Next James Bond actor after Daniel Craig?

Jay

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Well, the old days only said "This is not the same continuity" only once and that was the time they only kept international treasure Judi Dench. Lazenby and Moore kept everyone because the point was that only HE was changing. (And in Moore's case they were actually switching to a slightly OLDER actor.) But Dalton's films replaced Moneypenny and Brosnan's replaced Moneypenny and M. (No disrespect to Ms. Maxwell, but Samantha Bond is my favorite Moneypenny.)

But at this point the new Bond (and cast) is part of the draw. It would be nice to keep Fiennes, though.

Think Ben Whishaw has said that he doesn't see himself returning. Strictly a Craig-era Q. 

48 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Don't let Lashana Lynch, or Zimmer, or Nolan anywhere near this film.

I'd rather Lord Nolan do The Prisoner.

49 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Bring Martin Campbell back.

I'm not sure I've ever seen an OK Campbell movie. They're either amazing or horrible. But both his Bond films have been home runs for me.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Keep Wishaw, Fiennes, and Harris.

So Sam Mendes and Thomas Newman are allowed to come back? ;)

10 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen an OK Campbell movie. They're either amazing or horrible. But both his Bond films have been home runs for me.

I'd rather Campbell to do another Zorro movie. Banderas may be a bit too old now (63) but he could play the same part as Anthony Hopkins in the first movie and train a younger successor. Bring the swashbuckling movies back!

Agreed.

I liked Lynch well enough in NTTD... but she was nothing compared to Ana de Armas. Can we have HER character back please?

Nolan hasn't had anything to do with Bond so I'm not sure why you bring him up. But while he wouldn't be my first choice to return, I'd rather have another Zimmer/Mazzaro Bond score than another Thomas Newman one, even though I'm a much bigger Newman fan than Zimmer fan in general. But Newman never did a cue as good as this for Bond:

Agreed here too... hopefully with David Arnold?

17 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen an OK Campbell movie. They're either amazing or horrible.

I used to think The Mask of Zorro was amazing... it hasn't all aged as well as I'd have hoped. But I still really like it. Legend of Zorro is indeed mostly horrible (even though I love the Horner score even more than the original, and Catherine Zeta-Jones somehow looks even more beautiful in it than she did in the first).

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I'd rather Campbell to do another Zorro movie. Banderas may be a bit too old now (63) but he could play the same part as Anthony Hopkins in the first movie and train a younger successor. Bring the swashbuckling movies back!

This I agree with 100%. Redeem that franchise by ending it on a high note rather than that terrible second entry. I'm sure Banderas can still kick plenty of ass as an older Zorro.

Yavar

I thought Lashana Lynch was far more dynamic than Daniel Craig in the last film. A side series about her would be great. Plus it would piss off the anti-woke brigade. Double win.

To be honest I’d probably prefer Bond to die, as a franchise I mean… it survived the end of the Cold War (those semi meta references in Goldeneye were clearly as much a comment on the films themselves as they were about Bond) but they aren’t really the fun, ridiculous action movies they used to be. It’s all too real even when being ridiculous. Nobody needs that. 

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

LOL, I have the near opposite opinion.

Please let Nolan or Villeneuve take a shot at this. Bond deserves to be in the upper echelon of technical filmmaking. Martin Campbell is 80 years old, and hasn't made a great film in years. If you want Campbell, why not just get David Leitch? He is a younger, more stylish Campbell. 

Bring on Zimmer or Göransson. I would actually love to hear a Göransson Bond score.

But I agree with keeping Wishaw, Fiennes, and Harris but I also don't care that much. I am indifferent to Lynch. 

16 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

If you want Campbell, why not just get David Leitch? He is a younger, more stylish Campbell. 

David Leitch wouldn't be a bad choice but I think he may be a bit too stylish. Also, his last "big blockbuster for a huge franchise" Hobbs & Shaw was horrible. Universal made him do a $200 million movie and the results were far less impressive than his other movies with a smaller budget.

Chad Stahelski may be the "better" half of the John Wick duo, but so far he only directed John Wick movies... lol. Still, if they gave him Bond I wouldn't oppose.

Neither Nolan or Villeneuve are "fun" enough for Bond (even though I liked the moments of humor in Dune 2).

Whoever gets chosen should be instructed to do a fun and competent popcorn movie, like the ones Campbell used to do. Problem is, after Sam Mendes I think Eon now sees Bond movies as "high art" and not just entertaining action movies.

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

This I agree with 100%. Redeem that franchise by ending it on a high note rather than that terrible second entry. I'm sure Banderas can still kick plenty of ass as an older Zorro.

