E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

On 21/10/2017 at 5:10 PM, Jay said:

Missing bits? No.  CONTENT WISE, both are complete AND 100% the exact same takes as each other, the only difference is disk 2 / album version has the overlay and disk 1 version doesn't.

SOUND "QUALITY" WISE, they are from completely different sources.  The Disk 2 version is sourced from the 1/4" album master MM found in London of the already edited and mastered album track as was prepared in 1982, while the disk 1 version is completely rebuilt from scratch by MM from a 2017 192/24 digital transfer of the original session elements.

Only you can decide which version you prefer, sound wise.

Can you explain to humans that difference of the "overlay" between the two versions?

It's a couple of french horn notes at the very front of the mix.  Very notable.  That's it.

I believe it's at exactly 12:42 below.  Hope this video is available in Canada.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I believe it's at exactly 12:42 below.  Hope this video is available in Canada.

It is not.

Well again, was it on the 2002 MCA or will it be the first time I hear the horns next year?

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

It is not.

Well again, was it on the 2002 MCA or will it be the first time I hear the horns next year?

For @Bespin as well.

This video should be available outside the US?

Horn overlay is at exactly 37:46 (just press play)

It's always been listed very clearly in the spreadsheet, Bespin.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT0E9cHkK-SqctUuLKYjNov1cm3DB7Dol3CCfQqmXPJUbNqwIrwdNTtn4FqV212S-3e_GltYaEDIUM8/pubhtml

The horn overlay plays at 12:42 of the original OST track "Adventure On Earth" or 4:38 on the LLL disc 2 "The Departure (Alternate)", and is missing on all other CD versions as well as all versions of the film itself at that same spot.

It's just two extra notes.

As I drove to work this morning I listened to tracks 3,4,5, 6, and 7 of the original E.T. soundtrack. It was still pitch dark outside. In essence it was the dark test. The score passed beyond all measure.

Call me crazy, call me old-fashioned, but I was able to burn a completely readable audio CD of CD1 plus the three film tracks from CD2 (The Encounter, The Kiss and Levitation). It clocks at exactly 81:15 mins and it plays perfectly all the way to the end even with my beat up but very functional Sony Discman from 1995.

This implies it was just dialed out,  the scene it was written for is (a) not in any version of the movie and (b) a terrible scene rightfully deleted from the final cut.  So yeah, it stays in the bonuses for me.

I generally defer to the album producer on these complete releases.  No blanket rules.  For E.T. specifically, I agreed with the producer that "Levitation" doesn't belong in the main program.  Personal decision, obviously.

I think disc 1 is Williams' intent. :) 

Like I said, no blanket rules.  For me, E.T. as it is in the final film is the greatest score ever recorded and that's what I want to listen to.  No bonuses or deleted scenes.

It only has 40 secs, it fitted nicely into the already expanded capacity of a CD-R (you gotta love these old tech terms :) ) together with the other two cues, which actually are in the film, so I saw no problem in throwing it in. I mean, If the scene got to a point where the composer wrote and recorded a music for it, so I believe it was seriously considered to be in the film since the beggining and was edited out at latter stages, probably a last minute thing.

I reckon if the scene was included in the film far enough into the pipeline that Williams not only wrote the cue but recorded it, then it should be part of the listening experience.

Absolutely 100% agree with crumbs.

The fact a scene is deleted from a final cut of the film or not has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not its part of the composer's narrative.  It is.

My Main Program is:

Added The Encounter,The Kiss and Levitation to main score

Added E.T. Adventure , E.T. and Me and Over the Moon as concert versions after the End Credits

Also added a rip of the Overture

13 minutes ago, king mark said:

Added E.T. Adventure , E.T. and Me and Over the Moon as concert versions after the End Credits

I did something similar except I put the BPO "Stargazers" at the end of the playlist instead of the OST "ET and Me" 

23 hours ago, rough cut said:

In what meaning did they “pass”?

I hope not sound quality-wise as that would be hard to assess in a car (unless the car is standing still).

As a new poster you may be unaware of the "dark test" which is a term I first used here about the turn of the century. It involves listened to a score in the dark. The dark test likits other sensory exposure. In the car Monday it was dark outside and I was by myself. The ride to work was peaceful and uneventful except for this magnificent work of art whichstill stirs the soul 35 years later.  Sound quality is irrelevant to me.

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

People still burn CD-R? :blink:

Yes, for my parents. They don't have digital audio players in their cars and I'm not going to show them how to listen to such crap on their phones. 

10 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

As a new poster you may be unaware of the "dark test" which is a term I first used here about the turn of the century. It involves listened to a score in the dark. The dark test likits other sensory exposure. In the car Monday it was dark outside and I was by myself. The ride to work was peaceful and uneventful except for this magnificent work of art whichstill stirs the soul 35 years later.  Sound quality is irrelevant to me.

Joe cares only about music quality. Sound quality is something only lesser fans talk about.

Sure, driving and listening to music can be a satisfying experience, but using it as a kind of test, that a remastered cd should have to pass...

I mean, if the purpose of that test would be to test the experience/musical quality of the OST, I guess it would be fine, but I enterpret this to be in regards to the remastered CD.

But that experience would be more or less the same as the original CD, especially in a car, be it dark or not.

Or maybe I’m missing something?

Yeah, I think the real test is whether it survives what I call "The Frisbee TestTM". If it still plays after being thrown from your car window at night at someone else who's listening to it in their car, it's a keeper.