What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Yeah but did you enjoy it? 😜

Somehow he was able to keep on watching, so either someone forced him, or maybe there was some element of entertainment after all.

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Confession time: I kinda like the first Jurassic World. It's a stupid movie but at least it's dumb popcorn fun and very watchable. 

Yep. I liked the first one as well! Likeable characters, fun, didn't take itself too seriously, and had just the right amount of callbacks without being obnoxious...more 'homage' than strict fan service. I actually think it's the best since the original JP.

2 hours ago, A24 said:

Somehow he was able to keep on watching, so either someone forced him, or maybe there was some element of entertainment after all.

It was a deal. I watch JW: FK with my girlfriend, and afterwards she would let me do things to her like you wouldn't believe.

I've had worse deals ;)

21 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It was a deal. I watch JW: FK with my girlfriend, and afterwards she would let me do things to her like you wouldn't believe.

I've had worse deals ;)

And the best part is: there is another movie in this trilogy for which you can cut a similar or even better deal!

I do admit I like Jurassic World a bit (lot) less after I saw this video:

Thanks to Ryan from the Pitch Meeting channel for linking to it.

IMG_0136.jpeg

A wonderful film, directed by Hungarian Gábor Csupó.

IMG_0137.jpeg

Only worth watching for JNH’s action packed score.

On 03/03/2024 at 3:21 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

You just know that a film is in trouble, when you care more about computer animated animals, than real, live human beings.

Such was the curious case, last night,  of me vs. JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM.

It started off ok, with people getting some bones from a dead dinosaur, and then being eaten by a (very much) alive one.

Turns out, some old geezer (an American with a very bad English accent - go figure) wants to get a bunch of Dinos from Isla Nubar to the mainland to put them in some park or other. Meanwhile a young, and well dodgy geezer (an Englishman with a very bad American accent - go figure) wants to get his mitts on some Dino DNA so he can create the ultimate fighting machine.

Sound familiar?

Enter the two leads from JURASSIC WORLD, to thwart said young geezer's plans. Throw in a "fuck off" mansion, a cute little cloned kid (no, I'm not making this up!) and a couple of nondescript intern types, plus the guy from JURASSIC PARK who's named after a Steely Dan song,  and you've got yourself a cracking movie.

You think..?

As usual, the dinosaurs are up to ILM's best. It's the actual people who let the side down.

Howard is very pretty (especially in her white cashmere sweater), but she's so stiff that you'd be afraid to look at her the wrong way, lest she falls over, and smashes into a million pieces. Pratt is handsome, and buff, and all that, but he has all the charm and charisma of a two-day-old egg salad that has just been put into the "reduced" section of your local supermarket.

Added to this, the interns are forgettable, with the male intern doing his darnedest to out-scream Chris Tucker, and the (usually) great talents of Jones, Cromwell, and Spall, are completely wasted.

The cinematography is serviceable, and the sound design is adequate, but there's absolutely no sense of wonder. There is not one original shot, or visual (or intellectual, for that matter) idea, in this film. All it really did is to make me want to watch the first one, again. Please note, all further directors of the Jurassic Worldiverse: there's a damn good reason why Spielberg shot JURASSIC PARK in 1.85:1. Watch it, and realize!

I've not seen #6 on the list, but it can't be any worse than this... can it..? :unsure:

I liked Jurassic World. Fallen Kingdom was passable entertainment. Was put off Dominion by how many reviews cited the unnecessarily long runtime and the clearly disinterested performances. 

Last night...

Fart TV presents The Wednesday Night Movie.

This week, THE MUMMY (1999).

GIGGLE! at some really ropey CGIs. Even allowing for 1999, it was pretty shite.

CRINGE! at John Hannah coming off like a fucking eejit, when he's trying to be funny.

BE IMPRESSED! at Adrian Biddle's lush cinematography.

SCRATCH YOUR HEAD! at the, frankly, very odd editing.

SWOON! at Jerry's magnificent, sweeping score.

ROLL YOUR EYES! as an old dude who should know better, comes over all peculiar, whenever Rachel Weisz is on screen :lovethis:

Ok, it could have been better, but it's a fun ride, that passes two hours, quite quickly, and happily. Nothing special.

Film: 4/10

Score: 8/10. I've really taken to this score, in the last few years.

Book your seats for Saturday night, and THE MUMMY RETURNS.

Watched The Mask of Zorro last night on the 4K Blu-ray. Despite some of the anachronisms of its era, it is a delightful film. Charming, well-paced and scored. I had a blast.

Karol

15 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Last night...

Fart TV presents The Wednesday Night Movie.

This week, THE MUMMY (1999).

GIGGLE! at some really ropey CGIs. Even allowing for 1999, it was pretty shite.

CRINGE! at John Hannah coming off like a fucking eejit, when he's trying to be funny.

BE IMPRESSED! at Adrian Biddle's lush cinematography.

SCRATCH YOUR HEAD! at the, frankly, very odd editing.

SWOON! at Jerry's magnificent, sweeping score.

ROLL YOUR EYES! as an old dude who should know better, comes over all peculiar, whenever Rachel Weisz is on screen :lovethis:

Ok, it could have been better, but it's a fun ride, that passes two hours, quite quickly, and happily. Nothing special.

Film: 4/10

Score: 8/10. I've really taken to this score, in the last few years.

Book your seats for Saturday night, and THE MUMMY RETURNS.

Not forgetting those icky flesh-eating beetles. The ropey CGI in this has hopefully prepared you for the absolute STATE of the Scorpion King in Returns, lol. 

