The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, I can’t complain that there are new Batman movies. It’s up to me to see them - or not. Me not enjoying them shouldn’t take anything away from those who do like them. And I shouldn’t try to convince anybody otherwise. Like what you like.

But I just want other movies. Something else to choose from. Move the genre forward. Explore new characters in new situations. Do a proper horror movie. Do a proper murder mystery. Do a drama.

Superhero movies have been exactly the same now for the last 20 years (more or less), almost beat for beat.

A new villain, a new car, a new suit, more blood, less blood, more cursing, less cursing, darker, more broody - but it’s always the same old movie.

Can we please have something new?

I trust Matt Reeves to do a Batman movie that is different enough from what came before. So far, he seems to have been focusing on turning his movie into a murder mystery and explore the detective side of Batman (which wasn't exactly explored by the other filmmakers). 

There are at least three Batmen in live action DC movies right now. Robert Patterson's Antifaman, who eats tuna, a 70 year old Michael Keaton, who's at risk for the Chinavirus and Ben Affleck, who everyone thought was finished after he was in one crappy movie after the next and was replaced by the Patterson film.

40 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

There are at least three Batmen in live action DC movies right now. Robert Patterson's Antifaman, who eats tuna, a 70 year old Michael Keaton, who's at risk for the Chinavirus and Ben Affleck, who everyone thought was finished after he was in one crappy movie after the next and was replaced by the Patterson film.

Affleck is the only one with a believable Batman physique who looks like he can take on a crew of thugs, and even then they padded him out with foam muscles.

31 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

F

Affleck is the only one with a believable Batman physique who looks like he can take on a crew of thugs, and even then they padded him out with foam muscles.

For a ' straight' guy, you seem inordinately interested in Batman's physique!😎

THE BATMAN Will Take Place In "Year Two," But Matt Reeves Confirms "Year One" Setting For HBO Max Series

During The Batman panel at DC FanDome, co-writer and director Matt Reeves dropped some major new details about his plans for the untitled spinoff series coming to HBO Max. Confirming that it follows the cops working for the Gotham City Police Department, the filmmaker explained that the show will head back to "Year One" of the Caped Crusader's career.

He didn't clarify whether that means Batman will appear in the series, but noted that it will follow a cop who battles corruption within the department. While that happens, the myth of the Dark Knight starts to build, so we'll likely get plenty of references to whatever Bruce Wayne was up to during this time.

"You start to see the story from the point of view of these corrupt cops, one in particular," Reeves told fans. "The Gotham PD series will go into the corruption of the Gotham Police Department...it goes back to Batman Year One...we'll see these characters from a perspective we've never seen before."

Reeves later noted that in Batman's second year of protecting Gotham City, he still hasn't become a symbol of hope for Gotham City and is considered both dangerous and a myth, so going further back into his history promises to be extremely interesting. However, with the focus on both new and familiar characters in this show, Batman is probably not allies with Jim Gordon just yet.

Regardless, Reeves and Terrence Winter's DC TV series sounds like it could offer a deep dive into this world that The Batman won't have time to explore, and that's definitely worth getting excited about.

What do you guys think?

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/the_batman/the-batman-will-take-place-in-year-two-but-matt-reeves-confirms-year-one-setting-for-hbo-max-series-a177790

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

A series set in Gotham City without featuring Batman seems completely pointless to me.

22 hours ago, rough cut said:

To be fair, I can’t complain that there are new Batman movies. It’s up to me to see them - or not. Me not enjoying them shouldn’t take anything away from those who do like them. And I shouldn’t try to convince anybody otherwise. Like what you like.

But I just want other movies. Something else to choose from. Move the genre forward. Explore new characters in new situations. Do a proper horror movie. Do a proper murder mystery. Do a drama.

Superhero movies have been exactly the same now for the last 20 years (more or less), almost beat for beat.

A new villain, a new car, a new suit, more blood, less blood, more cursing, less cursing, darker, more broody - but it’s always the same old movie.

