Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

Indeed!

Lost = Jurassic World > John Carter = The Incredibles > Star Trek 09 > DOTPOTA > Jupiter Ascending > Tomorrowland > STID > Super 8

Lost > Jupiter Ascending = John Carter > Secret Weapons Over Normandy > Ratatouille = Up = Inside Out > Medal of Honor: Frontline = Medal of Honor: Airborne > Tomorrowland > Dawn of the Planet of the Apes > The Incredibles > Star Trek 09 > STID > Let Me In > Super 8

Karol

Listen to his game scores, ASAP.

I have. They're good but nothing distinctive about them draws me back. And I wasn't trying to be complete with the rankings anyway, just as far as blockbusters I guess.

I listened to it again and it still ranges from fair to good. Much more satisfying than the hyperactive-but-empty TOMORROWLAND (i never made it through it all) and the big-but-thematically limp JUPITER ASCENDING.

It seems thematically more robust and more coherently designed, also better suited to Giacchino's talents than more high-minded conceptual stuff like JA. This one rumbling horn theme at the 07:50 mark of the suite is serious fun - it's Williams/Goldsmith undiluted by Giacchino's usual thematic dyspnea.

This one rumbling horn theme at the 07:50 mark of the suite is serious fun - it's Williams/Goldsmith undiluted by Giacchino's usual thematic dyspnea.

That is my favourite one.

Karol

That is

This one rumbling horn theme at the 07:50 mark of the suite is serious fun - it's Williams/Goldsmith undiluted by Giacchino's usual thematic dyspnea.

Karol

Sort of a Medal of Honor moment to my mind and yeah the catchiest theme in the score for certain.

Oh, speaking of Sunrise O'er Jurassic World, the back of the CD indicates Mick Giacchino wrote that.

It's more John Barry in his Shostakovich mode but I agree.

Just seen the film. Owens theme that I listed and Jay listed isn't owens theme. It's the theme for In-Gen.

Owens theme is in 'Owen you Nothing' and 'Chasing the Dragons.'

Interesting!

And what about the Love Theme / Family Theme business?

And the Main Theme / Kids Theme?

I've updated my theme list, but you were right, the Love theme I stated is the Family Theme. The Kids theme I stated is used in moments with the kids, but it also acts as a general musical moment for 'we're in a park full of dinosaurs holy shit this is awesome.'

Also something interesting I found *potential mini spoiler* depending on whether you are massively invested on the placements of the music, but the Lost World theme statement isn't used for the moment with the T-Rex, it's used for a moment with a Velociraptor.

So as someone who was never a fan of the original Jurassic Park (movie or score)...

Hearing Giacchino and JW side by side in bits and snippets, Giacchino's fun romp soundscape fits the universe better I think.

Williams' stately music sounds like Nelson Tyrannosaurus Mandela Rex is coming to save the park from dinopartheid.

It's a fucking amusement park, get your head out of your ass and have some fun!

Oh yeah and btw it was a really fun film. Great action and good effects, except for the mosasaurus which still looks bad to me but mostly the CGI and some wonderfully used animatronics were great. I saw it in 2D. The music was placed very well too. Williams themes were used brilliantly and there is another delicately nostalgic Williams JP moment that isn't on the score. You'll know when you see it. I was also wonderfully surprised by one moment that was basically the big 'Holy shit here we go' moment, because I expected them to use Williams themes but it was Giacchino's main theme that blasted heroically. It was really great.

So does the 5-note theme that's introduced 7 seconds into the first track represent the I-Rex, or just danger in general?

Yes it does. Mostly for the intro of the I-Rex. Like scenes where you haven't truly seen it yet. The theme that you called evil theme is mostly used for jungle scenes of fear etc, like being stalked and hunted and general fear.

So as someone who was never a fan of the original Jurassic Park (movie or score)...

Hearing Giacchino and JW side by side in bits and snippets, Giacchino's fun romp soundscape fits the universe better I think.

Williams' stately music sounds like Nelson Tyrannosaurus Mandela Rex is coming to save the park from dinopartheid.

It's a fucking amusement park, get your head out of your ass and have some fun!

Point me to one cue on Gia's effort which is as good as T-Rex Rescue and Finale or even High Wire Fucking Stunts. Now.

Lot of unreleased music that I'd like to have. The theme from one action track and the end of suite is Raptor hunting theme/ Owen theme. The one from 7:50 into suite is the military theme (inGen theme). They are almost the most dominant elements in the film score. The reason why the two feel so similar becomes quite clear once you watch the film.

