Jurassic Park 3D re-release in theaters April 5 2013

Matt C

Can't wait for this!!!

And to finally have the physical soundtrack will be a dream come true woop.gif

You don't own it?

I don't feel like I have to own every JW score ever released, but the classics should be in everyone's collection.

I thought that was common consensus. It should be.

If you measure the Williams classics by how well known they are in public, JP, Schindlers List, and probably Sorcerer's Stone are the only ones in Williams' opus of the last 20 years that have the status of the classics like Star Wars or Jaws.

Jurassic Park is hardly among the man's best work.

Okay, you just lost me there. JP is up there with Superman and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for me -- it's essential Williams listening.

I think watching Jurassic Park 3D is the great experience than any other 3D movie. I just want to seen those big dinosaurs on a big screen so here the time to watch them. I can't wait for this movie and i am really excited to watch this movie.

Jurassic park is one of Williams greatest. It did in the 90's what SW did in the late 70's. Introduce a lot of young people into john williams music and film scores in general.

And specially if we only talk about the main theme.

Its as recognizable as SW, Superman or raiders march.

Period.

I can't believe anyone in a far off corner of the world like Argentina would be unwilling to buy music online, because most of the best John Williams music in recent years has been released (re-released, more accurately, in expanded form) solely via internet labels, and rarely sold in brick and mortar stores in the 'States because the quantities are too low. And if not the States, then surely not Argentina. But I digress. Online purchases are scary at first, and it took me years to get comfortable.

~*~

The berries that poison the triceratops are not essential to the plot of the story because poison berries are not used later to kill or injure dinosaurs or people. True, Ellie had already pointed out while still in the visitor's center that there were plants on display that were highly poisonous, selected only because they looked appropriate for a prehistoric tropical environment, and the sick triceratops carries that point home. The dinosaur was ingesting food that its body was not prepared to digest, having missed each other by millions of years of evolution, and suddenly thrown back together into the food chain. Was this relevant to the story when violent carnivores start eating people? Unless the human flesh would make the raptors sick...no.

It's similar to when you go on vacation in a distant land, they tell you "don't drink the water" because you'll encounter microbes your body is not used to dealing with, and you'll get the runs for a week.

We're talking classic John Williams? You NEED Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman, Raiders, E.T., etc. Jurassic Park is hardly among the man's best work.

yes it is.

We're talking classic John Williams? You NEED Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman, Raiders, E.T., etc. Jurassic Park is hardly among the man's best work.

Jurassic Park costs $10 new at Amazon. If someone can't afford to add it to their collection, stop waiting for a handout and get a job.

The berries that poison the triceratops are not essential to the plot of the story because poison berries are not used later to kill or injure dinosaurs or people. True, Ellie had already pointed out while still in the visitor's center that there were plants on display that were highly poisonous, selected only because they looked appropriate for a prehistoric tropical environment, and the sick triceratops carries that point home. The dinosaur was ingesting food that its body was not prepared to digest, having missed each other by millions of years of evolution, and suddenly thrown back together into the food chain. Was this relevant to the story when violent carnivores start eating people? Unless the human flesh would make the raptors sick...no.

It's similar to when you go on vacation in a distant land, they tell you "don't drink the water" because you'll encounter microbes your body is not used to dealing with, and you'll get the runs for a week.

It deletes some scientific accuracy to the film. And it robs tim his great moment.

As a veterinarian, i suppose that i would have liked them to show the explanation more than the casual moviegoer.

It kills me more that the paleobotanist seems to know more about poisoning and sick animals than the Veterinarian :P

It goes like this: (the fact that Michael quoted is not very detailed).

The triceratops like most hervibore birds, needs to swallow stones to grind the vegetable material. These are gizzard stones and they have been found in some dinosaur fossils. These stones get rounded and soft after use, so they have to be expelled (either up or down) and the animal needs to take new ones. The film says the triceratops get sick every 6 weeks, that means that the triceratops need new stones each 6 weeks. The triceratops would take the lilac seeds when swallowing the stones.

So why does ellie not find lilac seed in the faeces? Because the triceratops faeces she analyses were from before getting sick the berries are inside the triceratops now (if the animal had defecated during its sickness the faeces would be near it since it is prostrated and cannot move, they may have found seeds in those), if they analised the faeces the day after the seeds would be there.

Tim's great moment, is that he recognises groups of stones from alan's book, and shows them to the adults, that at first they ignore him but when they listen to him they realise it and congratulate him.

Ellie has a stone in his hand in all scenes after the thunder explodes and gennaro urges them to leave the place.

Dont you notice how fast the sunny day becomes a stormy day? one shot sunny next shot windy and covered. Maybe the transition of time was in the deleted scene...

Ellie's statement about agressive plants mean that the prehistoric plants that they have cultivated are probably dangerous to people.

West indians lilacs are nowadays ornamental plants and nowadays animals get poisoned also, so it is not the evolution thing there. Probably the vegetal world created the poison millions of years ago in response to the herbivore animals so dinosaurs must have coped with a great deal of toxic plants, and probably many of them contained the same toxins as today.