Haven't seen the 2nd movie. What's so bad about it?

31 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

David Leitch wouldn't be a bad choice but I think he may be a bit too stylish. Also, his last "big blockbuster for a huge franchise" Hobbs & Shaw was horrible. Universal made him do a $200 million movie and the results were far less impressive than his other movies with a smaller budget.

Chad Stahelski may be the "better" half of the John Wick duo, but so far he only directed John Wick movies... lol. Still, if they gave him Bond I wouldn't oppose.

Neither Nolan or Villeneuve are "fun" enough for Bond (even though I liked the moments of humor in Dune 2).

Whoever gets chosen should be instructed to do a fun and competent popcorn movie, like the ones Campbell used to do. Problem is, after Sam Mendes I think Eon now sees Bond movies as "high art" and not just entertaining action movies.

Gosh you are right. I meant to say Chad Stahelski because I was thinking about John Wick, Chapter 4.

I just found it weird that a lot of Bond fans consistently want Bond to have less dramatic depth. Instead of adding more character and drama, let's be more like Fast and Furious and Transformers! Sure, Bond should be entertaining, but I don't want it to be just another action film. 

13 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I thought Lashana Lynch was far more dynamic than Daniel Craig in the last film. A side series about her would be great. Plus it would piss off the anti-woke brigade. Double win.

I agree.

32 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I agree.

I think having her become Bond would be a mistake but she'd be great for some more lighthearted adventures as a companion to the main series. Especially if they continue with Bond as gritty and dour.

In other news, ATJ seems to have "distanced himself" from the news of him being cast... although wouldn't be surprised if it's a red herring (what you might call the Steven Moffat Manoeuvre), but who knows?!

5 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

although wouldn't be surprised if it's a red herring (what you might call the Steven Moffat Manoeuvre), but who knows?!

Surely it would be the Garfield Denial.

18 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

To be honest I’d probably prefer Bond to die, as a franchise I mean… it survived the end of the Cold War (those semi meta references in Goldeneye were clearly as much a comment on the films themselves as they were about Bond) but they aren’t really the fun, ridiculous action movies they used to be. It’s all too real even when being ridiculous. Nobody needs that. 

Bond used to filter in influences from other action-type genres in fun ways (blaxploitation in Live And Let Die, martial arts in Golden Gun etc). Now, it filters them in from movies that are more fun than it is (the John Wick-esque stairwell shootout in NTTD).  

This feature appeared in The Guardian yesterday. 

Some I can see, some I can't. I quite like Theo James but can't see him as Bond. Barry Keoghan is an excellent actor, but same. Idris Elba? Nah. Love him, and while I'm into the idea of how a non-white Bond might play, he's just too much beefcake. If you're going to go down that road, give it to Lashana Lynch and do a whole 007 spin-off. (Her 007, I mean, obvs.) Tom Hiddleston might've been great ten years ago, but he's the Clive Owen of his era in terms of might've-been-Bonds.

9 minutes ago, Badzeee said:

I quite like Theo James but can't see him as Bond.

Oh! I'm all on board with him as Bond! It'll never happen. But that would be great.

9 minutes ago, Badzeee said:

Barry Keoghan is an excellent actor, but same.

He's amazing but no way in hell. But put him in a tense spy thriller, please.

10 minutes ago, Badzeee said:

Tom Hiddleston might've been great ten years ago, but he's the Clive Owen of his era in terms of might've-been-Bonds.

He's right on the tail end. He could do it but five years ago would have been perfect. But it won't happen.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Oh! I'm all on board with him as Bond! It'll never happen. But that would be great.

I like him too. I guess screens Bonds are either suave or feral - Moore, Brosnan and Lazenby the former, Connery, Dalton and Craig the latter. Theo James might have more of the Moore about him... 

Unlike most people I can't see Hiddleston as Bond. He may be handsome but perhaps due to Loki I can only see him as someone who is more cunning and plotting than imponent physical power.

28 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Unlike most people I can't see Hiddleston as Bond. He may be handsome but perhaps due to Loki I can only see him as someone who is more cunning and plotting than imponent physical power.

Go watch The Night Manager. (Be warned, the ending is stupid and boring. Up until that point it's amazing. I don't know what the book was like.)

22 hours ago, mstrox said:

I thought you guys were talking about David Lynch and I got excited.

Kyle MacLachlan is an interesting choice as Bond. I can see Lynch himself as M. Shame Jack Nance and Harry Dean Stanton aren't around anymore to play Q and Felix Leiter. We'll have to do without the Julee Cruise/Angelo Badalamenti Bond song, too. Maybe Zendaya will be Moneypenny.

