Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Then don't. You don't need to rebuy your entire DVD collection. 

I future proof my collection by buying combo packs. Unless I think there's a better version coming out or the movie isn't available in combo format.

8 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I hate double dipping too :P

Only own one edition of a score release, then? You only own one Empire Strikes Back album? One Raiders CD? 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

What shop is this that actually still sells physical media?

Best Buy

1 hour ago, Drax said:

Thin selection of new crap.

Wild, Life of Pi, Mad Max 4, and The Martian are all excellent movies!

15 hours ago, Quintus said:

Only own one edition of a score release, then? You only own one Empire Strikes Back album? One Raiders CD? 

If i can evade it yes. BTW I only own the Special edition scores from the OT.

I dont buy re-mastered re-releases of soundtracks anyway which is more or less the same as upgrading from regular ed. DVD to a regular ed. BD. (i dont have much use for special features...i'm only interested on deleted scenes if any.)

Score collecting is rather expensive for me to add to that film collecting.

10 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

If i can evade it yes. BTW I only own the Special edition scores from the OT.

I dont buy re-mastered re-releases of soundtracks anyway which is more or less the same as upgrading from regular ed. DVD to a regular ed. BD. (i dont have much use for special features...i'm only interested on deleted scenes if any.)

Score collecting is rather expensive for me to add to that film collecting.

Refreshing. 

Look guys, the moment DVD players and discs are not being produced anymore I will change format. If i skipped one or two new formats in the meantime, that's money well "not" spent.

I like special features, but of all my dvds (which I own several special editions) i have seldom watched them. I honestly don't have the time for it...

I'm just more surprised that you have a player that old that still works.  We seem to have to replace our player every few years (of course, we buy the cheapest player we can find, so vs one large payment up front it probably nets out financially).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2016 at 4:53 PM, Stefancos said:

Interesting. I can see why they dropped it though.

I'm thinking that perhaps the opening scene music we heard in the 60 Minutes clip was written for an opening with Luke's hand, which I think would be followed by the village attack scene in that version of the film. 

• 1 month later...

For some reason (I wanted to like it?) I rewatched it and still found a very major drop in interest between the fun first act and the final duel. To top it off the film also still doesn't manage to interest me on the Starkiller or the search for Luke, like it just does that because and that's the end of it.

13 hours ago, Brónach said:

For some reason (I wanted to like it?) I rewatched it and still found a very major drop in interest between the fun first act and the final duel. To top it off the film also still doesn't manage to interest me on the Starkiller or the search for Luke, like it just does that because and that's the end of it.

Now that the dust has settled, for home entertainment purposes I give The Force Awakens 3.5 out of 5.

• 1 month later...

And all the releases will have different extras. Maybe they should release parts of the same featurettes on separate releases?

To continue watching this documentary, buy...

Karol

Awesome, think it was pretty obvious they withheld deleted scenes from the last release for an inevitable extended cut/double dip.

Hopefully this means more unreleased music in the deleted scenes... And an isolated score down the line. ;)

If the other deleted scenes are anything like the deleted scenes on the first Blu-ray, I'll pass.

It's the Abrams commentary I'm most interested in, but certainly not interested enough to spend $20-30 which is what this will cost at release.  I'll pick it up on sale in a few years on the cheap, or not at all.

Of course, the commentary could be mostly fluff (like the docs on the Blu-ray), so maybe not worth anything at all.

When the trilogy is complete, they'll probably release all three in a pack, including the Abrams commentary. Then but only then I would probably buy the movie again.

23 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

This is both good and bad. It sounds like a great release and I'm excited for it. At the same time, I don't have Blu-ray so if the commentary and deleted scenes aren't available on DVD or digital then I'm seemingly out of luck. Also, even if they are available to me, I just bought TFA (digitally)! I'm not sure whether it's worth paying up again.

I presume any interesting Williams info/music discovered on the release will be available here anyway. Still, it may be too tempting....

The deleted scenes will surely be on YouTube, at least for a few days and there will at least be articles breaking down the highlights and talking points from Abrams' commentary, with quotes. Would be nice if that ends up online too, though, as I'll probably not be buying this.

11 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I can't think of anything more painful than listening to JJ Abrams talk over a Star Wars movie for 2.5 hours. 

Listening George Lucas talk over talk over one.  Also, Ben Burtt.