What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Hugo

I still think this is Scorcese's most accessible and magical film. It's nice to see him lose the heaviness and R-rated grittiness of The Departed, Shutter Island and Goodfellas but without sacrificing passion and attention to detail. Every actor involved is putting their all, whether it's Richard Griffiths' glorified cameo to Sacha Baron Cohen's bum-legged Station Inspector to Asa Butterfield's titular role. Robert Richardson's photography and Thelma Schoonmaker's editorial slight-of-hand really work beautifully here.

And I really like Shore's score here. I don't really hear Hobbit or Lord of the Rings here, just a nice and winsome score that fits the film. Can't recommend it enough.

Mulan

There's a nice simplicity to the story and the animation, and it flies by briskly -- which makes repeat viewings quite enjoyable. Eddie Murphy's Mushu is incredibly funny at times, but the anachronistic humor grates at times (although it wasn't as bad as Donkey in Shrek). Jerry Goldsmith's score takes this film to another level... magnificent.

I pray that Disney allows Intrada to release Goldsmith's Mulan score properly... it deserves a legit release.

Hugo

I still think this is Scorcese's most accessible and magical film. It's nice to see him lose the heaviness and R-rated grittiness of The Departed, Shutter Island and Goodfellas but without sacrificing passion and attention to detail.

Well said!

And I really like Shore's score here. I don't really hear Hobbit or Lord of the Rings here, just a nice and winsome score that fits the film. Can't recommend it enough.

The main theme is really lovely. Heartwarming stuff.

his next film Wolf of Wall Street looks so bad.

Really? I think it looks great.

I thought it was just terrible looking. Matthew McCauhnehey looks horrible in it, OMG that hair. It's got bomb written all over it.

I think you're mixing up the Goblin King and Azog (you know, the albino who chases Thorin throughout the entire film to kill him just because... he can). The fact that he's "infamous" for many people (myself included) is because, well, he simply was only mentioned once in the entire book (and actually died during the battle of Azanulbizar. There was no hook thing involved) and the role he's playing in the story (chasing the company to add some sense of danger and urgency to the quest, I suppose) could have easily been filled by his son Bolg (who does appear during the events of the book and

kills Thorin

during the Battle Of Five Armies)

Aw, crap, BB! Y'got me on that one. I did mix the two up.

Actually, I didn't thinking he was chasing Thorin through the whole movie just because he could. He wanted revenge, a simple but effective motivation. And by keeping it Azog instead of Bolg, it gives Thorin a focal point for his own capricious anger (one of his character flaws that will ultimately bring about his downfall). I didn't have a problem with any of this. I thought it lent some decent weight to the early goings, since without it the story would've been as in the book—a series of unrelated encounters and somewhat random battles. Azog brought some linear focus to the proceedings.

Yeah, the problem some people have is that this theme wasn't composed by Shore, but by Plan 9 (the dudes who did the source music in LOTR trilogy). It is bothersome because most consider it the best new theme in the score for The Hobbit, so it's kind of weird to have the best thing to come out of this new score not being written by the one who did the LOTR scores.

That's interesting. I hadn't really paid enough attention to the behind-the-scenes action on the score to this point. But my initial impression is . . . yeah, it is kinda weird to think Shore wasn't at the heart of all this. Could it be that tensions are still a bit tight between the director and composer following their creative differences over King Kong?

- Uni

Iron Man 3. I gotta say I enjoyed every minute of it. I liked how they rounded out the series and honestly I think it's the best of the three. The resolution (ending) of the film was pretty good.

I love how Tony...

Over comes his post traumatic stress from what happened with him in New York (from Avengers) because of that kid he met. I also liked how he was able to come up with a solution to remove the pieces of metal from his chest/heart and make it so he didn't have to wear that piece of technology to keep him alive.

The film looks horrible because of his hair? What?!

did I say that? JFC do you always take things out of context? I just said he looks awful. But the trailer doesn't make me want to spend my cash on it.

I thought it was just terrible looking. Matthew McCauhnehey looks horrible in it, OMG that hair. It's got bomb written all over it.

I thought he looks surprisingly fascinating.

