Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

No, not yet.  There's a tiny version outside the front of the building, like child sized, but the real deal isn't unveiled yet.

10 hours ago, Tallguy said:

That is so awesome. I wanted to go this year but Real Life keeps getting in the way.

I think I want to see that Jefferies tube more than anything. Every time it shows up on SNW I squeal.

BTW, listened to this today:

Fantastic! How did I not know that Fred Steiner wrote Perry Mason?!? AND Rocky and Bullwinkle!!!

When I see the Jefferies tube on STW I think 'There it is, the one bit of the Enterprise in this show that still looks the same!'  

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

When I see the Jefferies tube on STW I think 'There it is, the one bit of the Enterprise in this show that still looks the same!'  

It actually looks BETTER. I love the way SNW looks but if the whole show looked like the Jefferies tube (just like it used to but plus) I would figure out SOME way to move there. *swoon*

There's a shot in the last episode where you finally get to see several decks into the JT. It feels stupid to say, but I've been waiting my whole life to see that.

Damn. I might need to head to Ticonderoga sooner than I thought.

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE QQ:

Is the new and improved, all singing, all dancing DE available on DVD, or is it only on super-duper Blu Ray thing?

Probably only on Blu and above. And the all singing, all dancing is a Strange New Worlds thing. ;)

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE QQ:

Is the new and improved, all singing, all dancing DE available on DVD, or is it only on super-duper Blu Ray thing?

You can probably get a free trial subscription to Paramount+ and watch it for free

• 2 weeks later...

The Goldsmith Odyssey got to sit down with Jonathan Frakes and talk about Jerry! And Star Trek. And Jerry and Star Trek! Short but fun. (I've gotten spoiled by the three hour conversations with other folk.)

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/12350919-odyssey-interviews-jonathan-frakes

• 3 weeks later...

Something really weird I did that I have nowhere else to share it. It's in portuguese too, so I don't know exactly what I'm doing by posting it here.

Might as well update you all. Currently on Hotel Royale from TNG, I shouldn't have looked up how far I was from finishing it everything... Why so many 7-season shows? But I'm enjoying it so far, Season 2 starts out with a really weird episode, but so far it hasn't reached the worst TOS had to offer, don't understand how someone would jump to Season 3 straight away in their first watch, as there are multiple important episodes (based on my own judgment of "importance").

Because my mother finds TNG a bit slow (the characters/reaction), we started Lower Decks too, so every monday it was two episodes of TNG and one or two of Lower Decks right after, though there was multiple references that left us confused, sometimes we had just watched the episode LD was referencing (we watched Skin of Evil right before Armus cameo in LD).

Thought I connected with Mariner, Boimler, Tendi and Rutherford way faster then with anyone on the Enterprise-D crew, but Skin of Evil made me realise that maybe I cared way more than I realised... and then Polansky came aboard and started insulting Data every time she could and I hated her immediately, nobody touches Data! (Everybody touches Data...) Was their dynamic supposed to be reminiscent of McCoy and Spock? 'Cause I got annoyed by McCoy too, but to a lesser extent.

Does Deep Space 9 happen concurrently to TNG? If so, when does it start?

DS9 starts in Season 6. When you hear "There are four lights!" go watch DS9. (They don't overlap very much.)

Yes, Pulaski and Data was supposed to be McCoy and Spock. But Spock was tough and Data isn't, so it lands wrong.

Lower Decks is mostly a TNG show. When you're done you should go back and re-watch.

Yes, you have SO MANY YEARS of TNG era Trek to watch. I watched all of DS9 recently. (First time for a lot of it.) It's a lot. Then Voyager. Someday I'll watch that and Enterprise. Heck, I haven't finished all of Discovery.

Season 2 was when the show really started to turn around. Measure of a Man is decent contender for "When it started to get good". Heck, Arsenal of Freedom in season 1 wasn't terrible.

But season 3 was when they started firing on all cylinders.

6 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

My belief is that being a Star trek fan is understanding that it is equal parts awe and facepalm.

That's profound.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

That's profound.

