Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Disney has not released any 4K Blu rays yet.  Only Universal, Paramount, Fox, Sony, WB, and Lionsgate have I think

• 1 month later...

I saw that that deleted Chewie scene was going around on social media yesterday, but hasn't it been available since the blu ray came out in November?

It's the same as this, right?

On 10/18/2016 at 4:21 PM, Fennel Ka said:

This clip has indeed been out since November, but it wasn't posted in full to YouTube until yesterday. 

So this was the first time people like me who didn't buy the 3D BR (or, uh, procure it in other ways) could watch it.

I'm sure the moment the blu ray hit, the deleted scenes were all over youtube - of course, Disney has them all taken down before too long.

in fact, the upload BB used is already taken down.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm sure the moment the blu ray hit, the deleted scenes were all over youtube - of course, Disney has them all taken down before too long.

in fact, the upload BB used is already taken down.

Well, if they were there I must have missed them.

EDIT: I see that Fennel Ka agrees.

• 2 weeks later...

Pablo Hidalgo from the Lucasfilm Story Group revealed a bunch of new little details on GL's treatment a while back on Twitter! It's practically a goldmine to people like me who crave every little tidbit. 

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/george-lucas-and-the-mystery-of-the-treatment.50014197/page-320#post-53986061

A couple of the most interesting tidbits: Apparently there was only one brief treatment for the entire ST, with no clear dividers for episodes. Snoke and Ren apparently evolved out of Lucas's characters (and we already knew Rey and Finn did). And there were pirates. However, the First Order apparently wasn't really GL's idea (funnily enough, it's one of the least inventive parts of the story). 

We also know as I saw pointed out recently that "relic hunting" seemed to possibly be a theme of GL's treatment, judging by the art book (although we can't be sure that art reflected his ideas), and with old Jedi Temples, Vader's helmet, etc., we've already gotten a taste of that, and there may be a lot more to come with Luke. 

Hidalgo compared reading the GL treatment vs. the final film to reading  this vs. the final ANH (i.e. you can see the evolution but it's very different). 

4 hours ago, Will said:

Is it possible that photo was actually from a new TLJ session and they got the hashtag wrong? Seems weird to post a random photo from the TFA sessions.

That's Mark Graham, right?

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Is it possible that photo was actually from a new TLJ session and they got the hashtag wrong? Seems weird to post a random photo from the TFA sessions.

That's what I wondered myself. But they do often post random old photos, it seems.

• 3 weeks later...

Tweet_Fan @Tweet_Fan2 
@pablohidalgo You told us many times Rey was created by George Lucas but you never mentioned Kylo who is the legacy character.

Pablo Hidalgo @pablohidalgo 
@Tweet_Fan2 George created a young woman who wished to become a Jedi. Kylo is an evolution and amalgam of character ideas

Adam Kruszynski @KruszynskiAdam 
@pablohidalgo Art of Talon in the TFA Art Book seems to appear in February 2013. When did she stop being used for Ep VII?

@KruszynskiAdam Probably around March. When the "Jedi Killer" started to take more shape.

Star Wars Liker @StarWarsLiker 
@pablohidalgo who came up with the starkiller?

@StarWarsLiker

(large photo)

Spoiler

[IMG]

Starting to seem like all the ideas that people said were a rehash weren't from Lucas. First Order, Starkiller Base, etc. 

Which isn't surprising, of course. And perhaps Lucas' ideas were total crap anyway, who knows. 

I hope we get to read the whole treatment some day, though...

Pretty much matches with my own opinion as well

I like TFA quite a bit, but my immediate response was: "Honest Trailers and How It Should Have Ended are going to have a field day with this one!"

And they totally did. ;)

Whatever can be said about TFA, original it is not.

My biggest hope is that they've got the "remake-itus" out of their system now and can do something at least slightly more new and interesting.

58 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

My biggest hope is that they've got the "remake-itus" out of their system now and can do something at least slightly more new and interesting.

Me too, except I hope its SIGNIFICANTLY more new and interesting, not just slightly more.

I'm sure a lot of it will feel familiar in terms of following the "hero's journey" beats and where they take characters like Rey and Kylo Ren, thematically. But I'm at least hoping for some unique world-building and locales compared to TFA, which deliberately covered a lot of the same ground as the OT. And hopefully a more interesting objective for the villains than yet another doomsday device.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Me too, except I hope its SIGNIFICANTLY more new and interesting, not just slightly more.

That would indeed be preferred! :D

I'm also hoping for something that doesn't replicate the "Batman song" from The LEGO Movie (e.g. "darkness, darkness and more darkness with some darkness sprinkled on top for good measure").

Best case scenario from me:

- Rey is NOT related to anyone important

- Snoke is NOT a character we already knew

- Luke does NOT die

- Kylo Ren turns to the light side

If more than one of those fits the final movie, I am going yo be VERY surprised!