Honestly, if Austin Butler is British, he would be my pick. He has the looks, the charisma, and the sharp features for Bond.

I also found it curious that Idris Elba has always been linked to a black Bond even when Chadwick Boseman was still alive. Because Boseman would have made a terrific Bond. The magnetic tension he has with ScarJo in this scene is what Bond should have with women. But again, he isn't British. 

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Go watch The Night Manager. (Be warned, the ending is stupid and boring. Up until that point it's amazing. I don't know what the book was like.)

The Night Manager is phenomenal, including the ending.

IMO one of the best limited series ever.

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I can see Lynch himself as M. Shame Jack Nance and Harry Dean Stanton aren't around anymore to play Q and Felix Leiter.

That's actually perfect!

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Maybe Zendaya will be Moneypenny.

Catherine Coulson would've worked but Laura Dern will do too.

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Neither was Lazenby, and neither was Brosnan.

Indeed. And technically speaking, the only 'truly English-born' Bonds were Moore and Craig ... Dalton was born in Colwyn Bay in Wales and Connery was (famously) Edinburgh-born.  

An actual Black Widow/Bond link was finding out (from her fair-to-middling origin movie) that Natasha is a big fan of Moonraker. 

15 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I think I said: "Bring it back in one piece", not: "Bring back one piece"

'You blow up my beloved car? Fine ... I'll blow up my ancestral family home in order to destroy the 'copter that did it. How do you like THEM apples, you bastard?' is what I imagine went through Bond's head, lol.   

13 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Ford could have been the best Felix Leiter since Jack Lord.

Steven Spielberg's desire to make a James Bond movie was part of the impetus that led to the creation of Raiders of the Lost Ark and the opening sequence in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is a homage to the Bond film series' tradition of beginning the story with the close of another, with Indiana Jones himself wearing a white tuxedo a la Bond.

IndyBond.webp

14 minutes ago, JTN said:

Steven Spielberg's desire to make a James Bond movie was part of the impetus that led to the creation of Raiders of the Lost Ark and the opening sequence in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is a homage to the Bond film series' tradition of beginning the story with the close of another, with Indiana Jones himself wearing a white tuxedo a la Bond.

Yes. Of course Raiders does the same "pre-credits scene" structure as well. I mean... All of the Jones movies. And yes, it's a Bond thing.

Bond is, according to the books, half-Swiss, half-Scottish (and all British). Skyfall even goes all in on the literary source by showing us his ancestral home. 

If I was gonna cast a black Bond, there's a gigantic wellspring of talent to choose from when it comes to young black British actors. Just, please, not Idris Elba. Maybe EON will do an all-black Bond, just to mess with the racists? That would be funny.  Promote Naomie Harris to M, get David Harewood in there as Q, Daniel Kaluyaa or some other brilliant young performer as Bond and populate MI6 with various other agents of colour. Imagine the furore. 

I'm all for characters being reimagined, simply because it allows new life to be breathed into concepts that are rooted in a certain time. It's built in to Doctor Who, but realistically, I don't think EON would cast a black actor as Bond (I'd really, really like to be proved wrong); at least not without a radical rethink of what "Bond" is; something they'd have to build into the canon.

Something else y'all should see, if you haven't already, here (scroll down). I found this bizarre, but for all its deep weirdness, it shows we're probably not too far off something similar being created for mainstream cinema or TV, whatever provisions Hollywood has sorted for creatives behind the camera. 

On 21/03/2024 at 8:55 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Kyle MacLachlan is an interesting choice as Bond.

In case of Lynch probably Justin Xerox would have been a better choice. Funnily, he is quite a similar type as Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

6 hours ago, Holko said:
16 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Maybe Zendaya will be Moneypenny.

Catherine Coulson would've worked but Laura Dern will do too.

I wanted to have a current singer/actor in the list, that's why I picked Zendaya (and I thought she was great in Dune Part 2). That didn't leave me with a role for Coulson, or I would have mentioned her. I plain forgot about Dern, but if Lynch plays Q instead of M, Dern could be a formidable M.

8 hours ago, Badzeee said:

I don't think EON would cast a black actor as Bond (I'd really, really like to be proved wrong); at least not without a radical rethink of what "Bond" is; something they'd have to build into the canon.

Not seeing why that needs a radical rethink. I honestly can't conceive of why anyone except plain old racists would have any problem with a minority Bond. But then I'm rather strongly on the side that I don't really see why it has to be a male character, in much the same way that The Doctor is no longer an exclusively male (nor white) character.

No doubt if I said that on a Bond forum I'd be banished to Trenzalore forever because "tradition", but 007 is just a codename, right? Couldn't it be literally anyone?