Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

Another vintage explanation for their human motion is that Stormtroopers were played by humans and maybe the director didn't want the actors to pretend that they were robots because then it would look silly.

It's ok that you thought that they were droids....but dont try to sell us that George Lucas wanted them to be droids.

I doubt those lightsaber welding stormtroopers from the early mcquarrie's paintings were intended to be droids ever.

I have know people of my generation and younger, that thought they were droids, but they were people who had not interest in star wars at all.

17 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

It's ok that you thought that they were droids....but dont try to sell us that George Lucas wanted them to be droids.

I never said that. Please don't try to make it sound as if I'm trying to convince everyone that Lucas originally wanted the stormtroopers to be robots. I'm just saying that their origin wasn't so clear-cut to audiences in 1977. We never saw behind the mask of Vader or that of a stormtrooper. Everything was still possible and that was a good thing. It was a different time. 

I love that the Clone Wars character Saw Gerrera is in this, being played by Forest. And who on earth thought that Vader would not be back. He has to be back or it wouldn't make sense as Rogue one ends "MINUTES" before ANH starts. He won't be a HUGE part of the film but he will be in key scenes, one big scene and looming in the background.

As for the reshoots, they aren't just the regular run of the mill reshoots. There is something wrong here. Had they been scheduled from the start, they would not be saying that "getting all the actors back from their various projects is a logistical mess" (paraphrasing here) because the reshoots would have been scheduled from the start and the actors schedules free for that time. Something was not liked and more extensive reshoots are therefor necessary making it now a nightmare to get the actors back at the same time. I know part of it is to do with the lack of levity in the film, however, I would not mind a darker, war movie for this. I mean in the end everyone dies right? I would think most die in the film and maybe the rest go to Alderaan where in ANH they are annihilated. Otherwise again, it would not make sense for the continuity of the movies. Why are they not there except for Mon Mothma?, who by the way is scarily similar to the original actress, Bravo!

And people thought the storm troopers were droids? hahahaha! That's actually funny. Would make none of the films make any sense, even the first one where Leia says "Aren't you too short to be a storm trooper?" It's obvious she is talking to a person inside a suit and Luke couldn't have worn it as a suit if they were droids.... Lord! I keep forgetting we are in the Era of Trump....

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I never said that. Please don't try to make it sound as if I'm trying to convince everyone that Lucas originally wanted the stormtroopers to be robots. I'm just saying that their origin wasn't so clear-cut to audiences in 1977. We never saw behind the mask of Vader or that of a stormtrooper. Everything was still possible and that was a good thing. It was a different time. 

But Obi wan uses the force on them and calls them weak- minded.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

More than now. Cinema was more smart in the '70s. Star Wars made it dumb again. 

What really made cinema dumb again, Star Wars, or all the other filmmakers and studios that wanted to make SW 2.0? 

Who's the more foolish..?

To be fair, Al, there were plenty of good, and intelligent films after SW, but the truly creative time of the 70s had gone. You see what complancy brings? 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Alex probably didnt understand Star Wars when he first saw it.

Oooh, you're gonna go straight to hell, for that one!  :lol:

33 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

But Obi wan uses the force on them and calls them weak- minded.

So?

26 minutes ago, Richard said:

To be fair, Al, there were plenty of good, and intelligent films after SW, but the truly creative time of the 70s had gone. You see what complancy brings? 

Star Wars together with Jaws ended the idea in Hollywood that people wanted to see artistic movies. Now the focus was back on making the next blockbuster (again) ... and movies more geared towards youth. Yes, Richard, the era of the American New Wave was over. Even though I like John Williams as a composer, I was never really a fan of the blockbuster formula.

Alex

25 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

So?

Weak-minded implies a flesh brain...

Look this is debating just for the sake of it.

How were the other droids in films from the same the era? (including those of SW): metalic, full of gears, joints and with mechanical sounds.

We still depict droids like that in full blown CGI films, even.

Oh for crying out loud. There has always been films made for thinking and films made for pure enjoyment! Star Wars didn't start that and it will always be the case. Romantic Comedies and Screwball Comedies have been around since the beginning of Cinema as have big blockbuster films like Ben Hur, Cleopatra, Quo Vadis, and B movies galore of the 40's and 50's. Many blockbusters are artistic in their own right. It's an odd thing to say to be honest..... I'm a huge classic movie buff. I don't even watch movies nowadays as I prefer TV shows, we are in the golden age of TV. But movies back then were fun, and the best in my opinion were the ones I didn't think were "artistic" and they were also the most popular back then too, just like now.

Read the part where I said "back" and "again", Ocelot. This means blockbusters already existed before Jaws and Star Wars. The American New Wave was a momentarily interlude in the everlasting search for the next blockbuster.

20 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Weak-minded implies a flesh brain...

Or easy to manipulate, low intelligence AI. Remember, everything was  still open.

Everything was still open... Until Han and Luke knocked out two stormtroopers and put on their armor. 

Maybe the troopers were droids and Luke and Han scooped out their soft milky robot guts like a cantaloupe and... No, there was no time. 

It was also a kids movie. Hey look! A silly stormtrooper bumps his head and now these two dummies get knocked out ... Hahahaha! Finally movies are fun again! 

Alex

A movie that failed because it wasn't the next fun blockbuster. Was Blade Runner the very last convulsion of the American New Wave? Probably ... 

On 6/25/2016 at 1:21 AM, king mark said:

they should make a Star Wars movie where Darth Vader is the main character. While James Earl Jones is still alive

Technically, the saga told in the original and prequel trilogies is about Vader's descent to darkness and return to the light. So, he's the main character. :)

But I see what you're saying.

