What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Tom Cruise is actually miscast in that. He was fine in Minority report, but this film needed the Spielbergian everyman.

Was Tom Hanks busy?

Tom Cruise had a financial stake in the project well before Spielberg was involved.

After.Life

Intriguing premise, but infuriating execution, only because the characters are so dumb. As for Christina Ricci, if you love seeing her nice bod, this is for you. Only problem is I remember years ago her tits were much larger. Did she get breast reduction performed? If so, that's a shame because I miss her beautiful boobs.

2 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

After.Life

Intriguing premise, but infuriating execution, only because the characters are so dumb. As for Christina Ricci, if you love seeing her nice bod, this is for you. Only problem is I remember years ago her tits were much larger. Did she get breast reduction performed? If so, that's a shame because I miss her beautiful boobs.

Need attention, Jerry?

Star Trek: Generations

I haven't watched much of the Star Trek movies, but I'm aware they carry a certain dubious reputation. And perhaps as an ignorant moviegoer, I can understand why. 

But as a coda of the show, with better looks and some fancier camerawork, I actually thought this was pretty satisfying. Some scenes like Picard in the Nexus really got to me; I really liked his arc in this movie. I also enjoyed the way the movie delayed gratification, so to speak...for example, there's the scene where McDowell confronts Picard in the Enterprise lounge. His demeanor shifts immediately from hard-edged to visibly shaken, but at that point we don't quite know why. Later when we discover just how on the nose McDowell was with his metaphor, Picard's reaction makes complete sense. A very nice, subtle tension and release, in our minds.

I'll agree with what I imagine is a criticism that the way in which the generations are bridged in the movie is on the limp side...but it was great to see Picard interact with Kirk, their exchanges and dialogue another example of delayed gratification. 

So other than that, the "uncinematic" feeling (this probably would have been a Netflix exclusive were it around in the day),  and Cinema Sins level RLM crap (you really gonna pass off holographic picture frames as a criticism?), why does this movie get trashed so much?

The main problem with Generations is that its unnecessary.

Star Trek 6 did a great job bridging the gap between the two eras and the only reason this story was done is because Paramount was worried audiences wouldn't understand why this Star Trek film didn't feature Kirk, Spock, Bones etc. Despite the fact that TNG was a huge phenomenon.

It's not a bad film by any means though. Like you not, not really cinematic. But I don't really mind that. Star Trek is a TV show, even when its a movie. 

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The main problem with Generations is that its unnecessary.

Star Trek 6 did a great job bridging the gap between the two eras and the only reason this story was done is because Paramount was worried audiences wouldn't understand why this Star Trek film didn't feature Kirk, Spock, Bones etc. Despite the fact that TNG was a huge phenomenon.

It's not a bad film by any means though. Like you not, not really cinematic. But I don't really mind that. Star Trek is a TV show, even when its a movie. 

Oh, interesting. Honestly the lack of Jerry Goldsmith has put me off from seeing that one, but it seemed cool. That's the Cold War one, yeah? When you say it bridges the two,  do you mean in terms of setting the stage of the world, or does it get more literal than that? 

I will say that the music of Generations definitely contributed to the TV show feeling...while it was nice to hear McCarthy get a little more extroverted than what he was ultimately required to do for the shows (I honestly don't know how people can be clambering for a fisher's load of 30 second suspense chords to listen to on an album), it really wasn't more dynamic from what he did on some of the more extravagant episodes.

The Mighty Ducks (1992)

I had never seen this Disney film, or the other 2 films of the trilogy.

Although at first I thought I didn't like it, as it went on, I enjoyed it very much. (and I'm not a sports fan or like sports either)

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Star Trek: Generations

I haven't watched much of the Star Trek movies, but I'm aware they carry a certain dubious reputation. And perhaps as an ignorant moviegoer, I can understand why. 

But as a coda of the show, with better looks and some fancier camerawork, I actually thought this was pretty satisfying. Some scenes like Picard in the Nexus really got to me; I really liked his arc in this movie. I also enjoyed the way the movie delayed gratification, so to speak...for example, there's the scene where McDowell confronts Picard in the Enterprise lounge. His demeanor shifts immediately from hard-edged to visibly shaken, but at that point we don't quite know why. Later when we discover just how on the nose McDowell was with his metaphor, Picard's reaction makes complete sense. A very nice, subtle tension and release, in our minds.

I'll agree with what I imagine is a criticism that the way in which the generations are bridged in the movie is on the limp side...but it was great to see Picard interact with Kirk, their exchanges and dialogue another example of delayed gratification. 

