Official Danny Elfman Thread

Jay

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Needs the wonderful expansion of Edward Scissorhands by MM & NB

I listened to it, but I prefer the cute litle story told by the OST.

Is there anything unique about the Black Beauty OST album that isn't on the LLL expansion?

The expansions doesn’t preserve the album presentation, for starters- same reason I felt okay ditching Sleepy Hollow, Dick Tracy, Mission: Impossible, etc. OSTs after the expansions came out, but not Batman Returns or Edward Scissorhands or Dolores Claiborne.

As for whether the OST track edits themselves are all preserved on the expansion - no clue.  I’ve never had the OST.   It doesn’t appear so, as a lot of OST tracks seem to be merged together with new music on the expansion.  For $7, I’m happy to find out.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Hey yours looks pretty good. Mine is falling apart. 

Only three of the four sides on the lid are intact.  I just keep the lid turned so ya can’t see it.

His 1 hour performance was divided into 3 main eras, all intercalated: 

1. Oingo Boingo

2. Composer

3. Big Mess album

First, Oingo Boingo songs were good, best for insects and who do you want to be.

Second, as composer, all pieces were arranged to fit. The assemble and choir were not good enough. Spider-Man main title and Batman theme were very disappointing, the nightmare before christmas was ok, breakfast machine (from Pee-wee’s big adventure) and the Simpson main title theme were funny, the choir in Edward Scissorhands and Alice theme were better. 

And third, last album, best were happy and sorry. 

He really enjoyed the Oingo Boingo ones and looked sometimes worried when performing the other 2; he sang, played the guitar and 2 different kind of drums. He said it was his 1st time on stage in 27 years. Steve Bartek conducted the assemble and played the guitar. I liked the visuals.

Overall it was good.

Elfman's got his Coachella set tonight, the the US premiere of his percussion concerto tomorrow (he is attending), his next movie is out in two weeks (and sure to be one of the biggest movies of the year/his entire career) and then his percussion quartet is released two weeks after that. What a manic time.

Yes, he's crazy busy. As a completist, I'm amassing quite a list of titles to acquire (due to financial obstacles, I've had to postpone CD purchases in the last 6-7 years).

The main purpose of Rabbit and Rogue is to give dancers a driving rhythm and some Elfman-esque inspiration and it serves that purpose well.

But musically it is by far not as good as his Violin Concerto.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What do you think of Rabbit and Rogue?

A bit too whimsical and all-over-the-place, but not bad. I haven't yet decided for myself what his best concert work is.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Great. I've got it on CD, but haven't listened to it yet.

Is it correct that there's only three albums of Elfman's concert works? If so, I'm actually an Elfman completist in a sense.

If you count a ballet, you probably want to count the Cirque du Soleil album too, so there is:

Serenada Schizophrana

Rabbit and Rogue

Iris

11:11

And a bunch of Edward Scissorhands ballet demos in the big Burton box, although that never came to fruition.  I think that’s all of his non-film orchestral albums.

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

And a bunch of Edward Scissorhands ballet demos in the big Burton box, although that never came to fruition.  I think that’s all of his non-film orchestral albums.

Then I'm missing Iris.

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

Is that different to the Edward Scissorhands ballet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Scissorhands_(dance)) that was produced? The album for that is quite a nice alternate version of the score although (and I hadn't realised this) Terry Davies is credited as the main composer - I rather assumed it was an adaptation of Elfman's score by Davies, with the latter writing connective music where required. A shame DE didn't do it himself in retrospect.

24 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Is that different to the Edward Scissorhands ballet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Scissorhands_(dance)) that was produced? The album for that is quite a nice alternate version of the score although (and I hadn't realised this) Terry Davies is credited as the main composer - I rather assumed it was an adaptation of Elfman's score by Davies, with the latter writing connective music where required. A shame DE didn't do it himself in retrospect.

Just like the Catch me if you Can musical.

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

the Cirque du Soleil album

Is it better than Dumbo?

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I have that one too.  It’s not bad.  There’s no musical relation between the two except for the source material.  Elfman had to move on early in the process due to scheduling issues with Corpse Bride.

Here is what is written about it in the book from the box:

71695758-8CB6-4A5F-A35B-24150F3CE736.jpeg

and here are Elfman’s thoughts from the booklet to the CD.

BF3B2D01-4904-43BB-9384-6293610C173A.jpeg

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is it better than Dumbo?

It is, by a good margin!  Less circusy, though.  I actually think Dumbo is one of the better latter-day Elfman scores, though.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just like the Catch me if you Can musical.

Eh? That's entirely new material by Marc Shaiman... I don't think there's any material from JW's score in it at all. The tone isn't even that similar (aside from a general jazziness I guess).

5 hours ago, mstrox said:

I have that one too.  It’s not bad.  There’s no musical relation between the two except for the source material.  Elfman had to move on early in the process due to scheduling issues with Corpse Bride.

A shame he didn't get a chance to complete it, ES is probably one of the most perfectly balletic scores ever written. The problem is that Elfman's style is so idiosyncratic that the Davies material sticks out (a bit like the Christopher Young stuff in Spider-Man 3, it's good music, but it's clearly a very different style) and, with all due respect to Davies, I'm sure most people would be going for Bourne and Elfman.

Rather shamefully I don't think I've actually even listened to the ES demos from the Elfman/Burton set - I really need to go through it and see what it has that isn't on subsequent expansions.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is it better than Dumbo?

Definitely! Iris is superb. Much more variety. I don't actually recall Dumbo at all...

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Exactly.

Not quite. CMIYC musical is entirely new music. ES ballet is adapted from the score with additional music by someone else. So not quite the same situation. 

The Elfman ballet demos and the final ballet by Davies both utilize the same source material - Elfman’s original film score - and rearrange/expand upon that.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you saying The Mstrox gave me bad info? That's not possible.

• 2 weeks later...