Jump to content

THE COWBOYS (1972) - NEW! 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/cowboys-the-the-deluxe-edition

Mike explained some things about the corrected 1994 album and the "alternate main title" over at FSM:    

So after I did that thematic breakdown in The River's spreadsheet and Jay asked if I'll do more, I said it just seemed natural and evident, it's a short and sweet score that's surprisingly thematicall

23 minutes ago, Fal said:

It's obviously a pizzicato string "boop"

 

Not at all obvious to me, and I've been myself playing in a symphony orchestra for 15+ years. I would definitely never have identified it as such myself.

 

It is obvious, however, that it was the new mix by Matessino that brought it out, since the thing can't be heard on the old 1994 VS edition at all - or at least, I can't hear it even with my old and faithful AKG K 272 HD cans - which BTW revealed to me that something definitely creaks during the french horn solo at 0:41 in The Hands Quit:P

Link to post
Share on other sites

The sound on this is superb. An all around fantastic release. It’s hard to believe this recording is from 1972.

 

The theme has always been a favorite, one of the high schools used to play the overature at football games when I was in school and that was my first introduction to it. Which is surprising considering how much my dad loved John Wayne and westerns. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The overture (and intermission break /entr'act and exit music) were only part of the 70mm road show presentation. The standard 35mm version had no overture or intermission (and therefore used the "alternate" Longhair's Threat).

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So..is this back in stock? Still unfulfilled...

 

 

Apparently they confirmed to me on Monday that they were back in stock and should be shipping the next day. So far no shipping email to me either!

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Yippee! Finally got shipping notice today from VS (2 weeks after ordering). Hope that’s the same for you other deprived folks 😀

Just got an email confirming shipment.  About GD MFing time

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just listened through the CD.

 

As others have said, the clarity of the music is amazing. It was a joy to listen to. The overall soundstage, instrument clarity/ detail, sounds wonderful. The horns sound more like horns, the strings sound more like strings, the snozberries taste like snozzberries...

 

I've listened to the old release about 7 times maybe, but this was like hearing it all for the first time.

 

I love the energy in the fast-paced queues. I love the feel of the bass drum in a couple tracks, love the beauty of the Vivaldi arrangement, and I really enjoy the percussion and low instrumentation in 'The Execution.'

 

My appreciation for this score has grown considerably thanks to this release. And I'm so impressed with what Mike M was able to accomplish with this re-mastering.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Lockdown said:

The original soundtrack album artwork cannot be beaten though!

The Cowboys (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) [The Deluxe Edition].jpg

 

EDIT: As the 1973 "Promo" LP is in fact considered by many as being a bootleg, I just removed it from my websites.

 

So the 1994 Varèse Sarabande is indeed the "Original" release.

 

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrJosh said:

Just listened through the CD.

 

As others have said, the clarity of the music is amazing. It was a joy to listen to. The overall soundstage, instrument clarity/ detail, sounds wonderful. The horns sound more like horns, the strings sound more like strings, the snozberries taste like snozzberries...

 

I've listened to the old release about 7 times maybe, but this was like hearing it all for the first time.

 

I love the energy in the fast-paced queues. I love the feel of the bass drum in a couple tracks, love the beauty of the Vivaldi arrangement, and I really enjoy the percussion and low instrumentation in 'The Execution.'

 

My appreciation for this score has grown considerably thanks to this release. And I'm so impressed with what Mike M was able to accomplish with this re-mastering.

Stop it.....no don’t....omg....how fast do air mail planes fly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bespin said:

 

That's not the original artwork, there was a Promo LP promo released in 1973.

 

Some websites may refer to it as a promo, but it wasn't; It was a completely illegal bootleg in every sense of the word.  Nothing official about it whatsoever, just some guy stealing the recordings and making his own assembly and selling it for cash.  It's a bootleg.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jay said:

 

Some websites may refer to it as a promo, but it wasn't; It was a completely illegal bootleg in every sense of the word.  Nothing official about it whatsoever, just some guy stealing the recordings and making his own assembly and selling it for cash.  It's a bootleg.

 

Yes it's likely possible, do they mention it in the new CD booklet?

 

Anyway... damn www.soundtrackcollector.com...

 

FIXED --> REMOVED FROM MY WEBSITES!

 

I will update my previous post....

 

Thanks 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 12:30 AM, Disco Stu said:

Coincidentally this movie just last week came on the great streaming service Filmstruck, but for some reason it's a version that cuts out the overture from the beginning of the movie!  That such a version should exist at all is a shame.

The Bluray version include the "Overture", "Entracte" and the "Exit music"

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Could someone tell me whether the Vivaldi concerto that's included on the expanded soundtrack is used as source music in the film, or is it used as regular underscoring?

 

There's multiple minutes of a kid playing it on his guitar that's not included on this - maybe it was done on-set. Then Learning the Ropes starts as we pull away from the guitar boy (source in that shot), then it plays over a small montage where it's not source.

 

See my isolated score video:

On 7/7/2018 at 1:52 PM, Holko said:

Learning the Ropes (Vivaldi's Guitar Concerto in D)

 

 

I guess the minutes of guitar playing were recorded on set, I did not include them with dialogue here. This is a wonderful composition, and a very fitting choice, gives the scenes a calming, idyllic quality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Holko said:

 

There's multiple minutes of a kid playing it on his guitar that's not included on this - maybe it was done on-set. 

 

That's totally unrealistic!

 

On 6/21/2018 at 11:22 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I find it very unrealistic that someone would play Vivaldi in cowboy-land, as his music fell into obscurity after the Baroque era and was virtually unknown until re-discovered in the 1920s. Good job, JW! :thumbup:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.