FSM Releases 5CD Complete Ben Hur (over 6 hours of music)

Joe Brausam

Each of discs 3, 4, and 5 include one of the 3 LPs, and the alternates from the original recordings are also spread across those 3 discs.

The LPs are very worth while, much of the music was rewritten for them.

Looks like a great set, but I'll have to wait a bit until I can pick it up.

How many more FSM release are there after this?

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/484/Ben-Hur/

The artwork for this release is outstanding!

This is really quite amazing. We have this, Tadlow's Quo Vadis being recorded this spring...

Hook possibly coming?

Beyond that all I want is The Ten Commandments, then my holy trails are done!

I'm genuinely surprised this is limited to only 2,000 copies.

Should have been 3,000 or 5,000 or unlimited I'd have thought.

Agreed Jason, I would think the same thing. The Rhine Edition of the score is great, but I a 5CD release definitely sounds like something I'll be getting. Awesome! Can't wait! Ben-Hur is one of my favourite scores of all time.

Next up, Tadlow's release of Rozsa's epic Quo Vadis.

I'm genuinely surprised this is limited to only 2,000 copies.

Should have been 3,000 or 5,000 or unlimited I'd have thought.

After grossly overestimating the demand for just about every other large set, I'm sure FSM wanted to play it safe this time.

Pass! I have owned the Rhino set for donkeys years, and never listen to it.

Same here. I've had the Rhino single-disc version since the 90's, and that's enough for me. In fact, I'm interesting in selling that off and replacing it with one of those old LP program thingies (also represented within this new set, I believe). My mind explodes in the heavy 'rowing'/sea battle sequence on the album, and I've come to understand that these previous albums focus less on this grating action material and more on the spiritual stuff, which is why I like this score in the first place.

My mind explodes in the heavy 'rowing'/sea battle sequence on the album, and I've come to understand that these previous albums focus less on this grating action material

Is that really all that you can handle?

My mind explodes in the heavy 'rowing'/sea battle sequence on the album, and I've come to understand that these previous albums focus less on this grating action material

Thor is gravely ill, after a life of debauchery...

Yes.

I ordered this. I distinctly remember buying the Rhino brand new on Half.com back in 2003 -- and soon forgetting that I even ordered it because Media Mail took three weeks to deliver -- but this is a classic. I'll probably hang onto the Rhino even though I still have not read the liner notes contained in that set (or in 80% of the more recent scores I've bought eiter), but I'm looking forward to this.

Maybe FSM's decision on the lower numbers for the limited side was because they think it might not sell well. Probably after the Ron Jones Star Trek TNG set Lukas figured he might as well make a set like this lower numbered, just in case if it doesn't sell out.

Yeah, Lukas said he wants to play it safe and not end up with extra stock. He also made the good point that if it sells well, which it should, another label would likely lisence it out at some point to keep the title in print seeing as it is such a high profile score.

Damnation and blasted! Must not buy, must resist urge to buy. Must stop the voices in my head saying that I have been putting off the moment of buying Ben Hur just for the reason I knew there was going to be an über-box like this coming sometime in the future. Must resist!!!

Damnation and blasted! Must not buy, must resist urge to buy. Must stop the voices in my head saying that I have been putting off the moment of buying Ben Hur just for the reason I knew there was going to be an über-box like this coming sometime in the future. Must resist!!!

Good try. ;)

Can't wait for a 6 c.d. TESB score release with 4 disks of totally different alternates

Golly, when you put it that way, this Ben-Hur set does seem extreme.

Extreme plus FSM equals legendary.

Extreme? It's well known that I'm not a fan of Gerhardt's ESB recording, but with Star Wars, a release with the OST, the Gerhardt recording and some other suite recordings would be awesome.

If only I wasn't poor! LOL. I don't even know this score at all but just the fact that it is such a complete and archival kind of release makes me want it badly.

I still haven't gotten it yet, waiting to see what other releases we have this month and maybe I might get the Miklos Rozsa treasury as well (still haven't gotten that one!). How long do you think it'll last.

And Mr. Josh, get this score, its a classic and quite epic!