The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

They’re right, Darth

There's other properties that meet all those criteria, that's definitely not what defines Star Wars or what caused it to resonate with millions in the first place

This first episode felt really fast, even though it did indeed have a lot squished into it. Curious to see where they go with the story. I don't expect it to recapture the beautifully simple magic of the first season, nor do I expect it to hold a candle to Andor's more serious and layered approach. But it's a fun diversion. And I was grateful that this episode mostly focused on characters from the show, not characters who originated elsewhere. There was way too much of that in S2 for my tastes.

6 hours ago, Datameister said:

This first episode felt really fast, even though it did indeed have a lot squished into it. Curious to see where they go with the story. I don't expect it to recapture the beautifully simple magic of the first season, nor do I expect it to hold a candle to Andor's more serious and layered approach. But it's a fun diversion. And I was grateful that this episode mostly focused on characters from the show, not characters who originated elsewhere. There was way too much of that in S2 for my tastes.

That I can agree on, if they manage to focus on new and existing characters within the show that will already give it a big leg up to Season 2

It was a good episode but it was all setup for the last scene with Bo-Katan. The visuals, the writing, and the acting. It was almost Shakespearean.

The Mandalorian 3x01 The Apostate

I loved this!

I had to laugh at the recap, which completely glossed over Din and Grogu being separated and reunited, as well as getting his new ship, insteading showing IG-11's death again and him getting his task from The Armorer.  This was especially funny because 5 minutes later he has another conversation with The Armorer that completely re-explains everything, meaning it didn't have to be in the recap, while when Greef asks him about the kid and the ship, he just says its a long story, so should have been in the recap.  I kinda feel like Disney corporate is doing whatever they can to make Mando-only watches check out BOBF after all, lol

The opening scene was certainly set up to make you think you were seeing a flashback to Din getting his helmet, for sure.  I don't remember exactly what the actor playing young Din we'd previously seen in flashbacks looked like, but I want to say it was very similar to this kid.  I even thought the way the giant crocodile showed before before he could complete the oath would somehow play into events this season, until it was revealed it wasn't a flashback at all.  Pretty decent action scene here.

So when he talks to The Armorer and has this little Mandalore artifact, is something something he went and got off-screen in between seasons, or is that from a prior episode I'm just not remembering?

The hyperspace scene was really great; Am I supposed to know what the creature was Grogu saw from some cartoon show I never saw or comic book I never read?  Or is that a new invention for the show and will presumably be explored later?  When he crawled through some little port to snuggle up with Din, that was FUCKING ADORABLE!!!!

I enjoyed seeing (whatever the name of the city is on) Nevarro, it was neat looking.  The statue of IG-11 was cool, and I laughed when it was torn down to attempt to re-animate him somehow.  That scene of his upper body crawling around was pretty funny, though Grogru using the force to spin himself around in an office chair was >chef's kiss<

Holy shit, the scene with the Babu Frik aliens fixing up IG-11 was sooo funny, I was constantly laughing.  Great puppetry and voice work all around, another chef's kiss.  I love how he needs a memory core to fix him up, so now we're launching into side quest of a side quest territory - LOL

The pirates were pretty cool!  The standoff in the streets was a pretty well done short little action scene, but then the asteroid chase was  VERY cool action scene!  The sequel movies were so light on outer-space action, I'm glad the shows give us some, sometimes.  The lead pirate dude felt like a less-good version of Davy Jones from the Pirates movies.

I must have missed something, because I didn't understand why he flew to see Bo-Katan at the end of the episode instead of going somewhere to get a memory core?  It felt like they just wanted this scene to set up the overall season plot better.  It was kind of funny that she was just lounging around after having lost her army, but also makes her look weak so I don't really know why they did things this way.  But I've never seen whatever cartoon show she's from originally so maybe this plays into how her character was established there.  I noticed in the end credits that Katee Sackhoff was upgraded to full Starring status, instead of co-starring like everyone else gets, so it's clear she's going to be a big part of this season.

Very curious to see where everything goes!

On 03/03/2023 at 2:18 PM, Goldfinger said:

Mando is not part of Death Watch, at least its not been outright stated as such. 

I think you're right that it hasn't been outright stated but he was rescued by Death Watch or at least someone who had their insignia. Din did say he was raised by that group and treated as one of them and with Paz Vizsla being there just assumed it was Death Watch.

