What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

High-Rise

Uh, I don't get it. Couldn't those people get out of the building? This movie feels like it was made for stoopid wiener nerds who like all that artsy fartsy shit. Ohhh lah-di-dah, look at me, I'm tho intawektual!

San-Andreas. Marvelous disaster film where tens of millions die but the Rock saves his ex and their daughter plus a few others. 5 people yeah

I watched Gone With the Wind. For the first time.

Well. A relationship drama wrapped in a 30s Hollywood extravaganza in a civil war setting viewed from the South. The emotional bits are overdone and campy, and the war bits are clash some more with the combination. I actually wasn't sure whether the film was commendable (for its time) for having a few comparatively strong black characters, or racist for having the whole cast (including themselves) mourning the loss of the "Southern civilisation" including slavery, or simply a reasonable portrayal of a temperate part Southern society around that time.

It did have a couple of somewhat strong moments in the second half (sadly buried in a big pool of over-pathetic melodrama), and it's at least interesting for a film from 1939 to have a thoroughly unsympathetic protagonist. I didn't like Vivien Leigh's performance at first (when she played Scarlett at her youngest), but she got stronger with the later parts of the film, and I'm just fond of Olivia de Havilland.

Grand classic theme, of course, and some more fine music, although I don't think the score as a whole is all that special. But then I'm not usually a big Steiner fan.

A Prophet - Pretty great French drama about an Iran Man that's sent to prison. Given the acclaim, I'm surprised it's taken me so long to see it. A long film, but I found most of it quite compelling - 8.5 / 10

Pacific Heights

Movies like this are why I'm glad us landlords delegate this crap to real estate agents. Oh and if you're familiar with the early ID4 trailers, the music originated here. Had no idea that was Zimmer music!

Berserk!

Schlocky but fun 60s Joan Crawford fare. Very entertaining with some really amazing circus setpieces. Only problem is the ending is a copout and has pretty much the same outcome as her earlier film Strait-Jacket. All I feel like now is a Pepsi.

7 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Pacific Heights

Movies like this are why I'm glad us landlords delegate this crap to real estate agents. Oh and if you're familiar with the early ID4 trailers, the music originated here. Had no idea that was Zimmer music!

I love that movie. Underrated!

The Hunger Games trilogy.

I'm not a fan of YA books, and where I mostly have nothing but disdain for stuff like Twilight or Divergent, I confess a fascination with the Hunger Games world and characters.  I'm not sure why I find it so interesting. I've done quite a bit of reading about totalitarian regimes, and it's a subject I'm interested in, so maybe that's it.

The first film, which I've watched several times, is clearly the best of the bunch, and the world building here is efficient and compelling, as are the characters.  Donald Sutherland as President Snow is a scene stealer and I wish we saw a lot more of his character.  Not much to add to the reams of praise Jennifer Lawrence has gotten for her portrayal of Katniss, except that she deserves every bit of it. The whole thing is eminently watchable, which always surprises me because this is typically not the type of film I go for.

The second film is basically more of the same, and bit of a step down, but still enjoyable enough. 

The third and fourth movies are a depressing slog, and I found it hard to get through them even the first time. If these films are faithful to the book, its one instance where I wish they had made changes.  

21 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I watched Gone With the Wind. For the first time.

Gone with the Wind is always fun to watch and talk about, if for no other reason than doing so annoys people and can cause no end of pearl clutching.

10 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I'm not a fan of YA books, and where I mostly have nothing but disdain for stuff like Twilight or Divergent, I confess a fascination with the Hunger Games

Oh, Twilight is on a whole other league of awful!

Educating Rita  (1983)

A simply fantastic film from the great (and recently departed) Bond director Lewis Gilbert, based on the play by Willy Russell.  Julie Walter plays Rita, a working class hairdresser in Liverpool, who takes an open uni lit course from Professor Frank Bryant, played by Michael Caine in perhaps his best role ever.  Their (platonic) relationship changes both their lives, and seeing the Pygmalion like journey of Rita as she learns to "sing a new song" is one of the finest treats in cinema you'll ever get. 

Highly recommended for anyone who loves Shakespeare, literature, enjoyed Dead Poet's Society or Shadowlands, and is looking for fantastic dialogue, brilliant performances and story that will inspire anyone who wants to change their life.

The 80's synthesiser score, however, is....unfortunate.

Beauty and the Beast

I'm not that big on cartoons and Disney's not that incredibly big here in general (maybe just not in this household), so I've never seen most of the classics.

Since this one had a fair bit of hubbub with the remake and all, and I learnt it was the first animated film to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar, I decided to check it out and I've been missing out, this is damn good! I'd have watched it a lot when I was a kid. Nothing felt too annoying or forced, the only song I was unimpressed by was Beauty and the Beast, it comes together into a pleasant package, and it's so goddamn gorgeous!

Any recommendations on other classics I MUST see? Not too many please, a top 5 will suffice for now.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Any recommendations on other classics I MUST see? Not too many please, a top 5 will suffice for now.

Let's start with three, reasonably different ones:

Robin Hood

The Little Mermaid

The Lion King

There's a ton more, from all eras, but I can easily pick this three as 1) personal favourites that 2) shouldn't cause any controversies.

Critters 1, 2, 3 & 4

Ugh... where do they come up with this stuff??

Holy smhmoly, I haven't watched these in 25 years. The first two films are lot of 80s creature horror fun, especially the second one with its cheeky Easter time backdrop. They're really sister films to the Freddy Krueger series. But things take a steep plunge in quality in the third installment, boring as hell until the suspenseful end credits sequence. The fourth one is an endurance test, not even good for ASMR.

