Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director’s Cut 4K Restoration (supervised by Mike Matessino)

crumbs

Watched VI last night. It looks like film again! Slightly moodier and grainier than other movies but it fits the "murder mystery" tone quite well. Away with that awful digital noise reduction! The film itself is still very enjoyable even if it becomes more and more heavy-handed as I grow older.

Karol

2 hours ago, Jay said:

"What is left out are, most notably, the full-length travelogues along V’Ger’s exterior and interior (although we do get a neat shot of the entire V’Ger vessel emerging from its cloud above Earth)."

Ha! I've been reading things like this and how they also cut down the tour around the Enterprise. (It's like four minutes, people. Four wonderful, beautiful minutes.)

I'll have to consult my notes, but I'm almost certain that time-wise the Intruder flyover clocks in at about the same length. And IIRC there isn't any FX material removed. It's all of the connective footage of the crew that has been trimmed or moved around. It's an impressive and apparently effective example of editing making something seem shorter or faster moving.

The flight through the cloud was trimmed a bit but also not as trimmed down as some people seem to think.

"That said, the “Special Longer Version” is in many ways the worst version of the film." This is certainly true.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/09/2022 at 4:30 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

Hey, would anyone here be interested in a record length four hour conversation with Mike Mattesino about his work restoring this for the DE over an eight month period, his relationship with Robert Wise, etc.? ;) 

Yavar

Yavar, did I miss this?

Nope, you didn't! I've heard the four hour first draft, and it's terrific! However, Mike Mattesino listened to it as well and (while very positive about how it turned out) apparently needs to run some specific things by some higher ups for approval... we may potentially need to snip just a bit of "inside baseball" here and there or something, and of course we always respect the wishes of our interviewee. In the meantime we've been putting out a new Goldsmith Odyssey (www.goldsmithodyssey.com) podcast episode every week for the past three weeks, so we haven't exactly been hurting for content to release... one of them features Mike himself (along with his film music restoration colleague Chris Malone) joining us to discuss La-La Land's latest amazing Goldsmith at 20th volume, featuring two total premieres and two significant expansions (plus a minor expansion and some significant remastering all around)... this was actually recorded a week after our Star Trek: The Motion Picture chat!

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/11302249-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-goldsmith-at-20th-vol-v-music-for-television-1968-1975

And then I spoke with Tim Greiving in a half hour chat about the new Rudy: The Deluxe Edition:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/11341192-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-rudy-1993

We finally squeezed out the long-overdue regular Episode 36 of the Odyssey, on a great lost Goldsmith score for Studio One in 1958: https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/11401225-episode-36-a-dead-ringer-westinghouse-studio-one-1958

Currently, Jens is busy editing a 2+ hour Rudy in Concert Field Report, from when he and David spoke with conductor Justin Freer *in person* after the first rehearsal. And David is busy editing Episode 37 of the regular Odyssey (on a feature length Playhouse 90, "Project Immortality"...which might be Goldsmith's first time scoring present-day science fiction, pre-dating his Twilight Zone work!) And I'm trying to schedule some more interviews, plus a Soundtrack Spotlight for Intrada's newly announced significant Hollow Man expansion. So it's a busy time at The Goldsmith Odyssey, but rest assured that epic four hour Mike Mattesino Star Trek TMP conversation will be released as soon as we are able! We are eager for folks to hear it!

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Thanks. I did listen to the Rudy episode and it was great.

Thanks! You should definitely check out our chat with Mike Mattesino and Chris Malone on LLL's new release as well!

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...

So the only substantive thing the Complete Adventure adds besides the fancy packaging is the two cuts, right? Because while I was considering buying it for just how neat it looked, I can't imagine I would ultimately keep watching any version of the film that isn't the DC.

48 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

So the only substantive thing the Complete Adventure adds besides the fancy packaging is the two cuts, right? Because while I was considering buying it for just how neat it looked, I can't imagine I would ultimately keep watching any version of the film that isn't the DC.

Is the extras disc the same in both editions?

I think they were THIS close to getting me to abandon the theatrical cut. But there's just too many things in the DC that I have to hold my nose over even though the edit is demonstrably superior and the sound is GLORIOUS.

I'm debating if I need a Dolby Atmos sound system and it's 100% because of this movie.

Imagine if they ever tried to sell me a presentation of Star Wars that I wanted to buy!

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Is the extras disc the same in both editions?

All the reviews that I've read seems to suggest it's the same across both sets.

Given I'm newer to this franchise, I'm obviously going to not have the same long history that makes me wearier of the changes made. As such, I'm not at the same level I am with Superman where I would just buy any new edition because I like it that much. But at the same time, because I really did enjoy the Fathom screening I attended, I kind of would like to have the big box in case my appreciation only grows from here (plus I tend to like all sorts of extras anyway).

(Huh, it's barely occurring to me that both movies have the same amount of versions, with the same general conceits for each.)

