What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Will the game be canon now?

Nope!

https://www.starwars.com/news/knights-of-the-old-republic-remake

KOTOR, which is part of Legends storytelling, dials the Star Wars clock back to over 4,000 years before the Skywalker saga. 

Yeah, that quote was confusing. Did they mean the original KOTOR is part of "legends" when introducing people to what it is, or that the new game will be legends? Seems like its more the latter. 

PLUS, if they're fully redoing this game, which seems likely since they hired a (Star Wars hating) writer to write the game, then its not just updating the graphics and combat engine, it'll more likely be a full reimagining. 

I remember trying to put together a top ten favorite games chart and considering Steamworld Dig 2 but wasn't sure as it'd been so long since I last played it.

Revisiting, yeah, this is a wonderful game one would hypothetically take to an island. So much to just jump into and explore aimlessly, does so much mechanically and atmospherically within a simple structure.

A new Borderland game based on the best ever DLC  Tiny Tina's assault on Dragon Keep

On 9/10/2021 at 10:43 AM, SilverTrumpet said:

Yeah, that quote was confusing. Did they mean the original KOTOR is part of "legends" when introducing people to what it is, or that the new game will be legends? Seems like its more the latter. 

I've read the head writer for the remake  is a fan hating "take down the Patriarchy" feminist activist so it's not looking good.

She is. People keep buying stuff and funding people that hate them. 

That's why even with KOTOR being one of my favorite games ever, I'm not supporting this "for modern audiences" reimagining. 

Interested in seeing how they handle the music considering Soule is persona non grata now.

LEGO HP Years 1-4 was on the top of my list of games to try again when I get a new laptop because of decade-old frustrations, it didn't run on my previous one because its screen didn't support 60fps, and it crashed constantly on the one before that. Not the best LEGO game but I'm still enjoying it a lot, especially all the nods outside the movie world, to the books and even the previous game adaptations. Also holy hell do I need a complete release of 4's score as soon as possible.

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

LotR too to me.

As good as LOTR Lego is, it is (the first?) a post grunt Lego Game

Though it does have a more Book accurate Shelob's Lair!

2 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

it is (the first?)

Yep, I think so. And I love it, grunts would've been so forced by this point, even HP's a bit too complex already to get some of the things across wordlessly.

On 9/18/2021 at 4:31 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

That's not true actually. The woman being name-dropped constantly is only an additional dialogue writer. There are several credited writers already, and the lead writer is someone else entirely. No idea why these clickbait extremists keep singling her out and making it out to seem that she's in charge of the whole project or something dumb like that, when in reality her job is extremely miniscule. Just one of those Mike Zeroh clickbait "theories" that will disappear in time as usual, created because small minded man children like to be angry at everything nowadays... and of course as we all know, outrage = views = YouTube revenue ($$$).

Because people need to constantly be angry at Star Wars to prove that they can still feel something

After months of not playing video games, I finally started a new one!

The Last of Us Part 2 Guide and Walkthrough - IGN

The Last Of Us: Part II

Upon opening the shrinkwrap I saw there was two discs inside: How rare is this for PS4 games?  Everyone I've played so far has been 1 disc.

One was marked Install and one was marked Play, so I put the Install one in and it had to copy the entire thing down to the PS4.  50 gigs or so I reckon.

Then when I put the Play disc in, it had to download and install version 1.09 (another 8 gigs IIRC)

Then I could finally launch the thing, but had to go through a series of initial set up stuff about my HDR, my surround, controls, graphics, options, etc etc.

By the time I was actually playing the thing, the game I was excited to play at 5:00 on a Friday after a long week of work, it was 5:46 pm.  Holy cow, what a difference from my childhood of putting a NES catridge in and being in control of the main character 10 seconds later....

The good news is: The game is f'ing amazing.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

After months of not playing video games, I finally started a new one!

The Last of Us Part 2 Guide and Walkthrough - IGN

The Last Of Us: Part II

Upon opening the shrinkwrap I saw there was two discs inside: How rare is this for PS4 games?  Everyone I've played so far has been 1 disc.

