Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

That's acting like "I must react to everything that is going on around me with my whole face." 

I used to act like that. I always wanted to be Harrison Ford but somehow I took all of my acting lessons from Mark Hamill. 

I'm inclined to agree with @Jurassic Shark, on this one. Hamill's reaction to Ford's line, suggests that he doesn't break character.

Although I will say that @Chen G. has a point. At that time, they were about to be speared to death by teddy bears.

Not really a laughing matter.

ok i can totally see how that would look like breaking character....but something to remember here:

Han was giving C3PO shit all through ESB, Luke probably loves that he's finally standing up for himself. 

So maybe the character is supposed to be getting a kick out of his reaction.

Although would Luke even know this? Hmm....

But my gut feels like it's breaking character....idk...

14 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

But my gut feels like it's breaking character....idk...

Ah, so its not just me!

I think the guage of acting should be how it "hits" us instinctivelly. Anything else is post hoc rationalisation. It comes across to me as breaking character.

Just now, Andy said:

I say not breaking character. Luke smiling was to suggest that he was the one who knew exactly how non-threatening the Ewoks were and that if it came down to it, he could use his powers on them and get everyone out.  The direction and smile are appropriate to suggest Luke was still in control and was enjoying watching his pals react.  It also is a nod to the audience to let us also know it’s all in good fun and Luke has the wisdom and Jedi maturity to let it play out a bit. 

yeah Luke is basically 'at peace' at this point in the film with how everything is going to play out....right?

The first interaction Luke, Han, Chewie and the droids have with the Ewoks always cracks me up. Personally, I believe this is Mark silently reacting to Harrison interacting with Daniels, so I wouldn’t say he’s breaking character but I don’t think this was scripted for him to do. I think this was him genuinely reacting to the predicament they’re in and the fact that these little teddy bears are bowing down to 3PO and Solo isn’t having any of it. It’s like the moments in Seinfeld where the cast almost break’s character because of Kramer being a goofball.

actually wait....

Mark Hamill putting his hand up to his mouth actually might be a sign he's breaking character and trying to hide the laugh

Also Ford's delivery of the word 'proper' is hilarious. :lol:

35 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Also Ford's delivery of the word 'proper' is hilarious. :lol:

“Why you!”

Ewok chatter 

“My mistake…he’s an old friend of mind”ROTFLMAO

Its goofy and I love it

By all accounts Ford was especially high on that shoot. And again, I would only describe Hamil's reacting to the conversation as "mugging". Totally in character, just about 10x overdone.

As I get older it amazes me how little Leia has to do in this movie. It's almost depressing. For one thing I realized that she has, what? ONE line after she's captured by Jabba? Although I will admit that on my most recent re-watch on the big screen there is a lot going on between her and Luke non-verbally that can be taken as "Everything still going to plan?" "Yup!" But it's still a disservice to a famously mouthy character, no matter what you think of the outfit.

58 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Mark Hamill putting his hand up to his mouth actually might be a sign he's breaking character and trying to hide the laugh

That's what I would say, certainly.

2 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

By all accounts Ford was especially high on that shoot. And again, I would only describe Hamil's reacting to the conversation as "mugging". Totally in character, just about 10x overdone.

As I get older it amazes me how little Leia has to do in this movie. It's almost depressing. For one thing I realized that she has, what? ONE line after she's captured by Jabba? Although I will admit that on my most recent re-watch on the big screen there is a lot going on between her and Luke non-verbally that can be taken as "Everything still going to plan?" "Yup!" But it's still a disservice to a famously mouthy character, no matter what you think of the outfit.

She's evolved and is now more mature and thoughtful.

She's also just been Jabba's prisoner and probably has PTSD.

33 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

She's evolved and is now more mature and thoughtful.

For what its worth, Fisher herself always felt Leia was lacking in things to do in ALL the films.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Over the years, RETURN OF THE JEDI has become my favourite Star Wars film. Make of that what you will.

it SOMETIMES surpasses ESB for me as number 1, depending on my mood.  RotJ is one of my favorite films to watch in the fall.

Let us celebrate!

Another acting moment I find could have been handled better: I'm sure lots of people found these guys picking on Luke to be a little random. Not until going through drafts of the script did I realise something the acting was obviously intended to communicate but failed to do, which is that they're supposed to drunk:

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

image.jpeg

How is it "gaping" when it took an entire rebel squadron and even then they couldn't manage to hit it? It took a wannabe space wizard to do anything about it.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I'm sure lots of people found these guys picking on Luke to be a little random.

Not random at all. "Only watch your step. This place can be a little rough." It's a wretched hive of scum and villainy!

The Will Rogers Picture Pioneers Foundation is holding a screening of Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back on Aug. 30, 7PM at the TCL Chinese Theatre in Hollywood to raise funds for its charity.

