Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

I think the thing about it is just that Giacchino's respect for Williams likely wouldn't allow him to be comfortable taking the job until he's gotten the official decline and blessing from the Maestro.

I can't imagine Williams just being left out of it altogether. While I agree that the chances of him actually scoring the upcoming films are probably pretty low, my feeling is that there will at least be some gesture of passing the torch to Giacchino.

But if Giacchino does it... will he record the score with the LSO?

If Giacchino scores the picture, I think we can be 99% positive he'll use the same players he's been using all these years. From the sound of things, he's quite attached to them.

George wants to make money and to hand off his legacy to a new generation.

At what point do people associate John Williams with a new generation?

I remember reading that Williams still gets offers from major commercial directors, but since 2005 has turned them all down. I mean, just ten years ago he was working for Roland Emmerich of all people. I guess a lot changes in ten years, but I'm not sure he's as irrelevant as you claim. Not that I expect him to score the film, of course, but an offer doesn't seem so outlandish.

If Giacchino scores the picture, I think we can be 99% positive he'll use the same players he's been using all these years. From the sound of things, he's quite attached to them.

I think that's a given. And I would bet money that if Williams did Episode VII, he'd use his L.A. session players as well. Kathleen Kennedy's not the kind of producer who forces composers on directors or 'encourages' them to record it where she prefers (unlike Lucas).

No one is going to ignore Williams. And while I think it's probably accurate that Abrams has the right by contract to assemble whichever creative team he wishes, including the composer, the notion that he wouldn't at least informally offer the project to Williams is probably inaccurate. Abrams was as big a fan of the original movies and the music as anyone.

Even if it's with the understanding that Williams will refuse, I believe the offer will come to him. He'll pass, and Gia will do it. What's more interesting to me is whether they'll use any tracked Williams music during the opening scroll or the first minutes of the end credits as a kind of tribute (or for consistency), before segueing into Gia's music.

I just can't imagine them screwing around with that. The opening crawl and iris out music are part of the package, and devoted fans like Abrams and Giacchino aren't going to change that. If Lucas, who was more than happy to muck around with things, ended up not going with a new crawl for the prequels, are Abrams and Giacchino really going to do anything like that with the sequels?

I just can't imagine them screwing around with that. The opening crawl and iris out music are part of the package, and devoted fans like Abrams and Giacchino aren't going to change that. If Lucas, who was more than happy to muck around with things, ended up not going with a new crawl for the prequels, are Abrams and Giacchino really going to do anything like that with the sequels?

Oh, I agree that Williams composition for the opening crawl will remain...I'm just wondering whether Gia (if it's indeed him) will record his own version of it or they'll just track in one of William's recordings.

Hmmmm....did they track in William's Superman march for the 2006 movie, or did John Ottman record his own version of it (which I assume is what happened). Anyone? I know Singer offered the job to Williams initially.

Ottman recorded his own version

Thanks. I'm guessing this is what Gia (or whoever) will do with the Star Wars Main Title. But perhaps they'll track in Williams, who knows.

what consistency?

the OT used a different rendition for every film

I understand...but as far as I know all those renditions were conducted by Williams and performed by the LSO. We're talking about one of the most iconic (and recognisable) pieces of music in film history. There's a certain sound associated with that main title that people have come to expect when they see the scroll, and I was just speculating on whether, for whatever reason (consistency, a homage to Williams, sentiment, whatever), they might choose to keep it. Yes, I believe it unlikely, but stranger things have happened, director's sometimes make odd choices when editing a score. Just one of many questions I have about the choices they'll make for these films.

I hope they do new recordings of the main title for each film. It was disappointing to have TPM tracked into AOTC and ROTS.

Wait,"each film"?

When did this evolve into a multiple pictures thing? Or are you just (rightfully) assuming Disney will milk this until the end of days?

The decision of who's going to score is probably all up to John Williams. Giacchino really respects him and would only score it if John Williams himself declines.

Yes.

And Williams will be so generous to give him the job.

Not interested.

I think they announced at least three new films (or something like that).

They announced a new trilogy. And they said they hoped to keep the franchise going for the generations to come.

I'm excited for the moment, because anything is possible regarding the story, the music... When the first pictures, videos and script infos are going to be released, my excitement will probably be quite tempered...

Like Steef in an Alice induced obsession...

I'm excited for the moment, because anything is possible regarding the story, the music... When the first pictures, videos and script infos are going to be released, my excitement will probably be quite tempered...

I started to write a short sketch with story ideas for fun, as if I were the script writer for the film, and I realized just what you're saying.

At some point in the future I'll start going "no, not like that!!"

I always fall in the same cycle of illusion-disappointment, and it's impossible to get rid of it.

Regarding the main title...I thought about that, but if Giacchino gets the job, I'd be surprised if there isn't a fresh recording of the main title. Probably with no real modifications to the arrangement, but it would still fit better into this new sonic universe than a recording of a different orchestra with a different recording crew in a different hall on a different continent in a different millennium.

There has to be a fresh recording, if only to set the "tone" of the orchestra, its players, the music and the mixing, and match it to what Williams established.

Giacchino probably already has the prequel recording sessions on his iPod.

I feel none. Show me a trailer. Then I might even consider going to see this.

Didn't George already write the outlines of the story back in the '70s? Or is Disney free to take it wherever they want?