So Close Encounters of the Third Kind 40th Anniversary is this year, think we will get it complete this year?

RICHARDSTRAUSS68

Ach! You all come back to me when you have something definitive! I need confirmed intel! All this speculation is too tantalizing!

2 hours ago, Richard said:

A complete release of all three current versions, would be good. I miss Carl Weathers.

It does exist.

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 1:04 PM, crumbs said:

As for non-Potter expansions, Williams dropped that hint about revisiting Amistad recently. With 40 minutes unreleased (and who knows how many alternates?) that seems ripe for a 20th Anniversary expansion.

I seems like Williams himself is bothered by the fact that so much music is still unreleased (at least the way you expressed it, implies that). Does the JW JP collection indicate the turning point of William's opinion on that issue?

I don't know about that release specifically the work MM has done on all his recent Williams expansions seems to indeed have made Williams more keen to release his scores in complete form, as long as Matessino oversees them and he knows they will be done right.

3 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

What the hell's wrong with them?

What the hell's going on, around here?

Who the hell are you people?!

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

It does exist.

Ohh! Where? Link, pretty-please, with strawberries and cream! :)

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Ohh! Where? Link, pretty-please, with strawberries and cream! :)

Where do you come from? At least there is a german Blu-ray that contains all versions.

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Still better than a "No!"

"I don't know" and "maybe" are always used to avoid "yes".

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

I know that, Seth, thank you. My question is: is there a "mega-version" of CE3K, that contains all footage, from all three versions? 

My thought us "no", but I could be wrong.

You're right.:(

I don't need a "complete film release". When I wanna watch Close Encounters I take either the theatrical or the director's version. I just need a "complete score release".

Luckily there are no Varese Sarabande issues as with Goldsmith. The only Williams score that VS could expand is Presumed Innocent.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Well, I would like a combination of the theatrical version and the director's cut, but the end of the special edition can be dropped. It undermines my fantasy.

Agreed. It's a totally gratuitous scene -although beautifully scored by the maestro.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Well, I would like a combination of the theatrical version and the director's cut, but the end of the special edition can be dropped. It undermines my fantasy.

Isnt that essentially what the third cut is?

Additionally the special edition drops the forming of the mountain in the living room. It's just there at once!

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Isnt that essentially what the third cut is?

The director's cut is like a step back to the theatrical version with some minor differences. It focuses more on the mental problems Dreyfuss' character has, but a few scenes from the theatrical version do not appear. The special edition, however, is the worst of them, it just serves for delivering great new music.

12 minutes ago, Quintus said:

So what was wrong with the Collector's Edition album again? It's the copy I own, and I've always been completely satisfied with it. 

It's not complete, no bonus, no OST - sell it before it will be nullified by La-La Land.

Those are some of my favourite parts. I've always loved Williams in military mode, it's one of his most distinctive sounds. Journey to the Island has a legendary segment just after the helicopter touches down, for example. I like it when Williams tells the audience shit is getting real. 

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

Those are some of my favourite parts. I've always loved Williams in military mode, it's one of his most distinctive sounds. Journey to the Island has a legendary segment just after the helicopter touches down, for example. I like it when Williams tells the audience shit is getting real. 

You mean when they drive to the main building in the jeeps?

On 13/07/2017 at 11:43 PM, Quintus said:

So what was wrong with the Collector's Edition album again? It's the copy I own, and I've always been completely satisfied with it. 

It's the most complete version available, and it's a damn fine listen!

Seth's right; there's no OST, no INSIDE THE MOTHERSHIP, and no THEME FROM CE3K, but, hey-ho.

Tbh, there's not much more music to be released - THE 11TH COMMANDMENT being the most obvious - but it would be nice to have a new remaster.

Damn! Now I want to listen to the thing!