Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yep, Jay's spot on. It would be Ramiro handling the edits.

I think he got a few things wrong with JP that Matessino corrected, so it's conceivable the same thing might happen with these. Alternate takes for the prequels would be great!

Yeh, I think MM mentioned something about the speed not being correct and the edits were not exactly precise but they were okay musically. I could be wrong about this, but I'd dare to say that Ramiro didn't need to steech takes into a final cue on JP as the tapes used were already edited for that. Depending on the source used for those SW remasters, he will have to do that. And how good is his level  of attention on that?

:lol::lol:

My expectation for this new SW remasters are regarding sound quality only. For everything else, we'll definitely have to wait.

But I agree with Alan in that if Disney is going to all of this trouble to search for elements, transfering them and re-creating OST albums, then they must have something else on their minds too.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So we just have to wait until 2021 for Matessino's complete expansions then. :P

Seems like the expected amount of time to wait to include the complete score for Episode 9 as part of a saga set...

Just sayin' :P

10 minutes ago, phbart said:

Yeh, I think MM mentioned something about the speed not being correct and the edits were not exactly precise but they were okay musically. I could be wrong about this, but I'd dare to say that Ramiro didn't need to steech takes into a final cue in JP as the tapes used were already edited for that. Depending on the source used for those SW remasters, he will have to do that. And how good is he on that?

Not sure about this. Matessino used the same 2013 scans for the LLL expansion that were used for the 20th Anniversary release, which means Universal had the entire JP recording sessions scanned in 2013 (The Lost World, however, was freshly scanned in 2016 for their release).

Supposedly Ramiro re-assembled the OST presentation from scratch using the original, uncut sessions. He also swapped out film takes for alternate takes wherever he heard studio noise (such as the infamous creaking chair in Journey to the Island), whereas Matessino isolated those sounds and removed them digitally while retaining the correct film takes.

This set could be a real mixed bag, considering the volume of music across the six films.

I'm secretly hoping some of the microedits (in the prequels especially) get overlooked and we end up with more music than the OSTs had. That infamous microedit at the end of Anakin's Dark Deeds springs to mind, which could easily be forgotten... well, hopefully. :)

Yep!

Some of his great work includes Total Recall and Basic Instinct for Quartet, The Abyss for Varese, the reworked Batman in the Danny Elfman Batman Collection (he is the guy who found the better tapes) as well as Ferris Beuller, Dances With Wolves, Titanic, the Lethal Weapon box, and many others for LLL.

He also used to be the moderator for JWFan before me.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I'm secretly hoping some of the microedits (in the prequels especially) get overlooked and we end up with more music than the OSTs had. That infamous microedit at the end of Anakin's Dark Deeds springs to mind, which could easily be forgotten... well, hopefully. :)

oh, it'll still be there. Mark my words

There's no reason to expect any of the edit points to be any different.

The only possibility is some alternate takes get in if Ramiro chooses one with less studio noise than the selected take, like how he handled the JP 20th anniversay edition.

This may be a little "off topic", and please forgive me if it seems that way, but I've been reading these posts, and it's got me thinking.

Taking into consideration all cues heard in the film/OST, and alternate, rerecorded, and unused cues (including any concert arrangements recorded at the time, and any source music), what is  the most extensive, most complete soundtrack available?

On 3/27/2018 at 12:47 PM, Richard said:

Thank you, Jay. I understand that that would apply to STAR WARS, but I meant "by anyone" (sorry for the confusion)?

The recent BEN-HUR, maybe?

In that case, the answer is... a multi-way tie between every title the specialty labels have tackled that they didn't miss something on?

I don't really understand exactly what you're trying to get at.  I mean, finding all the alternates, concert arrangements, source music, and combining it all with the film cues is literally how every specialty label tackles every title they license, with the occasional exceptions.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

This set could be a real mixed bag, considering the volume of music across the six films.

