What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Dr Jekyll And Sister Hyde - Hammer were all over this 'gender-fluid' thing 50 years ago, if this twist on Robert Louis Stevenson's classic creepy tale is anything to go by. Ralph Bates' Dr Jekyll discovers that his experimental 'elixir of life' transfoms him into ... the lovely Martine Beswick, no less. This is set in Whitechapel (so it can riff on Jack The Ripper) and throws in Burke and Hare for good measure, even though their nefarious deeds were carried out in Edinburgh (although maybe their inclusion was a nod to Stevenson's home city). Loopily entertaining. 

On 26/09/2023 at 7:41 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

The Well-Digger's Daughter kinda sounds like the title of a smutty song that a bar full of rugby fans might sing after enough beer, lol. 

It kind of reminded me of Coal Miner's Daughter, don't know why. 

MV5BOTNiMjIzMDUtOGRjNS00OTFkLTg3NDYtMmFj

14 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Dr Jekyll And Sister Hyde - Hammer were all over this 'gender-fluid' thing 50 years ago, if this twist on Robert Louis Stevenson's classic creepy tale is anything to go by. Ralph Bates' Dr Jekyll discovers that his experimental 'elixir of life' transfoms him into ... the lovely Martine Beswick, no less. This is set in Whitechapel (so it can riff on Jack The Ripper) and throws in Burke and Hare for good measure, even though their nefarious deeds were carried out in Edinburgh (although maybe their inclusion was a nod to Stevenson's home city). Loopily entertaining. 

And the score is also pretty good.

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Are you the official A24 account on JWFan? When Ari Aster will make "Midsommar 2: The Revenge"? :lol:

Hahaha, oh to see the faces of those who like to waffle pretentiously about Midsommar if there was a sequel that was a generic slasher thing. 

It's probably De Palma's most mass-appealy film, which has its upsides and downsides. It's also (in parts) the only western he ever made, and the brilliant Morricone score emphasises that. Those points alone make it a classic. And the De Palma/Morricone take on the classic Eisenstein stair sequence it a classic in itself.

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's probably De Palma's most mass-appealy film, which has its upsides and downsides. It's also (in parts) the only western he ever made, and the brilliant Morricone score emphasises that. Those points alone make it a classic. And the De Palma/Morricone take on the classic Eisenstein stair sequence it a classic in itself.

More mass-appealy than Mission : Impossible? Both adaps of classic TV shows, come to think of it. 

Talking Heads : Stop Making Sense - my first time seeing this, at a remastered 40th anniversary screening. I now understand its reputation as the best concert movie ever made - by turns funky, artsy, soulful, surreal, rocking and funny, all brilliantly fronted by the mesmeric David Byrne.

One of the most enjoyable hour-and-a-halfs I've ever spent in a cinema. Wonderful.

12 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

I’ve always found De Palma on the weaker end of the New Hollywood crowd

He agrees with you. I saw an interview where he called himself an "underachiever". The interviewer took exception to this and De Palma said something like "Look at my peer group!"

HP6 again, but with deleted scenes this time. How the HELL did this one not make the cut?

6. "In Noctem" Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Deleted Scene - YouTube

But they were totally right to take this one out:

8. "Discussion at Astronomy Tower" Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Deleted Scene - YouTube

The others should have stayed in. I enjoyed it more this time. Still insane spotting choices, and Harry picking up the locket in front of the whole school isn’t really a safe thing to do I think, security-wise.

The Boys From Brazil - a thriller with a doozy of a plot (Menegle has created clones of Hitler in order to resurrect the Third Reich) which boasts the likes of Laurence Oliver, Gregory Peck, James Mason and Walter Gotell amongst the cast ... which is then unfortunately somewhat undermined by performances/accents that teeter on the brink of parody. Ah well.

15 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Boys From Brazil - a thriller with a doozy of a plot (Menegle has created clones of Hitler in order to resurrect the Third Reich) which boasts the likes of Laurence Oliver, Gregory Peck, James Mason and Walter Gotell amongst the cast ... which is then unfortunately somewhat undermined by performances/accents that teeter on the brink of parody. Ah well.

I mean it does feature Colonel von Strohm from Allo Allo, so it stands to reason… plus they both have memorable waltz main themes. Allo Allo is my favourite Jerry theme ever ;-)

"Don't you understand English, you arse? We are not at home"

:lol:

43 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I mean it does feature Colonel von Strohm from Allo Allo, so it stands to reason… plus they both have memorable waltz main themes. Allo Allo is my favourite Jerry theme ever ;-)

It also has General Gogol, from the Bond films.