Revisiting a few posts here, I hadn't realized that I have a much more straightforward solution here: just get the 6-film set. For as neat as the SLV would be to have as a curiosity, I'm sure I'd rather be exploring the remaining set of (mostly) beloved movies if I had to spend that much money to begin with. It'd still have the theatrical cut, which I hear is a different beast in its picture quality compared to the DC. Plus I'm sure it still has the same bonus disc the Solo DC and TCA releases have, so about 90% there with extra movies added!

Edit: huh, guess I must've quoted my own post and accidentally pressed send. No idea how the hell I managed that without noticing.

I'm still waiting for the 6-film set to be available here. Amazon has had it listed as "trying to get more stock" since the official release day, still nothing. And sadly I haven't found any other reliable & affordable online (or offline) shop for Blu-rays.

TL;DR I want to know if the necessary step was 4K or if I would have been OK with Blu-ray.

I would be very curious to see the DE on a physical blu ray. Right now my only comparison is between 4K on a modest 55 inch TV and seeing it streaming on a good connection. To quote the poster: There is no comparison. (I won't even talk about the Fathom presentation that I saw in a cinema.)

I suppose I might try connecting my 4K player to my 1080 TV set and see what that looks like. I don't know the pitfalls of down scaling but it seems this film has hit all of them in the face like Sideshow Bob and field of rakes.

A big part of the appeal of those original 1979 effects is the interplay of lights and glows and sparks. It's all the stuff you get for free in real life that is super hard to replicate in a computer. And it's all the new FX that look considerably worse when it's not on physical media. The star fields chatter, the new Vejur effects look muddy and unconvincing. On disc they all get to at least acceptable and in most cases really take off and fly. Even the notorious Officer's Lounge goes from laughable to just "Oh. Well that could have been better."

The only film I have seen suffer so much from even minor degradations in quality is Tron: Legacy. (Also a film with lots of CG light effects.)

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this the other day, my second time with this film.

Well... it's a good enough vessel to host this great score.        If you ignore the Enterprise microedits.

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Maybe they’re just a better streaming service?

Yavar

I'm OK with that answer, but it also looks better than my digital copy on Vudu. :( (I'll recheck today to see if there has been an update or anything.)

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if I've missed something but I Paramount+ UK doesn't seem to have the TMP restoration version, just the original cut (albeit in HD), I assume that means it's on HBO Max or something in the UK?!

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/ can always be used to find where things are streaming in your country

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/movie/star-trek-the-motion-picture tells me that Paramount+ is the only service that has it included with a subscription in your country, but you can buy it for £2.49 - £3.49 from various sites; You can check each one to see if they are selling the restoration or the old edition

If not, there's always the blu ray too, which Amazon UK is selling for £9.99 https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=star+trek+the+motion+picture&crid=2S35FJ8VVQLML&sprefix=star+trek+the+motion+pictu%2Caps%2C197&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/ can always be used to find where things are streaming in your country

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/movie/star-trek-the-motion-picture tells me that Paramount+ is the only service that has it included with a subscription in your country, but you can buy it for £2.49 - £3.49 from various sites; You can check each one to see if they are selling the restoration or the old edition

If not, there's always the blu ray too, which Amazon UK is selling for £9.99 https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=star+trek+the+motion+picture&crid=2S35FJ8VVQLML&sprefix=star+trek+the+motion+pictu%2Caps%2C197&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Cheers, very useful info! I thought it was meant to be included in the UK but I can definitely only find the original version on P+. How strange. Might have to get the Blu-Ray...

Maybe on P+ you have to click the movie open, then click into some sub-menu of "extras" or something to pick the other version?  I have no idea how it works, and don't have P+ myself to see

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe on P+ you have to click the movie open, then click into some sub-menu of "extras" or something to pick the other version?  I have no idea how it works, and don't have P+ myself to see

I did think of that but couldn't see anything but I'll have another look in case it was clear user error. It would be rather odd to put the original cut as the main version and hide away the restoration which seems to have been quite an investment for the studio, as well as an enticement for Trek fans to subscribe to their service (especially for those not interested in the new shows).

In the U.S. the Director's Cut was listed separately, not as an extra or anything like that. I just saw its on HBOMAX in the U.S. currently, so it may have been moved to a different service and JustWatch just isn't recognizing that fact.

2 hours ago, Goldfinger said:

In the U.S. the Director's Cut was listed separately, not as an extra or anything like that. I just saw its on HBOMAX in the U.S. currently, so it may have been moved to a different service and JustWatch just isn't recognizing that fact.

Thanks for letting me know. JustWatch recognises that it's in the UK but I don't think it's differentiating between versions (it just comes up as the title, no separate listing for a Director's Cut or similar). I have emailed their help desk and will be astonished if I get anything approaching a useful reply... but may as well. Else might just have to get the Blu-Ray.

Well, they replied:

"Thank you for contacting Paramount+. We are here to help.

The 4K Restoration of the Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Cut is not yet available in the Paramount+ United Kingdom.