52 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I'm sure a lot of it will feel familiar in terms of following the "hero's journey" beats and where they take characters like Rey and Kylo Ren, thematically. But I'm at least hoping for some unique world-building and locales compared to TFA, which deliberately covered a lot of the same ground as the OT. And hopefully a more interesting objective for the villains than yet another doomsday device.

Since there was no doomsday device in ESB, I'm sure there won't be one in TLJ.

32 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Since there was no doomsday device in ESB, I'm sure there won't be one in TLJ.

So what you are saying is that TLJ needs a doomsday device of its own so it can be seen as being different from ESB. 

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why do you want Kylo Ren to become a good guy?

Because it would be unexpected.

And because I want him killing Han Solo to be a mistake of his that he ends up regretting.

Of course I know that's unlikely to happen.

But it is what is hope for.

20 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Vader didn't turn (back) to the good side? ;)

Only at the very end and only when pushed very far.

I'd like him to realise it by himself and then stay alive for a while afterwards.

Then he can rescue the next character to fall to the dark side.

I'm sure a very interesting story could be made out of that.

It is also never going to happen. It would make the Dark Side seem to be not permanent enough.

On 2/21/2017 at 4:38 PM, Pieter_Boelen said:

Only at the very end and only when pushed very far.

I'd like him to realise it by himself and then stay alive for a while afterwards.

Then he can rescue the next character to fall to the dark side.

I'm sure a very interesting story could be made out of that.

It is also never going to happen. It would make the Dark Side seem to be not permanent enough.

Actually, I'm not so sure that we can count out this possibility. George Lucas has said this about his sequel trilogy (most of these comments were made a while ago - 80s, I think - and Lucas may well have revised his ideas significantly since, but you'd think a lot of the basics still remained when he handed his short sequel trilogy treatment to Disney a few years ago).

The sequels, the three films that would follow Jedi, are considerably vaguer. Their main theme will be the necessity for moral choices & the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong.

But he has only a vague notion of what will happen in the three films of the sequel? In the sequel Luke would be a sixty-year-old Jedi knight. Han Solo and Leia would be together? The sequel focuses mainly on Luke, and Lucas says Mark Hamill will have first crack at the part if he is old enough. "If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves," Lucas says, "Star Wars is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems... The sequel is about Jedi knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned."

And early in the Force Awakens concept art book, there's a painting of a "Jedi killer" (which evolved into Kylo Ren) holding a lightsaber with one end blue and the other red, showing the struggle between light and dark. 

While of course Lucas has claimed that his story ideas were thrown out, that's not true according to Pablo Hidalgo of the Lucasfilm Story Group - rather, the treatment was used as a starting point for continued development (for instance, he has said it was Lucas' idea to have the trilogy be about a young woman who wants to become a Jedi). 

So it's plausible that this theme of moral ambiguity could have carried into the final films that are being made, and specifically into Kylo Ren's character (I was reading a complaint about how Kylo Ren was too "on the verge" and not clearly evil enough once, and it just kind of clicked that maybe, just maybe, this could be a major theme of the trilogy, one that came from Lucas' treatment). 

Or this could still be a theme of the trilogy even if Lucasfilm came up with it entirely independently of Lucas, who knows. 

Obviously this is all somewhat wild speculation, of course, but that's the fun of being a Star Wars fan. ;)

On 1-3-2017 at 0:25 AM, Will said:

So it's plausible that this theme of moral ambiguity could have carried into the final films that are being made, and specifically into Kylo Ren's character (I was reading a complaint about how Kylo Ren was too "on the verge" and not clearly evil enough once, and it just kind of clicked that maybe, just maybe, this could be a major theme of the trilogy, one that came from Lucas' treatment). 

I'm certainly game for that!

Kylo Ren being another "pure nasty evil" character is a bit "been there, done that".

We wouldn't truly want him to be "Darth Vader the Second", would we?

After arguably "the best villain ever", how can you follow that up?

Surely NOT by getting to do the same thing again, right?

Yeah, I mean, even Vader was far from purely evil by the end of ROTJ. But I don't think he faltered at all in ANH. Whereas Ren, in his first film, has already been established as very weak. 

This is an old tweet but it reminds me of something very interesting to consider:

This indicates that perhaps the New Republic wasn't really Lucas' idea. And we already know that the First Order wasn't really his idea either. 

Now, we already know that the general story of the trilogy has seemingly stayed intact from his treatment -- a young woman's journey to becoming a Jedi. 

But then what the hell was the "backdrop" in his treatment? Maybe it was like, "The rebuilding Republic is threatened by pirates and other factions from lawless areas of the galaxy"?

We do know there were pirates in his story.