Who was worse: Karen Allen in KOTCS or Carrie Fisher in TFA?

Who was worse: Karen Allen in KOTCS or Carrie Fisher in TFA?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who was worse: Karen Allen in KOTCS or Carrie Fisher in TFA?

• Karen Allen in KOTCS
    • Carrie Fisher in TFA
    • You're an asshole

I have a feeling Carrie Fisher will win this battle, but in defense of Karen Allen, at least she sort of sounded like an older Marion Ravenwood as opposed to a completely different person with mush mouth.

I think they both did well with what they were given.  Crystal Skull didn't really have any reason for Allen to be there, nor did it have anything for her to do besides go along for the journey.  Fisher was given a supporting role that worked in the film, so her performance worked better.

Carrie Fisher sounded one way in the 1970s and another way in the 2010s.  The character Leia aged the same amount.  I had no problem with the way she sounded in TFA.

While seeing The Force Awakens I wondered if another actress of that age could have played the part. While seeing Crustal Skull I wondered if someone else could've written that and I didn't even focused con Allen much because the thing was broken before that.

I had no problem with Allen. She looked, sounded and acted like she had in previous Indy films. But I struggled to see Leia in Force Awakens properly. She doesn't even look like herself any more, so I found myself thinking "okay, that is Leia, that is Leia." At least Hamill and Ford actually look 30 years older than the last time we saw them in the Saga, yet Fisher looks and sounds like another actress.

3 hours ago, Brónach said:

While seeing The Force Awakens I wondered if another actress of that age could have played the part. While seeing Crustal Skull I wondered if someone else could've written that and I didn't even focused con Allen much because the thing was broken before that.

I don't think either character was written well (I think the Han/Leia conversations are the worst scripted in TFA), though I agree that Marion was written worse. I also agree that the story didn't need her. For me, Allen still did better than Fisher however.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Fisher is actually fine for the most part. Though better when she's acting opposite Harrison Ford then anyone else.

I believed her though, when she did "The Force will be with you" line.

Is that what she said? I thought she said "mesh thesh forsh be wish yoush" 

I guess I believed her when she "sensed"

Spoiler

Han's death on the Starkiller base,

but that's pretty much it.

Even that could probably be better. Not sure it's all her fault (as opposed to the script), but Leia is easily the weakest link of returning OT characters/plot elements.

They probably changed the script at the last minute when Fisher wasn't available and had Sean dub over her.

"It's perfect JJ baby, no one will ever notisch!"

Ignoring the ageist/sexist agenda of the thread, I found Karen Allen far more uncomfortable to watch in KotCS, but not because of anything she did wrong. Spielberg and the script were at fault there. 

I'll be interested to see how Carrie Fisher fares in the next Star Wars movie. She didn't stand out to me much in TFA, as much as I'd hoped she would. 

Both roles are a bit "Yes, fans of the old movies, it's me again!"

There's something embarrassingly self-aware about their performance. They don't disappear into the characters. Ford too had a moment like this when he had to say that "Yes, you new generation sitting there in the theatre, it's true, all of it" line.

Alex

I suspect the best of the returning actors from the OT is going to be Mark Hamill anyways.

I wanted more from Leia, but on the other hand sometimes I felt the previously existing characters were cluttering a film meant for the new ones.

The only Ford scene that really didn't work was the face-off with his wretched filius but Ford, bless him, isn't Sir Alec. To give him these awful un-Fordian lines is a punishment unworthy of Han Solo.

Lol I actually do think that Hamill's lack of film roles has been deliberate on his part, at least in the last 25 years. Probably did get a lot of really bad offers through the 80s, but he seems like the type to avoid the limelight and his voice career has been rather successful as far as that goes. I respect the guy, he seems to be enjoying fame on his own terms and you look at his IMDb and he's been working non-stop, which is at least more than Hayden Christensen can say. :unsure:

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Its good!

The line is self-referential and in a revering way which makes it swollen (made worse by J.J.''s bloated registration of the moment) but somehow Ford managed to limit the damage. A weaker persona/actor would have made the room laugh (just imagine if they ask Leia that question). What can I say, it's not my kinda Star Wars. My Han Solo would have never said that line. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. He's the counterweight that's necessary to prevent things from becoming self-important. I guess the movie is giving that task to other characters now (Finn). 

Alex

Ford is a fantastic actor, and was one of the best parts of the film. I was amazed by how easy he went into the EXACT role he left more than 30 years ago (just as grumpy and confused as back then). The "it's all true" scene was one of the best scenes in the film, and with the Force theme in the background, it was one of the times I got a throat lump.

Thank you!

That scene actually showed that time had not stood still and that the experiences of the OT, and the 30 years after that have given Han a different perspective.

It's sad if some people still want Han to only be the scoundrel that shot first.

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

The "it's all true" scene was one of the best scenes in the film, and with the Force theme in the background, it was one of the times I got a throat lump.

What can I say, I detest cheap sentiment.

Didn't you also love The Crystal Skull by any chance?