Sony Classical to release Ultimate Star Wars Soundtrack Collection (January 8, 2016)

TownerFan

At this point, I'd have to imagine the Amazon listing is correct, meaning it contains the 1997 SEs again, and not the original LP configurations.

It appears to be so, yes. I got today the press release from Sony's Italy offices and it shows the same track listings as Amazon.com

Let's hope the Legacy Collection of Disney is an indication of their interest to see the classic film music released, including the Star Wars scores old and new. And not in the Sony way.

Let's hope the Legacy Collection of Disney is an indication of their interest to see the classic film music released, including the Star Wars scores old and new. And not in the Sony way.

Yes, it surely bodes well. Disney doesn't license out soundtrack rights for their own films nowadays (with the exception of some live-action production released under the Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures banner). They have an agreement with Intrada on some catalogue stuff , but that bodes as well, in my book.

Hopefully the labels attempt a bidding war with Disney over the rights, if for no other reason than to let them know how many companies would love getting their hands on the scores.

They'll never give it up to a specialty label considering the size of Disney Records and the brand itself, but it will reinforce the demand.

So, are we really paying $230 for 192kHz/24bit masters pressed on vinyls that won't even come close to that resolution or dynamic range? If the current vinyl hype is about the all analog chain, isn't wiser and cheaper to pan for gold on ebay (e.g. look for a good copy of the original vinyls)?

Me either.

Maybe I shouldn't write that, but I sincerely think I've already busted my budget allowed to Star Wars music, owning the original CDs, The anthology boxset and the SE editions.

I will pick the mp3s of the digital editon on the web.

Sorry, but the lemon can't be pressed aymore!

The next buyings concerning SW will be TFA CD and the original versions of the old movies on Bluray.

Does anyone know if this release will have the long sought after cue to the original grappling hook scene (with Luke's initial missed throw)?

I've never heard of such a cue.

Few have seen the scene, or heard the cue.

I count myself fortunate.

All the cues recorded were released on the 1997 SE set. The cue you're talking about was actually the first recorded.

Aye, lads. Only a few have been lucky enough to have gazed upon t' cue. A sight t' be hold it was! 'Twas shiverin' in me booties, I was! And then there I laid me eyes upon the scene! A true sight t' behold, indeed! And then, the kraken emerge from the waters deep, I had never seen such a beast! 'Twas a mile high into the sky, his head reaching up unto the heavens!

The best I'll do is buying the 192kHz/24bit versions of the OT OSTs based on the LPs' masters... if I'm in a good mood by january, that is :)

50 bucks for mp3s? That's against my religion.

10 $ for an album here and there, that's ok, but 50 $ at one time, and for Star Wars? Never.

If these new HD transfers of the LP Masters sounds great and they get a proper CD release in few years, well we maybe gonna talk.

Paying money for lossy audio files is against my religion!

Well that was for me few years ago... but when a CD is only available in the USA, that it cost as much in mail fee to get it that the cost of the CD itself... and when the mp3 on iTunes is at 9,99 $ CAN or less... and that's not a main or major album from the artist I collect (Aznavour, Orbison, Williams, etc)... Well, I fall.

For example, last week I bought the Davel Pell compilation "Remembers John Kirby/The Big Small Bands". At 9,99 $ CAN that's not disturbing just to satisfy my curiosity.

The best I'll do is buying the 192kHz/24bit versions of the OT OSTs based on the LPs' masters... if I'm in a good mood by january, that is :)

50 bucks for mp3s? That's against my religion.

10 $ for an album here and there, that's ok, but 50 $ at one time, and for Star Wars? Never.

If these new HD transfers of the LP Masters sounds great and they get a proper CD release in few years, well we maybe gonna talk.

I have yet to see a 192kHz/24bit lossy mp3. We can rest easy... they'll be in lossless FLAC and AIFF.

I'll pass. Even the high res downloads, which might otherwise be worthwhile, hold no interest for me if they're from the 1997 masters. Is there any clarity on this?

I'm rather surprised Sony, if they're too lazy to do anything new with the OT, isn't putting out the PT Complete Recordings just to sweeten the deal on this clunker given that this is likely their last shot on making money off these scores. The arm of TPM UE is indeed long if it can still reach us here in 2015.

Hopefully Disney will do this right one day.

As I understood, 192kHz/24bit versions will the LP programs. Not sure if they will use the LP masters or if they'll use the 1997 SE masters and edit it to create the LP programs. If the latter is true, I'll pass it too. If not, I have 3 months to decide...