La-La Land announces Home Alone (Complete)

Jay

Has anyone determined if that bit missing off Home Alone 2 (Kevin's Booby Traps) was tracked from the original score?

I'll actually be receiving the DVD from Deep Discount first of next week. I didn't realize there was anything missing from Home Alone 2's score. If there is it most likely was tracked.

Mattessino is indeed the best in the biz at writing liner notes, and I've told him as such several times. I especially enjoyed his Home Alone liners.

Yea, Home Alone 2 has an insert in the film that wasn't included on the Varese Deluxe Edition

Finally it's arrived, and I'll be unwrapping it in 2 days.

Even our beloved labels don't bother 'fixing' cues where it's only an insert. Especially when the composer is involved (I mean the LotR CRs are full of them). We can't have everything.

FINALLY!!!!

Both Home Alone and Family Plot arrived today.

:jump:

Btw (and sorry if this has been addressed here before), the one track on HA should read HEAD COUNT instead of HARD COUNT, right?

I think I read somewhere that HARD COUNT was named correctly, and there was some reason related to the movie as to why it was called that.

Aparrently, that's what was on the actual cue sheets, and all documentation pointed to HARD COUNT rather than HEAD COUNT.

Hard Count is right. The notes say something about how Buzz make's Heather's headcount a hard count. You know, how he dickishly starts calling out numbers.

Still confused about Friendly Persuasion, Trapped and Broken Landing Gear from Amazing Stories, however.

I often rename stuff like this anyway. The composer's original titles can be nothing more than a guide in some cases. I don't like multiple-part names, so if something can describe an overall scene, I use it instead.

MV already answered the Head Count / Hard Count question on the FSM boards somewhere. The actual cue sheets read "Hard Count", and even though everyone working on it pretty much agreed that was probably a typo and it should have read "Head Count", they ultimately agreed to go with what the cue sheets said.

Just finished this for like, the third time in a row. It's a perfect listening experience, start to finish. The kind of disc you can pop right back in and listen to again.

Has anyone tried editing in the Clothesline Trapeze insert?

Those Christmas Carols are pitch perfect! So well done, and wonderfully Christmassy.

Hard Count is right. The notes say something about how Buzz make's Heather's headcount a hard count. You know, how he dickishly starts calling out numbers.

That's right. The exact quote from Matessino liners is: "Buzz causes cousin Heather's headcount to be a Hard Count (1:01-1:20), adding to the confusion."

Otherwise, this release is truly perfect, absolutely one of JW dreams come true. I've listened to it countless times already since it arrived, and I'm not stopping. :)

OK, I listened to this album at least twice now, and a few thoughts.

1. Home Alone was already one of my favorite JW scores, and now I admire this even more! This is really outstanding JW work from beginning to end. Didn't know JW was so impressed with the movie upon first seeing it.

2. I have come to admire Chris Columbus even more. The adult actors are all good but not spectacular IMO (with the possible exception of Joe Pesci), so it takes a director of his talent to make this movie the success and enduring classic (on a smaller scale maybe, but still a clasic) it became. The timing, the comedy, the direction are all perfect. If the movie had been mediocre, I am sure JW would never have signed on.

3. Sound quality is definitely better than the OS album, but IMO not better than the Varese Sarabande Home Alone 2.

4. I laughed when I read that the producers all thought "JW will never do a movie like this," and then afterwards JW was so impressed with the movie he demanded a second spotting session.

5. Because of this release, I have somehow come to appreciate the HA2 score even more, as well.

6. I wish LaLaLand will release the Complete Harry Potter 1-3 next year! :)

Oh yeah! :lol: Buzz really was a dickhead, huh?

If you mean before the original piece, then no. The film version insert is meant to replace the original portion of that cue. I for one replaced the original version with the film version insert since I like it a lot more.

I wish LaLaLand will release the Complete Harry Potter 1-3 next year! :)

Don't count on it.

If you mean before the original piece, then no. The film version insert is meant to replace the original portion of that cue. I for one replaced the original version with the film version insert since I like it a lot more.

I wish LaLaLand will release the Complete Harry Potter 1-3 next year! :)

Don't count on it.

Isn't that what you said about the Indy boxset?

There's more chance of them leaking than being officially released, IMO.

Williams would be reluctant to release the whole thing, and WB would likely want to make it appeal to the mass market (even if limited). It's a perfect combination for 'bonus' tracks, dialogue crap, and basically anything other than a C&C presentation.

Actually Warner Bros. has a little more common sense when it comes to their music.

But yes, I would expect Potter to be a mainstream release, like LOTR.

Well, IMO it's only a matter of time.

And I'd be happy with an Expanded Release too (I'm not one of those people who have to have every single tiny note JW wrote). ;)

Josh, there's a difference between wanting every note, and wanting the full score with all significant alternates.

My point is simply that expanded releases handled by WB are going to be aimed at the public, and therefore presenting every cue, plus significant alternates isn't going to be as important as what's going to entice laypeople to buy it.

Having said that, there are only a handful of cues I want from scores 2 and 3, but obviously the chance of those cues being the cues Williams himself picks are practically zero.

Josh, there's a difference between wanting every note, and wanting the full score with all significant alternates.

My point is simply that expanded releases handled by WB are going to be aimed at the public, and therefore presenting every cue, plus significant alternates isn't going to be as important as what's going to entice laypeople to buy it.

Having said that, there are only a handful of cues I want from scores 2 and 3, but obviously the chance of those cues being the cues Williams himself picks are practically zero.

Well, of course I'd rather have a Complete Edition, but if that's not feasible, I will also be content with a commercial Expanded Edition (in the same style as the Indy Box set). What can I say? It's better than nothing...

wanting every note

"Here at last is every note of the original music that John Williams composed for Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace.

With over 65 tracks and 120 minutes of music, the ultimate edition contains music never before released on CD, as well as a deluxe collector's booklet that includes 63 breathtaking photographs from every key scene of the movie, plus picture discs.

So sit back, get comfortable, and prepare to surrender to the ultimate Star Wars: Episode I soundtrack experience."

Well, of course I'd rather have a Complete Edition, but if that's not feasible, I will also be content with a commercial Expanded Edition (in the same style as the Indy Box set). What can I say? It's better than nothing...

Better in the sense that an expanded score is more fun to listen to than no score...but worse in the sense that an expanded score means it'll be that much longer before a truly complete score is a possibility.

Better in the sense that an expanded score is more fun to listen to than no score...but worse in the sense that an expanded score means it'll be that much longer before a truly complete score is a possibility.

No.

An expanded score is more fun to listen to than the OS album.

Well, I'd much rather have an Expanded Harry Potter this year than the Complete Harry Potter in 10 years. ;)

wanting every note

"Here at last is every note of the original music that John Williams composed for Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace.

With over 65 tracks and 120 minutes of music, the ultimate edition contains music never before released on CD, as well as a deluxe collector's booklet that includes 63 breathtaking photographs from every key scene of the movie, plus picture discs.

So sit back, get comfortable, and prepare to surrender to the ultimate Star Wars: Episode I soundtrack experience."

:lol: This is funny!

wanting every note

Still gets me, after all these years.

ROTFLMAO

Karol

Well, this is funny because it's such a blatant lie, but the set itself was not all bad.

There were some great cues in it, and the sound quality was better. Again, this is a case of I'd rather have this as well than just the OS album... ;)

I 'sampled' the UE. Then deleted it when I never listened to it.

Despite its representation of the score (apparently... I couldn't care less about the film), the OST is a great listening experience IMO.