One was marked Install and one was marked Play, so I put the Install one in and it had to copy the entire thing down to the PS4.  50 gigs or so I reckon.

Then when I put the Play disc in, it had to download and install version 1.09 (another 8 gigs IIRC)

Then I could finally launch the thing, but had to go through a series of initial set up stuff about my HDR, my surround, controls, graphics, options, etc etc.

By the time I was actually playing the thing, the game I was excited to play at 5:00 on a Friday after a long week of work, it was 5:46 pm.  Holy cow, what a difference from my childhood of putting a NES catridge in and being in control of the main character 10 seconds later....

The good news is: The game is f'ing amazing.

TLOU2 and Red Dead 2 are both 2 discs. But you can understand why because holy duck they’re big detailed games. 

Glad you’re enjoying it. It absolutely is f’ing amazing. 

Yea the level is detail is astonishing.  The areas are so much bigger and complex, and there's so much motion capture.  It continues to impress how well the game goes from gameplay into cutscenes seamlessly, while it's also really funny how derpy the character's faces look in game mode compared to cutscene mode

On 20/09/2021 at 12:12 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

Because people need to constantly be angry at Star Wars to prove that they can still feel something

nah , it's all about inserting woke stuff  into games. What real gamers (the so called basement dwelling man children) want is a game that's entertaining with a good story and not a lecture about gender quality and inclusion.

I read Ubisoft kicked out Kotaku from the Far Cry 6 demo or press conference...that might be a good sign  they're starting to listen to people that actually play the games.

PS I hate this board quoting system.

Behoooooold!!....

Could not confidently settle on enough games to fill the chart (in terms of 'hm, I do quite like that one, but I don't know if it's super-duper-special-cherish-forever material'), and couldn't do a clean top ten either. xS

Offer whatever psychological evaluation you wish. I express meekly that I am well aware many of these will require a thorough explanation regarding their presence within my ‘favorite games I’ll hold dear forever’ list. 

And lastly, nah, rest assured, this is not ranked. 

FEC46B96-8165-4FC7-8A27-E16419E4B01A.jpeg

The Last Of Us: Part II - Jackson

Prologue

I loved that the game starts not long after the first game ended, with similar aged Ellie and Joel.  I was actually happy to see Joel tell Tommy the truth about what he did instead of lying to him to, and that Joel says Ellie didn't specifically say whether she believed him or not.  I really liked how the opening credits then rolled as Joel and Tommy head into town on horseback, though the immersive cinematic effect is broken when it has to tell you on screen how to jump and do other commands.  D'oh!  I thought it was really interesting that after the horse ride, Tommy tells Joel he'll take his secret to his grave.  Telling Tommy was a risk for Joel and I can't imagine he actual knew Tommy would end up feeling that way!  The scene where Joel gives Ellie the guitar was nicely done too, though the lyrics he sings sure are on the nose!

Waking Up

4 years later and Ellie is 19!  They did a good job aging the model, though she does look even more like Ellen Page then she already did in the first game :lol:  I really loved getting to explore Jackson and seeing what life is like there.  And you get to pet the dog!  The snowball fight with Dina against the kids was really cute, reminded me of the watergun fight from Left Behind.

The Overlook

I had no idea you played as anyone other than Ellie in this game so that was cool being introduced to this new character, and getting to play as her.  When you realize they are right next to Jackson and looking for "him", it sets up a nice feeling of wanting to see what happens next!  But first you have to fight through a bunch of infected to get closer, and I thought it was interesting you first fight infected as Abby and not Ellie!  Same with learning some of the new commands like going prone and squeezing through tight passages and stuff.

Patrol

Ellie and Dina are fun to spend time with, and I forgot how fun the game is when you have an AI companion also fighting infected with you!  So much of the first game seemed to be solo sections, at least for the combat, but when you have help its pretty fun.  It was also fun remembering about there being clickers and runners and how you deal with each differently.  The horseback ride through the approaching storm was fun, really made you feel lost and I truly had no idea if I'd be able to find Dina again or not.  I love that the find an underground pot farm to wait out the storm in :lol:

The Horde

Man this was intense!  I loved how you go from trying to think you can be stealthy like usual (and my preferred method for any area you have that option), until it VERY quickly becomes a run for your f'ing life sequence, so intense!  Abby sure was lucky to run into Tommy and Joel!

