What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Watching Predator on UHD Blu-ray right now. People who enjoy the waxy DNR'd Blu-ray from 2008 will absolutely hate this... It's grainy and filmic not quite unlike Fox's transfer of Die Hard released earlier this year. They look like films now! :)

The film itself, as we all know, is a classic. Perfectly executed piece of action/suspense cinema.

Karol

It came out today. But the standard Blu-ray is still the waxy version, sadly. :(

Predator 2 also apoears to be brand new 4K scan. Or it appears to be anyway. The third one is a 2K upscale.

But it will upset a lot of people who equate 4K with "sharp and "bright". But will satisfy those who want a more faithful reproduction.

Karol 

Amazon shows a new BD edition also coming out today (well, tomorrow).  You really think its the old transfer and not the new one on that?

He looks better in this pic than he did 10 years ago.

The trilogy set I bought has Blu-ray discs too but it says 2008-2010 so I assume they must be the old ones.

Karol

38 minutes ago, crocodile said:

He looks better in this pic than he did 10 years ago.

I thought the same thing. Pity Dutch won't be showing up to save the next movie.

The Mummy

The Mummy Returns

In reverse chronological order. These are good popcorn flicks and they hold up. Sure, they don't make a lot of sense, especially the entirety of the second one, but who cares? They're movies about a guy wrapped in bandages coming back from the dead. The characters are fucking great, power couples O'Connell and Evy, Imhotep and that broad with the asps and ass whose name I can't spell, the frickin' epically scumbag brother and those guys repeatedly referring to The Mummy as "the creature." So many great characters that you care about and that's all that a movie needs, even if it makes no fucking sense that they would punish a criminal by giving him incredible magic powers. All the ridiculous action is a big bonus.

Jurassic World

This one, like The Mummy 3, came in a box set with the two movies I actually wanted. I just fall asleep during this one.

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

Watching Predator on UHD Blu-ray right now. People who enjoy the waxy DNR'd Blu-ray from 2008 will absolutely hate this... It's grainy and filmic not quite unlike Fox's transfer of Die Hard released earlier this year. They look like films now! :)

The film itself, as we all know, is a classic. Perfectly executed piece of action/suspense cinema.

Karol

I don’t mean to be rude or anything but, are you buying all the 4K releases you continually discuss here? I’m envious if you are, I can’t keep up with the outpouring of releases!

@Corellian2019 informed me that Fincher’s Panic Room is getting a 4K releas later this year. Can’t fucking wait!

I have the 4Ks of JP series, Apollo 13 and Godzilla (1998). I still need the Ghostbusters (1984, Male) and Ghostbusters II. I enjoy the slick black packaging. The cover of Apollo 13 features photos of the crew as they once appeared as a photo op on a cliff at Universal Studios Hollywood which was recently removed.

Universal Studios:

universal-studios-hollywood.jpg

UHD:

52918322.jpeg

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I don’t mean to be rude or anything but, are you buying all the 4K releases you continually discuss here? I’m envious if you are, I can’t keep up with the outpouring of releases!

@Corellian2019 informed me that Fincher’s Panic Room is getting a 4K releas later this year. Can’t fucking wait!

Well...I suppose most of the film I talk about in this thread recently are UHD discs, yeah. I bought quite a few this year. About 50. Probably overdid it a bit but I also sold pretty much all of my regular Blu-ray and DVD discs at the same time so it wasn't that much of a blow financially. But I'm pretty much up to speed with older releases so only getting stuff as it comes out. Shame smaller labels like Criterion or Arrow don't plan to release anything.

Oh that would be fantastic. I don't think there is even a Blu-ray release of PR. Not here anyway. I like this film.

And why would asking a question be rude? I can't recall you ever be rude to me. :)

Karol

4 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

The Mummy

The Mummy Returns

In reverse chronological order. These are good popcorn flicks and they hold up. Sure, they don't make a lot of sense, especially the entirety of the second one, but who cares? They're movies about a guy wrapped in bandages coming back from the dead. The characters are fucking great, power couples O'Connell and Evy, Imhotep and that broad with the asps and ass whose name I can't spell, the frickin' epically scumbag brother and those guys repeatedly referring to The Mummy as "the creature." So many great characters that you care about and that's all that a movie needs, even if it makes no fucking sense that they would punish a criminal by giving him incredible magic powers. All the ridiculous action is a big bonus.

Never liked 'em. I'd always just rather watch the originals again instead (Indiana Jones).

Oh no I won't be rebuying everything. Some smaller films are unlikely (at this time) to receive UHD release. And I probably won't replace my Marvel films as well. There is no point. The stuff I've got so far:

Spoiler

7 Nolan films.

Jurassic Park 1-3 collection

Mission: Impossible 1-5

Game of Thrones Season 1

Spider-man trilogy

E.T.

Close Encounters

Sicario

Die Hard

Logan

John Wick 1-2

Planet of the Apes trilogy (2011-2017)

Star Trek 1-3 (Abrams)

Ghostbusters

Crouching Tiger

Deadpool

Groundhog Day

Black Panther

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Bridge on the River Kwai

Phantom Thread

King Kong

Gladiator

The Matrix

Saving Private Ryan

Blade Runner (both)

The Revenant

Predator 1-3

Ready Player One

The Last Jedi

Some of them I'll probably get rid of at some point. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Never liked 'em. I'd always just rather watch the originals again instead (Indiana Jones).