There are a number of factors that determine whether a program is available for Paramount+. We are working to expand our content offerings to make more programs available."

I shall put this next to my chocolate teapot. This is what I'd call a "due to the late arrival of the incoming aircraft" response in that it tells you precisely nothing useful. I can't for the life of me fathom why it's not included but there you go... surprise nobody else in the UK mentioned not finding out but perhaps you were all less cheap than me and bought the Blu-Ray!

At this point, just buy the disc and be done with it. Or rent it for £3 on Amazon Prime so you can at least get it out your system.

I even spared you the trouble of having to google. Here ya go, mate:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01JPV7P5C/

If you really love it, I can’t recommend this 5 disc set enough. It is the only way to get the Special Longer Version from the 80s home video era. The swag is fun too.  And unlike the US, this UK version includes standard Blu Rays of the films . 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B5VNYQ7J/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well that was amazing. I mean, I think that there comes a point where you've heard everything Mike, Daren, and David have to say right on this topic, right? Well, this podcast proved me wrong. It was like the 4K DE of all of Mike's stories about the TMP:DE. It was all kind of there before but now we have it in better detail and more context! :)

I'm still in the camp that thinks that the laugh at Kirk's "Oh my God" came well into the lifetime of the film. If there is anything I wish could be changed about that scene it's the final exchange between Kirk and Rand. I mean, her reaction makes sense. He says "Give it to me" and then says "It wasn't your fault." And she looks at him like "You're damn right it wasn't. I didn't have the controls!" The whole setup makes Kirk more of an ass than I think anyone intended him to be at that point. Even the novel has him blaming himself.

I'm on the fence about Uhura hesitating to turn off the viewer. If you're just watching this movie, maybe she looks like she's not on the ball. But if you know Uhura you KNOW she's on the ball and this just heightens how threatening it must be.

Neither moment is a cinematic treasure either way. It's just muscle memory that you even notice them gone.

Worth the wait and definitely a worthy addition to the troves of info about both TMP in general and DE in specific. I'm definitely one of the voices saying that the 2022 sound mix is an unqualified success. Maybe someday I'll get to see it on the big screen with an appropriate sound system.

It was so interesting to hear about the Special Longer Version. Even I forget that that was the only version available on VHS until the DE came out on DVD. I was kind of disappointed when I got it on laser disc that it was the theatrical cut! (Now I have the SLV on 4K and I haven't watched it yet.)

Oh, a question (unrelated to Star Trek, but mentioned on the podcast): Was there really no home release of E.T. until the priced-to-sell copy in 198...8? Wow. That kind of explains why I haven't seen the movie since it was in the theaters. I bought the VHS but I don't think I ever watched it. The iron had cooled, so to speak. Then Spielberg did his special edition nonsense on DVD. It just hasn't been in my mind since 1982. Other than the music, of course.

BTW, I had my wisdom teeth out the day before Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade opened. (Same year as License to Kill.) I still made it to the midnight show! I spent the day watching (and sleeping through) the original Star Wars trilogy.

Oh, and I'm totally the same way with the longer cut of Wrath of Khan! Those lines and cadences are burrowed into my brain like ruts in a road! You can't CHANGE them!

Didn't seem like four hours at all. I might even listen again. Great job, guys!

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Oh, a question (unrelated to Star Trek, but mentioned on the podcast): Was there really no home release of E.T. until the priced-to-sell copy in 198...8? Wow.

Wow, Indeed.

E.T. had a UK re-release in the Summer of 1986. The VHS release was trumpeted everywhere. It was released in October of 1988, in the UK.

The film had its UK TV première on BBC 1, on Christmas Day, 1990, at 3:10pm, right after Her Majesty.

On 17/03/2023 at 4:48 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

I listened via this page, and it just stops with Mike mid-sentence while talking about 2001 at the 4:06:35 mark.  Am I doing something wrong?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I listened on this page, and it just stops with Mike mid-sentence while talking about 2001 at the 4:06:35 mark.  Am I doing something wrong?

If the last thing you heard was "...all done in 65mm." then either you're not doing anything wrong or we both are.

Yup, that's the last thing that plays on that page

Interestingly, the Google Doc also doesn't list any music after "Games" which starts at 3:57, but I'd imagine there's more music eventually heard in whatever ending exists that doesn't play on that page?

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yup, that's the last thing that plays on that page

Interestingly, the Google Doc also doesn't list any music after "Games" which starts at 3:57, but I'd imagine there's more music eventually heard in whatever ending exists that doesn't play on that page?

@Yavar Moradi would know better than me, but I'm assuming Games is the marker for the end of the "regular" show and the 2001 discussion is like an Easter egg.

Yup, Tallguy’s right on the money. But you’re not the first person to react that way, Jay, so I asked David earlier today if he would add a clear “outtake beep” to the beginning and end of the 2001 section, for future listeners. It was a good part and we didn’t want to lose it, but it just took up too much time in the main show, so David moved it to the end after the closing music (which is why it was a longer clip) of “Games”.

Yavar