Can we please have something new?

Television is where to find good drama these days.

Even superhero ones!

I didn't see JL but I'm intrigued by this concept.

Not that I expect it to be good, but I'll give it a chance.

BtwvTarantino did the same thing with H8. Didn't work very well, at least compared to the movie

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Most super-hero TV shows are atrocious. The Arrowverse and stuff like Titans are pretty bad. 

Apparently, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.T. is good, but I don't have the patience to check it out.

300 and Sucker Punch are terrible.

Well I didn't see SP but 300 was awful

5 minutes ago, rough cut said:

The Boys!

I was thinking mainly of GOTHAM ( haven't seen that one).

ARROW season one was good also!

SMALLVILLE had its moments.

LUKE COLE good.

DAREDEVIL seasone one was good.

Agent CARTER was great!

15 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

On 8/23/2020 at 8:35 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I've never supported this type of violence. The pre-Nolan movies featured murder and guns (but then, so did the Nolans), but the hand-to-hand combat was along the lines of the Indiana Jones series. The Batman brutally beating that guy in this preview for no reason looked like an Antifa video from Portland on FOX News. 

Hmmm

Edit: welp, just saw some other posts. All makes sense now.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

Yeah, me too. It’s an interesting beast. But at no point do I believe that this cut is a truthful representation of his original vision.

It’s a revision done with 20/20 hindsight of what the fans didn’t like in the Whedon cut, done with an added budget and a less restrained time constraint. So it’s a different beast, by fact.

That doesn’t mean it has to be bad, mind you. Likewise, that doesn’t mean it has to be good.

But no one can deny that Snyder has done some good/cool stuff in the past: 300, Sucker Punch, The Watchmen.

Even though I strongly disagree with almost every creative decision in The Man Of Steel and BvS - and also seem to be one of the few who enjoyed Whedon’s JL (and was happy Snyder was taken off it) - I am curious to see what this alternate cut will bring.

If I don’t like it - life goes on, I’ll still have Whedon’s JL, no one can take my enjoyment of that movie away from me.

If I like it - all the better, a new movie to enjoy!

I only like Snyder's work in 300 but I agree he's interesting enough as a director that I want to keep on watching him.

I think Joss Whedon's JL is a better film than MOS and BvS. And I think its fairly obvious that it will be a better film than the Snyder Cut. But Snyder cut will be an interesting film to see nonetheless.

It is still beyond extraordinary that we will see it at all. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

And? 

Something existing doesn't make it not pointless. 

Who cares about supervillains vs "the police"? It's like making a series about Superman vs shoplifters. 

Gotham was occasionally good but usually off-the-rails and flat out stupid. Seemed like Alfred was constantly beating up women and shooting people, Penguin's role was gradually reduced, which no one wanted, while Riddler eventually sucked, Gordon's annoying ex-girlfriend never went away and became a supervillain, crappy version of Joker. It's just not a dependable show.

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Gotham was occasionally good but usually off-the-rails and flat out stupid. Seemed like Alfred was constantly beating up women and shooting people, Penguin's role was gradually reduced, which no one wanted, while Riddler eventually sucked, Gordon's annoying ex-girlfriend never went away and became a supervillain, crappy version of Joker. It's just not a dependable show.

It was a mixed bag.

I agree about Gordon's girlfriend - BOTH of them!

I enjoyed Penguins rise to power and his relationship with Gordon.

I prefer to emphasize the good aspects of the show- most shows lack any merit!

13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Can’t say that I am looking forward to a reboot of Gotham.

Not that I thought that Gotham was bad, I liked it, at least at the beginning, never finished it though.

But another show? About GPD? So soon? Really?

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Most super-hero TV shows are atrocious. The Arrowverse and stuff like Titans are pretty bad. 

Apparently, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.T. is good, but I don't have the patience to check it out.

The only one I can endorse is The Boys. It's like a continuation of Snyder's Watchmen but then for TV.

15 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Can’t say that I am looking forward to a reboot of Gotham.