Well, thanks :)

This is never shown more clearly than the episode Skin of Evil, where we get 30 minutes of utter stupidity, followed by 10 minutes of some of the best writing and acting on the whole series. Tahsa's eulogy was the first time I went whoa, there could be something special here.

Wow, hard disagree. The main story of Skin of Evil was indeed forgettable, but I thought the funeral scene was truly awful. Some of the worst television I have ever seen. I couldn’t watch the show any more after that.

• 3 weeks later...

There appears to be some confusion.

1 hour ago, Mr. Hooper said:

The thread fell below the "Star Trek is better than everything" thread, so I had to give it a bump!

image.gif

So I figured I'd post here and help out.

• 2 weeks later...

Did Lower Decks connected the Vendorians to that parasitic life form in TNG S01E25 (Conspiracy)? "Putting the eggs in the throat" thing reminded me of that episode... though I'm waiting for a return to that plot since I watched the episode.

There is some gorgeous stuff here. And it's two of my great loves: Star Trek and Blender!

On 23/10/2023 at 1:07 PM, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Did Lower Decks connected the Vendorians to that parasitic life form in TNG S01E25 (Conspiracy)?

I don't believe so.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

ENTERPRISE got better, as it went on. Avoid the very last episode.

Does anyone know what the differences are, between ST: TMP DE, and the new version?

I do. And I've gone on at length about it elsewhere. If you'd like I'll do it again. Watch the 2021 edition. Which is really easy to find now.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra:

Kadir beneath Mo Moteh: Kirk and Gorn at Cestus III

Sokath, his eyes uncovered: Gilgamesh and Enkidu at Uruk

(This is my new favorite episode of TNG so far!)

This has my vote as the single best episode of the franchise. It's a beautiful representation of everything Star Trek aspires to be, or at least used to - I can't imagine it getting written today. Stewart's performance is top-notch, and I always liked when they let Deanna be smart. Sirtis was underused on the show, but she has a nice moment at the start of this episode.

It’s always dangerous when I have to wait a while for something to arrive in the mail, for example Hook. I always end up getting a little trigger happy and spendy.

This time it was Star Trek. As of yesterday I only own Nemesis OST. I keep meaning to fix this and it keeps getting put off. Well I found an EBay deal for three OSTs for 18. Khan, Undiscovered Country and First Contact. Well, then it occurred to me that I have to get Insurrection so I at least have 8,9,10. So I bought that one for another 9. And I really should have Frontier as well. Now I’m just 1,3,4 and 7 away from owning all the original soundtrack releases.

Well but then I couldn’t stop thinking about the newest remasterings of TMP and WOK we just got… so I bought those too from SAE.

I am going to try to keep myself from buying more but one of these days Intrada is going to get a biiiig order from me with the complete 3,4,5 and 6 hitting the cart. I’m just hoping that day isn’t later today. Pray for me, JWFam

I've got the LLL 2-CD TMP and TWOK and the Intrada issues/reissues of 3-5.

Undiscovered Country...  I'd have to rewatch the film, but that score never really grabbed me as much as the first five did.  Maybe I'll get it one of these days.

5 hours ago, blondheim said:

It’s always dangerous when I have to wait a while for something to arrive in the mail, for example Hook. I always end up getting a little trigger happy and spendy.

This is what happens. This is how they get you.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently Jeff Bond is going to be putting out an updated Music of Star Trek at double the size. Looking forward to that! Might make up for not getting his new liner notes to the 1701 Editions of the TOS scores.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Andy said:

She's one of the best characters in Discovery, and I love that it will be a one and done movie.  Too many shows should've been just 2 hours.

Love Michelle Yeoh. Less enthused about the character.

I suppose I should finish the latest season of Disco. But then I should also finish Voyage and Enterprise. Someday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey fellow Canadians, remember 'Space: The Imagination Station' (now rebranded as 'CTV Sci-Fi Channel')?

34 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

The game was shit, but this commercial was pretty fun

I almost included that one. For the Sol Kaplan music if nothing else.

Three eps into Strange New Worlds Season 2... s' not bad. 3rd ep had me wondering if there are infinite Kirks across infinite alternate universes/timelines, and if so MAN that's a lot of banging with green alien ladies. lol.