On 03/03/2023 at 4:11 PM, A Farewell to Kings said:

He believes, but he doesn't know.

I assume, He doesn't wanna be stupid and just land and die, or have to listen to nerd criticism ;)

is-there-air.gif

Did it say he reset? If it did ignore the rest of this.

Perhaps, Blbecause the old unit was broken, it changed the way the information was accessed, with a new unit, the new programming could be downloaded, and accessed

You don't think his starfighter can tell if the atmosphere is breathable? Because that would be one less nerd criticism for him to worry about ;)

I think Din just said IG-11 went back to his orginal programming after the protocol droid dropped the bust on him, which would mean a reset right? Nobody said anything about the newer programming being backed up anywhere either, just need a new memory unit and that would fix it?

19 hours ago, Jay said:

The hyperspace scene was really great; Am I supposed to know what the creature was Grogu saw from some cartoon show I never saw or comic book I never read?  Or is that a new invention for the show and will presumably be explored later?  When he crawled through some little port to snuggle up with Din, that was FUCKING ADORABLE!!!!

They're Purrgil, from the Rebels cartoon, the main character Ezra uses them to defeat Thrawn. If you're planning to watch Ahsoka's show might be worth checking Rebels out as several characters from it are supposed to turn up.

21 hours ago, Jay said:

So when he talks to The Armorer and has this little Mandalore artifact, is something something he went and got off-screen in between seasons, or is that from a prior episode I'm just not remembering?

Anyone know the answer to this?

As others have said, I dug the puppetry in the season 3 opener. I've always dug the Muppet Show elements of the STARS WARS universe -- both cute and hilarious at the same time. And very tactile.

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I was not exlecting to really go to Ma dalore already

What

Nice second episode! I didn't expect either to go so fast into Mandalore, but it seems that this season is going to have a more focused narrative, instead of the one-off chapters from previous seasons, and this episode surely advances the plot a great deal, with some nice revelations.

First, it was great to see Mandalore in live action, but it's such a shame that it's now at its lowest, being basically a huge pile of ashes, and it would be great if they could throw in a flashback just to see in live-action the city with its former glory. The creatures Mando encounters were so cool, especially the mysterious alien-robot spider thing. It was very different from all of the creatures we have seen in this show, and it was creepy as hell!

And then we have the final reveal, which shows a huge mythosaur to be alive in the living waters of Mandalore. This moment was both scary and exciting, and I cannot wait to see what else they do with this creature!

The music was nice, perhaps relying a bit too much on tracked music during the first half, but the action sequence with Grogu had some great variations on the Child theme that I hope are released!

Anyway, if you want to read a bit more in depth about the music, I leave here my analysis of the score for this episode, so feel free to check it out and share your thoughts. Enjoy!

Chapter 18 - The Mines of Mandalore

I think I enjoyed the first episode a wee bit more, but I got a real kick out of R5-D4 joining the cast. I giggled at his obvious repair to the burnt panel that blew off his head in Star Wars.   Not only is he an appropriate fit among our motley crew of misfits, it was awfully lucky that he was just in time to navigate Baby Yoda back to Bo Katan. 

Nice sound design with Mando pressurizing his helmet and the breathing sounds. 

Good fun. 

On 06/03/2023 at 7:50 AM, Jay said:

I am planning on watching Ahsoka, I am not planning on watching any cartoons

Fair enough. Is there any particular reason you don't want to watch them? (Not going to convince you that you should, just curious)

Well you were right @A Farewell to Kings Din did indeed need a droid to check the atmosphere. While I still think it's ridiculous that his Starfighter that can travel between planets can't detect if the atmosphere is breathable.

Also making a fuss about using IG-11 just to then use R5-D4, now makes the first episode feel almost redundant. From the ending of BOBF you could start with Din going to Bo Katan as the opening of this episode and make it the first of the season.

Also didn't expect to be going to Mandalore so soon, figured there'd be a couple of episodes of side quests first. So that was a nice surprise.

Visuals were great again in this episode. Both practical and CG. The giant mech reminded me a lot of the spider tank from Ghost in the Shell. Curious to know more about the eyeball in a jar guy, what's his deal? But seems he was a throwaway villain of the episode.

Not sure if it was meant to be funny but did laugh when Din just disappeared when walking into the water.  

