Those of you who saw Empire Strikes Back in theaters after you saw Stars Wars in theaters...

BLUMENKOHL

People speculating about Bloodboal's age in this thread makes me laugh. Anybody who thought he was in his early twenties obviously hasn't been paying much attention to his posts

People speculating about Bloodboal's age in this thread makes me laugh. Anybody who thought he was in his early twenties obviously hasn't been paying much attention to his posts

Well, he posts a lot, so sometimes it's difficult to pay attention to *everything* he says...

I still find hilarious to think that K.K. is the age of my sister. It doesn't add up. Brilliant.

What I find hilarious is that he could be dating your sister... He could even end up being your brother-in-law! Now, THAT would be hilarious!

Maybe something can be arranged!

The world has moved for Bloodbait, he's the last Messenger in his eternal quest for The Dark Score...

This!

The One Score to Rule Them All?

I still find hilarious to think that K.K. is the age of my sister. It doesn't add up. Brilliant.

What I find hilarious is that he could be dating your sister... He could even end up being your brother-in-law! Now, THAT would be hilarious!

I don't think you Spaniards can last in the Great North!

Describe the moment between the theater lights dimming and the fanfare blast for you.

I saw ESB and ROTJ in the cinema, but can't remember enough to describe that particular moment. Sorry.

I was 8-ish at the time when RotK came out in 2003.

Damn, that makes me feel like Gandalf the Grey.

That was... useful. A Youtube video would have been more appreciated, Mel...

Agreed. I could have chosen the - "I can't remember what my parents look like" moment from Empire of the Sun.........

But that little snippet isn't on YouTube.

I was 8-ish at the time when RotK came out in 2003.

Damn, that makes me feel like Gandalf the Grey.

Yes, I seem to have acquired a talent of making people feel old of late...

And better him than Gandalf the White ;)

sadly 3 years later Return of the Jedi disappointed. Oh sure it's not bad, it's okay, but ESB deserved a better ending.

I would formulate it differently: The trilogy deserved a better third film.

I saw TESB in theaters. I was one of the many people truly anticipating it. I don't remember my reaction to the music but I was deeply satisfied with how the sequel turned out. At the time I thought it was just as good as the first film. It was quite a pleasant surprise because I expected a Beneath The Planet Of The Apes or a The Exorcist 2. I thought Star Wars was going to be one of those one time deals.

Alex

that's what I said in a round about way. The ending of ESB is ROTJ. I don't think it's a terrible film, for terrible see AOTC or ROTS. But yes the original triloogy deserved a better ending.

The world has moved for Bloodbait, he's the last Messenger in his eternal quest for The Dark Score...

This!

The One Score to Rule Them All?

I don't think you Spaniards can last in the Great North!

But maybe you can last in the Great South!

Was that meant to be innuendo, BB?

If so, it's brilliant!

Karelm, thank you so much for your story! It was a pleasure to read.

In this day and age, a cinematic experience like that is simply not possible.