6 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

The first two films are lot of 80s creature horror fun

That they are.

There's a great discussion about the first film here:

I must have watched Critters ten times when I was a kid, it was always on late night TV and it was perfect for it. Never saw any of the follow ups.

It was pretty cool to see the young lad show up in The Orville all these years later.

18 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I even saw it in theatres at the time.

firefox-clint-eastwood-movie-poster.jpg

And it was one of the worst movies that I saw in 1982.

It has a good Jarre score, and can any film that has Kenneth Colley, Warren Clarke, Nigel Hawthorne, Freddie Jones, and Ronald Lacey in it, and be shot by Bruce Surtees, be that bad?

As we all know, 1982 was an unusually great year for movies, but Firefox wasn't one of them.

I'm truly sorry, Richard & Steef.

I really am.

On 4/11/2018 at 7:20 AM, Margo Channing said:

Critters 1, 2, 3 & 4

Ugh... where do they come up with this stuff??

Holy smhmoly, I haven't watched these in 25 years. The first two films are lot of 80s creature horror fun, especially the second one with its cheeky Easter time backdrop. They're really sister films to the Freddy Krueger series. But things take a steep plunge in quality in the third installment, boring as hell until the suspenseful end credits sequence. The fourth one is an endurance test, not even good for ASMR.

I love this franchise. It was a staple of my childhood next to Gremlins. Not a fan of Critters in space? ;)

On 10/4/2018 at 11:56 PM, Holko said:

Beauty and the beast is my favourite animation film ever, and my second favourite film ever (after  E.T.).

On the same day i got the bootleged VHS (after I had seen it at the cinema), i watched it 3 times!

My recommendations would be:

Snow white

Pinocchio

Fantasia

Bambi

Alice in Wonderland

If you're not aquainted with old classic Disney you may be bored with some parts (from Snow white or Bambi especially), so I'm substituting those with Aladdin and The Hunchback of  Notre Dame.

(although Snow white deserves to be seen by everyone, as the first animated feature film ever in history)

Now I've got quite a sizeable batch. Snow White would have been the next anyway, if I started with the most acclaimed one, why not continue with the one that started it all?

And just to be perfectly clear: I know about all of these, I've seen shorter or longer segments from all of them, a lot of them I've read book versions with pictures form the movies, or even the originals from which they were adapted (Alice, Pinocchio, Little Mermaid), I've just never really seen any of them.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Fantasia

Fantasia is a bit of a mixed bag for me, some odd segments, but some very strong ones, too. Overall definitely worth seeing, of course. Although (is this sacrilege?) I'd say the one must-see standout segment is the finale (the Firebird bit) of Fantasia 2000.

Broadcast News

A significant improvement on JLB's first film Terms of Endearment, although it might have to do with my connection to the industry it depicts. Holly Hunter was cute as a button. Film reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Bart and Lisa work on the station's "Kidz News", where Bart struggles with the hard-hitting stuff that Lisa excels at, so he succeeds at manipulative and shallow human interest stories. I'm sure that ep was based on this movie.

The Avengers.

Now I'm definitely hooked on the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This one was really, really great. I just loved how all these characters came together in this nearly perfect story. It was particularly satisfying to see more of Black Widow and that she got her own backstory. Iron Man's endless barrage of sarcastic humour is always welcome too, but I still don't know whether Loki is just a bad character or whether I'm not understanding him. This was also the first time that Thor annoyed me and can someone please tell me why alien motherships are never prepared for nuclear weapons?

The score was very functional and had some nice parts, but even though I love the Avengers' theme, I find it a little ungrateful not to reference Doyle's, Armstrong's, Djawadi's and Debney's efforts. Musical continuity, please.

On 09/04/2018 at 5:15 PM, Margo Channing said:

High-Rise

Uh, I don't get it. Couldn't those people get out of the building? This movie feels like it was made for stoopid wiener nerds who like all that artsy fartsy shit. Ohhh lah-di-dah, look at me, I'm tho intawektual!

It's one of these "microcosm of society" films. Its satirical elements are in the same vane as, SHIVERS and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

I'm no stoopid weiner nerd, but I liked it.

4 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Broadcast News

A significant improvement on JLB's first film Terms of Endearment, although it might have to do with my connection to the industry it depicts. Holly Hunter was cute as a button. Film reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Bart and Lisa work on the station's "Kidz News", where Bart struggles with the hard-hitting stuff that Lisa excels at, so he succeeds at manipulative and shallow human interest stories. I'm sure that ep was based on this movie.

That's news!

I feel head over heals for Holly Hunter, after watching this.

I've got chills.

It's the second best film, about television.

Big finish!

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The Avengers.

Now I'm definitely hooked on the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This one was really, really great. I just loved how all these characters came together in this nearly perfect story. It was particularly satisfying to see more of Black Widow and that she got her own backstory. Iron Man's endless barrage of sarcastic humour is always welcome too, but I still don't know whether Loki is just a bad character or whether I'm not understanding him. This was also the first time that Thor annoyed me and can someone please tell me why alien motherships are never prepared for nuclear weapons?

The score was very functional and had some nice parts, but even though I love the Avengers' theme, I find it a little ungrateful not to reference Doyle's, Armstrong's, Djawadi's and Debney's efforts. Musical continuity, please.

Uma Thurman looked great in this!