Who are your favorite composers to come out of Zimmer's Media Ventures/Remote Control?

Edmilson

Remote Control composers  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who are your favorite composers to come out of Zimmer's Media Ventures/Remote Control

• Ramin Djawadi
    • Nick Glennie-Smith
    • Jim Dooley
    • Steve Jablonsky
    • Christopher Willis
    • Matthew Margeson
    • Klaus Badelt
    • Jacob Shea
    • Andrew Kawczynski
    • Harry Gregson-Williams
    • Rupert Gregson-Williams
    • Blake Neely
    • Heitor Pereira
    • Benjamin Wallfisch
    • Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL)
    • Mark Mancina
    • John Powell
    • Trevor Rabin
    • Geoff Zanelli
    • Lorne Balfe
    • Henry Jackman
    • Marc Streitenfeld
    • Other
    • None

This is the poll for the most controversial studio in all of film score fandom. Media Ventures/Remote Control spawned the career of several composers under the tutelage of Hans Zimmer. They scored everything from blockbusters to indies, TV shows, video games, documentaries, you name it. 

However, a lot of film music fans don't seem to care about any of them. Are they being unfair or in fact RC only produced garbage? Let's discuss!

And please guys, try to keep this civil. Let's not kill each other here.

I predict a runaway victory for John Powell. Which is fine, I voted for him too. But plenty of great composers that were once associated with, or are still associated with MV/RC in one way or another. Just to be clear, Mancina and Rabin didn't really come out of the company. They had long, established careers before they were associated with the company, and their association is tentative to begin with.

I have good things to say about all of the names in that list.

I chose Powell and Gregson-Willians because of the best score that ever came out of RCP: Chicken Run.

And HGW (and probably a bunch of minions) delivered the best swashbuckler score of the new millennium with Sinbad.

Just now, Jay said:

Why did Media Ventures change their name to Remote Control again?

The lawsuit with co-founder Jay Rifkin no doubt triggered a desire to start "afresh" with a new name.

Powell, HGW, and Streitenfeld.

Powell because... well... duh. HGW hasn't always been consistent for me, but it feels like he has a more traditional approach than most of the others.

And I love Streitenfeld's scores for Robin Hood, Prometheus and The Grey. He's got a very organic sound that doesn't rely on the usual ostinatos.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't know this story

Basically, Rifkin had some shady business practices which were revealed later in the trial. I can't remember all the specifics off the top of my head, but it's all online.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't even know who that is

He was not really a composer, but a backgrounds guy that worked with Zimmer at one point. Engineer, producer, that kind of stuff. And apparently a great businessman (at least that's what Zimmer thought, which is why he was brought onboard), untill evidence of embezzlement and fraud was produced during the trial.

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

I predict a runaway victory for John Powell

I already knew that Powell would win in a landslide when I made the poll, so I'm more interested to see in who will be in second and third place :) 

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I already knew that Powell would win in a landslide when I made the poll, so I'm more interested to see in who will be in second and third place :) 

Dwajadi is the only other I like.

Not all on your list would even agree with your characterization that they "came out of Media Ventures".  I doubt Trevor Rabin, who might have been asked to fulfill a score rejected by Zimmer, came out of Media Ventures/Remote.  So how are you defining this?  If they worked with someone at Remote they came out of it?  You know they rent studios right?  ...So anyone with cash can "work at Remote Control" when studio space at that commune become available granting you certain privileges like access to an in house recording stage, if you pay more certain library access, etc., right?  Are you asking about composers who rented space at Remote then eventually left for their own studio?  If so, then what about composer/sound designers who were hired for a specific job at remote once, but really aren't at all "out of remote" though they are very prominent in what they do?  I think the premise of this question is very flawed. 

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I chose Powell and Gregson-Willians because of the best score that ever came out of RCP: Chicken Run.

Yes, but it's the only HGW thing I've heard that I've liked.

I didn't know Willis was associated with MV/RC. I've only heard one of his scores, but that's good enough that Powell isn't my only pick after all.

1 hour ago, karelm said:

Not all on your list would even agree with your characterization that they "came out of Media Ventures".  I doubt Trevor Rabin, who might have been asked to fulfill a score rejected by Zimmer, came out of Media Ventures/Remote.  So how are you defining this?  If they worked with someone at Remote they came out of it?  You know they rent studios right?  ...So anyone with cash can "work at Remote Control" when studio space at that commune become available granting you certain privileges like access to an in house recording stage, if you pay more certain library access, etc., right?  Are you asking about composers who rented space at Remote then eventually left for their own studio?  If so, then what about composer/sound designers who were hired for a specific job at remote once, but really aren't at all "out of remote" though they are very prominent in what they do?  I think the premise of this question is very flawed. 