I vividly remember the Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back premieres even though I was very young. As soon as I realized there would be a sequel to Star Wars, I (and all my friends) were so excited. It was the talk of the playground and it felt like the day of ESB premiere would never arrive. As the date approached, there were more teasers and even a few re-releases of Star Wars just to wet our appetites. There were trading cards of Star Wars that would eventually “leak” an ESB card. It totally blew our minds to see those new planets and enemies. I couldn’t have imagined how the characters would survive such new adventures and this completely stirred our imaginations. The day of the premiere finally arrived. I had to wait a few days to see it (which felt like FOREVER!!) and some of my brothers friends had seen it before I. They wouldn’t give any specific details other than to say how great it was and that it definitely felt like it needed a sequel unlike Star Wars. The weekend finally arrived and my entire family went to the Playhouse 4 theater to see it. I was shocked to see a line that wrapped around the theater. I had never seen that before. In line, the only thing anyone could talk about was various theories of the film. It was completely sold out and our seats were quite close to the screen. I recall the anticipatory excitement and how long it felt to be let in. Everyone coming out of the previous screening looked so "enlightened". The feeling of anticipation was so intense. Everyone was excited and at the moment of the “A Long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…” there was absolute total silence. Then the B flat blast hit us and the audience and I erupted with unstoppable excitement! This moment had FINALLY arrived!! The closest I could describe the feeling was how a child feels about summer break on the first day of school. It would never arrive but as it gets close your whole being is focused on that approaching date. I vividly remember the range of emotions at the start. From wonder, to fear, to hope, to excitement, etc. I had waited 1/3 of my life for this and immediately felt so relieved to see the old characters I had obsessed about since Star Wars. I remember being completely absorbed in the story and the character’s plight almost immediately. I first though Yoda sounded a lot like fozzy bear. But seconds later completely forgot about it being a puppet. The action was so exciting and intense. Especially memorable was the asteroid belt and the Hoth battles which my friends and I replayed countless times on the playground. Sometimes I played Luke, sometimes Han, sometimes a villian, sometimes a nobody, but we went through it so, so much exploring the story through every permutation. The sense of dread when Luke finally confronts his nemesis, Vader, was inescapable. Everyone was absolutely glued to the film recalling the shocking end of Ben Kenobi when he confronted Vader. Vader was a very formidable adversary. I remember a lot of people laughing at the jokes like “laugh it up fuzz ball” and the various admirals getting killed by vader. The utter despair towards the end was inescapable and we gasped at learning that vader was luke’s father. No one believed it and afterwards we had to debate it impact and truthfulness of this revelation. It was utterly shocking. The ending was disappointing only in that we MUST know the answer to the open questions. Was Vader really Luke’s father? Why did Obi wan lie? Will Han survive? What will happen to our hero’s next? I also remember being blown away by the score. It was so much better than I expected and I expected a great score. This was a very real memory of just how perfect the music was in every way. I probably saw the film another 8 or 9 times only to reexperience the score. The music at Han's death scene was so emotional and the ending so tragic. I was only 9 years old but clearly remember not being able to get the ideas, characters, and most importantly the music out of my mind. It exceeded my expectation in every way. My playground friends and I could not stop talking about the film and I’m sure I saw it at least ten times.

Thanks for the question and this brief trip down memory lane. Those were good days and I’ll never forget it.

This is why I made this thread. I feel like a kid in 1980 now. (I was actually a baby then).

Karelm, thank you so much for your story! It was a pleasure to read.

In this day and age, a cinematic experience like that is simply not possible.

I do have to wonder - is there any movie that had such an anticipation and impact on its release as this or was it just my age at the time of seeing it? I wondered if 8-9 year olds watching the second trilogy felt like this but I doubt it because the novelty and film quality is just not the same. Perhaps this is what it was like to experience the original Wizard of Oz but I think there are very, very few films that had this impact on its initial audience. One other thing I forgot to mention was how time stood still during the film. No sense of elapsed time it was just so entertaining and engrossing when you just didn't know what was next and how this furthers the story. The subtle touches still hit me. The scene where Han says good bye to Luke - I remember being very moved as a strange young boy.

Star Wars was unlike anything before. NOT in it's overall packaging. and a blockbuster today is hardly in the same universe as a blockbuster in the 70's, which is basically a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

If you had the LP before the film opened, you would have had a clue...

I did, and I did.

I saw a preview of TESB in January, 1980, and was completely blow away by it, so my expectations were high. Then I read a review by John Brosnan - he used to write for Starburst magazine - who said that it was disapointing (and this coming from the man who said that "Superman II" was better than "ROTLA"! Honestly, I ask you...).

I liked the film in 1980, but I fell in love with it when I saw the double-bill in London in 1982. W.O.W!

