Thor (Patrick Doyle)

Brónach

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The clip sounds like a possibly good love theme turned into a mess. There are very few things in there and I wonder what the hell is with that percussion. It would sound better if it was a fanfare for several horns. If you are going with less, at least make it so less is more.

And watch the movie at the same time. I tell you, musically interesting film scores take the audience out of the movie. It's as if the characters in the film should just stand around and listen to the music --

startrek_cap1.jpg

-- instead of actually doing something like blowing up evil alien robots or banging the prom queen.

Counterpoint confuses the listener. How can one concentrate on two (or more :shakehead: ) different melodies at one time?

I think this is just a gimmick to take away from the fact the so-called composer doesn't have a clue or a concept what to do with music. Sad, really.

I mean just listen to this pathetic hack.

Karol - who is wasting his life to listen to this shit at this very moment

At least Williams was decent enough to retire. He realized the foolishness of his ways.

Fortunately for us, Tintin will be decently power anthemed. Williams should remain where he belongs, which is the concert hall or the woods.

Speaking of zeitgeist. Does NBC News still use that Williams-written theme? It's so busy and chaotic.

I think I can even hear counterpoint in it, which is just vulgar!

Perhaps we need to make a few phone calls, you know, to make sure it won't inflict any more harm.

A lot of folks complain about now 3D movies hurts their eyes, but what about all this layered, dimensional music filled with themes, motives and cleverish orchestration. It's just showin' off, and that's a fact!

Didn't Gustova Santaolla 2 Oscars prove anything to these people? The guys won more accolades then Herrmann and Goldsmith!

No in those times sound effects were not yet so well developed, so they had to write a lot of complex, loud music often using multiple themes a changing rhythms to fill out the films sound spectrum. But after the invention of the sub-woofer, this is no longer needed.

I believe this forum suffers from the psychological phenomenon we call rosy retrospection.

I agree, and I will say this There is no Golden Age of Anything

It clearly sounds like Doyle, the FSM quote above listing traces of Dead Again and Hamlet is spot on and exactly the same thing came to my mind when I listened to it. The short clip basically sounds like average Doyle, not bad, but not too exciting on its own, with the MV-style drums giving the whole thing a slightly sour taste. We'll see how the whole thing turns out. What does worry me is that apparently, Branagh, who I think always had his very own way of doing things (and that certainly includes his collaboration with Doyle), was under pressure by the studio to do things the mainstream way. It was bad enough that he mostly disappeared from view after Love's Labours Lost (perhaps also a turning point for Doyle, as what I've heard from him since always seemed less inspired than his earlier works). But perhaps that comes with the territory - a Marvel Comics movie definitely isn't what I'd have expected him to do.

The action cues don't sound at all like Doyle, more like a better-orchestrated RC score. Seems like he was far more restrained than he let on.

The quieter, more retrospective stuff is definitely Doyle. But the score overall is just a disappointment at first glance -- I expected better since this is Branagh/Doyle we're talking about. But I think blame should be placed on Marvel's shoulders for micromanaging this score, their fingerprints are all over it.

Patrick Doyle is not usually MVish.

Yeah. I wasn't expecting Thor to be Doyle's next The Last Legion or Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Okay, maybe I was.

So the new issue of FSM has a complete track from Thor on it "Thor Kills the Destroyer"....and it sounds absolutely INCREDIBLE. Powerful, melodic, colorful accompaniment that reminds me of Henry V. This is real Patrick Doyle folks...really good. Color me excited!

I was pretty doom and gloom about it too to start off, but if even a third of the score is as good as this one track then it's something to look forward to.

Granted this track does still have that over powering, MV-esque melody with horn unison and all, but looking past that to the composition itself, the accompaniment figures and all, it's really reminiscent of the other Doyle/Branagh collaborations that we love. Those Amazon samples may not being doing this score justice.

I was looking forward to Thor and Captain America.

Not so much now.

Oh well we have 3 big scores coming from Michael Giacchino, Cars 2, MI: III and Super 8.

In which year do you live? 2006?

It's cheap enough on amazon that I'm willing to take a chance with it. Doyle's proven that he knows what he's doing, so even when he's watered down I think there's some merit to his music.

She's cute, especially with long hair.

Only with long hair :lol:

wig

–noun

1. an artificial covering of hair for all or most of the head, of either synthetic or natural hair, worn to be stylish or more attractive.

;)

I think this is just a gimmick to take away from the fact the so-called composer doesn't have a clue or a concept what to do with music. Sad, really.

I mean just listen to this pathetic hack.

Karol - who is wasting his life to listen to this shit at this very moment

You really think "Burly Brawl" is a pathetic piece? Please, I actually like the cue "Burly Brawl" (along with the entire score Matrix Reloaded). I don't think any other composer could have gotten the right feel for that sequence like Don Davis and Juno Reactor did. Now grant Davis' original concept of that piece (unaltered) is interesting but didn't quite fit the picture.

Edit: That video is showing Davis' original musical content for that cue before it was joined with music from Juno Reactor. They actually sped up bits of the orchestra portions to get more of the feel from the sequence.

She's cute, especially with long hair.

I think she could stand to pack on about 10 lbs.

I agree that she's more attractive with longer hair.

And totally agree that she could put on a few pounds. I love her the way she is, but would really, really love her if she had more curves. :)

Haven't listened to the Thor samples, but in general I've enjoyed some of Patrick Doyle's stuff, he can work a melody really well usually. This being an action movie (one assumes), it could be pretty decent. Have to sample it, at least.