"... and it doesn't have to be a Saturday".

The Best Offer (2013)

x1080.jpg

Strongly reminded me of the TV series named Tales Of The Unexpected from the '70s. Celebrated all across the globe but for me it's too much of a (predictable) story-based experience. 5/10

It's so celebrated that I'd never heard of it, until two minutes ago :lol:

It's meant to be a psychological thriller. I'll give it a punt.

TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED, was, usually, TALES OF THE TOTALLY PREDICTABLE, but it was fun to watch.

Catchy theme tune, by Ron "Dr. Who" Grainer. The dancing woman wasn't bad, either :)

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Ah. Not Jerry Goldsmith but rather "Those bloody Jerrys!" Unless you're talking about Boys from Brazil but it seems you're talking about Allo Allo. (I've never seen either.)

Good heavens what a cast. It's even got Wolf Kahler, the most Hollywood German ever.

Ah, the rabbit hole that is the internet:

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's so celebrated that I'd never heard of it, until two minutes ago :lol:

It's meant to be a psychological thriller. I'll give it a punt.

TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED, was, usually, TALES OF THE TOTALLY PREDICTABLE, but it was fun to watch.

Catchy theme tune, by Ron "Dr. Who" Grainer. The dancing woman wasn't bad, either :)

I think, if I want to, that I still remember that tune, but right now I'm listening to Miklos Rozsa's Concerto for Violin and Orchestra, so it has to wait. 

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Watched the new 4K release of Sleepy Hollow. Definitely one of the finest Tim Burton movies. It has all the style but also holds together as a story. Fantastic score as well.

Karol

The first time I switched it off because I didn't like it. The second time the image quality was so poor that I switched it off again. I guess some things aren't meant to be! :mellow:

21 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Yes, I recognised him. Another factor that didn't help in the 'being able to take it seriously' department. 

Would that make the naked blonde in the London flat who ends up dead in bed The Fallen Madonna With The Big Boobies? 

The various reactions of the Beatles to the Rutles are interesting - George loved the idea and was actually heavily involved, John loved it also, Ringo liked it apart from the bits parodying sadder moments that he felt were 'too close to home' and Paul was initially frosty before he discovered that Eric Idle was born and raised not far from Liverpool. 

On 02/10/2023 at 10:33 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

The various reactions of the Beatles to the Rutles are interesting - George loved the idea and was actually heavily involved, John loved it also, Ringo liked it apart from the bits parodying sadder moments that he felt were 'too close to home' and Paul was initially frosty before he discovered that Eric Idle was born and raised not far from Liverpool. 

The bit where Neil Innes kicks the man off of the Apple building, is hilarious.

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

I adore this movie,  I repeat each punch! Cara Mia! Mio Caro!

The Addams Family Values

20231002_202556.jpg

Agreed. It's so much better than the first one.

Just watched RKO's 1939 version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, with Charles Laughton as Quasimodo. An impressive production, with music adapted and composed by Alfred Newman. Most impressive were the very expensive sets of Paris and Notre Dame Cathedral that were built.

The Quasimodo makeup (which was excellent) reminded me of Sloth from The Goonies...so when he swung like Errol Flynn from the cathedral to save Esmeralda, I could just hear him yelling:

image.gif

18 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Just watched RKO's 1939 version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, with Charles Laughton as Quasimodo. An impressive production, with music adapted and composed by Alfred Newman. Most impressive were the very expensive sets of Paris and Notre Dame Cathedral that were built.

Newman's climatic battle sequence music is great musical storytelling. The film is good and impressive, and in some regards more watered down than the Disney (and in others less so) - and compared to the book both are *really* watered down.

3 minutes ago, Steffromuk said:

I watched 1980 The Changeling with George C. Scott and his wife Trish Van Devere.
This is a very good and still chilling movie!!
I was really surprised to get goose bumps running through my bones at key moments of this film.

I loved it.

Agreed. It's a decent film.The drowning sequence is pretty disturbing.

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A very good looking film, especially in 70mm.

I always dreamed that he was at least 153 mm.

Biggles : Adventures In Time - passable mid-80s action adventure with Neil Dickson, Alex Hyde-White and Peter Cushing. I can only assume that the only way to get a movie about Captain W.E. Johns' WW1 flying ace hero commissioned in the 80s was to throw in a sci-fi element, hence the 'holes in time' in this.