What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I count only one good scene (most of TMP is downright childish) but we've already talked about it too many times. Don't you guys move on?

(Check out the latest pages for my patented selection of danceable hits from the '70s and '80s!...the time period before obnoxious conversation surrounded Star Wars like death surrounded the Ark of the Covenant)

1 hour ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

What's the one good scene?

All I can say is that the scene in question is better than all Disney Star Wars episodes combined.

I'm watching Spider-Man 3 now on UHD Blu-ray. While flicking through audio options I discovered there is an "alternate score" track. I didn't get a chance to listen to the whole thing but Young's love theme is restored and I imagine most (if not all) of his original score. I had no idea such a version exists!

Karol

Yea, it was mentioned around here or the other place somewhere.  Pretty neat someone spent the time to make that!

Eyes of Laura Mars. Weird film. Not good, not quite bad. I did like the songs in the film and used to have the original soundtrack. Irvin Kershner's film before ESB. 

52 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I'm watching Spider-Man 3 now on UHD Blu-ray. While flicking through audio options I discovered there is an "alternate score" track. I didn't get a chance to listen to the whole thing but Young's love theme is restored and I imagine most (if not all) of his original score. I had no idea such a version exists!

Karol

Yeah they restored a lot of it on the Editor's Cut, which I didn't even know existed until recently. The music at the end was better on the original cut.

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Aroona moona taffa.

Clean the OSTs. Then you can go home.

I'm starting to think the DNR has something to do with the effects and the resolution at which they were rendered. It's possible they originally looked awkward similar to effects shots in Jurassic Park. There are some particularly awkward looking shots in the brachiosaur/herd scene. Lucas probably figured an application of DNR would soften everything up enough to stand up to the scrutiny of 1080p. I just can't doubt the man. He was right about everything.

M:i:III

As the series goes on, the abbreviations get more extreme! J.J. Abrams brings the franchise back to its espionage roots without sacrificing the action that Woo injected into the previous film. The set pieces are great and Hoffman is the perfect antagonist. I was reminded how good Giacchino’s score was and really enjoyed it in the film. 

An American Tail: Fievel Goes West

Probably my favorite 90's animated film, at least as far as the mainstream goes. Better than the original at the very least. The animation is leaps and bounds ahead of both that as well as what Disney was doing at the time, the performances are more assured, the songs are more consistently excellent and it’s overall a lot less saccharine and maudlin. Shame it was foolhardy enough to try and go up against Beauty and the Beast, a battle which ended something like this.

Image result for popeye punch gif

8 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

I'm starting to think the DNR has something to do with the effects and the resolution at which they were rendered. It's possible they originally looked awkward similar to effects shots in Jurassic Park. There are some particularly awkward looking shots in the brachiosaur/herd scene. Lucas probably figured an application of DNR would soften everything up enough to stand up to the scrutiny of 1080p. I just can't doubt the man. He was right about everything.

Including selling it all to Disney.

Leo still had his baby face in Revolutionary Road, so it was another movie I wouldn't have been able to take him seriously in, playing a grown up part like that. I even had the same issue with Inception, which I did see.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Phil Seymour Hoffman is far and away the best antagonist the film series has yet to muster up

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I agree, although the rest of the movie around him is just good, not great.

Sorry, what movie are you guys talking about?

1 hour ago, Richard said:

It's cynical, indeed, but also very good. The last shot is very, very funny.

It couldn't end more cynical than what we see in the last scene, though.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Phil Seymour Hoffman is far and away the best antagonist the film series has yet to muster up

No.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The scene in the Vatican is great. JJ does good action setpieces.

Agreed. I also like the bridge scene well enough. It’s Orci’s and Kurtzman’s script that hurts the film. Glad that duo fell off the blockbuster map. 

Lethal Weapon (Director's Cut) - the extra scenes seem to mostly consist of Riggs confronting and taking down a nutjob gunman who is terrorising a schoolyard. Still a 'buddy-buddy' cop action-thriller classic.    

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Are you crazy?!

Mission-Impossible-1996-Jon-Voight.png

There can be only one!

I agree...with Alex.

Although the others have great set-pieces, M:I is still the best, most stylish, and - dare I say it - the most intelligent, of the lot.