Is he completely gone mad?

TownerFan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.

Three things:

A: Seth Rogen is a notorious consumer of illegal substances.

B: I doubt Lucas would put a whole lot of work in 3-D converting the SW flicks if he believed this, considering TPM is due to be released in 2012.

C: LOL@the press

It's likely the product of some prankster journalist, who probably spiced up some quote from Rogen and built a story around it.

However true or not, this is the kind of thing that shows how much Lucas lost respect and admiration as an influential public figure of the movie industry. Yes, even Stanley Kubrick was a favourite target of gossip press magazines/tabloids, but he always had the huge respect from the film community. Lucas instead morphed into a pathetic businessman good only for some giggles like this one.

I never considered myself a Lucas-hater/basher (even though I was enormously disappointed by the prequels), but the man who once was a brilliant filmmaker is now just a ridiculous millionaire. IMHO, of course.

Yeah, if you around look you will see Lucasfilm put out a bunch of press releases denying the truth of the article.

Apparently it was just a joke with Seth.

Anyhoo, I agree with Maurizio.

Whilst there are obviously valid criticisms against him, most of it's just nerdrage. And it's a big thing now because, due to the internet, the nerds are running the reporting media. People can photoshop a cat into a funny situation, or Gawker can post a picture of Britney Spears' pussy and easily get a bigger circulation figure than an issue of the NYT.

And because of this, his SW stories (and things like this) get pushed into the forefront, whilst his commitment to things like education and the art of film in general generally go unmentioned. It's like Leonardo DiCaprio. He's donated money to saving tigers (when most movie stars and pop stars are content just to patronise us while asking for money) and actually met Putin over it, but how much proper mainstream coverage did this get? Fuck all.

Well, Lucasfilm's response to this really says it all:

"[Lucas] was not serious when he talked about the end of the world in 2012 but he is an adamant believer that the world is flat, that Stonehenge was built by aliens, and that the sun revolves around the Earth. These are among the many subjects he commonly discusses at length with Elvis, who he’s going to digitally insert into Indy 5 along with a roster of famous dead actors."

It was shit journalism to start with. Several sites have taken down this story already.

Lucas' spokeswoman debunked the rumor:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/01/george-lucas-2012/

I was put off a bit because I read the news on the Telegraph at first (not exactly gossip fare), but I should have been smarter to double check. Today's journalism is a very different beast, many writers are now too dependant on Twitter, Facebook, GoogleNews and all the other stuff that make rumors spin too fast and furious.

I used to visit a movie message board, and one of the posters who also ran a horror news site started a rumour about Ryan Philippe (rising star at the time) playing Leatherface in the Texas Chainsaw remake. This was latched onto by IMDB, which isn't surprising given their sources, but even funnier, a month later turned up in an issue of Empire.

It's likely the product of some prankster journalist, who probably spiced up some quote from Rogen and built a story around it.

That's what I believe. It's almost word-for-word what Seth said on The Ellen Degeneres Show a few days ago.

seth rogan is someone with limited talent yet is treated as if he has it in abundance

Lucas is a good man.

'Nuff said.

'Nuff said? He's not a bad gangster? A rapist of childhood memories? A falisfier of history? A tyrant on the work floor? A cruel fan abuser? A lazy artist?

Godwin's Law is overrated.

1) The Nazi comment is often an effective and quite fitting way to get a point across

2) People cite Godwin's Law even for topics which already border on the subject anyway

Lucas is correct.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1349383/Betelgeuse-second-sun-Earth-supernova-turns-night-day.html

‘When a star goes bang, the first we will observe of it is a rain of tiny particles called nuetrinos,’ said Dr Carter.

‘They will flood through the Earth and bizarrely enough, even though the supernova we see visually will light up the night sky, 99% of the energy in the supernova is released in these particles that will come through our bodies and through the Earth with absolutely no harm whatsoever.’

That is exactly what happened in the movie 2012! Don't believe the second paragraph.