This will probably be a painfully obvious question for many here, but what is the timestamp for the microedit in this track? I can’t seem to pick it out.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The only possibility is some alternate takes get in if Ramiro chooses one with less studio noise than the selected take, like how he handled the JP 20th anniversay edition.

Oh, that's news to me. Which cues had alternate takes on that one?

Not that it matters, I still can't purchase JP 20th in my country (five years later). Geffen Records needs to get their shit together.

I don't understand, there is no reason to purchase the 20th anniversary edition of JP any more, because the 2016 La-La Land release contained everything on it and more

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/JohnWilliamsJurassicParkCollection.html

As for the alternate takes, don't get too excited; They are practically the same as the selected takes, just technically not the same ones as used in the film.  There wasn't that many IIRC, and in fact the only 2 places I can even remember there being any difference is a small portion of Journey To The Island, where he chose a take without the creaking chair noise, and the very end of The Falling Car, where Ramiro chose a different take of the final chord (understandably so, as if you listen to the original OST, there's a wicked loud stage noise there).  In both cases Matessino used the proper album/film take, but digitally removed the noise (actually in the latter case, I believe he just lowered the volume of the loud stage noise rather than remove it entirely)

Besides stage noises, there's another problem that can affect the editor's decision to select the correct take, and I believe SW OT is specially plagued with this problem: tape deterioration. We saw that happening to "Man Against Beast" in Jaws. MM skillfully restored the correct performance for the 2015 Intrada release. For those who are not aware or don't remember, the 2000 Decca release people chose to go with another take because of deterioration on the portion of the tape that featured the correct take. MM himself said that any engineer who would look at the problem say that it couldn't be dealt with. We also know SW OT had a rough past regarding the proper storage of the music elements, so we better expect some alternate takes à la 93 Anthology.

Sure, it is possible that Ramiro might have chosen an alternate take than the film take if the film take was now damaged after 4 decades of storage, but he also could just pull the right take from the '93 transfers if he had to.  Who knows how Ramiro operates, or even what sort of budget and timeframe he had to work with on this project; if he was only given a short time to get it all done, vs being given months to do it at his own pace, could lead to a world of difference in assembly choices.  We just don't know any details about this project yet.

37 days of speculating to go!

1 hour ago, Scintillating_CA said:

This will probably be a painfully obvious question for many here, but what is the timestamp for the microedit in this track? I can’t seem to pick it out.

There's a trumpet fanfare at the end that is missing in the album version.

Weren't there a few segues in the JP 20 that were slightly different?  (And a cue that previously had the reverb tail of the previous cue at the start of the track?)

On the original OST album, A Tree for My Bed begins while Dennis Steals the Embryo is still fading out.  On the 20th and LLL, they don't overlap any more

I must have listend for the difference on the beginning of ”A tree for a bed” a thousand times. The OST cd and the LLL starts exactly the same. I can’t hear any difference at all.

Well, there is no difference in the music, it is the same take; Dennis Steals The Embryo is simply still fading out when it starts, on the OST, while on the future editions they are fully separated by a complete fade-out then a moment of silence.  In other words, the final fadeout of Dennis Steals The Embryo bleeds across the changeover from one track to the next.

14 hours ago, Jay said:

...Dennis Steals The Embryo bleeds across the changeover from one track to the next.

Why so much violence? We should organize a protest demanding peace and stop this bloodshed between tracks!

Converyor Belt was a bonus track, it will reappear on the hypothetical future expanded sets, not in this collection.

Is it clear?

Can we avoid 5 pages more of this thread to discuss it, mercy?

Thanks.

The track lists were posted by Amir on the previous page

On 3/26/2018 at 10:38 PM, Amer said:

Are people dumb or what?

The guy in this article just repeated the tracklists we all know from the OST.

There's no real problem to Fake News, but there's problem with dumb people.. and this forum, sorry to tell it, begins to contain a lot more than usual.