One cool statement of Williams theme where the find a relic of old park (visitor centre). Piano version over static mysterious string harmonies. You get the idea.

TLW theme underscores one cool moment of the final sequence. It makes more of a emotional pay off as opposed to plot-driven one. Same way as does the fanfare in the one track before.

Williams' material is treated as a relic sort of stuff. Thing from different era. Which is actually quite smart in context.

Music is well used and quite well mixed. It works very well.

Karol

How's this look, gents

Indominus Rex Theme
01 Bury The Hatching 0:07-0:35
07 Indominus Wrecks 4:51-5:01
13 Chasing The Dragons 2:03-2:12
15 Costa Rican Standoff 3:16-3:23
20 Jurassic World Suite 3:38-4:10, 4:34-5:17

Family Theme
02 The Family That Strays Together 0:06-1:00
09 Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus 0:20-0:36
10 Fits and Jumpstarts 0:13-0:42
12 Love in the Time of Pterosauria 4:08-4:30
18 Nine to Survival Job 0:31-1:20 (modified)
20 Jurassic World Suite 9:23-11:13 (modified)

Fear theme
04 As The Jurassic World Turns 0:00-0:40
07 Indominus Wrecks 0:55-1:43, 3:21-3:27
20 Jurassic World Suite 0:05-3:14

Main Theme
04 As the Jurassic World Turns 0:57-1:49
05 Clearly His First Rodeo 2:13-3:00, 3:00-3:28 (B Section)
08 Gyrosphere of Influence 0:07-0:43, 1:07-1:30 (B Section)
09 Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus 1:57-3:06
10 Fits and Jumpstarts 1:09-1:13
11 The Dimorphodon Shuffle 1:40-1:50
14 Raptor Your Heart Out 2:35-2:45
15 Costa Rican Standoff 0:53-1:30 (modifed)
16 Our Rex is Bigger than Yours 0:25-0:51
17 Growl and Make Up 0:30-1:14
18 Nine to Survival Job 0:15-0:31 (B Section), 1:40-2:33
19 The Park is Closed 0:20-1:38

InGen Theme
05 Clearly His First Rodeo 1:52-2:06
09 Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus 3:23-3:42
12 Love in the Time of Pterosauria 0:50-1:02
20 Jurassic World Suite 6:28-7:20, 7:50-8:48

Owen's Theme
06 Owen You Nothing 0:13-1:13
07 Indominus Wrecks 0:13-0:34
13 Chasing the Dragons 0:22-0:53 (action variant)
20 Jurassic World Suite 11:15-12:41
24 Sunrise O'er Jurassic World

Raptor Theme (from The Lost World: Jurassic Park (Game) Score)
14 Raptor Your Heart Out 1:41-1:57

John Williams themes:

Theme From Jurassic Park
03 Welcome To Jurassic World 0:00-0:38 (intro), 0:38-2:08
19 The Park is Closed 0:00-0:20

Island Theme
04 As The Jurassic World Turns 5:00-5:30

Theme From The Lost World
16 Our Rex is Bigger than Yours 1:50-1:56

Well, I wouldn't necessarily distinguish between Indominus and Fear themes. The latter is a sort of a lullaby for a child that this creature is. They both relate to it.

Karol

Seems good to me.

I'll have to check them but yeah seems right. I agree that fear theme could be called I-Rex B theme as all the fear in the film is mostly attributed to the I-Rex

Makes sense!

So basically the entire first half of the suite is a I-Rex Themes concert arrangement.

Makes sense!

So basically the entire first half of the suite is a I-Rex Themes concert arrangement.

Yeah. All the major themes get a good going in the film too. All easily identifiable and memorable in the film. This is a strong score to film ratio and I'm sure some kids will be humming Giacchino's main theme when they leave the cinema. It was showcased very well.

I'm listening to Love In The Time Of Pterosauria right now, and it almost sounded like the first couple notes of The Lost World theme just before the 1:30 mark

Giacchino might good/bad musician/ melodist but he sure knows what he's doing dramatically. Not that obvious of a skill among composers.

Karol

You forgot to delete:

Owen's Theme

Why would I? That's clearly his theme.

The debate before was that his theme was different than the InGen theme, which we are all on the same page about now.

Makes sense!

Yeah. All the major themes get a good going in the film too. All easily identifiable and memorable in the film. This is a strong score to film ratio and I'm sure some kids will be humming Giacchino's main theme when they leave the cinema. It was showcased very well.