They could re-tell the 'Shadows of the Empire' story from Darth Vader's point of view.

So no need of Young luke, leia or lando. James earl jones and Ian Mcdiarmid are enough with new cast.

On 29 juni 2016 at 3:02 PM, mstrox said:

Vader is the least interesting thing about the "Darth Vader" comics.  I think overuse of him would potentially ruin the mystique of the character.

You are about 18 years too late pointing that out!

I want an origin story for the box thingy on Vader's chest.  What do all those buttons do?  Why hasn't anyone ever pressed them to mess with him?  Big plot hole there. 

1 minute ago, TheWhiteRider said:

I want an origin story for the box thingy on Vader's chest.  What do all those buttons do?  Why hasn't anyone ever pressed them to mess with him?  Big plot hole there. 

Darth Vader was prepared for the eventual hipstery return of the casette format and that thingy is just a tapedeck.

54 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It's a white noise machine, and those buttons will change it from the default "labored mechanical breathing" to "crashing waves," "gentle rain," "night wind," etc.

No whale song?

Just now, Shatner's Rug said:

ASMR?

Doesn't James Earl Jones' imperious voice qualify for that?

On 30/06/2016 at 4:22 PM, TheWhiteRider said:

Sod that. I want to see an origin story for how Vader broke his neck.

From "The Injuries of Darth Vader."

v2.gif

Physical therapist Brian Young:

[In the above picture], it is apparent that [the] C-2 ... vertebral body is an implant. If you look farther down C-3 and C-4, I believe are also implants. At C-2, he may not have suffered spinal cord injury, but did at C-3. The vertebral body (the actual bone) may have just been crushed at C-2 and maybe 1, but no neurological damage. He must have suffered some at C-3 however.

This is supported by the fact that Vader could breathe shallowly and talk in a low and laboured voice with his mask off ... in Return of the Jedi. If he had injury at C-1 or 2, he might have been unable to speak that clearly for that long. This is because the nerves that innervate the diaphragm leave the spinal cord at these levels and below. It comes from several levels, beginning at C-1 (nerve) and going down to C-4 (some sources say even C-5). The farther up the spinal cord you go, the less function there is available.

Once neurons in the CNS are severed, they never grow back by natural means. Vader must have had some circuits that bypassed the damage in his spinal cord, because ... he was very agile. ... If not, he would be bed-ridden.

At C-3 spinal nerve (the last level intact after a complete lesion of C-3 vertebrae) the maximum functional capacity the patient would have would be talking, chewing, sipping, and blowing. Respirator is required, with a full-time attendant for the patient. The patient may obtain locomotion with an electric wheelchair that has chin controls or other modifications. This is the level I estimate Vader's injury occurred.

A C-4 complete lesion would leave C-4 spinal nerve the lowest available for muscle innervation. A patient with this level of injury may be able to perform a limited "shoulder shrug." The individual may be able to paint or write using his or her mouth. This patient would be completely bed-ridden, and would be completely dependent on someone else to move in the bed (rolling from one side to the other, etc). This is considered the lowest level Vader's injury took place since he required a respirator. It is possible that he sustained damage to lower levels as well, but any lower injuries would produce no neurological deficits (assuming the Cervical lesion was complete) because the neurons would already be severed.

My origin story would involve a stray banana skin aboard The Executor, a personal injury solicitor, a lengthy rehab/physiotherapy montage, and mass slaughter of hundreds of crew.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like there will probably be a new trailer debuting during the Rogue One panel at SW Celebration, which begins at 11 am US Eastern time and lasts for an hour.  

TV debut or no TV debut, Lucasfilm will put the trailer up as soon as the panel is over.  If they don't, the audience smartphone bootlegs from the convention will flow, and LFL knows that.

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

Read two posts above yours :)

Did see that, but there wasn't much discussion so I figured I'd revive it. :)

Yes, I look forward to seeing a new trailer today!

~

The sizzle real shown is online

So, was a proper trailer for Rogue One ALSO shown, or was this it?

And is what is airing tonight on ABC this same sizzle reel, or a proper trailer?

The indication I saw on Twitter was that at the end of the panel, there was a trailer (and that the livestream was cut off for that).  Early word is: Vader.

Slashfilm tweeted that they heard ABC will be running the same sizzle reel, not the trailer.  LFL hasn't given any official word on the matter.

I don't have a TV provider, so I'll just wait until the trailer comes up through regular Internet means anyway.  In lieu of a trailer, I'll have a ton of Star Wars stuff to peruse this weekend (today's panels and StarWars.com livestream content)

As mentioned by @mstrox:

https://mobile.twitter.com/slashfilm/status/753988288516677632

The BTS footage was cool, although a little long, cliché, and not as effective as the first teaser, but I need to see that trailer! There's a pretty solid chance it'll never be officially released, though.

So, currently, the only video of this trailer is in terrible quality. I won't link to any such videos here, by the way. 

I mean I like that it teases a different kind of skirmish than we've seen in a SW film before (a beach assault), but the whole Death Star part is kind of annoying after they included a death star type thing in the plot of The Force Awakens

Listen carefully to the music in the beginning of the video - that's Apocalypto! The guy on my avatar makes an unexpected appearence.

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

I mean I like that it teases a different kind of skirmish than we've seen in a SW film before (a beach assault), but the whole Death Star part is kind of annoying after they included a death star type thing in the plot of The Force Awakens

I don't mind the Death Star so much in Rogue One, since it is the actual first Death Star.

Starkiller Base in The Force Awakens though.... could they seriously not have come up with something else?

What did the "Empire" think? "Third time's a charm"? :blink: