Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

The Omen

Capricorn One

Twilight Zone - The Movie

Poltergeist

or even

First Knight

There are actually too many to mention. But these are essentials for me.

Karol

And the reason why this isn't such a quick question: Because there are many different sides to Goldsmith. From the easily listenable one (Rudy) over the typical rough/rhythmically complex (Poltergeist) or full-blown romantic (STTMP) ones to the hardcore serial one (Planet of the Apes). They're all great though.

I think Star Trek The Motion Picture and Poltergeist would be your best bets, since you already like similar Williams scores.

Air Force One too

Ooh yea, forgot about Total Recall. Never heard Chinatown before, though.

Oh! And Twilight Zone: The Movie

Depending on your tastes I'd take advantage of FSM's sale on some older Goldsmith titles. Plus they have Poltergeist, Twilight Zone The Movie, Islands In The Stream and Under Fire.

Intrada has several that are still available I consider must haves, such as Alien, the Wind And The Lion and Patton. They also still have Players available.

You can't go wrong with Star Trek TMP.

Many people are listing their own personal favorites in this thread, or his most popular scores. Faleel is specifically asking about what scores for him to start getting into Goldsmith. Stuff like Alien and Patton are not good scores to start with

Basically, I would go with ETAndElliot4Ever's advice, and buy a good compilation. Even Silva's are kind of decent (at least the one-disc I have), and it will give you a taste of the entire Goldsmith soundtracks you're going to want to pursue, and which ones to avoid at all costs.

I am not really a re-recording fan, Besides I need a good long film score to listen to.

Patton is a great score to start with. Very thematic and accessible. That's why I also mentioned "depends on your tastes". There are plenty of generous sound clips for Faleel to listen to at Intrada and FSM,

Naturally we're going to suggest our favorites, or some of them. I'm not going to recommend Mr. Baseball.

I would start with something like The Russia House (still a favorite) or The Ghost and the Darkness/The Wind in the Lion (something in that vein)

Ooh yea, forgot about Total Recall. Never heard Chinatown before, though.

Well, to fair it's not really introductory material. But an important Goldsmith score, for a wetted appetite.

Under Fire

The Secret of NIMH!

I see these two scores mentioned often, I *really* need to check them both out!

To be fair, that Frontiers album is a compilation of re-recorded main titles and other tracks to make a "greatest hits" album of Goldsmith. And it's cheap.

The most affordable for anyone to become familiar with a rock or other vocal artist that they like is to start with the greatest hits album, before they invest the money in a complete discography. And someone like Goldsmith has as vast and expensive a discography that you'll likely find anywhere.

This Frontiers album is not a complete singular film score in re-recorded form like El Cid or Conan the Barbarian, which offer the only way to currently enjoy the complete film scores in their entirety.

I got introduced to Goldsmith through Star Trek, and have since expanded my horizons to nearly every palette he painted with. I would start with the score of whatever film you've seen and had catch your fancy.

I would start with the score of whatever film you've seen and had catch your fancy.

That's good advice

:blink:

My first Goldsmith score was First Contact. Then I asked for V, and later TMP. I can't recall what album got me out of Star Trek, but it was probably The 13th Warrior.

Star Trek The Motion Picture TMP keeps coming up here for a very good reason. It has such variety in it and stands along beautifully. For that reason it's an excellent score as an introduction.

I would say scores like Poltergeist and Total Recall are probably a bit too specific to the films, to be good introductions.

I've never been able to get into JG, and I've tried much of what is listed here(his Star Trek's, The Omen, Total Recall, Mulan, etc.) I guess I just have bad taste! :blink:

I've never been able to get into JG, and I've tried much of what is listed here(his Star Trek's, The Omen, Total Recall, Mulan, etc.) I guess I just have bad taste! :blink:

Hmmmm. Can you post what your favorite scores are, from any composer? Maybe we can recommend some Goldsmith based on that

Hmmmm. Can you post what your favorite scores are, from any composer? Maybe we can recommend some Goldsmith based on that

Hmmmmm, Memoirs of a Geisha(I've heard this compared to Tora! Tora! Tora!, but from what I've heard, I don't think I will connect to it any more than his other works!), Alien 3, Prisoner of Azkaban, Avatar, A.I., Lost. It's not something I usually think about that much, so that list is tentative. ;)

I think Star Trek V (expanded!) or Poltergeist or The Twilight Zone Movie or the Wind and the Lion or The Blue Max maybe some of the more accessible ones coming from John Williams to Goldsmith.

Under Fire, The Russia House, Total Recall, Mulan, The Omen etc. maybe too progressive for a newbie! ;)

*The Blue Max does not get enough recognition. It's a 5 star work. And in my book 5 star works are rare, be they Goldsmith/Williams/any composer. It's very much like Star Wars in its tone...except it came 11 years before. When you listen to it....you sort of suspect that this may have been one of Johnny's favorite scores by Jerry. ;)

It's good, though the album is overlong. I'm not sure I would start with that.

But you're talking to Taikomochi, who has tried a bunch of Goldsmith before - he just hasn't found any he likes yet.

It's Faleel that is the total newbie

Many people are listing their own personal favorites in this thread, or his most popular scores. Faleel is specifically asking about what scores for him to start getting into Goldsmith. Stuff like Alien and Patton are not good scores to start with

That was my idea. I put different styles of JG in my list. I would recommend something of the long list of epic, good and easy to listen action/adventure scores from the 90's, 80's, and something more unusual.

Under Fire

The Secret of NIMH!

I see these two scores mentioned often, I *really* need to check them both out!

Absolutely. Though I'm still hoping for a remastered NIMH. The overall sound is fine, but it's extremely hissy.

*The Blue Max does not get enough recognition. It's a 5 star work.

The only thing that could beat Blue Max is a release of the 2001 LSO suite in great sound.

So Link, Extreme Prejudice, and Planet of the Apes are no-go's too.

I'd recommend POTA but it may be too much for a newbie.