The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

31 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

@Gabriel Bezerra I'm thinking the titular spies were the Mandalorians on the planet in this episode, ala the hebrew spies in the old testament who investigated the promised land.

Ah, that's an interesting way of seeing it. I thought the ones on the "boat" were working for Gideon, but nothing came to it, I like your explanation.

4 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Ah, that's an interesting way of seeing it. I thought the ones on the "boat" were working for Gideon, but nothing came to it, I like your explanation.

Don't get me wrong, I also wouldn't be surprised if someone ended up being a traitor at some point.

Good to see the show back to its tonal self in the latest episode.

A question to you knowledgeable folks: Is that guy on the council thingie supposed to be Hux, only they couldn't get Domnhall Gleeson to reprise his role? He speaks with the same accent, and it appeared that another person on the council points to him when talking about Hux finishing his Necromancer project or something. He doesn't look anything like Gleeson, though.

Thor, is show takes place 30 years before the Sequel Trilogy that Hux is in.  He'd be a child in this timeline.

This show takes place 5 years after Return of the Jedi.

OK, so what are they talking about when they mention "Hux finishing the Necromancer project" or something to that effect? Is there a Hux sr., perhaps?

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Is there a Hux sr., perhaps?

Yeah, Brendol Hux, played by Brian Gleeson, the younger looking of the two main guys talking to Gideon :lol:

3 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Yeah, Brendol Hux, the younger looking of the two main guys talking to Gideon :lol:

That explains it, thanks! That's a pretty fudged up family.

So you've been watching this show for 4 years thinking it took place when Luke, Leia, and Han were all old people, despite Luke clearly looking like he did in ROTJ when he showed up to take and train Grogu?

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

That explains it, thanks! That's a pretty fudged up family.

Your welcome.

Your comments about Gleeson is funny, since he is portrayed by Brian Gleeson in this episode, Doms brother

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

So you've been watching this show thinking it took place when Luke, Leia, and Han were all old people, despite Luke clearly looking like he did in ROTJ when he trained Grogu?

No, I'm aware it was directly after RETURN OF THE JEDI. But I watch so many of these things simultaneously that my timeline sometimes get screwed up. I don't have the steely control of STAR WARS lore like you folks.

7 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

He only volunteered after Wolfe did. So my guess is that he was just making an excuse, they did stare for a while when they arrived in Nevarro.

My biggest gripes with this episode were the lack of Spies in an episode called The Spies (Who are them? Where they live?) and why Bo didn't use the Darksaber until it was too late... Gideon didn't even saw her, she could be cutting that door in the meantime, or just use it to cut the other door to save Din, they would have to open the door to shoot them, so a path would be open either way.

Finally finding out some big plot points was cool, Bo's surrender and Gideon's plans, the visuals were great, the music too, I'm excited watching it, but I'm just not really feeling it after it's done, I guess the intended effect they tried here was the same as the penultimate of Season 1, Grogu captured = Din captured, Kuil dies = Paz dies, Team cornnered by Gideon = Mandos cornered by Gideon, same arrangment for the credits as that episode as well.

Definitely picked up on the Kuill like ending, a lot less effective when the sacrifice isn’t necessary and the character in question hasn’t been established to be very sympathetic

I rag on the show quite a bit for character writing but Kuill was handled rather well to the point I find myself missing him still. His death was incredibly shocking and still sticks with me

15 hours ago, Thor said:

No, I'm aware it was directly after RETURN OF THE JEDI. But I watch so many of these things simultaneously that my timeline sometimes get screwed up. I don't have the steely control of STAR WARS lore like you folks.

Same here. And as I said before, watching Bad Batch and The Mandalorian in parallel, two shows, which take place during very different periods (beginning of the empire and after the end of the empire) both are now dealing with secret clone experiments and both story lines remain unresolved. And in addition this reveals what a bad idea it was for the sequels to more or less repeat the story of the original trilogy and not really find a convincing continuation of the story that does not simply lead into repetition with just new variants of the original characters (Snoke=Sidious, Ren=Vader, Rey=Luke, BB-8=R2-D2 etc.).

14 hours ago, Jay said:

So you've been watching this show for 4 years thinking it took place when Luke, Leia, and Han were all old people, despite Luke clearly looking like he did in ROTJ when he showed up to take and train Grogu?

Botox anyone?

The Mandalorian 3x07 The Spies

That was awesome!  The whole episode was so cool and exciting and interesting!

The opening was really nifty, very Blade-Runner-esque as Elia goes through a cool dark-but-also-neon city to talk to Gideon.  I loved getting confirmation that is, in fact, working for him.  And I guess this means Gideon did in fact want Pershing killed.. I guess because he has other avenues to work on cloning now?

(BTW, how does it make any sense for Gideon to send an IMPERIAL Probe Droid to talk to Elia OUTSIDE via hologram? Talk about a million opportunities to get caught!)