Amazing Spider-Man

Certainly fails to live up to the 'amazing' part by a mile. There's so many things that still irk me about this film -- the origin story beats repeated from Sam Raimi's 2002 film, the writers' boneheaded decision to turn Peter Parker into this emo loser (a shame since Andrew Garfield is pretty talented), Webb's Nolan influence in terms of overall look, and overall story structure. The mystery involving his parents (an intriguing twist) isn't even answered, and the redesigned suit is ugly as hell.

It frustrates me more than anything. There are some good scenes but the movie is unrealized potential. At least James Horner's score lived up to Elfman's work on the original film.

Pretty much how I feel about it.

The movie is do disposable / forgettable, I had already forgotten they were building up some kind of mystery about his parents.

did I say that?

Yes, or one might easily conclude that you did. Perhaps it wasn't what you meant to say but it could explain why you think The Mentalist is such a great TV series.

See, first you state (and thereby shock the world) that the film looks horrible and than you offer your reasons.

Personally, I would never judge a movie based on someone's hair, Joey. I bet you where one of those Presumed Innocent haters beause Harrison Ford didn't wear his Han Solo hair!

Alex - who happy that McCaunehey is finally playing less shallow roles

Pretty much how I feel about it.

The movie is do disposable / forgettable, I had already forgotten they were building up some kind of mystery about his parents.

I'd say the exact opposite :)

Wasn't 'amazing' but certainly enjoyable, and I preferred the overall direction and style to Raimi's. Miles ahead of Spidey 3.

did I say that?

Yes, or one might easily conclude that you did. Perhaps it wasn't what you meant to say but it could explain why you think The Mentalist is such a great TV series.

See, first you state (and thereby shock the world) that the film looks horrible and than you offer your reasons.

Personally, I would never judge a movie based on someone's hair, Joey. I bet you where one of those Presumed Innocent haters beause Harrison Ford didn't wear his Han Solo hair!

Alex - who happy that McCaunehey is finally playing less shallow roles

Then at least have the courtesy of spelling him right; it is McConaughey

It's not big deal to misspell his name.

as usual Alex Cremmers is clueless. He tries bless his heart, he tries. His best effort is to role out the Mentalist.

Alex saying McCaunehey(McConaughey) is playing less shallow roles, my God that Character is so shallow. ROTFLMAO

Now if you want a character that isn't shallow you should watch Mud. Perhaps his best performance in a film.

btw I never saw Presumed Innocent. I figure I must not have wanted to watch it since Harrison Ford didn't have Han Solo Hair.

btw I never saw Presumed Innocent. I figure I must not have wanted to watch it since Harrison Ford didn't have Han Solo Hair.

It's an OK courtroom thriller and Ford's bowl cut actually looked good on him.

It's an OK courtroom thriller and Ford's bowl cut actually looked good on him.

I just never got around tuit.

roundtoit.jpg

Presumed Innocent is a good one. You oughta give it a look.

Regardless of his hair, Matthew MiKAAAAAAAHNahee is one of those actors who really only plays himself in every film. That's not necessarily a terrible thing, so long as the role fits well enough.

- Uni

Come on Karol! It's an old meme! You should follow the internet more!

Ren's too caught up in The Bold and the Beautiful to be concerned with anything else

It's not like Man of Steel, Ren. Lee also likes good films/shows.

Karol

My next avatar is MoS related actually, but the exact image I want isn't readily available yet.

There's more Amy Adams' than you'd imagine, but not so much Amy Adams.

I wouldn't see it solely for her inclusion, no.

Absolutely not.

I also like Russel Crowe though, and his voice is spot on for Jor-El.

As for Henry Cavill, I dunno, I keep thinking back on how interesting Reeve looked in the role so it isn't fair to him.

Ren's too caught up in The Bold and the Beautiful to be concerned with anything else

I love that soap. Some of the most intricate and complex storytelling that would make Christopher Nolan blush. ;)

Karol

It's not like Man of Steel, Ren. Lee also likes good films/shows.

Karol

My next avatar is MoS related actually, but the exact image I want isn't readily available yet.

God if you really think I watch shit like that...... Whatever.