I would say Return of the Jedi was the most anticipated film of all. We really had to wait three full years for it while Empire wasn't announced until a few months after Star Wars was released and we were still basking in the total surprise that it had been. Seeing it again and again... I saw it seven times in its first year!

Empire blew us all away and set the bar so high. Star Wars wasn't just a one off after all, it was going to be a high quality saga. Had the second film been a bad film, we would have moved on, successful sequels or not. With Empire, some of us were hooked for life.

The next couple of years of waiting were very long indeed. Thank God Raiders, E.T. and quite a few other great films helped.

To answer a few questions from the original post, it was a given that the opening fanfare would be the same after the release of the LP. Also Time Magazine had published a picture of the opening crawl so there was no surprise there either (except for the incredible mention of it being in fact Episode V...). Incidently, early storyboards show that for a while Lucas toyed with the idea of opening the film on a white snowy background rather than a star field.

I, too, read the ESB novelization but had the will to stop half-way so as not to spoil it. In the end a stupid french magazine published a photo of Luke and Vader dueling and the caption casually said: 'During this fight Luke finds out Darth Vader is his father'...! I was taken aback and not sure I should believe it but writing that was a very stupid thing to do. The article was unsigned and to this day I hold a grudge! :>) And I still hesitate to mention that Vader is Luke's father in public! I wouldn't want to be the one spoiling it for someone...

Upon seeing Empire the first time, I distinctly remember being completely surprised by the sound made by the imperial probe at the beginning of the film when it flies to Hoth and how the sound seemed to travel from one area to the other. That was so new to me. And it was a perfect way to transport me to another galaxy. The feeling of total other worldliness that was so strong with Star Wars was working again from the very first scene. Wow! The rest was just two short hours of walking on clouds. And the next three years an exercise in patience... Obviously, the big cliffhanger didn't help.

In the end return of the Jedi was a big let-down. It had enough to keep me interested but a lot of things were wrong with it. It was not in the same spirit of quality and intelligence that the previous two had been. It felt it needed a Special Edition of some kind, like Close Encounters (except CE3K didn't really need one). Jedi felt like it was an accident. We put our hopes in the prequels but they took forever and, obviously, that is another story!

Waiting all these years for ROTJ, I once had a dream in where I finally saw it. I was sitting in the theater and the feeling of anticipation was going through the roof. But ... what was that on the screen? It wasn't your typical Star Wars science fiction vistas that we knew and loved from the previous films. No sir, I saw Luke Skywalker stepping out of a normal car in the middle of Manhattan. I felt betrayed. I felt sick. The third film was garbage. As it turned out, my dream was quite prophetic.

Alex

Cool . . . I get to be in the rather exclusive 8-Year-Old TESB Theater Participant club. So let me take you back to what was, for me, a formative experience:

Star Wars was, of course, the predominant event of my youth, as was the case for so many of us back then. It opened, then it reopened, then they'd replay it every year or so until Empire came out. In those days, the one announcement from an adult that could send you into the most delirious state of joy was, "We're going to see Star Wars!" It was the stuff of birthday surprises and magical summer afternoons when—for once—you'd rather be sitting indoors instead of playing outdoors. (That in itself tells you how long ago this was. . . . :rolleyes:)

Then came word that another Star Wars movie was on the way. You have to understand something: for kids our age, there was no such thing as a sequel back then. The James Bond films weren't sequels; they were each a stand-alone movie that took place as part of a series. That was different. Jaws 2 came out a year after Star Wars, yes, but Jaws was the first-ever summer blockbuster, and therefore the first to warrant true sequalization—and we were too young to have seen the first anyway, and so took no note of the second when it came along. For us, Empire was the first, incredibly novel iteration of what has long since become a tired Hollywood ploy to score a few extra bucks.