The Shadow Council was pretty nifty; I love that that Hux's dad (uncle?) was Imperial, so he probably grew up thinking their way.  It kind of makes it nicer that he turns good in ROTS, in a way.  It was very exciting to hear one of the guys talking about Thrawn, I love them building up to him over various shows.  I hope the final confrontation and defeat of him is what Filoni's movie is about!

Greef finally finishing rebuilding IG-11 and it being designed to let Grogu control it was sooooooo funny and awesome!  I loved that he gets YES! and NO! buttons too (and that Taiki Waititi came back to voice them).  It's so absurdly goofy that all it has is two joysticks, yet Grogu can control its arms and hands with extreme articulation on top of making him walk, lol.

I wonder what the significance is of that special wine (?) that Greef gives to Din too.... maybe we'll find out next week 

I really enjoyed the trip to Mandalore.  It was cool seeing Bo's fleet arrive on Nevarro (with the cool Mandalore symbol painted of the bottom of the former Imperial Cruiser), and also them setting up orbit on Mandalore and heading down. Once there, that other clan of Mandalorians they found was pretty neat - their ship was so cool looking!  I wasn't sure at first if I was supposed to trust them, but it seems like they're on the level.

I thought it was a little clunky that The Armorer took some of their wounded back up to the ships in space; I suppose this is just so next episode when they inevitably rescue our heroes, we'll have a point of view character there we know to follow instead of it being randoms.  It still seemed a bit odd though.

The fight with the giant creature when they arrived near the forge was a pretty decent sequence.  Once inside, it's too bad they didn't realize they were in a trap until it was too late.  I did wonder why Bo waited so long to use the darksaber to cut her way out of that room, I immediately thought of it.  Weird.  It was really fun to see Moff Gideon grandstanding again, giving his big speeches, Esposito is such a fun actor to have in this role.  The return of his special darktroopers were cool too - actually, I guess these are different, more evolved versions of those, right?

I didn't understand at all why Gideo captured Din instead of just killing him, or why he didn't take his helmet off.  Or why Grogu didn't use the Force to help who is essentially his father out.  Did we even see a shot of Grogu after Din was captured?  It was sad that Paz Vizla had to die :(  It seemed like he was gonna be OK until those red dudes showed up.  Before then I was hoping he'd find some escape hatch and disappear for a while only to turn up at a key point next episode, but I guess not....

Can't wait for the finale!

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Episode 7 poster

FtnS5oCXgAkVISd?format=jpg&name=large

They just reused a S1 (or S2?) promotional still. He's even got the Darksaber here :lol:

Plus his hair is more gray now, and he no longer has a moustache...

beskar_moff.jpg

I was finally able to catch up on this week's episode and it was one of the best of the season so far! I really liked Gideon's return as I love Giancarlo Exposito's portrayal of him so much, and he makes the "bad character" of the show so likeable and interesting!

I loved Grogu's new "toy", because it's a great way to bring back a character like IG-11, and it was hilarious when he was smashing those YES and NO buttons with Din trying to stop him. I hope he gets to do a bit more in the action sequences, because I felt they have some potential to explore there. Din's capture was a bit unexpected, but it was needed to give the season finale a bit more of emotional depth, but for me the highlight was Paz Vizsla's sacrifice, from his brutal fight againts Gideon's new Troopers to his confrontation with the Praetorian Guards, which were both cool and terrifying.

Shirley's music was great, and I particularly liked his new variations on Bo Katan's theme and the Mandalore theme, as well as the choral motif during the final fight, and it was great to hear Moff Gideon's theme back into its former glory, as it's such a cool theme!

In case you want to read a more in-depth analysis on the soundtrack, feel free to read my short write-up on my blog. Enjoy!

Chapter 23: The Spies

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

It's weird maybe, but I still don't trust The Armorer completely

Neither did we. It seems as if she would be reuniting the mandalorians for gideon for him to obliterate them once and for all.

6 hours ago, Andy said:

Did anyone else get a weird vibe with the drawn out scene of the Armorer piloting the small craft with the refugees and wounded back to the fleet?  It felt like there was impending doom. 

Yeah I feel like something sketch is going on.

6 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

That too. I expected a star destroyer appearing and destroying the whole fleet

100%. I was kind of shocked it wasn't an Imperial Fleet.

11 hours ago, Andy said:

Did anyone else get a weird vibe with the drawn out scene of the Armorer piloting the small craft with the refugees and wounded back to the fleet?  It felt like there was impending doom. 

Very much so.

I continue to enjoy this show, but it really has changed a lot over time. The initial "badass bounty hunter reluctantly bonds with a cute little creature/kid across fun standalone adventures" dynamic is totally gone. As others have said, now the show is really about the Mandalorian people post-ROTJ and the beginnings of the First Order. I am interested in these things. But it's a little sad that Din feels like a secondary character in his own show, despite talking twice as much as he did early on.