Jurassic Park doesn't crack my top 10 John Williams, but it's somewhere up there. I just don't think it's among his greatest. I can't believe even Joey agrees it's on the level of Superman: The Movie or Temple of Doom. Maybe I should retire from JW.

Jurassic Park doesn't crack my top 10 John Williams, but it's somewhere up there. I just don't think it's among his greatest. I can't believe even Joey agrees it's on the level of Superman: The Movie or Temple of Doom. Maybe I should retire from JW.

it's a 5 star score among other 5 star scores. It has moments of sheer and utter joy and wonder that are irresistable.

It's definitely not in the league of either of those scores.

Well, it's just a bit odd you can't see the quality of Jurassic Park. What does make Temple od Doom so much better in your eyes than JP?

Temple of Doom is perfection. So is Superman. Beginning to end, not a dull moment. Even the JP soundtrack album has some tracks that I will skip, like the beginning of Eye to Eye.

Temple of Doom is perfection. So is Superman. Beginning to end, not a dull moment. Even the JP soundtrack album has some tracks that I will skip, like the beginning of Eye to Eye.

I am not arguing about those two scores, but Jurassic Park is just phenomenal and I love Lost World too.

i think the problem to some people is that it is not a two hour wall to wall score, and has some subdued moments.

also, the OST left out some action material and repeates itself much in its assembly.

but it is a great score.

I have always been frustrated that the album repeats what is either simply an edit or a slightly and I mean SLIGHTLY different performance of the "Welcome to Jurassic Park" cue (I've heard arguments for both although to me it really just sounds exactly the same). I don't understand why he would do this when the full end credits are already there and oddly in the center of the album. Had he ever put end credits in the middle of an album like that before or since? Has anyone?! Lol.

I just always felt it was a waste of space on the CD that really could have instead featured an unreleased cue or two, like "History Lesson" and "T-Rex Jeep Chase". If those two tracks, which hardly take up much more time than that overall,would have been there instead, the score would have far more interest and variety IMO , and possibly not even be much desired for expansion for the rest of it's tracks.

I really hope Decca surprises us...

Yes, the SpaceCamp end credits are in the middle of the album.

And on the 1CD version of the original Empire Strikes Back OST, they accidentally swapped sides 1 and 2 of the LP, so the end credits are in the middle there as well. But that's not JW's fault.

Jurassic Park costs $10 new at Amazon. If someone can't afford to add it to their collection, stop waiting for a handout and get a job.

As I said in the Blu Ray thread, I just picked up the super duper DVD box with both OST special editions for 20$

I guess this is a better thread to post it in

I almost feel like tossing away my dinorama Lost World OST, the shittiest c.d package EVER for a score release

Even the JP soundtrack album has some tracks that I will skip, like the beginning of Eye to Eye.

Would you omit cues like "Remembering Petticoat Lane", "Hatching Baby Raptor" and "A Tree for My Bed" in favor of more wall-to-wall stuff like "High-Wire Stunts" and "T-Rex Rescue and Finale"? Those beautifully offset the relentless action and suspense cues.

I'll admit that the cue "Goat Bait" (the beginning of the track "Eye to Eye") is rather dull, and removing it from the film was a wise choice. Aside from that, though, I honestly find all the content on the album to be fantastic.

An interesting observation a fan made on the JPL forum of the differences between the trailer for the 3D version VS the BluRay based on picture quality. If this trailer is believed to be representative of what the image will look like (minus the 3D itself... duh, lol), then it seems like perhaps they have either used a different source for this version or one that has a different color scheme that some are saying is more true to the way it looked originally in theaters. It also appears to not be cropped like the BluRay was. I checked the trailer for the BluRay itself to see if it's images were true to how the BluRay ended up, and it seemed like it was. So this could be how we will see it, and how we will hopefully get it on video later on. It seems less detailed, but I am super glad we don't get a cropped image for this, and I do prefer this color scheme, honestly. It seems like the grain really has been taken away from the 3D version, perhaps a bit too much DNR? I knew it would have to be less grainy in order for the 3D to work right. All the grain the BluRay transfer had would have been just too much.

(Used "spoiler" to not let the big images clog up slower connections. Top is BluRay, bottom is 3D Trailer, with lines to mark cropping.)

jpbluraycroped007.jpg

jpbluraycroped006.jpg

jpbluraycroped005.jpg

jpbluraycroped004.jpg

jpbluraycroped003.jpg

jpbluraycroped.jpg

jpbluraycroped002.jpg

Btw, speaking of JP 3D coming to video, I guess it inevitably will sometime this year, one would think? There is already a listing for it on Amazon, if that really even matters.

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B008JFUT5E

I agree. :)

Oh, and I think we now know the answer whether if we will be getting a special edition soundtrack or not. Available on the 19th of this month from Geffen records is an MP3 album available on Amazon of the OST. The CD edition just links so far to the one we all know and love/hate. So, nothing to get excited about at all, apparently. Not even a CD edition with a new cover. :(

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B00A44111O