The Official Jerry Goldsmith Thread

Faleel

17 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I've never understood how 12 tone music is written.

I can’t understand how musicians seeing that complex score for the first time at the recording session can play it with perfect professionalism 5 minutes later.

7 hours ago, filmmusic said:

This is one of the greatest cues ever, but I've never understood how 12 tone music is written.

Can anyone recommend any good book on that?

Obviously there's Wikipedia as a starting point... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-tone_technique

...but as for books, I can't say I know of any offhand to recommend. I mean, my understanding is that it's essentially music based on a row of notes that uses every note in the western scale (there being 12, hence 12 tone music) and each note is only used once. Variation is introduced by changes to tempo or by inverting or reversing the order of the initial 12 notes, laying those on top of each other and so on. I think some composers end up cheating to make it work but fundamentally you are only supposed to use your original row or variations thereon. 

19 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Perhaps a kickstarter? If it doesn’t have to overcome a bunch of legal obstacles.

It might, but I'm sure legal fees could also be covered by such a crowdfunding campaign. Let's hope somebody takes it up!

Yavar

1 hour ago, Signals said:

What's the Tristar goldsmith?

56 minutes ago, Jay said:

Gladiator or Love Field

Naw, it's gotta be Basic Instinct, going by the date and the fact that these are all clearly alphabetized. I briefly thought it might somehow be (Mr.) Baseball, another 1992 film, but that's not Tristar. And Brotherhood of the Gun (aka Hollister) was a TV movie that aired in October 1991, so doesn't quite work with the visible date either.

Yavar

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Listing to this great end title cue from the 70s. I definitely hear the three notes of the beginning of his Voyager theme.

9 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Listing to this great end title cue from the 70s. I definitely hear the three notes of the beginning of his Voyager theme.

Well, in late 1994 Jerry thought "Wow, this will be the FOURTH Star Trek show. And this will be the THIRD Star Trek thing I've written for. And they already use my theme for another one. And I hear they're making ANOTHER movie next year and they want me for that one! Wow, there's just a SWARM of these things!"

41 minutes ago, Damien F said:

And the best thing about it - it's not MQA encoded!

On 05/01/2024 at 12:05 AM, Tallguy said:

Of all the Goldsmith pieces I would ever have expected to hear on Piano, this one is not it. Very nice. Surprisingly the best bits (I think) are the more action oriented parts towards the end.

Hey! Isn't this 'Let's Get Small'?

Good, though :)

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Hey! Isn't this 'Let's Get Small'?

Good, though :)

Let's Get Small was the original LP title. State of the Art / The Charge is the tile on the LLL set (and presumably Jerry's title).