Star Wars Saga Blu-Ray Movies Announced

Trent B

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the conversation we just had 10 seconds ago. No joke:

"Daddy, I can't sleep because I keep thinking about those bugs that tried to kill Padme. I think they're in my room."

"Naw, honey. Those were fake. Someone just painted them on the movie with a computer. They're CGI."

"Seriously?"

"Yep."

"O.M.G.!"

"Go to bed now"

"That movie was like, 'blah blah blah, blah-blah, blah blah blah'"

"Yes, it was. Go to bed."

Here is the conversation we just had 10 seconds ago. No joke:

"Daddy, I can't sleep because I keep thinking about those bugs that tried to kill Padme. I think they're in my room."

"Naw, honey. Those were fake. Someone just painted them on the movie with a computer. They're CGI."

"Seriously?"

"Yep."

"O.M.G.!"

"Go to bed now"

"That movie was like, 'blah blah blah, blah-blah, blah blah blah'"

"Yes, it was. Go to bed."

Spectacular. :)

Ya guys I do believe ILM has been working on this set for the last few years. Not the same company that was given the task to restore the 2004 DVD editions which as we know was fucked up. ILM likes to make things right for color timing and such. Plus they're the ones that have been going through all the archives to find new material.

Don't blame Lowry Digital for the rushjob on the 2004 DVDs. They didn't get the proper time to finish color correcting because Lucasfilm wanted the set out there in time to promote Episode III.

I've been reading this whole thread with detached amusement. I'll make up my mind on whether or not I'll pick this up when it actually comes out. I want to see what exactly this raiding of the SW archives will produce, and a proper color correction of the OT will definitely help too.

Quite honestly, I'm all Star Warsed out. I can still occasionally watch ESB and enjoy the hell out of it, but everything else just bores me these days. All the hubbub surrounding the latest home video release as well. Eh, it'll be fun to lurk around here.

Quite honestly, I'm all Star Warsed out. I can still occasionally watch ESB and enjoy the hell out of it, but everything else just bores me these days. All the hubbub surrounding the latest home video release as well. Eh, it'll be fun to lurk around here.

I can still watch the first hour of Star Wars. I'm already bored with the action scenes in the snow (with them big walkers) so early in ESB.

I've been reading this whole thread with detached amusement. I'll make up my mind on whether or not I'll pick this up when it actually comes out. I want to see what exactly this raiding of the SW archives will produce, and a proper color correction of the OT will definitely help too.

Not to mention it has a guaranteed spot on Amazon's Gold Box Deal of the Day.

Maybe we're going to get a version where every old special effects is replaced by CGI? So they can get rid of all these fake looking models and stop-motion animtation in favour of glourious computer graphics?

That would give a heart attack to many. Of this I am sure. ;)

And it's not so unlikely, you know... :(

Karol

I would love they do that... the day they release the unaltered OT in its propper form...

"Seriously?"

"Yep."

"O.M.G.!"

so the bugs are photorealistic :) good ol' ILM :P

I'm with you Marc, ever since the high of the last proper movie coming out died down I've been tired of everything Star Wars and find it hard to get interested. I still love the scores to death, all 6 of them, but it's been a long time since I've watched any of the movies. There are many other franchises that I'm more interested in right now.

I've seen the OT movies exactly once in undubbed widescreen, and that was when the SEs were released theatrically in '97. Since then, I've seen each of the three once (dubbed) on TV. So I am looking forward to seeing them again, and I will pick up the Blu-ray box, even though I'll probably wait for the price to go down a bit. I'd pick up the original versions in a heartbeat.

Like Marc (Breathmask) I too am a bit Star Warsed out right now. I'll watch bits of each of the movies here and there but really haven't watched a full film in quite a long time. I think this year I will just not watch any until my copy of the Blu-Ray set is delivered.

The last time I watched any of the movies in full was about two years ago, TBH. The release might make me buy a blu-ray player, it might not. We shall see.

I have this syndrome as well. With Star Wars, Watchmen, Indiana Jones and LOTR. I can't watch these anymore. And in most of cases that means listening to the scores as well.

Karol

Since the true version of Star Wars doesn't exist anymore, it's been probably a decade since I last watched any of the original trilogy. Actually we may have watched Jedi shortly after I got married because the Mrs. never saw it.

Star Wars and Empire will always be important to me, the music from the original trilogy will always be important to me. The rest...meh....

I have this syndrome as well. With Star Wars, Watchmen, Indiana Jones and LOTR. I can't watch these anymore. And in most of cases that means listening to the scores as well.

Karol

I can always watch Raiders, TOD and LC because Lucas hasn't F*cked them up yet.

LOTR films are still good.