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Not forgetting those icky flesh-eating beetles. The ropey CGI in this has hopefully prepared you for the absolute STATE of the Scorpion King in Returns, lol. 

I don't think anything could prepare me for that :lol:

I've not seen TMR, but I have seen that CGI.

Hopefully, the rest is better.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't think anything could prepare me for that :lol:

I've not seen TMR, but I have seen that CGI.

Hopefully, the rest is better.

It's not. It's a truly bad movie but still somewhat entertaining thanks to Alan Silvestri's wonderful score (on par with the Goldsmith, as egregious as that opinion may seem).

IMG_0150.jpeg

It was cute, but Annette Bening was absolutely annoying with her constant grinning, like an imbecil. 

Moonwalker (1988) IMDb 

I saw this in the local cinema yesterday. First time on the silver screen for me. The audience applauded at the end which I thought was cute.

IMG_2639.jpeg

Jack Arnold's production of Richard Matheson's The Incredible Shrinking Man, courtesy of a nice blu-ray from Arrow Films. 

IncredibleShrinkingMan-poster.jpg

Being menaced by a giant cat is one thing, but the spider... the SPIDER...

THE MUMMY RETURNS

LAUGH! as you realize that the CGIs are actually worse than they were, two years before

SMILE WRYLY! at the sight of a CGI Scorpion King being a better actor than its live action counterpart

CRINGE! as poor ol' John Hannah is still a dick, for trying to be funny. Stick to rom-coms, and Rebus, my man

BE DISAPPOINTED! because Rachel Weisz is definitely not as hot as she was, in the original

ADMIRE! Alan Silvestri's score. It's no way as good as Jerry's, but it channels a little bit of Jerry, a soupçon of JW, and a shedload of Rózsa 

COVER YOUR EYES! at the sight of a topless Arnold Vasloo. Honestly, dude, no-one needs to see that

LOOK PUZZLED! at the thought that someone in Hollywierd thought that The Rock could act 

DON'T GIVE ANY SHITS! as you cannot be bothered to care about anything happening on screen

THANK WHATEVER DEITY YOU WORSHIP! as the end credits start to roll 

What the chuffin' 'eck was all that about?!

The Mummy movies that followed it (Tomb of the Dragon Emperor and the Tom Cruise reboot) manage to achieve the spectacular feat of being even worse than Return. Just utter and complete shit all around. And worst of all: they don't have a score as good as Goldsmith's or Silvestri's as their saving grace. 

The Cruise reboot is probably one of the worst movies I ever saw. Just absolutely horrendous, with an ugly cinematography, laughable CGI and worst of all: it's boring! At least the 1999 and Returns were somewhat entertaining (even if in a "Syfy original" kinda way), the reboot is just mind-numbingly tedious.

The only good thing that came out of that crap is this:

Well, back in late 2016 some idiot at Universal uploaded to the internet a version of The Mummy trailer without music or sound effects. Of course it was taken over, but before that the internet had already replicated it all over Twitter, YouTube, etc. Now it lives as a hilarious meme, and the most memorable thing about that movie.

Tom Cruise's screams as the airplane falls is one of the funniest things I ever saw, especially if you imagine him at a recording booth screaming like that.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Tom Cruise's screams as the airplane falls is one of the funniest things I ever saw, especially if you imagine him at a recording booth screaming like that.

Pretty sure some of those are just stock sounds. For example the "hmph" as the lady gets pulled out of the plane, I feel I have heard that on https://soundideas.sourceaudio.com/

3 hours ago, JTN said:

ALL IS TRUE - A beautifully directed and acted film by Kenneth Branagh about the old Shakespeare. I loved it.

Damn it. Starz.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Damn it. Starz.

The channel?

49 minutes ago, JTN said:

The channel?

Yes. I don't have it. I suppose I can wait for a free trial.

7 hours ago, JTN said:

ALL IS TRUE - A beautifully directed and acted film by Kenneth Branagh about the old Shakespeare. I loved it.

Never heard of this.

How is the score by Doyle?

edit: never mind. I just listened to it at spotify.

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Never heard of this.

How is the score by Doyle?

edit: never mind. I just listened to it at spotify.

Nothing special.

2 hours ago, A24 said:

Only 6.3 at IMDb. 

Never listen to scores. I watch a film if I’m interested in the story or the director or the actor or the music.  I’m the judge if I like a film or

not.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

RT likes it, but it made about two shillings thrupence ha'penny at the box office.

Yeah well Avatar 2 made more than a billion and it doesn’t make it good. Just because a film is a financial failure it doesn’t mean it's worth watching.

2001 ASO and Blade Runner flopped.

31 minutes ago, JTN said:

Yeah well Avatar 2 made more than a billion and it doesn’t make it good. Just because a film is a financial failure it doesn’t mean they aren’t worth watching.

2001 ASO and Blade Runner flopped.

2001: ASO was the second highest grossing movie of 1968, not much behind Funny Girl.

2 hours ago, A24 said:

2001: ASO was the second highest grossing movie of 1968, not much behind Funny Girl.

But given how much it cost, it wasn't a success. It took for reruns well into the 1970s for it to really make any decent profit.

I also think its noteworthy that Kubrick never again undertook a Cinerama project, nor another special effects-heavy project: shortly after 2001 he would reject Lord of the Rings. It doesn't seem the painstaking effects work was something he enjoyed or saw much success in.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Then what are you doing here? :lol:

Enjoying the company of good people like you. ;)

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

But given how much it cost, it wasn't a success

A weird thing to say since figures show it was a success. 

But, yeah, haters will be haters.