I saw Paz Vizsla's demise coming, of course, but it was still gutting. I'd grown to really like the character.

Interesting to see all these thoughts of The Armorer being sketchy.  I had much simpler thoughts (bolded below)

On 14/04/2023 at 4:33 PM, Jay said:

I thought it was a little clunky that The Armorer took some of their wounded back up to the ships in space; I suppose this is just so next episode when they inevitably rescue our heroes, we'll have a point of view character there we know to follow instead of it being randoms.  It still seemed a bit odd though.

If any of the hero characters is actually a spy working for Gideon, it's probably one of the guys on the ship that was on the planet.

Yea, it's all a little strange.  I love the reveal that Gideon's base of operations has been on Mandalore, right next to the Great Forge the whole time; Such an evil move to bomb their planet and drive them away, then head into their own planet and mine their beskar for yourself and make new troopers and whatever else with it.

But I don't really understand what the point was of that rebel pilot guy finding evidence of beskar in the shuttle that was transporting Gideon; The New Republic seemed to think that meant the Mandalores helped him escape, but I assumed it meant he was framing them for it.

But now, especially with the last episode being titled "The Spies" without a clear explanation for who the spies are, makes me wonder if there is in fact a traitor.  But even then, I feel like it's going to take some work to explain why any Mandalorian would choose to work for Gideon...

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea, it's all a little strange.  I love the reveal that Gideon's base of operations has been on Mandalore, right next to the Great Forge the whole time; Such an evil move to bomb their planet and drive them away, then head into their own planet and mine their beskar for yourself and make new troopers and whatever else with it.

But I don't really understand what the point was of that rebel pilot guy finding evidence of beskar in the shuttle that was transporting Gideon; The New Republic seemed to think that meant the Mandalores helped him escape, but I assumed it meant he was framing them for it.

I think it just means the new republic will think the mandalorias are bad guys and rescued gideon. It clear he was rescued by his beskar armored stormtroopers

so weeks ago i saw episode 17, and i thought it was really boring, and made me wish this had the missing part of the story.

then yesterday i saw episode 18, and this was more fun and it has all the barely explained creature work. i like that the thing is called the mythosaur, sometimes the name that seems to come from an internet shitpost is the one that works.

then i saw episode 19, and i thought the rhythm wasn't very tight. this detour would be cooler without the missing part of the story earlier. who the hell does this lady really work for? (also she's pretty). did i just hear the march of the resistance as diegetic music, that's hilarious.

overall, an inoffensive show, with some fun creatures. "The Mandalorian" appears to have become little by little "The MandalorianS", which works.

On 12/04/2023 at 3:50 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

Chapter 23 x The Spies

Moff Gideon is back!! So happy. Giancarlo Esposito is soo good. And not only that, but Grand Admiral Thrawn has been mentioned and I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up next week.

I kinda of expect him to not show up until Ashoka.

The hallway he walked through was interesting and I hope we get to see what's in those glass boxes. It's been teased enough, let's see what's in there. (I think he kinda explained at the end of the episode, but if it are multiple versions of him, I want to see that).

Oh damn, I missed that!

The "Shadow Council" was like the Rebels but then with Empire. A group of people fighting against their enemy.

Heh, that's true!

I'm also glad to get a bit more backstory on what happened to Mandalore and Bo-Katan. Although it would've been nice to actually see it. How Gideon betrayed Bo-Katan etc. 

Yea, as someone who doesn't watch the cartoon shows and only knows anything about Bo based on what's explained in the show, I was confused a bit if she was just recapping something from another show, but eventually I realized she was describing events that happened off-screen long after the cartoon timeline and before the Mando timeline.  You're right, it would have been cool to see that whole story depicted, but how would it work with Katee Sackoff being in her 40s (but actually playing somene who I think is supposed to be in her 50s right?)

But I was shocked to see those guards in the red armour. Are those the same that were Snoke's guards in The Last Jedi? Because they really looked it.

I don't remember TLJ much but my first thought was the red guards from ROTJ

It was brutal the way all 3 put their blades in him. I loved it!

Yea, it was!  So funny that this is a kids show made to sell action figures 90% of the time, then we get awesome hard PG-13 violence at other times

Shirley's music this episode was incredible again. Last week was indeed a bit less, but he came back this episode.

I heard so much stuff I hope is on the album...

Plus, a newly arranged version over the end credits. Volume 2 can't come soon enough.

Wait, it was new?  I thought it was a repeat of the Season 1, Episode 7 cue?  If it was new, why didn't it fit the whole runtime of the end credits?

I'm even more excited for next week then I already was. I hope we get some cool fights where Gideon is in the fight himself.

I'm sure of that!