Still better than Crystal Skull though, right?

Karol

It's a spoof Indiana Jones film from 2008. Not quite unlike those Scary Movie horror spoof films that Wyans brothers did. Same principle.

Karol

The Love Parade (1929; Ernst Lubitsch)

A wonderful, charming early talkie musical-comedy.  Maurice Chevalier was a great movie star, his suave, sarcastic comedic persona is very entertaining.  The actors who played the servants were hilarious. The gender issues are pretty outdated, but it's part of the old charm of it, I guess.  Anyway, the point is glitzy production design, the silly comedy, the risque jokes, and the pretty melodies.  Lubitsch Touch in full effect!

@Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya would love it.  The main thrust of the plot is a womanizing man who is emasculated by marrying a powerful woman who can boss him around, and the story is resolved by her letting him take charge.

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The Love Parade (1929; Ernst Lubitsch)

A wonderful, charming early talkie musical-comedy.  Maurice Chevalier was a great movie star, his suave, sarcastic comedic persona is very entertaining.  The actors who played the servants were hilarious. The gender issues are pretty outdated, but it's part of the old charm of it, I guess.  Anyway, the point is glitzy production design, the silly comedy, the risque jokes, and the pretty melodies.  Lubitsch Touch in full effect!

@Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya would love it.  The main thrust of the plot is a womanizing man who is emasculated by marrying a powerful woman who can boss him around, and the story is resolved by her letting him take charge.

Yeah that sort of shit fascinates me.

McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971; Robert Altman)

The other movie I watched yesterday at home on a sick day (in addition to The Love Parade).  One of my favorite movies of all time from one of my favorite filmmakers.

A fascinating, beautiful film.  The movie is so.... textural.  Beatty is great in an anti-star performance as the bumbling, idiotic McCabe.  Julie Christie also impressive as the world-wise brothel madam who only finds happiness in her opium habit.  See also great character actors like Rene Auberjonois (of DS9) and Michael Murphy.

The story is good, Beatty as the little guy entrepreneur getting crushed by the unforgiving machinations of corporate America.  I especially love the main guy sent to kill him by the company, the super friendly, super scary British dude.

But I feel like the main pleasures of this movie, as with pretty much all Altmans, is not in the narrative but the way he luxuriates in the setting and his characters.  Filling the screen with weird characters, all the overlapping dialogue, the way the town is slowly built over the course of the film, the ice and snow.  I love how utterly amoral this frontier town is.  It makes sense, the kind of people who would initially populate places like this would not be conventional people.

I LOVE THIS MOVIE.

23 minutes ago, Richard said:

Jay, did you know that the bath in the bath scene, had no water in it?

ok?

I saw the film once in theaters 16 years ago and haven't seen it since.  I don't even remember a bathtub scene, sorry.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Julie Christie. Aah! 😍

I watched DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, the other day, and she was just as (sigh) in that!

She's great!

Special props to that movie (McCabe, I mean) for introducing me to Leonard Cohen when I were a younger lad.

Scout's Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse - occasionally one of the free-to-view movie channels will screen something that just suits perfectly, and so it proved with this entertaining comedy-horror's terrestrial premiere on Film 4 last night. 

Maybe I'm just an overgrown schoolboy, but a bit where an attractive girl zombie's shirt gets snagged on a gate causing it to pop open and inspiring one of the titular Scouts to help himself to a quick grope made me howl. The #MeToo movement have been very quiet on the rights of undead women, for shame.

11 hours ago, crocodile said:

Oh no I won't be rebuying everything. Some smaller films are unlikely (at this time) to receive UHD release. And I probably won't replace my Marvel films as well. There is no point. The stuff I've got so far:

Hide contents

7 Nolan films.

Jurassic Park 1-3 collection

Mission: Impossible 1-5

Game of Thrones Season 1

Spider-man trilogy

E.T.

Close Encounters

Sicario

Die Hard

Logan

John Wick 1-2

Planet of the Apes trilogy (2011-2017)

Star Trek 1-3 (Abrams)

Ghostbusters

Crouching Tiger

Deadpool

Groundhog Day

Black Panther

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Bridge on the River Kwai

Phantom Thread

King Kong

Gladiator

The Matrix

Saving Private Ryan

Blade Runner (both)

The Revenant

Predator 1-3

Ready Player One

The Last Jedi

Some of them I'll probably get rid of at some point. 

Still better than Crystal Skull though, right?

Karol

Interesting list.

There are many films I love on your list. A majority of films I love.

UHD's are still quite expensive so I'm trying to pick only the ones you want to keep. Some of them I'm not sure sure about (Trek)

Karol

All my new purchases are going to be 4K. But I may replace a few films I have. ET perhaps. 

My first was IT!

Sony does a good job. The Spider-Man films (especially 2 and 3), Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day... All excellent stuff. And also real 4K scans (unlike most releases out there).

Karol