Any more questions?

1 hour ago, karelm said:

The only two composers that I've seen be outright singled out as never having actually been part of MV/RCP is JNH and Daft Punk. There would've been odd projects or jobs that people like Scott Glasgow, Joseph Trapanese or Pinar Toprak would've been part of, but those are usually clarified. Otherwise, every name listed here has been consistently mentioned as having participated on HZ scores and/or worked heavily with its most prolific members. I don't think they would've been on the h-z.com website otherwise.

Might actually have been interesting to ask Hybrid over what the distinction is before being caught up in trying to fix the new site.

Apocalypse:

Hans Zimmer (Interstellar, Gladiator, The Lion King, The Last Samurai, Pirates 1-3, The Dark Knight, etc.)

The Four Horsemen:

1. John Powell (How to Train Your Dragon 1 & 2; Solo: A Star Wars Story; Face/Off) 

2. Mark Mancina (Twister; Speed 2: Cruise Control; Tarzan; Moana)

3. Harry Gregson-Williams (Chronicles of Narnia; Sinbad; Seas; Kingdom of Heaven; The Martian)

4. Ramin Djawadi (Game of Thrones; Westworld; Pacific Realm; Elephant)

The High Priests:

5. Tom Holkenberg (Mad Max: Fury Road; Mortal Engines; 300: Rise of an Empire)

6. Rupert Gregson-Williams (Hacksaw Ridge; Aquaman; Wonder Woman)

7. Benjamin Wallfisch (Peter Pan; Mully; Shazam!; Blade Runner 2049)

The Acolytes:

8. Steve Jablonsky (Transformers 1-5, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle)

9. Geoff Zanelli (Pirates of the Caribbean; Maleficent: Mistress of Evil)

10. Lorne Balfe (His Dark Materials; Jungleland, Mission Impossible 7)

11: Henry Jackman (X-Men: First Class; Ralph Breaks the Internet; The Predator)

12: Trevor Rabin (Armageddon; Deep Blue Sea; National Treasure)

The Banished:

13. Klaus Badelt (Invicible; The Promise)

The Zimling:

14. Jacob Shea (Planet Earth II, Blue Planet II, Seven Worlds, One Planet)

The Unworthy:

Everyone else

To me it's Powell of course and three others that I like for several scores but not all their carrear: Balfe (MI6, His Dark Materials), Jablonsky (Transformers, Ender's Game) and Djawadi (GoT, Westworld).

The others just make okay scores, not great but not awful... they just are scores.

@Mepharielyou mean MI6. Even if he was announced for the 7 he hasn't write it yet ;)

6 hours ago, HunterTech said:

The only two composers that I've seen be outright singled out as never having actually been part of MV/RCP is JNH and Daft Punk. There would've been odd projects or jobs that people like Scott Glasgow, Joseph Trapanese or Pinar Toprak would've been part of, but those are usually clarified. Otherwise, every name listed here has been consistently mentioned as having participated on HZ scores and/or worked heavily with its most prolific members. I don't think they would've been on the h-z.com website otherwise.

Might actually have been interesting to ask Hybrid over what the distinction is before being caught up in trying to fix the new site.

As previously noted, guys like Mancina and Rabin have worked with MV in some capacity, but they've never really been 'employees' or anything. It's more about renting gear or resources. In fact, I talked a bit with Rabin about this in my interview a couple of years ago. So the term "come out of" is problematic in these cases.

You'll find that of all the names listed as "MV/RC associates" on their Wiki page, some are or have been fullblown employees, while others are established composers that were active long before MV was a thing, and have just collaborated with them in some fashion during their careers. It's an important delineation to make.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

His score for Pirates of the Caribbean 5 was pretty good.

I don't fancy much that one but it's probably because I usually do marathon of the PoC's scores ;)

What would be his best work? Kinda of want to listen to something else from him.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Listen to the first five tracks and see if you want to listen further.

Yeah that one's absolutely terrific. Not sure if I've liked anything else by him though. 

26 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I don't fancy much that one but it's probably because I usually do marathon of the PoC's scores ;)

What would be his best work? Kinda of want to listen to something else from him.

I haven't heard much from him either. People say his score for Maleficent 2 was pretty decent, but I I didn't hear it. I plan to do so one of these days.

Maleficent 2 has its moments, but can't really compete with the first one.

The problem with Zanelli for me is that while he is generally fully orchestral, and without the typical RCP stuff, it's often just really dull.

Chicken Run and Shrek are what you get when two RCP alumni get together and produce something that is the complete opposite of what RCP usually represents. Escape to Paradise must be one of the greatest cues in an animation film, ever.