What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Some of the aborted bits reinstated in the editor cut are good and it was perfectly fine to take out the old man/Harry scene before he decided to join the final fight, but that cut also removes Aunt May final scene. The theatrical is better in the end.

Oh, look. I created a new page again.

15 minutes ago, Brock Lovett said:

Some of the aborted bits reinstated in the editor cut are good and it was perfectly fine to take out the old man/Harry scene before he decided to join the final fight, but that cut also removes Aunt May final scene. The theatrical is better in the end.

It's a bit more than the cut bits being reinstated, the moving of certain scenes helped with the pacing, there's also a few different takes that might have been better as well as Christopher Youngs score being restored. Admittedly I haven't seen the theatrical cut since circa 2009, but the loss of the Aunt May scene and the scene where Peter apologises to Mr Ditkovich are for me the biggest loss to the Editors Cut. 

35 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I know it’s true…

Everything I do

I do it for you 

Never seen the movie, and not really in a hurry to do so, but a great score, and maybe the only “song from the movie” I really like.

1 hour ago, Schilkeman said:

Never seen the movie, and not really in a hurry to do so, but a great score, and maybe the only “song from the movie” I really like.

It's a fun movie, just try to ignore Costner's inconstant English accent. Alan Rickman hams it up big time. And yeah, that score!

1 hour ago, Schilkeman said:

Never seen the movie

Are you lactose intolerant? Because its the cheesiest of all movies. Funny as hell!

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Are you lactose intolerant? Because its the cheesiest of all movies. Funny as hell!

I prefer to call it "lighthearted". :)

38 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

just try to ignore Costner's inconstant English accent.

I mean, I like First Knight, which has an American playing a French knight in medieval England, and an English king with a Scottish accent. I’m sure it wouldn’t bother me.

4 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

Watch the Errol Flynn one.

It's indeed the better movie, with an overall better score. Kamen wins when it comes to the main theme, though. 

ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES is a fricking classic! Gorgeous cinematography, countless quotable lines, great acting from everyone (Costner, Rickman, Freeman, etc.), WONDERFUL SCORE, and a cameo that will make you grin like a child. 

I have good but very pale memories of the Errol Flynn movie, didn't like Costner's Dances With Thiefs flick at all.

My favourite Robin Hood movie is still the Disney one with the animals and Peter Ustinov as Prince John.

Second, and I know, noone here on my side, is the Ridley Scott movie. 

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I have good but very pale memories of the Errol Flynn movie, didn't like Costner's Dances With Thiefs flick at all.

My favourite Robin Hood movie is still the Disney one with the animals and Peter Ustinov as Prince John.

I love the Disney (and it's the very, very, *very* rare exception where I love the German dub as well, because Ustinov is even better dubbing himself in German - although it should still be watched with English subtitles because the translations are poor).

I recommend watching the Flynn and the Disney back to back, to see how much of the animated film was directly inspired by the old classic. Down to details like Robin's stork disguise looking pretty much like Flynn's for the archery tournament.

The Disney Robin Hood was one of my most watched VHSs when I was like 5 or 6. I really love it.

Saw the Costner movie just once when I was a teenager but I liked it as well. Don't know how it would hold up in a rewatch.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Don't know how it would hold up in a rewatch.

Its hillarious, is what it is! Alan Rickman gets more and more hammy, the plot gets cheesier and the whole thing is just a riot. I've scarcely ever laughed this hard at something that wasn't a comedy...

Darkest Hour

Seen it for the third time now, just because Oldman's performance is so incredible. And every time I see the film, I notice new small things he's doing. It's just temendous!

And it also holds a wonderful Marianelli score. Shame him and Wright don't seem to work together anymore, because Wright always brought the best out in him 

I just finished it too. Gary Oldman is great, no doubt about it, bit I did feel the movie is a bit oscar-baity. The score in the movie doesn't strike me as exceptional. 

s-l1600.jpg

12 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

20f95b68-8024-4388-ba28-7740324a107c_text.gif

Anything with the amazing Alan Rickman gets my :up:

11 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

My posts are always last on the previous page, so no-one ever sees them.

And you are?

2 hours ago, Brock Lovett said:

I prefer the shitty Bryan Adams from The Three Musketeers.

Lets make it all for one and all for love

I guess he and Kamen formed a bond during 'Robin Hood', cuz they also collaborated on 'Musketeers' and 'Don Juan DeMarco'. Or Adams just became the go-to guy in Hollywood for mushy movie ballads.

Adams basically owes his career to Kamen, 3 of his greatest hits that he’s best known for were written by MK.

7 minutes ago, JTN said:

Adams basically owes his career to Kamen, 3 of his greatest hits that he’s best known for were written by MK.

As far as his '90s output, sure. But when I think of Adams, I think of his '80s hits. I guess it depends on when you were born.

I was born in the 80s, yet I like music that was made before it. :)

Speaking of Adams, I like “Summer of ‘69”, and I can’t recall any other hit song by him. All his best known hits are Kamen songs.

3 minutes ago, JTN said:

Speaking of Adams, I like “Summer of ‘69”, and I can’t recall any other hit by BA. All his best known hits are Kamen songs.

I know "Heaven", "Please forgive me" and the Kamen songs. I don't know anything else.

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

I know "Heaven", "Please forgive me" and the Kamen songs. I don't know anything else.

Yes, I know those, too.

Yeah. Heaven, Summer of '69, Cuts Like a Knife, Run to You, Somebody, Straight From the Heart, It's Only Love. He did alright before his association with Kamen.

Prisoners. 20 minutes to go. Not rewatchable, as expected. Great score. Why did I pick this one? And why did Taylor never report that bitch?

MV5BNzBlOWY0ZmEtZjdkYS00ZGU0LWEwN2YtYzBk

(theatrical cut)

As with JFK, again I caught 50% of it since I don't understand politics and I don't know American history. (I wonder, is this film and the events that it covers completely understandable to you Americans of the forum?)

Nonetheless, it seems a fascinating film with an excellent performance by Hopkins as always!

I don't understand how it never got nominated for an Oscar for editing. Maybe because it was in the same vein with JFK?

The Williams score is very discreet in the film I would say, although I do recognize some themes and motifs.. I hope the expansion gets released soon!

IMG_0365.jpeg

Great animation, absolutely crazy fantasy escapism. Too bad it never got a sequel. Ramin Djawadi’s score is similar to his GoT scores, it wasn’t bad, but wasn’t good, either. 

15 minutes ago, JTN said:

IMG_0374.jpeg

I missed it when I was a kid, I’m glad I got to watch it now.

Did you know that Ghibli would make this film?

Unfortunately they didn't in the end..

51 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Did you know that Ghibli would make this film?

Yes I did. Apparently it was the worst experience of Miyazaki’s career. 

Walhalla Rising (2009)

Mads-Mikkelsen-dans-Valhalla-Rising-01-2

There's very little dialogue in this movie and it shows that Refn is a much better visual storyteller than let's say Alex Garland. Movie 7/10

71SjJ1HDVmL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I'm not sure why this is so low rated. I get that it's corny and it's also way too long, but it's at 12% on Rotten Tomatoes which might lead one to believe it's one of the worst movies ever made. I mean, there are worse movies that have won Oscars. This one has been the butt of jokes for decades but I don't really get it. Will Patton is a good lunatic villain and it has that going for it. A nice cat and mouse revenge type of movie with funnily enough postal workers going postal.

It's a misfire, but it isn't that bad. As Costnerian entertainment goes, it's mid-tier.