The Chalet

Spoiler

Loved the back and forth storytelling as we see Jessie tell Ellie and Dina that Tommy and Joel didn't report in and them go looking for them, with Tommy and Joel with the WLF guys and being sabotaged by Abby.  It wasn't surprising that the "he" Abby was looking for is Joel, but it was kind of interesting how quickly things go to shit when it's revealed.  I sadly had been spoiled that Joel dies in this game by accident before it came out, but I had no idea how early or late in the game it happened so didn't know if he was going to get out of this situation and die later or if this was it - so I was still completely immersed in the story and wondering what would happen.  They really set Abby up as quite the evil villain here, and I thought it was interesting that they deliberately leave her backstory and her motivations completely unrevealed here.  It's also kind of interesting that her group lets Ellie and Tommy live.  I know there'd be no game if they didn't, but still.. seems like a poor decision even given their reasoning.

Packing Up

Spoiler

Nice character interactions here between Ellie and Tommy, Ellie and Dina, and Ellie/Dina and Maria.  I loved going to Joel's house and getting to see the framed picture of him and Sara, his guitar collection, and that he still had the watch Sara gave him on his birthday / Outbreak Day.  Little things like that and the moment Ellie smells Joel's jacket are among the many things that make these games so good.

And with that, 3 1/2 hours in (at least for me), the real game begins!

I thought the first one was overrated but I'll play that one eventually.  I read it was less linear.

Getting a new PS4 controller is getting difficult as they are very hard to find. Had to buy a refurbished one from Gamestop but I took a 1 year warranty Most of us can't even find a PS5 so why are they already cutting the supply of PS4 controllers..

right now I started this

10 hours ago, King Mark said:

I thought the first one was overrated but I'll play that one eventually.  I read it was less linear.

Getting a new PS4 controller is getting difficult as they are very hard to find. Had to buy a refurbished one from Gamestop but I took a 1 year warranty Most of us can't even find a PS5 so why are they already cutting the supply of PS4 controllers..

right now I started this

There’s this pandemic thing that’s been affecting the whole world for the past 18 months and has a massive impact on all sorts of supply lines. You might have read something about it in the news! 

15 hours ago, Jay said:

The Last Of Us: Part II - Jackson

Prologue

I loved that the game starts not long after the first game ended, with similar aged Ellie and Joel.  I was actually happy to see Joel tell Tommy the truth about what he did instead of lying to him to, and that Joel says Ellie didn't specifically say whether she believed him or not.  I really liked how the opening credits then rolled as Joel and Tommy head into town on horseback, though the immersive cinematic effect is broken when it has to tell you on screen how to jump and do other commands.  D'oh!  I thought it was really interesting that after the horse ride, Tommy tells Joel he'll take his secret to his grave.  Telling Tommy was a risk for Joel and I can't imagine he actual knew Tommy would end up feeling that way!  The scene where Joel gives Ellie the guitar was nicely done too, though the lyrics he sings sure are on the nose!

Waking Up

4 years later and Ellie is 19!  They did a good job aging the model, though she does look even more like Ellen Page then she already did in the first game :lol:  I really loved getting to explore Jackson and seeing what life is like there.  And you get to pet the dog!  The snowball fight with Dina against the kids was really cute, reminded me of the watergun fight from Left Behind.

The Overlook

I had no idea you played as anyone other than Ellie in this game so that was cool being introduced to this new character, and getting to play as her.  When you realize they are right next to Jackson and looking for "him", it sets up a nice feeling of wanting to see what happens next!  But first you have to fight through a bunch of infected to get closer, and I thought it was interesting you first fight infected as Abby and not Ellie!  Same with learning some of the new commands like going prone and squeezing through tight passages and stuff.