We were beside ourselves. The toys that occasionally got a break from our constant attentions came out and were put through their rigors again. I had a friend—who later came to own that Bespin playset following Empire's release—who had the full-sized, 4-level Death Star playset, complete with extending walkways and foam "debris" for the garbage compactor. By our reckonings and retellings, the characters didn't spend mere hours trapped in the Imperial space station; they were there for days and weeks on end. Fortune had further smiled on me in that the main "jungle gym" on my elementary school playground—still made of wooden beams in those days—was a perfect "set" for the Death star sequences. It had walkways placed on various levels that served as the corridors where, just after lunch each day, we held whole platoons of stormtroopers at bay . . . and when their numbers became too overwhelming, we'd vault down through a gap from the top level into the center section of the setup, which was entirely lined bottom-and-sides with tires bolted together. (Guess what that area represented?) Eventually we'd escape the closing walls and make our way out to an extended platform at ground level: the landing bay. We'd hop onto the Falcon and make good our escape—only our Ben Kenobi always proved incompetent, and dammit if the tractor beam didn't catch us and pull us back in every time. . . .

[incidentally, it's worth noting that even as I had the liquid/electric sound of blaster fire coming out one side of my mouth during these epic battles, you could hear the Rebel Theme from the movie coming out the other side. For me, music was every bit as much a part of the totality of that world—even at that age—as the visual and sound effects were. And that didn't just apply to Star Wars. On the days when the Death Star's landing deck doubled as the Galactica's launch bay, and we dashed out into the wider field of grass with our arms spread low in representation of our own Colonial Vipers, I was blasting out Stu Phillips just as fervently. Film scoring was engraving itself into my psyche long before I was even consciously aware of it.]

We didn't just watch Star Wars. It lit up our imaginations, and we lived it, over and over and over again. And suddenly we were faced with the thrilling prospect of new material to draw from! Speculation of the unknown, particularly when you have limited resources from which to glean images and situations (less than 2 hours' worth, in this case), is a difficult task for a 2nd-grader. Will it look the same? Will it be the same? Will it just be more of the same? (That's not to say we wouldn't have been completely satisifed if that were the result. Give us 10 hours more of the same. We're in.) We wracked our brains for weeks even as we did due playtime diligence to the part of the mythology we already knew so well.

So the day finally arrived, a Saturday afternoon in early June, maybe the second or third week of the film's release. We drove over to the Continental Theater, at that time the largest screen in Denver (this was long before the days of IMAX, though the Continental did pretty well on its own terms). We waited in the long line as well—something any kid hates to do, and yet that day it wasn't that big a deal. Somehow it seemed appropriate to the occasion. It was those last moments, after we finally trundled in but before the movie started, that were the most interminable. I don't think that's a sensation that much affects kids these days either: the staggering awe of that gigantic, blank screen, the infinite potential it represented, being acutely aware of the paradox that others had witnessed something filling that vast emptiness that I hadn't yet. What was future for me was past for them, but would soon be past for me as well. . . . I dunno. It's a hard feeling to describe.

Then the space went blacker, filled first with blue letters, then exploded into the granduer of stars, music, and the best two words any child of our era had ever seen. What followed was a completely new experience for me: something that was, in fact, more of the same, and yet irrevocably different. For the first time the cinematic page turned, and I was all at once surprised, delighted, and deeply shaken as I endured the process of expanding an entire universe in my own head. There were thrills to be had, but some uneasiness as well. The Rebels lost at Hoth. (Huh?) Luke spent a good portion of the story in a dreary, sodden place learning hard truths. I also dealt with another element for the first time: real, and unresolved, conflict. That wasn't so easy. Up to that point, the characters in all the movies I'd watched had difficult problems to deal with, but they always worked them out in the end. I mean, that's the point of a movie, right? But to see a main character lose his hand (it was a grisly thing at 8 years of age to see Luke's arm socketed into that medical device on the Falcon), discover a harrowing secret about himself, nearly fall to his death (twice, in a way), and wind up beaten and downtrodden with no immediate recourse . . . and, on top of all that, to see Boba Fett escape with Han . . . and then to watch the Falcon zip away from the fleet, not knowing where it was headed . . . and then to see the blue lettering return and realize the movie was over without these overwhelming issues being settled . . . it was all a little too much for me.