Yeah, I think that shot was only changed for TV. And a good thing, too...as usual, the original shot is better.

Can anyone post that clip, as I'd very much like to see it? Also, I'm sure that the shot of the Falcon flying toward the Executor in the Blu-ray trailer, is either new, or enhanced. Can anyone confirm?

Since the true version of Star Wars doesn't exist anymore

It's correct on my bonus limited edition DVD...

Film dust included! (-_-)

your referring to star wars right?

if so i believe that that isnt the original either

So what was wrong with the original shot? Is it because it was...umm... original?

Well, clearly, if you were shooting a scene with a truck going over an insanely tall cliff, you would set up a rig so that the camera dropped with the truck at a nice, steady, almost digital-looking rate. You would never just set up the camera on another cliff nearby and pan down to follow the truck. That'd be way too easy. Right?

Since the true version of Star Wars doesn't exist anymore

It's correct on my bonus limited edition DVD...

Film dust included! (-_-)

your referring to star wars right?

if so i believe that that isnt the original either

Luke is right the original theatrical version just said Star Wars. There was no Episode IV: A New Hope. That got added before the films were released on VHS.

It's correct on my DVD.

Yeah, that shot wasn't on the DVD. It was first seen in a tv airing a few years back.

They did paint out the reflection of the cobra in the shot when Indy first comes face to face with it for the DVD though. And then spent five minutes talking about the glass wall and the reflection being visible in the supplemental material...

it seems Lowry may be working on the OUT (most likely rumors though)

from Jacobss on OT.com:

"Interestingly, it seems that Lowry Digital, the firm who restored the films for the previous DVD release are once again restoring the trilogy with a little more time up their sleeve than the 3 months they had to previously work within. Interestingly, Chairman John Lowry allegedly made comments that implied that they were also restoring the original cuts of the film too, but no announcements in regards to content have been confirmed. I guess this time next year we will know for sure... http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3768/the_top_20_films_unreleased_on_blu_ray_part_iv/index2.html

I pray that it would turn out to be the true..."

It would be nice...

and then i will feel like ben kenobi when alderaan explodes...those countless bashing voices that will stop suddenly...

but then again, it will have some other flaw, to keep the show goin'...

well i heard that the crawl was edited in the GOUT to be like the original theatrical version

Yeah, it was a digital reconstruction because the source they used for those versions were edited home video versions from the early 90s. They're not the old ones because the sound mix is edited. They're the movies taken and scaled down for outdated 4:3 televisions and put through an ugly primitive DNR. So far removed from the original films. And they're not preferable to the SEs because of the terrible non-anamorphic image. I'd just rather watch the SE than a mess of digital artifacting and the edges of the screen cut off after zooming.

They did paint out the reflection of the cobra in the shot when Indy first comes face to face with it for the DVD though. And then spent five minutes talking about the glass wall and the reflection being visible in the supplemental material...

And they also forgot the reflection when Marion falls in. There was some equipment painted out of the boulder scene too. I'm also not sure about the color timing. Maybe the old videos were too bright, but all three movies looked a bit dark on DVD, similar to the SW OT. The opening jungle scene in Raiders looks extremely different on DVD. Not exactly a bad thing. I think they look great.

Yeah, it was a digital reconstruction because the source they used for those versions were edited home video versions from the early 90s. They're not the old ones because the sound mix is edited. They're the movies taken and scaled down for outdated 4:3 televisions and put through an ugly primitive DNR. So far removed from the original films. And they're not preferable to the SEs because of the terrible non-anamorphic image. I'd just rather watch the SE than a mess of digital artifacting and the edges of the screen cut off after zooming.

I'm not sure what you're going on about. The transfers of the original films that appear on the LE bonus discs are not zoomed in at all. Nor are they edited (except for the removal of "Episode IV - A New Hope" from the Star Wars opening crawl: that was still there on the original LaserDisc release). They remixed the entire trilogy into a THX certified mix back in the early nineties when these transfers first came out.

He means that with a non-anamorphic image you need to zoom in on a 16:9 TV.

That's something I've never understood though: granted we still have an old 16:9 TV, but I've seen it in other places too: why is there a tiny bit of image missing left and right (in cases of both zooming in of non-anamorphic material and expanding an anamorphic image)?

I still find it mindboggling how most of you continue to hate on G Lucas. Virgins!

You're the virgin expert.

He means that with a non-anamorphic image you need to zoom in on a 16:9 TV.

That's something I've never understood though: granted we still have an old 16:9 TV, but I've seen it in other places too: why is there a tiny bit of image missing left and right (in cases of both zooming in of non-anamorphic material and expanding an anamorphic image)?

I don't use the zoom function for non-anamorphic DVDs.