Patrol

Ellie and Dina are fun to spend time with, and I forgot how fun the game is when you have an AI companion also fighting infected with you!  So much of the first game seemed to be solo sections, at least for the combat, but when you have help its pretty fun.  It was also fun remembering about there being clickers and runners and how you deal with each differently.  The horseback ride through the approaching storm was fun, really made you feel lost and I truly had no idea if I'd be able to find Dina again or not.  I love that the find an underground pot farm to wait out the storm in :lol:

The Horde

Man this was intense!  I loved how you go from trying to think you can be stealthy like usual (and my preferred method for any area you have that option), until it VERY quickly becomes a run for your f'ing life sequence, so intense!  Abby sure was lucky to run into Tommy and Joel!

The Chalet

Reveal hidden contents

Packing Up

Reveal hidden contents

And with that, 3 1/2 hours in (at least for me), the real game begins!

You’re making me want to replay it soon! Glad you’re enjoying it so far. Looking forward to your reactions as the game unfolds. You seem to be ok with the thing in your first spoiler which was a big issue for a lot of people. 

I don’t see the similarities to Elliot Page in the older model though. I thought they’d moved away from the similarities a lot. 

Petting the dog is cool. The composer can also be seen playing the banjo! 

Yea, I saw him!  I also like the guy playing Jesse; him, Ashley Johnson and Shannon Woodward all do a good job of making all the backstory you don't see but only hear about instantly acceptable as part of the backstory of the character relationships

On 24/9/21 at 7:50 AM, His Royal Noelness said:

You seem to be ok with the thing in your first spoiler which was a big issue for a lot of people.

I still don’t understand why so many vehemently hate the game with a passion. Guess a lot of them are the KMs of the world that don’t want “woke stuff” in their entertainment. 

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I still don’t understand why so many vehemently hate the game with a passion. Guess a lot of them are the KMs of the world that don’t want “woke stuff” in their entertainment. 

And the first game already has "woke stuff"!

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Sure those people exist but I've read complaints about length, pacing and ludonarrative dissonance.

12 minutes ago, Holko said:

Sure those people exist but I've read complaints about length, pacing and ludonarrative dissonance.

Which is to be expected for a linear anti-violence themed video game (that isn't based around non-violent gameplay like solving puzzles or whatever)

9 hours ago, Holko said:

The first two are legitimate issues that I personally have with the game. But whenever I read people complaining about it online, it’s never those issues. It’s always about the characters and writing. 

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

The first two are legitimate issues that I personally have with the game. But whenever I read people complaining about it online, it’s never those issues. It’s always about the characters and writing. 

It's what I call the "Last Jedi effect" where any legitimate criticisms are overshadowed by broad anti-SJW talking points

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Yeah, those criticisms exist but they seem to be in the minority. Most of the criticism I’ve seen has been childish nonsense from people who can’t except that there are people who don’t love their lives like they do. 

I do understand the pacing issues. That’s fair enough. 

I didn’t have a problem with the length. I did play the whole thing over a single weekend. It isn’t that long. It is intense as fuck though. 

But story, character, acting, visuals, music, immersion? nah. I just don’t don’t see anything wrong there. 

5 hours ago, His Royal Noelness said:

Most of the criticism I’ve seen has been childish nonsense from people who can’t except that there are people who don’t love their lives like they do. 

I still haven't gotten through the games, because I just find it so freaking boring, but is this a criticism of people who aren't happy that so much in media is the most miserable, depressing, over the top depressing for the sake of being miserable and depressing? 

I think that's a legitimate criticism to have. Maybe not with TLOU, but someone brought up The Last Jedi "Effect" where something people liked had to turn into a story about how optimistic heroes turned into miserable losers who gave up.

So the idea that to be good, profound media has to follow that same beat is legitimate.

I always use the example of Uncharted 4, which I did play because I used to like Uncharted. The first three games were fairly upbeat games. Snarky, exciting, fast paced. Then 4 was this deep, quiet, sad introspective story. Even the main menu was this subdued, depressing sounding version of the main theme. I just don't like that stuff, and I know there are lots of other people out there who are like me. 

I think it's a struggle between people who want their media to be an escape from the misery of reality and people who want media to reenforce their miserable view of everything in the world. 