I vividly recall the depression I felt that afternoon. I even remember exactly what my dad made for dinner (ham fried rice) and not wanting to eat much of it. I really struggled with this thing for a while. I did find some placation later in returning to the glorious action sequences of the movie, and it was enormously fulfilling to have our playground Death Star upgraded to Bespin status for a time. (For several months out of the year, we even had Hoth laid out for us every couple of weeks or so—simplest and cheapest play setting ever.) But it took some time to wrap my head around the concept of an entire film that was really only a chapter in a bigger story. It did provide some promise—no way they would end things on that note, so we were assured of at least one more Star Wars installment. And, even better, over time it taught me what has probably been the most important lesson I've learned about dramatic storytelling: that it shouldn't always be escapist entertainment. That there's a time for the happy ending, but there's also a time to leave the audience hanging, a day to let the bad guys win (if only to give the good guys the greater victory in the long run), and occasionally good reasons for not tying up every last thread. I've always place immeasurable value on that lesson, tough though it was to learn at the time. Ultimately, I'm glad it came when it did. I've grown up since with a much deeper understanding of, and respect for, storytelling, mythology, and dramatic theory.

Of course, I loved Jedi when it came out, in part because it finally resolved all those storylines (in a very satisfactory manner, too), and in part because I was only eleven at that point and wasn't as concerned with the elements of the story that I would come to realize later were severely lacking. It's now nearly impossible to imagine my childhood without the influence of those three films. For all of George Lucas's shortcomings as a storyteller—and he's replete with them—he gave so many of us a gift that can never be taken away from us. For that, he deserves all the credit in the world.

- Uni

I was going to respond to this thread about Empire and my expierience seeing it in the theater but after reading through the last two pages, whats the point? I don't get the tangents this board goes off on. Fuck this forum! :)

No. Please. Don't go. We'd hate to lose everything uplifting and enlightening you've brought to this forum during your heady 4-post legacy. :sarcasm:

- Uni

I was going to respond to this thread about Empire and my expierience seeing it in the theater but after reading through the last two pages, whats the point? I don't get the tangents this board goes off on. Fuck this forum! :)

No. Please. Don't go. We'd hate to lose everything uplifting and enlightening you've brought to this forum during your heady 4-post legacy. :sarcasm:

- Uni

I read this with Gene Wilder's Wonka in my head :lol:

How great is Marvel's Empire comic adaptation? I collected these issues when I was a kid from comic book stores. When it comes to comic art, Al Williamson is God. Is Empire his greatest work? Possibly. Even with the comic's dialogue from the early script that would have made the film seriously suck (see: the prequels), it somehow works in the Marvel version.

I have to ask, though. For those of you in the UK, what the **** is this:

2c106a12-e21a-4ad6-a061-41d40009de12.jpg

A more important question. How the hell did any of you guys in that era survive without owning this:

micro-bespinworld-front.jpg

I still have mine! I love this topic- I'm a kid again!

How great is Marvel's Empire comic adaptation? I collected these issues when I was a kid from comic book stores. When it comes to comic art, Al Williamson is God. Is Empire his greatest work? Possibly. Even with the comic's dialogue from the early script that would have made the film seriously suck (see: the prequels), it somehow works in the Marvel version.

I have to ask, though. For those of you in the UK, what the **** is this:

2c106a12-e21a-4ad6-a061-41d40009de12.jpg

It appears giant space genies are impervious to Imperial attack. The Rebels must find the lamp! Who's gotta Death Star now, bitch?

This scene will be included in ESB Extra-Special-Ultimate edition after Kathy Kennedy fjucks up Ep. 7-9.