Curious to see where the season goes now, figured going to Mandalore to bathe in the waters would be the main thrust of the series, now that's pretty much done what comes next?

13 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Fair enough. Is there any particular reason you don't want to watch them? (Not going to convince you that you should, just curious)

Well you were right @A Farewell to Kings Din did indeed need a droid to check the atmosphere. While I still think it's ridiculous that his Starfighter that can travel between planets can't detect if the atmosphere is breathable.

To be fair, That ship was intended to have an astromech.....

6 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

To be fair, That ship was intended to have an astromech.....

Ah so have I just missed something and that would have been the job of a droid anyway?

28 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

That's one thing I wanted to point out for anyone who doesn't watch the animated shows; you probably won't get much out of Ahsoka. I'm sure it'll link up to a degree with the Mandoverse, but for the most part it seems this show is going to be a direct continuation of Rebels, and the character arcs from that show.

2 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

That's one thing I wanted to point out for anyone who doesn't watch the animated shows; you probably won't get much out of Ahsoka. I'm sure it'll link up to a degree with the Mandoverse, but for the most part it seems this show is going to be a direct continuation of Rebels, and the character arcs from that show.

Yeah so far it sounds like it'll be very much a pay off for Rebels, but if they're smart (personally I'm not sure they will be) they'll have enough exposition to fill in those gaps for new audiences. As @DarthDementous says you shouldn't expect people to have watched another show to fully understand this one. 

4 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'd like some exposition myself since it's been a while and I don't want to have to rewatch another show. :lol:

That's a good point :lol:. Surely they'd do enough that can jog the memories of those that watched Rebels and in a way that gets across what people would need to know for the new show..... right?

The Mandalorian 2x02 The Mines of Mandalore

I loved this too!  So far I think season 3 is better than season 2 and Book of Boba.  We've got cool heroes in cool armor fighting cool new creatures and robots every week.  This is all I need from the show and it's doing that expertly so far!

Amy Sedaris' character is always fun, I enjoyed her dealing with the Greedo dude and all the Jawas.  It was funny to see R5 here!  They really have an opportunity to take any person or object seen in the Tattooine scenes of the old movies and bring them into this show lol.

I just loved the new little eyeball alien creature that had a robot suit to go inside of, and then an even bigger robot suit to go inside of as well!  So cool and fun. The other creatures roaming around were cool too.

It's interesting that Grogu seems to really have grown up a bit since his early appearances, or gained something from his training with Luke maybe.  He seemed to be awake and with it the entire time, and able to understand everything everyone says even if he can't talk himself.  I find it so funny that this is now the second time they've had him fly from one planet to another by himself, only aided by robots.

Bo-Katan confused me a little bit.  I thought she was basically not a friend to Din because he has the darksaber and she wants it, but she seemed to genuinely be concerned for him and want to rescue him when Grogu showed up without him.  Maybe in her head she was hoping she'd be able to turn the rescue into a way to get the darksaber or something, but if she did think that it wasn't apparent on screen to me.  That being said, when she did make his way to him, I thought it was very interesting that she just grabbed the darksaber and used it to free him!  Didn't she make a big about the "proper" way it has to be handed from one person to another?  I was really expecting them to have some kind of conversation about it after the fighting was over, but there was nothing.  Did she even give it back to him?

I definitely wasn't expecting Din to take his bath in the waters in only the second episode of the season, but that just means I have no idea what to expect from the rest of the season, so that's cool!

Was anybody else confused by what happened to him at the end of the episode?  Did something grab his leg and pull him down?  Or did he just slip or something?  I thought she'd have to fight a creature down there or something, but she just pulled him back up, seeing some dinosaur looking thing on the way?  Do cartoon watchers know what this all means or is it a mystery to everyone on purpose?

I thought it was obvious he took a step into much deeper water. But I've heard others that were confused. (Clearly people who haven't played in waters they probably shouldn't have been as kids.)

The big creature is the Mythosaur that was mentioned in the "Previously On". It's the critter that has it's head on all the Mando armor. Clearly Bo-Katan assumed it was mythical. And clearly it isn't.

As for the Dark Saber she can take it, but that doesn't make it hers. (Presumably this is why she wasn't able to hold on to it when it was given to her before.) It's not Mojlnir. You can pick it up even if you aren't "worthy". Heck, Maul had it sitting among his knick-knacks.

