important to me as well, so I'll be making two playlists for this thing - the purely orchestral one in film order with alternates at the end. The second one will the score in film order (alternates at the end) with the songs from the CBS release inserted in the appropriate places along with the two that weren't included (Run Rudolph Run and Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree). I meet even add in "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch."

I love this film. Love this score. Love the non-score tracks too. I think mine should arrive today! :P

I don't think O Holy Night or Carol of the Bells ever sounded better than in Home Alone.

Agree 100%.

I like very much the orchestral instrumental version of "Star of Bethlehem" and I couldn't leave it off. It's one of those beautiful concert arrangement that only Williams seems able to produce. I still remember the first time I listened to it and being in awe. It's one of those cases where Williams goes well beyond the silly/childish nature of the film to compose something truly heartfelt and mature.

STAR OF BETHLEHEM is actually better than some of the classic carols, i think.

The alternate Finale is GORGEOUS!!! It's also great to have the film insert for Clothesline Trapeze, I will likely be editing into the cue for my edit (no need to listen to both versions when enjoying the score)

You know... the "Clothesline Trapeze" insert is probably the first unreleased cue I ever wanted, before I even understood the concept of collecting music, let alone unreleased music. I heard it when I saw the film around the age of 7 and I just loved it. But after all that? I kinda prefer the original version with the "Star of Bethlehem" quote better. The insert is just... excessive, somehow.

I like very much the orchestral instrumental version of "Star of Bethlehem" and I couldn't leave it off. It's one of those beautiful concert arrangement that only Williams seems able to produce. I still remember the first time I listened to it and being in awe. It's one of those cases where Williams goes well beyond the silly/childish nature of the film to compose something truly heartfelt and mature.

STAR OF BETHLEHEM is actually better than some of the classic carols, i think.

I would go even farther and say all of the Christmas songs Williams wrote for Home Alone ,to include Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas from HA2, are just as good as most of the traditional carols.

Oh i just heard MC, MC! with chorus and without, and the track without is useful, because the choir version must be the film version edit and has the opening bars dialed out. The choir starts without music and then the music fades in a few seconds later.

Or the two are different performances.

I always prefer the orchestral version over the one with the sung lyrics

Orchestral Merry Christmas Merry Christmas is the best thing on the Home Alone 2 deluxe set

Well I ordered my copy of this from SAE on the 30th of November and it was shipped yesterday. So it really means they had it in stock pretty much immediately. I can't wait to hear this! :P

And I simply can't decide do I prefer the orchestral or the choral version of Star of Betlehem which is such a great song and melody. The performances are very different and orchestrations as well. Williams actually combines the two elements in Home Alone 2 with the full adult chorus version of the piece (a similar arrangement as on the Boston Pops Joy to the World album) where the performance is a whole lot more operatic than in the first film with the children's choir. And it has the wonderful slightly dissonant orchestral crescendo from the orchestral version and the sublime delicate denouement at the end.

I don't mind that. In many countries the carols sound different. From what I remember the Spanish carols seem to be more jovial than ours.

It would be probably to complicated to sing for regular people though.

Karol

Oh i just heard MC, MC! with chorus and without, and the track without is useful, because the choir version must be the film version edit and has the opening bars dialed out. The choir starts without music and then the music fades in a few seconds later.

Or the two are different performances.

Luke, for the true HA2 completist, you must seek out the Home Alone Christmas CD which features the choir version, with the opening bars. Sublime. And don't forget the Keith Lockhart version which has a concert arrangement with a different (but also wonderful) intro.

Orchestral Merry Christmas Merry Christmas is the best thing on the Home Alone 2 deluxe set

Yes! It's a masterpiece.

While good, i think the crescendo makes it a little bit 'scary' or powerful for a carol.

I've always felt this way, and it has always put a little distance between me and Star of Bethlehem. Oddly enough, nothing in the film itself seems to be as scary or dramatic as the tone of Star of Bethlehem suggests, and if I recall, it isn't all too prominent in the film (is it?).

I guess I'm a big softie because I prefer HA2's Christmas Star for the warm fuzzies and friendly lyrics.

Speaking of Star of Bethlehem, I prefer the Boston Pops. performance on the Joy to the World album. It's a softer and more appropriate. This album gets a lot of playtime around this time of the year btw. I enjoy it quite a bit. Especially A Christmas Bouquet medley.

Karol

Ok I'm going to re-shuffle this c.d. this way:

Any song with lyrics (including the Williams ones) goes at the end of the album

Star of Bethlehem orchestral goes in the position of where the choir version is now

Alternates go into the score proper

Delete from playlist End Credits with choir

I think this will help make it sound more like a regular John Williams score and less a hybrid JW score/Christmas song medley album

Like this:

Complete Score

1. Home Alone (Main Theme) 1:27

2. Go Pack Your Suitcase/ Introducing Marley/In Good Hands * 1:51

3. Banished to the Attic 1:07

4. We Slept In/Hard Count * 1:20

5. Making the Plane :54

6. The Basement 2:18

7. Target Practice/Sledding on the Stairs ** 1:31

8. Lights On/Guess Who's Home/ Paris Arrival * 3:18

9. The Man of the House/ Police Check ** 1:22

10. The Bookshelf 1:10

11. Phone Machine/Drug Store/ Escape Across the Ice ** 3:06

12. Follow That Kid! 2:12

13. Listening to Carson * :44

14. Cleaning Clothes/Kitchen * 1:39

15. Scammed by a Kindergartner 2:10

16. Star of Bethlehem [Orchestral Version] 2:54

17. Walking Home [Without Chorus] 1:05

18. Setting the Trap 2:31

19. The Attack Begins 1:30

20. Marv Enters the Basement/ A Hot Hand/Sore Head * † 2:50

21. Paint Cans 2:06

22. Clothesline Trapeze / Marley to the Rescue ** 4:13

33. Clothesline Trapeze [Film Version Insert] * :23

24. The Next Morning/ Mom Returns/Finale 4:26

35. Finale [Alternate – O Holy Night] * 1:34

26. We Wish You a Merry Christmas/ End Title (Somewhere in My Memory) † 4:19 (Lyrics: Leslie Bricusse) Chorus & Orchestra

Additionnal music/Songs

27. Somewhere in My Memory † 3:24 (Lyrics: Leslie Bricusse) Chorus & Orchestra

Additional Music

28. Walking Home (Somewhere in My Memory) † 1:06 (Lyrics: Leslie Bricusse) Chorus & Orchestra

29. Star of Bethlehem † 3:00 (Lyrics: Leslie Bricusse) with Children's Chorus

30. Jingle Bells * 1:02

31. Christmas Carol Medley * 7:43

32. Carol of the Bells 1:27 (Translation of Lyrics: Peter Wilhousky) Chorus & Orchestra

33. O Holy Night 2:51 (Composer: Adolphe Adam) (Translation of Lyrics: John S. Dwight) Chorus & Orchestra Arranged by John Williams. Published by Fox Film Music Corp. (BMI)