Fucking brilliant!

I read this with Gene Wilder's Wonka in my head :lol:

Getting both a nod from the Cos Man and a comparison to Wilder's Wonka after dropping a sarcastic comment . . . wow. Unbelievable. That's like John Williams telling you you're his favorite new composer. I think I'm blushing. . . .

- Uni

Describe the moment between the theater lights dimming and the fanfare blast for you.

What was going through your head?

I can't imagine what it must have been like.

I try to think about what I would be thinking in that moment. Honestly I would probably wonder if the music for the titles would be different. If there would be a title crawl. If the text color would be different for that crawl. If the text might crawl right to left?

I mean...at that point, it could have gone in any direction.

I understand why you are asking these questions. However, if you had asked an audience-goer these questions he/she would have probably been confused. Very few people would have seen Star Wars more than a few times. And of those few viewings most people would have remembered the plot details and the heroics of Luke, that sort of thing. Maybe they would remember the scroll or the "A long time ago..." but those would have been minor details.

During your ESB viewing, when you saw the Lucasfilm logo, the Fox Fanfare, and the scroll, and the opening music, you were not thinking "what woul the titles look like?" etc. Maybe a handful of nerds would have been concerned with that sort of thing. Most people were excited about snow and Luke Skywalker flying this weird looking space ship. Or whatever they remembered from the trailer.

The point is -- and this is actually very important from a historical perspective -- when the titles, fanfare, and scroll came, you were thinking "OH, WOW, I REMEMBER THAT!! COOL, THEY ARE STARTING IT THE SAME WAY AS STAR WARS!"

You have to remember that few people had VCRs at the time. And there were only a few TV channels. Each of your few viewings of Star Wars were a novelty. There was nothing like it. So when ESB came out, you really had no idea what to expect. There was no prescribed formula for how to make a sequel.

This is George Lucas' genius. With ESB, he set a new standard for what a sequel should be (I am not sure there even was a standard at that point).

And since then, George Lucas has gone on to set a standard for what a prequel should be. I wish this accomplishment was recognized more often. The magic you felt when the Lars homestead was visited in AOTC and when Hayden put on the Vader mask has become a new standard for prequels. You saw it in the recent Batman movie where Robin enters the Batcave and again with the Hobbit.

At any rate, my point is that your questions are more pertinent now than they were back then. No one cared. They were too busy excited to see the new Star Wars movie.

And since then, George Lucas has gone on to set a standard for what a prequel should be. I wish this accomplishment was recognized more often. The magic you felt when the Lars homestead was visited in AOTC and when Hayden put on the Vader mask has become a new standard for prequels. You saw it in the recent Batman movie where Robin enters the Batcave and again with the Hobbit.

Yeah, he established the standard, all right. Pretty much just set the bar on the ground, really. Anyone can step over it at this point.

However, I wouldn't call referencing characters and setpieces from the original source "setting a standard" for prequels. It's been done in literature for years—centuries, really—and it just makes sense. Anyone else would do the same, just for fun if nothing else. (If ROTJ had been made first, for instance, and we saw Luke at his Jedi Master's deathbed, then they later went back and made Empire as a prequel, then it only follows that they'd show him training on Dagobah. That's nothing innovative. That's just telling the story.)

So no, I didn't feel any "magic" when they went back to the Lars farm in AOTC. They had to wind up on Tatooine at some point, to explain how Luke got there. And as for the moment Vader gets his mask . . . at that point, after enduring nearly the entire trilogy, I was definitely feeling something . . . but it wasn't "magical."

Having said (all) that, the rest of your point is well taken. Like I said in my own post, this was one of the first real "sequels" ever, so no one knew what to expect from it.

- Uni

*Finally reached 800 posts (ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!). Can't believe I spent it talking about the prequels again. . . .

*Finally reached 800 posts (ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!). Can't believe I spent it talking about the prequels again. . . .

ROTFLMAO