3 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

That's a good point :lol:. Surely they'd do enough that can jog the memories of those that watched Rebels and in a way that gets across what people would need to know for the new show..... right?

1 hour ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Well, they could make a previously on with the animated material, like Obi-Wan did for the prequels. Will they? I doubt it.

Because you don't really need to know any of it so far. Nice to know, cool stuff for people that watched The Clone Wars and Rebels, but not necessary for what is going on here.

Knowing a little about the EU of Star Wars, the creature they encounter is 

Spoiler

A Mythosaur, the creature which the Mandalorian signet is based off of and will essentially be Bo's way to regain power if she is able to tame and control the beast. Its essentially a mythical creature to their people and if she is able to control it, she will not need the Dark Saber to reunite the factions (though Mando will probably help the reunification of his people).

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Bo Kattan confused me a little bit.  I thought she was basically not a friend to Din because he has the darksaber and she wants it, but she seemed to genuinely be concerned for him and want to rescue him when Grogu showed up without him. 

I believe you are forgetting episode 3 of Season 2, they bonded capturing that imperial ship, she tells him about Ahsoka and helps him rescue Grogu. Grogu was by himself in the ship, so the beef about the saber became  insignificant in that dire situation.

I guess I did, yea.  In last week's episode she seemed to be really antagonistic towards him, but I guess that was just her general attitude about life at the moment and not anything to do with him

The mythosaur reveal was super cool, though I agree that ending the episode right there felt kind of strange.

Overall, I thought it was a very decent episode. A fun adventure that—as others have said—moves the story along much earlier than expected.

My two biggest complaints? Firstly, at the outset of the season, I prayed aloud for no more desert planets. Returning to Tattooine yet again was annoying. It's a great setting but enough is enough!

Secondly, it feels like Din's writing has gotten stilted and formal. Like, there's always going to be a bit of that when he's getting into … Mando-lore, if you will. And there's of course been character development. But it feels like he's doing an awful lot of talking (a continuing complaint from S2), and it barely sounds like the same character from S1.

Anyway, I nitpick. Still a good time, and very accessible for folks like myself who can't get into any of the animated series.

You don't hire Pedro Pascal to not have him talk

I think it's character development that he talks more than he used to.  Grogu has affected his life.

I still haven’t watched any of S3, but the act of talking more in S2 felt like a character thing.  A part of shedding the solitary life and shedding the cult he was raised in, building a family on his adventures, removing his dome, etc etc.

Anyone else think there was some pretty good acting in this episode?

When Bo-Katan was telling Mando about her father, and how he died defending Mandalore, his reply of "This is the way" was really good.  It's obviously a line that's been said many times before on the show, but the particular way he said it there was really interesting and different, and just perfect for the situation.

And at the end of the episode, when Din starts saying the creed and going into the water, the looks on Bo Bo-Katan's face was great.  Like she had thought everything was hopeless, this water doesn't mean anything, etc.  As a kid it was probably some boring ritual she saw a bunch of times.  But you could tell she was moved by Din doing it now, in this circumstance.  And it was expressed without words, just by Katee Sackhoff's acting.

Really good stuff :up:

13 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I think the Bo-Katan stuff has been knocked out of the park.

I never heard of her until Mando season 2, but she's great

I loved all the casual lore drops this episode.

I assume her seeing that dinosaur thing will give her the idea that maybe she doesn't need the darksaber to become leader again, she just needs to tame and ride that?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I assume her seeing that dinosaur thing will give her the idea that maybe she doesn't need the darksaber to become leader again, she just needs to tame and ride that?

I'm not taking it any farther than her realization of "Holy crap it's real!"

On 08/03/2023 at 4:00 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

The special effects remain incredible on this show. I'm always amazed by how real everything looks. And the Volume remains best used on this show.

I forgot to mention that, the show has LOOKED great these past 2 episodes!  So much better than Obi-Wan, not even close.  Really shows like any tech, the expertise with which you use it is more important than the tech itself

On 07/03/2023 at 9:49 AM, Jay said:

Looks like we'll be getting character posters after each episode again

Here's episode 2's:

Not sure why there's no Bo-Katan poster yet

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Here's episode 2's:

ImageNot sure why there's no Bo-Katan poster yet

Bo-Katan's was premiered before the series together with Mando & Greef

20230314_201858.jpg

20230314_201945.jpg

20230314_201950.jpg