On 12/04/2023 at 4:29 AM, Giftheck said:

It appears these are what would become Snoke's guards, yes. They're basically busy cooking him in those vats, aren't they?

I missed these vats!

How can they still do cloning stuff without Pershing?

On 12/04/2023 at 8:53 AM, DarthDementous said:
  • Why did a giant creature show up only for the purpose of getting them to go in the direction they were already going

Cause it was cool and fun!

• Why did Paz Viszla want to fight someone to death because he lost at chest like some kind of man child

This is the way

• Why does Gideon want Din Djarin alive (that may yet be answered but it's still a bit hmm)

Yea, I'm wondering the same thing, on the surface it makes no sense why he wouldn't just instantly kill him.  But yea, I guess we'll find out next week...

• Why did Grogu do nothing when Din was being bound and captured (where even is he now?

Yup, I had the exact same question!

• Does Gideon still want Grogu?

Oh, hmm, that's a good question too!

Is it possible he didn't notice Grogu was inside IG-12 and thought it was just a robot?

• Why are they letting a literal child pilot a mech.

Cause it's funny (and sells another action figure)

On 12/04/2023 at 8:59 AM, saulocf said:

1. Probably a set up to it probably appearing more next episode. Maybe Bo riding it?

Surely she'll ride the Mythosaur from the special waters next episode?

On 12/04/2023 at 8:59 AM, saulocf said:

2. It escalated, but the 2 tribes were against itself. The chess game was only the excuse to start the fight. As Bo said, it was bound to happen at some point, for any dumb reason.

Exactly

On 12/04/2023 at 10:51 AM, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Bo didn't use the Darksaber until it was too late... Gideon didn't even saw her, she could be cutting that door in the meantime, or just use it to cut the other door to save Din, they would have to open the door to shoot them, so a path would be open either way.

Yup!  I thought the same thing

On 12/04/2023 at 10:59 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

Is it me or is the disney era more obvious (even) in their desire to sell action figures?

Well yea, of course, that's why the show exists

On 12/04/2023 at 10:59 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

It seems they just make designs for it (IG-Grogu) sheesh almost every character has several alternate appearances…

Of course!

Who's got some last minute predictions for tomorrow's finale?

Oh, they released 2 more posters for episode 7

Ft9lkgkXsAcaOPA?format=jpg&name=large

Ft7dRMBWIAYxKbB?format=jpg&name=large

Din, Boba Fett, Ahsoka, Bo Katan, Armorer, Grogu in IG11, and the rest of the mandalorians all have a big fight against Moff Gideon, Thrawn, beskar stormtroopers, Praetorian guards, imperial remnants, and general grievous

- I'm hoping for a cool fight with Moff Gideon.

- I hope Grogu gets to do more then just be the cute sidekick, like he has been for most of the season.

- It's weird to look forward to maybe, but I hope that maybe somebody else dies. Have more of the "real" stakes.

- Maybe a cool cameo (Thrawn, maybe an early version of Snoke) or end credits scene.

Musicwise I'm hoping for a true battle of Mando's theme and Gideon's theme. And If Grogu gets to do something cool and action variation of his theme.

Oh snap i didn't even think of the possibility of mid-credits and/or post-credits bonus scenes....

On 18/4/2023 at 7:31 AM, Jay said:

Cause it was cool and fun!

This is the way

Cause it's funny (and sells another action figure)

Ya know, when I asked those questions I was hoping there were actual well thought out reasons for those decisions that I had missed, but if this is legitimately the thinking behind it then I think that just proves my overall point even more that this show sets the bar *very* low, when it doesn’t and shouldn’t need to

44 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Ya know, when I asked those questions I was hoping there were actual well thought out reasons for those decisions that I had missed, but if this is legitimately the thinking behind it then I think that just proves my overall point even more that this show sets the bar *very* low, when it doesn’t and shouldn’t need to

Why did they let a literal child fly a race car/ space chariot?

1 hour ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Why did they let a literal child fly a race car/ space chariot?

Why do you think I’m okay with that either? This is why whataboutism doesn’t work, if you point at something else that’s bad, that doesn’t make the original thing not bad

44 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Why do you think I’m okay with that either?

Because you haven't made a post about it yet ;)

What a great episode! I had my reservations in the middle of the season, but in the end they managed it well! I wonder what will happen in the next seasons though. Will they focus more on the rebuilding of Mandalore or on the adventures of Din Djarin and Din Grogu...? I'm definitely interested in both!

That was nooooooooooot good. Probably the lamest possible way that finale could've gone and it's gonna be a struggle to even want to watch Season 4 at this point

I'm particularly annoyed Gideon's clones were immediately done away with, clearly just setting up something in another show which is a continuous problem with this show

At least it's over...new shows to look forward to and Visions S2. Hopes aren't high for anything other than Visions this year but it's at least a fresh start with hopefully reasonably different creative (and especially writing) teams