The non-profit provides support to a multitude of national health and social service programs, as well as financial assistance to members of the motion picture community in times of need. A special appearance will be made by the 501st Legion, an international costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans that are committed to supporting communities, moviegoers and charitable causes nationwide.

https://deadline.com/2023/08/star-wars-empire-strikes-back-will-rogers-foundation-1235458366/

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I know the 501st does a lot of good but they're known for dressing up as Space Nazis. There are literally only two uses of the word "stormtrooper". Star Wars and those other guys.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

34 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I know the 501st does a lot of good but they're known for dressing up as Space Nazis. There are literally only two uses of the word "stormtrooper". Star Wars and those other guys.

In canon 501st started out as clone troopers.

45 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

If they are a charity foundation who do a lot of voluntary work, why did they name themselves after space fascists? They should've chosen a more upbeat name, like The Jedi Knights or something.

13 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

If they are a charity foundation who do a lot of voluntary work, why did they name themselves after space fascists? They should've chosen a more upbeat name, like The Jedi Knights or something.

Possibly because they are a 501(c)(7) non-profit organization

13 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Also because they started out as Stormtrooper cosplayers:

In 1997, Albin Johnson set up a GeoCities website called "Detention Block 2551" as a place to post photos of himself and his friend Tom Crews in their homemade Stormtrooper costumes. Arnie DeHerrera started "Stormtrooperland" at the same time in 1997 and started email conversation with Johnson and Crews. Shortly after that, Scott McArthur of Canada became involved and developed the original logo with the words, "The Fighting 501st!" as its catch phrase with a stormtrooper helmet with red eyes in front of a purple Imperial logo. This evolved quickly into the current red, black, and white logo with the phrase, "Vader's Fist" to express the force with which the 501st led.

9 hours ago, Andy said:

I’m a ‘retired’ member of the 501st. 

Some of the comments are reading waaay too much into ideas of fascism. 

Most members are just geeks who want to build their own costumes and wear them to conventions and public events. The charity part is nice, but for most isn’t the main reason they join.   The simple fact is the bad guys had the coolest costumes. 

There’s some nice camaraderie to be had with fellow nerds sweating off pounds under armor and leather.  It does feel good to make a kid’s day or do something nice for the community or raise some coin for charity. 

If the nomenclature bothers anyone, we usually just say we’re “bad guys doing good”. Simple as that. 

There is also a sister costuming group for good guy characters, The Rebel Legion.

I have “trooped” as both Darth Vader and a Stormtrooper.  

Apologies. I know I take it far too seriously. And probably stupidly.

Since I'm 6'6" I'm sure the only reason I haven't played Vader is $$$.

It didn't help that when my kids were little (pre-Disney) the only Star Wars stuff you could get was Darth and Stormtroopers (because they were the ones you didn't have to pay anything for likenesses, I guess, and C-3PO wasn't cool?). It was funny, the first time in my kids' lifetime when they were selling Luke, Han, and Leia stuff was freaking Angry Birds Star Wars!

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I still want to know why it took 20 years to build the first one, and only 6 years to build the second one.

Look how long it took to build two atom bombs and how long it was before the third, fourth, and fiftieth.

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Look how long it took to build two atom bombs and how long it was before the third, fourth, and fiftieth.

If it took them only three years to build #2, why didn't the Empire build a load of them, so there'd be a whole bunch of Death Stars floating around the universe?

They really didn't think it through.

24 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

That's really awesome.

I don't know my costumes as well as the RPF crowd, but that Vader looks very Star Wars (as opposed to Empire or Jedi).

You nailed it!

9 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If it took them only three years to build #2, why didn't the Empire build a load of them, so there'd be a whole bunch of Death Stars floating around the universe?

They really didn't think it through.

How do you know they weren't building #2 around the same time as #1?

I never really knew the difference (other than Star Wars was the least shiny). But doing a dab of research I now see that Rebels also went more for this look (as well as McQuarrie, of course) than the other films.

It just looks so much more medieval.

That’s a good word for it. The undercloak worn over the shoulder armor really brings out the knight look.  Vader’s ANH helmet also has a sharp “widow’s peak” which along with the amber lenses makes him look more evil.  No electronics in the chestplate make it a little simpler. 

4 hours ago, Andy said:

Oh no worries.  It's funny, reflecting back, there were some jerks who took the role of trooper a little too seriously with the "Move along!" when conventions made the mistake of employing them for crowd control.  But that was age ago, and I think that's heavily frowned upon now.

It was fun while I was younger, but as it began to take away from time with my family, I sort of retired from it.  But it's fun to haul the costumes out on Halloween. 

Probably the best experience was Weird Al used us on stage when he toured and performed "The Saga Begins", so I got to appear with Al twice.  

IMG_1244 copy.jpgIMG_9311.jpgIMG_4694 copy.JPGIMG_4693 copy.JPG

You're a fast beard grower!