Who Should Win the 2014 Oscar for Best Original Score?

Sharkissimo

The JWFan Litmus Test  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these nominees should win?

• The Book Thief - John Williams
    • Gravity - Steven Price
    • Her - William Butler and Owen Pallett
    • Philomena - Alexandre Desplat
    • Saving Mr. Banks - Thomas Newman
  2. 2. Which one will likely win?

• The Book Thief - John Williams
    • Gravity - Steven Price
    • Her - William Butler and Owen Pallett
    • Philomena - Alexandre Desplat
    • Saving Mr. Banks - Thomas Newman
  3. 3. Do you consider yourself a loyal JWFan?

Out of those 5 nominees, I like The Book Thief score the best. (Out of ALLL scores written for 2013 movies, I don't consider The Book Thief to be the best).

Gravily will win.

yes, I am a loyal JWFan.

What the hell does "loyal JWfan" mean anyway? Defend a score of his even though you know or strongly suspect it's not that special, or inferior to others? No, sorry, I'm not that.

No, I don't even think that

but I think rooting for him to win the Oscar is a bare minimum

The unloyal JWfans are the ones that take every opportunity to bash his output from the past 15 years

I don't agree with that. I love JW and all his music, but every year I want the best score to win, regardless of who wrote it.

The unloyal JWfans are the ones that take every opportunity to bash his output from the past 15 years

If that's the case, then I guess I'm loyal because in the last years I noticed that I try to be as impartial as can be, whether it's John Williams or Mr. Papadopoulos (just a random Greek name) :mrgreen:

edit: Wow!

All of us so far think that Gravity will win.

I guess we represent the thoughts of the Academy too...

Burn them!!!!!!

Really, there is a difference between bashing, what you perceive as bashing, and stating that Williams' music lacks the grandeur of old.

Well , there's no Empire Strikes Backs anymore but his output is still great...better than in the 90's

You mean that War Horse + Tintin + Lincoln + Book Thief > Hook + Home Alone + Schindler's List + Jurassic Park + Far & Away + Nixon etc.?

Or maybe do you mean mid to late 1990s? (Sleepers, Rosewood, Amistad, Stepmom, lost World etc.)

HPSS, HPPOA, Star Wars, The Terminal, Munich, Memoirs of a Geisha, War Horse, Tintin, and Lincoln have all been, at the very least, solid and enjoyable scores. A few of those go well beyond that.

Gravity all the way. It's my favourite of all the nominees.

I probably don't need to say that I'm not a loyal JW Fan. I'm not rooting for him this year because I find The Book Thief rather boring. Of course, if he does win, I'll be very happy for him.

I've only seen Gravity, and I did appreciate its score/sound design very much. I thought it was very effective. Would never listen to it on its own like, but I doubt that was ever its creator's intention anyway.

However, I would like Williams to win any and all awards he's nominated for, just because I love him to bits. If you don't like it piss off.

I picked Book Thief for "should" and Gravity for "will," but all five are on an equal enough level for me to not particularly care who wins. All are above average efforts with some nice ideas, nothing staggering but wholly listenable (yes, even Gravity!) and while it may not be high praise, I honestly can't think of five scores this year that would make exponentially better replacements.

Really I would just be pleased as punch to see Williams up there with an Oscar in hand, but the same goes for Desplat or Newman.

MOS was not worthy of a nomination, it's a below average score with one nice bit. but its indicative of the overall film.

A great disappointment.

John Williams should win, irrespective of the quality of the competition, as always.

Gravity is the most likely to win (unless they decide to give it Desplat or Newman finally)

And all I want to say to the last question is: JOHN WILLIAMS OR DEATH!

MOS was not worthy of a nomination, it's a below average score with one nice bit. but its indicative of the overall film.

A great disappointment.

Here

and Star Trek into Darkness...that seems more like a Trekkie geek wish

The Star Trek scores are not even great by Giacchino standards

The thing with the Star Trek Into Darkness score is that Giacchino wrote 2 hours of music, with themes that build and develop over the course of that runtime, as well as a variety of different action, suspense, and emotional ideas. It's impossible to summarize this 2 hour score as a 45 minute OST, which is unfortunately all we have right now. An expanded release would really change a lot of people's minds on this score. I hope Varese is going to release one.

I was never happy with lots of Goldsmith's short releases

I don't like every Goldsmith score, but those I do like I always wanted the complete scores

That is not what I mean. I phrased it badly.

Many many Goldsmith scores have had 45 minute OST releases. and with many of them people thought they were great scores and wanted more.

While a "shorter" release doesnt always offer the whole picture of a score, you should be able to gauge if it is a good score or not.

People were generally underwelmed with Into Darkness. If a 45 minute release doesnt leave people wanting more, then either the production on the album is terrible, or the score isnt that great.

ok,..I agree to some extent but

The Star Wars Prequels and KOtCS scores are way better in expanded/complete form than the OST would indicate

I was disappointed when I first heard the RoTS OST especially but rate it a near masterpiece if you add all the unreleased music from the videogames

I my opinion KOCS is actually a worse score in it's complete form. Yes it has some extra action music, but also a very long stretch (between Magic Doors & Spiders and The Jungle Chase) which doesn't do anything for me at all. Either low rumbling atmosphere or "comic" mickey mousing.

I find it almost impossible to slog through and nowhere near a masterpiece.

ROTS never really did anything for me at all. I love the other two prequel scores, but this one doesnt seem to have any heart at all.

KM, how can a 75-minute album be so misleading that one needs the remaining 45-odd minutes to suddenly elevate the thing to masterpiece status?

I kind of see the point with a lot of these Varése albums from the 90's additionally burdened with some composer's inability to leave off unimportant suspense cues in lieu of more exciting passages, ahem Mr. Goldsmith...