What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

:music: The Nutcracker and the Four Realms. It was snowing today (quite a rare sight in the UK) so I put this on. I think it is really pleasant and, quite frankly, bit underappreciated work from James Newton Howard.

EDIT: Wrong thread...but it still counts due to Tchaikovsky quotes. ;) 

Karol

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Nutcracker and the Four Realms. It was snowing today (quite a rare sight in the UK) so I put this on. I think it is really pleasant and, quite frankly, bit underappreciated work from James Newton Howard.

EDIT: Wrong thread...but it still counts due to Tchaikovsky quotes. ;) 

Karol

It's  a good score when whittled down. I have a 42-minute playlist that works and presents it in a much better light than the overlong OST. Great Tchaikovsky pastiche.

Nah, it's fine. JNH knows his way around tropes, when called for it. His RESTORATION is one of my top 10 favourite scores of his, and the beautiful way it weaves around the Purcell stuff.

Calling JNH's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms pastiche is too friendly. That's no pastiche but patchwork. And no good one.

But to be fair, at adapting one of the best musical works of romantic music he could only fail. But he didn't fail good.

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What?

Sorry, when I loaded (and reloaded) the page nothing you shared came up. It was just a blank space. It's there now, I see. lol

Listening to an album called A String Quartet Christmas. You'd think someone would have had the brainwave to not just repeat every carol four times but to actually, you know, do some variations on them. What a waste of money.

It's been a long time since I've listened to J.S. Bach... but, hey, it's Christmas time!

I made this "Festive" compilation:

1. Magnificat in D Major, BWV 243
  2. Brandenburg Concerto No. 1 in F Major, BWV 1046
  3. Cantata "Gloria in excelsis Deo," BWV 191
  4. Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F Major, BWV 1047
  5. Christmas Oratorio (Weihnachts-Oratorium), BWV 248
  6. Goldberg Variations, BWV 988
  7. Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G Major, BWV 1048
  8. Cantata "Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben," BWV 147
  9. Brandenburg Concerto No. 4 in G Major, BWV 1049
  10. Violin Concerto in E Major, BWV 1042

NTctOTUzMi5qcGVn.jpeg

Marian gave this to me a couple of years ago. Came with a magazine. Thanks again, time to pull it out again now. Trying desperately for some last-minute Christmas mood, despite covid infection and whatnot.

I wondered. Because I can't remember getting more than one, and that one I still have myself. :D Anyway, it's a fine album! It came with that BBC Music Magazine that had the Williams interview.

38 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It came with that BBC Music Magazine that had the Williams interview.

Yes. Am I completely invisible?

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's the one I gave you, that came with the JW issue.

No, the "BBC Music Magazine" marquee on the cover is. I missed that and wanted to clarify what magazine it came from. I actually googled what magazine it was, because I don't remember where I put my copy…

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It does say "THE BBC MUSIC MAGAZINE COLLECTION". :)

Apparently you're not the only one who's invisible, because I mention that:

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

No, the "BBC Music Magazine" marquee on the cover is.

I was looking for a big logo or something on the cover image, so I didn't bother to check the fine print.

• 2 weeks later...

Reminds me a lot of Scelsi.

The main theme of "On the Guarding of the Heart" is the need to return into oneself, to descent with the intellect in to the depths of the heart, to guard it and to seek there the hidden treasure of the inner kingdom. The music is very stimulated by reading of the Philokalia; it is about a hard-achieved detachment, stillness and watchfulness, it is about solitude and exile.

Sounds like an introvert's paradise!

1 hour ago, Loert said:

I especially like the 2nd movement. Like floating through space...

It’s highly chromatic, and reminds me very much of Williams’ space travel music like The Trip to Earth.

I don’t know if it’s direct or indirect, but I hear an undercurrent of Vaughan-Willams in a lot of John Williams’ music.

22 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's very direct.

Holst, Walton, Vaughan Williams, Elgar, Sullivan, Butterworth, Bliss, Delius, Bax; JW loves them, all.

And Peter Maxwell Davies. Not sure I can hear a lot of him in JW's music, but he's expressed his love of the composer a few times.

We can finally play vinyls again! So I couldn't resist giving this a spin at last:

Tchaikovsky, Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic – Serenade For Strings - Nutcracker Suite (1967, Vinyl) - Discogs

Ah, the smell of the vinyl, the crackling... THE CRACKLING! To hell with the smart speakers that used to filter those little pops out. To the charity shop they will go.

Also, could anyone explain to me why this sounds above and beyond any Rolling Stones record of that era? I mean, how did they have more money for Tchaikovsky than pop music?

As was hinted above, Williams takes a lot of inspiration from Walton, particularly in terms of orchestration. The lively episode between 21:46-22:51 might as well have come straight out of one of Williams' scores.

6 hours ago, Loert said:

As was hinted above, Williams takes a lot of inspiration from Walton, particularly in terms of orchestration. The lively episode between 21:46-22:51 might as well have come straight out of one of Williams' scores.

Love me some Walton... on a similar tack, I was listening to some brass concertos by Danish composer Vagn Holmboe (one of my favourite classical composers, the heir to Carl Nielsen) and it occurred to me that if you like JW's works for those instruments, you'd probably like the Holmboe. Tuneful, lively, really terrific stuff, with great performances on this BIS album.

image.png

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Love me some Walton... on a similar tack, I was listening to some brass concertos by Danish composer Vagn Holmboe (one of my favourite classical composers, the heir to Carl Nielsen) and it occurred to me that if you like JW's works for those instruments, you'd probably like the Holmboe. Tuneful, lively, really terrific stuff, with great performances on this BIS album.

Heir to Nielsen? Colour me interested.

…speaking of which, have I posted this before?

Among the driving forces behing Langgaard's hectic period of productivity towards the end of the 1940's seems to have been sheer pig-headedness, a form of protest against the musical world around him, and not least against Langgaard's private symbol for this, that is, Carl Nielsen. In 1948 Langgaard wrote the sarcastic choral work Carl Nielsen, vor store komponist (Carl Nielsen - our Great Composer), which of course he immediately sent in to the State Broadcasting Company as a suggested programme item. This composition is dedicated to "the world of music in Denmark", and consists of only 32 bars, which are to be "repeated for all eternity"! In a preface, the composer regrets that all his life he has had to accept the necessity of living and breathing in the world of Danish music, infected as it was by Carl Nielsen.

Heir to Nielsen? Colour me interested

Well I don't know if that's how Holmboe is generally considered, but he's certainly a very worthy successor, and his stuff is well worth exploring, particularly the numerous concertos.

…speaking of which, have I posted this before?

Subtle ;-)

On 22/1/2024 at 9:24 AM, filmmusic said:

Does anyone know what is the best version of Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf, but without narration?

Versions without narration are sadly not too common but Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic is a pretty good one: