Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Is Cumberbatch happy to have become the go-to-guy for all things English villainy?

ironically his most famous work (and why he is getting jobs today) is for impersonating sherlock holmes.. which is anything but evil...

doesnt that word means something like 'acting like some other person'?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/impersonate

Hmmm maybe the common use is to act like other people so supplant identity... sorry then. :P

On a comedy show like Saturday Night Live, where comedians are playing fictional versions of real life people, that would be the proper usage of impersonating. For Cumberbatch, he is portraying a fictional character, i.e. Sherlock Holmes. I suppose by definition, impersonate would also work for the this usage, but it is not used that way by society.

I don't buy the Cumberbatch rumor, and I'll be disappointed if it turns out to be true. It's not that I dislike the guy or anything, but sharing a director with Star Trek is enough. Let's at least let the cast stay separate.

I don't buy the Cumberbatch rumor, and I'll be disappointed if it turns out to be true. It's not that I dislike the guy or anything, but sharing a director with Star Trek is enough. Let's at least let the cast stay separate.

At least they don't share a composer. That would be the worst.

I think Zimmer on Star Wars is the only thing that could make me not like a Star Wars movie.

I think Star Wars is unique with reference to the music and how people treat it. You can get away with a lot when it comes to movies and music, but not Star Wars. John Williams' music for the scores is almost a religion. It's almost impossible to say that about any other film or series, with the exception of perhaps Lord of the Rings. Not sure you can get with completely changing the musical landscape at this point. It is too a part of the mythos.

My fear is that Abrams ignores the past storylines and introduces some lame black hole time rift subplot where the classic characters have minor cameos to pass the torch to their young look alike characters having no regard for plot holes or the storyline canon. You'll see something terrible such as elderly Solo telling his young self who won't recognize him "hey kid...may the force be with you."

The Classic characters won't have big roles. Thank God. i want this to be it's own thing. Not an OT love in. I love all 6 films, I own numerous copies of each. I've read tonnes of EU. I want something new.

I think Zimmer on Star Wars is the only thing that could make me not like a Star Wars movie.

I think Star Wars is unique with reference to the music and how people treat it. You can get away with a lot when it comes to movies and music, but not Star Wars. John Williams' music for the scores is almost a religion. It's almost impossible to say that about any other film or series, with the exception of perhaps Lord of the Rings. Not sure you can get with completely changing the musical landscape at this point. It is too a part of the mythos.

Someone needs to re-score the Asteroid Field with this:

:P

My fear is that Abrams ignores the past storylines and introduces some lame black hole time rift subplot where the classic characters have minor cameos to pass the torch to their young look alike characters having no regard for plot holes or the storyline canon. You'll see something terrible such as elderly Solo telling his young self who won't recognize him "hey kid...may the force be with you."

Nah, not gonna happen, fortunately. It was a reasonable thing to try with Star Trek, but it wouldn't have a place in Star Wars, and the people working on it know that.

Nah, not gonna happen, fortunately. It was a reasonable thing to try with Star Trek, but it wouldn't have a place in Star Wars, and the people working on it know that.

I sure hope so.

Of course, my comment was referring to the fact that before Man Of Steel was made, people were like: "They wouldn't dare not use Williams' theme. People will be pissed if they don't use it". And what happened? The Big Z did his own thing, and most of the average moviegoers didn't give a shit about Williams' theme not being used. In fact, most of the average moviegoers seem to like The Big Z's theme just as much, if not more than William's theme.

So just don't think that they wouldn't dare do with Star Wars what they did with Superman. Nothing is certain anymore.

Of course, for the moment, Williams is still attached to Star Wars. But once we'll have reached Episode XXIV and Williams will be long dead, anything can happen...

Really? You're worried about the musical integrity of Star Wars films that will come out twenty years from now? Please, consider seeing a psychiatrist about that anxiety. Life is seriously too short for this crap.

After Abrams rejects Williams, he should at least consider Zimmer, especially if Jakeenoe is unavailable. Star Wars is (over)due for a musical facelift, and Zimmer is at the top of his game right now.

Of course, my comment was referring to the fact that before Man Of Steel was made, people were like: "They wouldn't dare not use Williams' theme. People will be pissed if they don't use it". And what happened? The Big Z did his own thing, and most of the average moviegoers didn't give a shit about Williams' theme not being used. In fact, most of the average moviegoers seem to like The Big Z's theme just as much, if not more than William's theme.

So just don't think that they wouldn't dare do with Star Wars what they did with Superman. Nothing is certain anymore.

Of course, for the moment, Williams is still attached to Star Wars. But once we'll have reached Episode XXIV and Williams will be long dead, anything can happen...

"The average moviegoers" don't give a shit about any film scores period. That is no argument for Zimmer, nor is it one against Williams. The Big Z can get away with doing "his own thing" because most people simply don't care either way. And in my book, score and film aren't two separate entities, and the film as a whole got mediocre response.

"The average moviegoers" don't give a shit about any film scores period.

Not consciously, but subconsciously the music can have a big impact on even the average movie goer