Not that I thought that Gotham was bad, I liked it, at least at the beginning, never finished it though.

But another show? About GPD? So soon? Really?

Batman FOREVERMORE-

The Boys is great, but it's sad how it's now come to the point where anti-hero superhero entertainment is the better written, produced over the plaid, worn out mainstream superhero flicks.  

I wonder if this superhero trend will die out peacefully or end with the absolute bottom of the barrel comic adaptations in a dumpster fire.

26 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The Boys is great, but it's sad how it's now come to the point where anti-hero superhero entertainment is the better written, produced over the plaid, worn out mainstream superhero flicks.  

I wonder if this superhero trend will die out peacefully or end with the absolute bottom of the barrel comic adaptations in a dumpster fire.

It will go the way of the western!

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It will go the way of the western!

That could be great! You know, thirty years from now there'll be the occasional superhero film that'll be evocative of an era long gone. 

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It's like the New Coke, it'll be around forever.

Coke Zero?

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

Why only 300?

it is hit his only film which works as a coherent narrative from start to finish.

Eventually cinema is about story telling. Cool images and shots are fine. What you should eventually be able to take away from a film is a consistent story from start to finish. Only 300 does that. Every film after that is fatally flawed. Some interesting things here and there but no other movie works as a complete movie. Man of steel comes closest but that movie is fatally flawed too.

Edit: this is such a basic failure that it is astounding. Even the bottom of barrel of marvel films at least manage to tell you a coherent story. You might not like the story - say Thor 2 - but they get the bare minimum done.

Interesting, TheUlyssesian, but I don't entirely share your views. What I ultimately want to be able to take away from a film is not so much a consistent story from start to finish, but being moved by what I'm looking at. In the end, that's what I will remember, not the story, but the expression, the emotions, the impression left on the retina. There are probably a gazillion movies with a more consistent story than Watchmen, but that's absolutely no reason for me to prefer every one of those movies. That being said, few movies are being set up to be viewed mainly on a sensory level. However, Alien is also such a movie, and because it's more consistent than either 300 or Watchmen, I do consider it superior.  

I think eventually that is what cinema is right - they call the director the auteur  in France. It is the skill and talent of the director to tell you a story, to grip you and compel you and involve you and move you - to take you through an experience by the end of it - to take you to a place from where you started. And everything in the movie feels like it is contributing to that in some way, to take you to the eventual destination that the director wants to take you too.

I never get that sense with Watchmen or with other Snyder movies. It just seems a randomized mish-mash of things that he finds cool or wants to throw it in. I don't detect coherence and a unity in vision or a true command of the story or tone or narrative.

I got all of these things in 300 - less than 2 hours long - but I did not in any of his other movies with BvS being the absolute worst where literally from scene to scene the movie barely made sense.

I think you could eventually lay this down to the actual script but that's skirting the issue. It is the director that eventually has to bring the movie home.

Snyder in some ways is more of an illustrator rather than a story-teller. He is excellent at creating individual moments but doesn't know how to unify them coherently into a gripping story that engages and interests the viewer. That seems like a fatal shortcoming to me.

Jeez, the new Batman trailer really looks like a piece of shit doesn’t it?

Who are you?” (Intended mis-quote)

I’m vengeance.”

*cringe*

But then again, I guess this movie isn’t really made for me, it’s made for the 13-20 year olds who’ve never seen a Batman movie in the theatres.

They say it closest thing to the Nolan's Batman universe since Nolan's trilogy. 

On 8/25/2020 at 6:00 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

Snyder in some ways is more of an illustrator rather than a story-teller. He is excellent at creating individual moments but doesn't know how to unify them coherently into a gripping story that engages and interests the viewer. That seems like a fatal shortcoming to me.

I think Snyder did succeed at doing that with his first three movies, just like Ridley Scott did with his first three movies (although many would fault BR for the things you fault Snyder). I don't really care for his DC stuff. There he wants to be someone he's not.