WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) 2CD edition from Intrada Records 2020

crocodile

I believe they had mentioned in the past that they thought 600x600 was a perfectly fine resolution, and didn't see why anyone would want it higher. They would've had a point back when displays weren't so high in resolution, but with the standards of even cheaper phones these days, they definitely show their limits.

Admittedly, I do wonder if the recent change was an accidental one, since 1600x1600 is an oddly specific resolution. Of course, it'd be sacrilege to suggest they've unintentionally added the 1, but it's just a funny coincidence is all.

Yep. They've also stupidly suggested that offering album artwork on their website isn't a marketing tool for them, but a "courtesy" for us ungrateful fans, as you can see in this asinine post Roger made over on FSM.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Frankly I'm surprised at how much bandwidth has been consumed by the discussion of the covers. The amount of work by an army of licensors and Intrada folk that it takes to get a release like this out really makes every release a minor miracle. I'm still amazed the licensors find it worth their while to return my calls. Given that, the these graphics were never meant to be publicly provided. They take time to prepare and post and we get no revenue in return. It's done as a courtesy, which I am reconsidering. Someone like Erik Woods, who I thought was one of the good guys, certainly must realize that. But this endless harping is discouraging. Nonetheless, I asked our art director to provide the final version, so here it is. Whether we continue providing these in the future will be a topic of discussion, because it costs us to prepare online versions separate from the actual release. 

Ah yes I remember that - no one here had any idea what he was talking about in terms of how providing and hosting artwork cost untold amounts of time and effort. Literally every other label in the business provides often mega high resolution cover art.

Maybe it was overflow from the complaints at the time for Apollo 13's cover, which did look like shit initially, and turned out they'd uploaded a draft version of some sort. Everyone has a bad day I suppose.

4 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Yep. They've also stupidly suggested that offering album artwork on their website isn't a marketing tool for them, but a courtesy for us ungrateful fans, as you can see in this asinine post Roger made over on FSM.

I'm not savvy with exactly how album artwork is created for these releases, but I assume most of it is done on the computer before being printed on a booklet (at least that's what I've come to understand from checking out some of Jim Titus' behind the scenes posts). So wouldn't it be possible to upload the exact same high-resolution cover design used on the printed booklet onto the website?

And wow, I didn't realise it would cost them extra money to provide the covers... Maybe whoever is in charge of the online album covers department at Intrada is scamming the company owners by convincing them it will cost money to upload the exact same high-resolution image and then pocketing the extra cash! :D

1 hour ago, Trope said:

And wow, I didn't realise it would cost them extra money to provide the covers...

Yeah, I've no idea how that could possibly be true.

15 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Yep. They've also stupidly suggested that offering album artwork on their website isn't a marketing tool for them, but a "courtesy" for us ungrateful fans, as you can see in this asinine post Roger made over on FSM.

Their art director is having a laugh if they're charging extra to save artwork as a high-res JPG :lol:

It's more work downsizing it to a lower resolution!

8 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

They've also stupidly suggested that offering album artwork on their website isn't a marketing tool for them

Only a flip cover is a marketing tool that makes it into every announcement. Gee, I'm really not sure about buying this releHOLY SHIT IT HAS A SECOND UGLY PICTURE PRINTED INSTEAD OF BLACKNESS, SOLD!!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...