So after TROS and the Disaster Boxset, are you still listening to LLL's Minority Report?

Josh500

So after TROS and the Disaster Boxset, are you still listening to LLL's Minority Report?   

17 members have voted

1. 1. So after TROS and the Disaster Boxset, are you still listening to LLL's Minority Report?

• Of course! In fact, because of MR, I don't get around to listening to the other two.
    • Yes, but for me, MR is secondary. TROS and the Disaster Boxset have obviously priority over it
    • I gotta admit, MR has been relegated to the back burner. It's been awhile since I put that on.
    • Minority who?

I'm listening to all kinds of other film music, in preparation of making a "Best of 2019" episode on Celluloid Tunes and the IFMCA awards. I've listened to TROS twice, and a little bit of HOME ALONE for Christmas mood. That's about it as far as Williams is concerned in recent weeks.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Haven't listened to any of them (apart from seeing TROS last night - but that probably doesn't count).

Why don't you get out and get the OST album? :)

I have, although I haven't seen the film yet. Now I'm debating whether to listen to the album right away or not. Tough choice. 

28 minutes ago, Thor said:

and a little bit of HOME ALONE for Christmas mood. 

You can never go wrong with HA! 

South Africa. We have one CD store in my city and it has about 50-odd soundtracks in stock, 95% on which are song related, and non of which are Star Wars. The online retailers here also do not have it listed so it most likely will have to be imported.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

For me, there are only 2 Home Alones. The first and second. The rest is just--how can I put this delicately?--unwatchable crap! 

Actually, the third is kinda cute (and a nice Nick Glennie-Smith score to boot). Nowhere near the level of the first two, but fairly OK. 4 and 5, however, are just pure television pap. Not worth your time.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Actually, the third is kinda cute (and a nice Nick Glennie-Smith score to boot). Nowhere near the level of the first two, but fairly OK. 4 and 5, however, are just pure television pap. Not worth your time.

And you watched them because...?

13 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

South Pole? 😂 

10 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

South Africa

50% correct!

Kinda, yes. Although the third Jurassic Park isn't that bad. It's okay. 

It's too bad too, Sam Neil, William H. Macy and Tea Leoni...solid cast for it.

46 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

South Africa. We have one CD store in my city and it has about 50-odd soundtracks in stock, 95% on which are song related, and non of which are Star Wars. The online retailers here also do not have it listed so it most likely will have to be imported.

If they have a soundtrack section, you'd think the brandnew Star Wars album would be the one to have in stock... 😂 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And you watched them because...?

Wanted to be up-to-date. But obviously, there's no 'arc' to speak of in the HOME ALONE series.

As for JP3, that's a superb movie! Not on the level of 1 and 2, obviously, but great in its own regard. A million times better, anyway, than the JURASSIC WORLD movies.

43 minutes ago, Thor said:

A million times better, anyway, than the JURASSIC WORLD movies.

Yeah, I can't stand the JW movies... 

And I don't mean John Williams! :D

Home Alone 3 is a pretty stupid but also rather fun movie - it knows how silly it is. I like Glennie-Smith's score too.

There's no reason for HA 4 or 5 to exist.

JP3 is a fun and exciting popcorn sequel with the best possible score that a movie like that could have. I agree that at least the first JW film is terrible (haven't seen the second).

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I mean, I guess they're fine as creature features, but they betray basically everything I love about the first three JP films.

Betray?  Come on, dude, it’s a movie...  

The whole point is to be entertained and to escape reality for a couple hours.  I guarantee nobody that was involved in the making of the Jurassic World movies thought they were releasing the next Citizen Kane 😂 

I can't stop listening to Minority Report, either! 

I haven't really started listening to TROS even. I'm gonna wait until I see the movie. 

Oh, and I haven't even ordered the Disaster Boxset yet. 

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I can't stop listening to Minority Report, either! 

Minority Report is my favorite JW score of the 2000s. I remember the first time I saw it and I was like who wrote the score it’s fucking awesome then I realized it was written by the same person who made cry when Darth Vader died 

I remember shortly after getting the OST album and seeing the movie on DVD (I didn't see it at the theater), being so impressed with "Everybody Runs"! Just that one track, I must have listened to over 100 times that year alone.... 

8 minutes ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

Minority Report is my favorite JW score of the 2000s. I remember the first time I saw it and I was like who wrote the score it’s fucking awesome then I realized it was written by the same person who made cry when Darth Vader died 

23 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Everybody Runs

I always thought The Greenhouse Effect was unlike any other piece of music I’ve heard. And Sean’s Theme was perfect for anyone who’s living with or trying to understand trauma. I was 7 when I saw MR on TV, and it was such a revelation.

And then, after "Everybody Runs," slowly over the years, I discovered the other highlights... 

"Anderton's Great Escape" 

"Spyders" 

"A New Beginning" 

"Minority Report" 

"Sean's Theme" 

But "The Greenhouse Effect" is good too. Slightly reminiscent of the mystery theme from AotC... 

'Minority Report' happens to be my favourite Spielberg film, and I adore the OST. my favourite track is 'A New Beginning', which plays over the final SC. as the camera reverse pans over the house where the precogs live. 

as crazy as I'm sure this may sound to some experienced classical vets on here, this piece has echoes of Tchaikovsky's Romeo + Juliette Fantasy Overture for me; which is my favourite piece of music of all time.

all hail Mr. Williams :)

Slightly reminiscent of the mystery theme from AotC

I thought it was intentional, to establish an aesthetic for scoring mystery. I guess at that age I thought AOTC and MR were related. :P:)

I've been listening to TROS non-stop, it's too great to pass up. I wish I could say I've listened to Minority Report more than I have, but I did go back to it as recently as the brilliant Legacy  podcast with MM which inspired me to put it back on.

As for the Disaster set, it's still on its way to me unfortunately, Christmas post and the delayed shipping meant that it's probably going to arrive after new years.

I guess I'm one of those people who can really concentrate on one score... Similarly, I never read two books simultaneously, either. Just too distracting. But thankfully, my JW albums won't go anymore. Once I'm done with MR (for the time being), I'll turn my full attention to TROS! 

41 minutes ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

I thought it was intentional, to establish an aesthetic for scoring mystery. 

Maybe it was, at that. Kinda like "Yoda's Theme" cameo in E.T. sort of thing. Here we have the mystery theme from AotC making a cameo in Minority Report! :D

1 hour ago, Jurassic Purpose said:

'Minority Report' happens to be my favourite Spielberg film, and I adore the OST. my favourite track is 'A New Beginning', which plays over the final SC. as the camera reverse pans over the house where the precogs live. 

as crazy as I'm sure this may sound to some experienced classical vets on here, this piece has echoes of Tchaikovsky's Romeo + Juliette Fantasy Overture for me; which is my favourite piece of music of all time.

all hail Mr. Williams :)

Yes, one of the all time best! 

And that goes for both JW's piece, as well as Tchaikovsky's! 

I listened to Minority Report a ton over the summer, then Towering Inferno a lot in the fall.  I still haven't even heard Earthquake yet, because I've been listening to nothing but Rise of Skywalker since it came out.  I love it, it's a great score

12 hours ago, Jay said:

I still haven't even heard Earthquake yet,

Is this your first time listening to Earthquake? Or do you own the OST album or maybe John Williams Film Works, which also includes a few tracks from this movie? 

I absolutely love the jazzy, catchy, and somehow urgent Main Title! Unfortunately in the movie they cut out the best portion...