2 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I think that's a legitimate criticism to have. Maybe not with TLOU, but someone brought up The Last Jedi "Effect" where something people liked had to turn into a story about how optimistic heroes turned into miserable losers who gave up.

Well none of that describes TLOU anyway. 

The second game is certainly not a direct contrast to the first game. It’s darker and more violent but that almost makes it sound like the first game isn’t dark and violent. Everything that happens is a natural answer or reaction to the events of game one. 

If anyone thought the end of the first game was hopefully or optimistic then they totally missed the point. 

I don’t want to get into any spoiler (even with tags because people are still discovering this game) but while the first game has moments of hope for sure but the second game felt like a natural conclusion to me. 

Parts of it are miserable but I think it’s clearly portrayed that you make your own happiness and your own misery.

It’s also light years ahead of TLJ in just about every department. 

I'm not saying it is, I was responding to the idea of loving life versus not loving life, etc etc.

I think if you're going to make any comparison between TLJ and TLOU2 it's the subverting expectations for the sake of subverting expectations. 

17 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I think if you're going to make any comparison between TLJ and TLOU2 it's the subverting expectations for the sake of subverting expectations. 

Even in TLJ which I’m not a massive fan of (although don’t hate) I think this is a lazy argument. 

I don’t think anything happens in TLOU2 that isn’t perfectly set up in TLOU. Joel’s actions and lie at the end of the game have consequences. Those consequences and their repercussions are borne out in the sequel.

45 minutes ago, His Royal Noelness said:

Even in TLJ which I’m not a massive fan of (although don’t hate) I think this is a lazy argument. 

I don’t think anything happens in TLOU2 that isn’t perfectly set up in TLOU. Joel’s actions and lie at the end of the game have consequences. Those consequences and their repercussions are borne out in the sequel.

I feel like people have this false memory of TLOU 1 being this happy-go-lucky, Pixar-like road movie but it was pretty depressing from start to finish.

If you go back 7 years or so in this thread you can see me complaining that it didn't have a happy ending.

19 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I feel like people have this false memory of TLOU 1 being this happy-go-lucky, Pixar-like road movie but it was pretty depressing from start to finish.

If you go back 7 years or so in this thread you can see me complaining that it didn't have a happy ending.

I know right? Like, The Road is a major influence on it not Toy Story. I Am Legend is another one. I don’t know what the film is like but the ending of that’s isn’t exactly happy go lucky ending either. 

Spoiler

Jesus the whole situation with David and Ellie being traumatised after it! Nearly every person they interact with gets killed! 

TLOU2 definitely ramps up the bleak but naturally so. 

You also see examples of how normal life could be in that setting too. 

Well as long as you’re not friends with Joel and Ellie.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Then The Last Of Us Part II is simply not a game for those people. That’s not valid criticism. The game isn’t supposed to even be fun, from my interpretation. It’s a deep hellish slog through betrayal, anger, and revenge. 

And it’s so f’ing good 🤤 

On 25/09/2021 at 5:15 PM, Koray Savas said:

I personally don't consider The Last of Us 1 or 2 to have "woke stuff", at least not in a way that bothers me.   The characters are meant to be that way and it's the story they wanted to tell.  So I'd play TLOU2 for sure and definitely don't have  a problem with this game :).

What I consider "woke" is race/gender swapping already established franchise characters, game journalists (Kotaku) being outraged that a game like Kingdom Come Deliverance (a historically accurate medieval game set in Europe) didn't have sexual and racial diversity, the new trend of making ugly, desexualised  "body positive" female heroines that won't attract the "male gaze", and of course the #me too "take down the patriarchy strong female character". And basically anything the game developers change or include just to avoid being "cancelled" by Twitter Social Justice Warriors that have absolutely no interest in gaming and just want to ruin other people's hobbies.

I hope you can see the difference

And finally got to play and finish Rayman Origins as well. Loved it! Great visuals and music as is tradition, good feeling of flow that makes you push on even when you want to scream in frustration. I was somewhat disappointed when the 4 new worlds were revealed to be just extensions of the old ones, but they deepen and combine the previously set up mechanics very well. On to Legends!