So other than that, the "uncinematic" feeling (this probably would have been a Netflix exclusive were it around in the day),  and Cinema Sins level RLM crap (you really gonna pass off holographic picture frames as a criticism?), why does this movie get trashed so much?

My biggest problem with Generations is why are all the lights off on the Enterprise?

Oh, interesting. Honestly the lack of Jerry Goldsmith has put me off from seeing that one, but it seemed cool. That's the Cold War one, yeah? When you say it bridges the two,  do you mean in terms of setting the stage of the world, or does it get more literal than that? 

Why would Goldsmith not scoring it put you off? Most Star Trek wasn't scored by Goldsmith.

Trek 6 is the final "adventure" of the TOS crew, and it shows the beginning of going from the Cold War inspired galaxy of the original series to the then more current one of TNG/DS9/VOY. 

Check it out, its a far better film than Generations. Not just a better Trek film, a better film.

Good score too.

I will say that the music of Generations definitely contributed to the TV show feeling...while it was nice to hear McCarthy get a little more extroverted than what he was ultimately required to do for the shows (I honestly don't know how people can be clambering for a fisher's load of 30 second suspense chords to listen to on an album), it really wasn't more dynamic from what he did on some of the more extravagant episodes.

Generations is a score ive been very fond off for almost 24 years now. I liked McCarthy's style on TNG and liked how Generations allowed him to spread his wings. There's some great actio  music in there.

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Check it out, its a far better film than Generations. Not just a better Trek film, a better film.

Good score too.

One of the best Trek films, in fact. Second best, perhaps. And a fine score indeed.

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

(I honestly don't know how people can be clambering for a fisher's load of 30 second suspense chords to listen to on an album)

I am one of those people and I must say this comment made me laugh! There is a certain level of self-loathing involved in being a Star Trek music completist...

Generations is a top tier film and score.

4 hours ago, Hawmy said:

My biggest problem with Generations is why are all the lights off on the Enterprise?

To make it look warmer and cozier.  I love the look of the ship in this film, it's so inviting.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why would Goldsmith not scoring it put you off? Most Star Trek wasn't scored by Goldsmith.

After V, he would have deserved VI, as it was a vastly better movie. Alas...

27 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

They couldn't. He asked Horner who told him he outgrew Trek.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. That's just arrogant.

7 hours ago, publicist said:

No. They didn't give Meyer the budget. In his book, he mentions that he could not afford JG.

A $25,000,000 movie, and they couldn't spring for Goldsmith? That dog don't hunt.

The Sting - yes it bowls along twistingly and amusingly, Redford and Newman have charisma and star-wattage to burn, the score is of course great ... but after it was over I still couldn't help thinking '7 Oscars? REALLY?' 

Sacrilege, maybe. I dunno.  

Aw man, The Sting is great!  I just saw it for the first time a few years ago, and would happily watch it again right now, I loved it!

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Sting - yes it bowls along twistingly and amusingly, Redford and Newman have charisma and star-wattage to burn, the score is of course great ... but after it was over I still couldn't help thinking '7 Oscars? REALLY?' 

I had the same reaction.

11 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Were The English Patient (9 Oscars) or Slumdog Millionaire (8 Oscars) so deserving? Today people are spoiled with quality. A movie like The Sting wouldn't stand a chance. Be grateful that you are living today.

marvel1.jpg?fit=2902,1080

All Through the Night

Smashing Bogey flick that pits him against Nazi infultrators in New York with nefarious plans to blow up a battleship. Some great noirish photography and thrilling moments. Feels almost like what North by Northwest might have been if it'd been made 15 years earlier. But my only gripe is what happened to the dog at the end??

On 1/29/2018 at 7:17 AM, Denise Bryson said:

They were so broke on Generations, they reused the Bird of Prey explosion shot.

The economics of the future are somewhat different. You see, money doesn't exist in the 24th century.

Backtrack.

Aussie supernatural horror. Not bad, but these screenwriters need some wit to give these films some levity. Too many of these modern horror flicks are so grim and gloomy, it's hard for me to care about what's going on. I kid thee not, the police constable chick is a genuine cutie.

12 hours ago, Richard said:

There's a lot to be said for Aussie horror:

THE CHANT OF JIMMY BLACKSMITH

RAZORBACK

THE LAST WAVE

THE CARS THAT ATE PARIS

Wolf Creek (the original movie, that is).   

Alien

It played on the big screen a week ago, and it holds up incredibly well. The iconic shocks (like the Dallas airlock scene) still pack a punch, and one of Sir Ridley's best films. Goldsmith's score is still mangled in the film itself, but placement and usage of what remains works gangbusters in the film. Sigourney Weaver really gave a star-making performance here, I prefer this over Aliens.