Best Music Score Oscar Nominations 2014!

filmmusic

The right thing is for the Oscar to go to the BEST score (whichever it is from the 5) at this moment, and not to serve as a consolation prize, or as a reward for a long-term career.

File your concerns HERE.

I think Avatar was a better score than Up.

But the years best score was Agora (yes, I know. It was nominated, so it doesn't count, but still).

It's not a matter of who is a true fan and who isn't, Mark. I cannot determine anything. It's the same old, same old story, every year at this time of the season. And it's amusing that there are always people trying to teach others the right way. It could be fun, but for me it's now nauseating--a sign that probably I spent too much of my time here over the years! ;)

Of course Williams already won a lot of awards and he doesn't need more overall and other fellows need instead some deserved recognition. But I don't go against anyone who would like to see JW winning a sixth, seventh, eigth, hundredth time, labeling them "composer's bitch", here on a John Williams fan message board, as if anyone of us has some kind of superior moral authority or upper aesthetic critical sense than the others.

Williams is the first who doesn't give these things more importance than they deserve. It's an award show. Someone wins, others lose. Some will be happy, others will be disappointed. All will do parties and get happy in the end, because, hey, we're Hollywood, the best place in the world, who could ask for anything more? PR machines are already working for the next show. See you next year!

you should still tone down the cynicism sometimes

Especially you should really watch the complaining.

You likely come out harsher than you'd like to, then.

Maybe so, on the other hand this board tends to have quite a harsh tone from time to time. Though if you feel deeply offended by being labelled a Williams bitch, i wholeheartedly apologize!

pub and KM share one thing in common though: I find them equal in the readability stakes. Hit 'n miss. Sometimes easily skippable, other times surprisingly quite precise and bang on the mark. Nowadays I'm more likely to read a longer post by pub all the way to the end than I used to. KM I can flick over with my peripheral vision, because he always has the same angle.

You likely come out harsher than you'd like to, then.

Maybe so, on the other hand this board tends to have quite a harsh tone from time to time. Though if you feel deeply offended by being labelled a Williams bitch, i wholeheartedly apologize!

Everything's alright, no need to apology!

LOL

Maybe I'm too cautious when I write here, but since I have to express myself as clear as possible in a language that it's not my own native one, I prefer to be as clean as possible and avoid any form of sarcasm or two-way kind of vernacular form. But, hey, I don't think everyone should do the same! This also means I miss most of the fun on this board :)

you should still tone down the cynicism sometimes

We'll tone down the cynicism when you stop insisting that no one can write better music than Williams.

And what's this 'true JW Fan' nonsense anyway? There is no composer I would always root for, if the score were unremarkable enough.

I cannot believe you seriously would give Williams (who already has a cupboard full of those things) another Oscar for something like, ahem, BOOK THIEF instead of awarding Thomas Newman whose score is as inconsequential as Williams' but is in serious need of some love from this industry.

THIS!

I don't see what separates Newman from all the other composers who don't have any Oscar yet. Before you give one to Price or Newman or Williams (again), give one to Danny freaking Elfman.

Bruce Broughton's nomination seems to be stirring up a little controversy.

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/alone-yet-not-alone-oscar-nomination

http://www.thewire.com/entertainment/2014/01/alone-yet-not-alone-most-wtf-oscar-nominee/357082/

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/introducing-alone-yet-not-alone-the-years-most-obscure-oscar-nominee

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscars-surprise-song-nom-alone-671669?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Fnews+(The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Top+Stories)

I'm not sure if Broughton is being criticized for campaigning (which is entirely normal for all composers) or if people just hate the film.

But the film does look terrible. It's a shame such a great composer only gets assignments like this these days.

I don't see what separates Newman from all the other composers who don't have any Oscar yet. Before you give one to Price or Newman or Williams (again), give one to Danny freaking Elfman.

Danny's best work is behind him. He'll never win now.

I don't see what separates Newman from all the other composers who don't have any Oscar yet.

I think it mostly comes from him being the most nominated (living) composer who hasn't won.

Hmm, l saw a few clips of 12 Years a Slave and I just know right off the bat it's the type of movie to sweep everything

so no Zimmer on the list, I thought everyone had bets on him winning the Oscar this year (12Years a slave, rush,Man of Steel)

Every time I think about Gravity, I can't help but think about its absolutely ridiculous mechanics of space junk orbiting much faster than a mere woman who happens to be in the same orbit. Ah well the Academy wants to reward its bells and whistles and superb visuals, which they shall.

I thought the mark of the true JWFan was that he has all of Williams' music in his collection, and has paid for at least the good stuff.

Nah, George Clooney's character was a crap caricature and the sledgehammer visual symbolism was cheesy as hell: *circus announcer* "See Sandra as a baby in the womb of space! Gasp as Sandra crawls out of the ocean onto land like the first life did millions of years ago!"

Clever or subtle it was not. The film would have been stronger if it just stuck to the visceral emersion.

I didn't need IMAX 3D to cringe at that stuff.

Ditto

Why isn't Hunger Games Catching Fire not nominated for best film?

Because it was crap, but unlike Gravity it didn't have the prestige involved (Cuarón, Bullock, Clooney).

thanks for that stupid bit how refreshing

It's probably more deserving of best pic than Gravity is anyway. Gravity was very good, but not best picture material. It's rather lacking in parts I thought.

It has a few narrative problems for me, which prevented it being a 'great' film. Visually, top marks, but I'd agree that it's not best picture material.

Yeah, Bullocks backstory was bollocks, and surprisingly backward (in a movie which is otherwise on the bleeding edge). But I did give into the script cliches by the end, I must confess. I rooted for her character.

Heh, this is so, sooooo true: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/gravity/28901/the-depressing-gravity-backlash

Anyway, I'm going to take that article's advice and try to catch it again, on IMAX.

handful? I've never met anyone in my life that liked the movie at all.

The script isn't just poor, it's terrible.

I don't need to learn how a movie I don't like was made.