Yeah, the shorter theme is a carnivore motif while the other is more of a Frankenstein monster theme. Whenever they talk about the ethics and what they created Giacchino uses this tune. It speaks to I-Rex's childlike curiosity and its intelligence.

Karol

So as someone who was never a fan of the original Jurassic Park (movie or score)...Hearing Giacchino and JW side by side in bits and snippets, Giacchino's fun romp soundscape fits the universe better I think.Williams' stately music sounds like Nelson Tyrannosaurus Mandela Rex is coming to save the park from dinopartheid.It's a fucking amusement park, get your head out of your ass and have some fun!

That's because JP 4 is a pile of shit compared to JP, ergo Giacchino fits it better than Williams. Williams brought dignity to a movie; as if the world is craving any MORE dumb summer romps.

the shorter theme is a carnivore motif while the other is more of a Frankenstein monster theme. Whenever they talk about the ethics and what they created Giacchino uses this tune. It speaks to I-Rex's childlike curiosity and its intelligence.

Karol

So the one that plays in the very first track is just this film's version of the Carnivore Motif from JP1 or TLW's own carnivore motif, while the theme that opens track 4 is specifically for the I-Rex, but usually when other characters are talking about it, not necessarily when its on screen doing stuff?

Two nice little interviews with Michael about the score, the Jurassic Park theme, and his work on the Lost World video game.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/06/10/jurassic-world-michael-giacchino/71035456/

http://collider.com/michael-giacchino-on-jurassic-world-star-trek-3-and-more/

Giacchino might good/bad musician/ melodist but he sure knows what he's doing dramatically. Not that obvious of a skill among composers.

Karol

I think of Giacchino is a filmmaker first and a composer second. Like John Barry's before him he's a dramatisist. It explains his "story, story, story" mantra in interviews whenever he's asked about the the technical side (orchestration, themes etc), and also why the compositional side of his writing can get sidelined. He'll go with ideas that are simple, "right" and dramatically effective, where I think Williams tends to painstakingly craft them, so they not only work for the film but also satisfy his creative muse.

the shorter theme is a carnivore motif while the other is more of a Frankenstein monster theme. Whenever they talk about the ethics and what they created Giacchino uses this tune. It speaks to I-Rex's childlike curiosity and its intelligence.

Karol

So the one that plays in the very first track is just this film's version of the Carnivore Motif from JP1 or TLW's own carnivore motif, while the theme that opens track 4 is specifically for the I-Rex, but usually when other characters are talking about it, not necessarily when its on screen doing stuff?

Raptors get their own motoric ostinato (heard in Chasing the Dragons and other tracks) so I wouldn't say this motif relates to them. All the menace in the film originates from I-Rex so I'd say it's his theme as well.

But then. I don't really overanalyse stuff like this while watching. Not much of a diagram/list type of person. So I might miss "subtleties" like this. Just talking about my impressions.

Karol

I think of Giacchino is a filmmaker first and a composer second. Like John Barry's before him he's a dramatisist. It explains his "story, story, story" mantra in interviews whenever he's asked about the the technical side (orchestration, themes etc), and also why the compositional side of his writing can get sidelined. He'll go with ideas that are simple, "right" and dramatically effective, where I think Williams tends to painstakingly craft them, so they not only work for the film but also satisfy his creative muse.

Yes, bang on.

Karol

Karol

Good way of looking at it, especially considering his early studies which focused, I believe, on filmmaking in general, right? Music didn't come until a bit later.

I think he's done pretty well.

Why would I? That's clearly his theme.

What? I compared the two themes on the other page. They're nothing alike.

KK, TGP, karelm, back me up on this will ya?

I know that - weren't you comparing the melody in "Own You Nothing" to the InGen theme in that post? No one's arguing that the theme in Owen You Nothing is the same as the InGen theme. Just that the melody in a few other tracks is. But not the ones originally brought up.

What everybody's calling the InGen Theme is the same as Owen's. The only difference is that it's in the triple rather than duple time, and (on the album) it's always joined with the Raptor Ostinato.

The theme in Owen You Nothing bares no relation.

Are you sure? Listen to these timestamps again, all of them. There's no way these are all the same theme!

InGen Theme
05 Clearly His First Rodeo 1:52-2:06
09 Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus 3:23-3:42
12 Love in the Time of Pterosauria 0:50-1:02
20 Jurassic World Suite 6:28-7:20, 7:50-8:48

Owen's Theme