Justin Hurwitz's Babylon (2022)

DangerMotif

• 1 month later...

The OST album arrives Friday, December 9th, and is 97 minutes long across 48 tracks

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/babylon-music-from-the-motion-picture/1653477795

1600x1600bb.webp

1. Welcome (4:00)
2. Manny and Nellie’s Theme (0:53)
3. King of the Circus (2:28)
4. Jub Jub (0:56)
5. Coke Room (2:31)
6. My Girl’s Pussy (2:29)
7. Idaho (0:55)
8. Voodoo Mama (3:59)
9. Gold Coast Rhythm (Wallach Party) (1:41)
10. Ain’t Life Grand (1:38)
11. Babylon (0:30)
12. Morning (2:00)
13. Kinescope Ragtime Piano (0:35)
14. Kinescope Erhu (Orientally Yours) (1:28)
15. Kinescope Circus Music (0:49)
16. Kinescope Organ Music (0:45)
17. Night on Bald Mountain (2:08)
18. Herman’s Hustle (2:02)
19. Gold Coast Sunset (2:00)
20. Champagne (2:55)
21. Wild Child (3:03)
22. New York (2:02)
23. See You Back in LA (0:48)
24. Red Devil (1:56)
25. I Want a Man (2:02)
26. Orientally Yours (2:11)
27. Gimme (1:32)
28. Singin’ in the Rain (1:22)
29. Pharoah John (0:39)
30. Meet Miss LaRoy (0:39)
31. Call Me Manny (3:37)
32. Hearst Party (6:41)
33. Damascus Thump (2:10)
34. All Figured Out (0:55)
35. Nea Smyrni (2:03)
36. Waikele Tango (3:38)
37. Toad (2:01)
38. Blockhouse (2:10)
39. Jack’s Party Band (1:34)
40. Gold Coast Rhythm (Jack’s Party) (1:42)
41. Levántate (0:34)
42. Señor Avocado (2:23)
43. Heyo (3:00)
44. Gold Coast Rhythm (Juan Bonilla) (2:56)
45. Te Amo Nellie (1:31)
46. Gold Coast Rhythm (Sidney’s Solo) (2:47)
47. Manny and Nellie’s Theme (Reprise) (0:45)
48. Finale (3:51)

Two singles are already out:

Does anybody know what the OST album with the most amount of tracks is?  For single films, not TV series.

48 tracks has got to be up there, though admittedly just last week we had Weird with 46 tracks (not all by the score composer, however)

The longest in recent memory was probably Reznor & Ross' score for Mank at a generous 52 (albeit mostly short) tracks. Certainly stuck out as an anomaly upon release. 

2 hours ago, Gibster said:

Wish he would go for the Hollywood Golden age string vide

Amen. He absolutely has the compositional chops to pull that off, and then some. Sadly not feeling these singles. 'Twould be a real shame if we don't get anything symphonic out of this, and looking at the tracklist I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being 95% uproarious party music in the same vein. Won't speak too soon but I'd hate to have to start counting down the days until the next, *next* Hurwitz-Chazelle for the chance at hearing another Planetarium/Epilogue/The Landing (since he apparently doesn't work with/get hired by anyone else).

I do actually already know the 1930s raunchy novelty song "My Girl's Pussy" via the old timey string band R. Crumb & His Cheap Suit Serenaders.  It certainly fits the raunchy vibe this movie seems to have.

There's one pet I like to pet

And every evening I get set

I stroke it every chance I get

It's my girl's pussy

and so on...

Initial social media reactions for this movie are very mixed apparently.  We might have a fiasco on our hands, sadly.

One Variety editor does say "Margot Robbie and Justin Hurwitz are your stars" meaning that Hurwitz's music is very prominent I assume.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/babylon-first-reactions-damien-chazelle-margot-robbie-1235432626/

I’ve been hearing from the reactions that the score is the best part of the film which is a good thing to me. I obviously want the movie to be good but lowkey I am more excited for the score than the movie itself. Just because it’s been so long since I’ve heard some new Justin Hurwitz music and that guy is a goat.

We’ll see how the album sounds I guess. I’ve always seen a lot of his scores as containing tracks that are essentially bebop jazz that I can add to my jazz playlist or subtle blues jazz that I can add to my poker playlist (First Man excluded). So the music being over the top and loud is not a huge complaint for me considering how I already view Hurwitz. Bring on the jazz!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got out of a early screening. The score is great. Manny and Nellie’s theme is the motif from Call Me Manny, it’s mostly played on some sort of out of tune piano. It’s the heart of the score and gives LLL vibes. The source music and score are fully blended. I don’t know if it’s LaLaLand or First Man but it definitely has shades of both of them. Hurwitz does his best with what he’s given. I don’t remember hearing it but there is a theremin credited in the score.

probably the craziest music over the titles in a while.

happy to answer any questons

E6D57CD8-F1D0-4F3B-8E4F-E68A65776636.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Is the movie any good? I'm kinda curious for this one. The trailers made it look like a rowdy version of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I’m still embargoed on the movie side but people will definitely have strong thoughts, interesting movie.

My prediction: this movie will bomb at the box office and receive relatively little awards attention.  I hope I'm wrong!

This is no prediction of its quality (I'm still hoping to like it a lot) but the vibe I've gotten from early reactions is "Audacious, takes big swings that won't work for everyone" which does not usually translate to either $$$ or awards.

I doubt they’re gonna check this site so i’ll just say.

the movie is pretty graphic

the first hr and 45 is amazing, funny and sad. Some of the most fun i’ve had in a while in theaters 

the last hour and 15 is really weird and wasn’t for me. The last 20 minutes is soo odd.  It could have ended 15 different times. 
sadly the score gets messed over a bit towards the end due to this stuff. Most of the criticism is probably from how graphic it gets and about the last half

Spoiler

The final 4 minutes is a compilation of iconic films over the past 100 years with the score blasting a crazy amount of colors flashing that is hard to look at

The score is great though. 

it's not 100% and the timing is a little off but here's how manny and Nelly's theme plays in the movie. it's on some sort of out of tune piano in the movie I think and goes to guitar a little bit

4 hours ago, Gibster said:

I doubt they’re gonna check this site so i’ll just say.

the movie is pretty graphic

the first hr and 45 is amazing, funny and sad. Some of the most fun i’ve had in a while in theaters 

the last hour and 15 is really weird and wasn’t for me. The last 20 minutes is soo odd.  It could have ended 15 different times. 
sadly the score gets messed over a bit towards the end due to this stuff. Most of the criticism is probably from how graphic it gets and about the last half

Reveal hidden contents

The score is great though. 

it's not 100% and the timing is a little off but here's how manny and Nelly's theme plays in the movie. it's on some sort of out of tune piano in the movie I think and goes to guitar a little bit

I didn't find it all that graphic to be honest.

It's tamer than advertised.

Maybe not in Hollywood movies anywhere but you see these thigns and much more on TV all the time these days.

So I did not find it to be graphic.

19 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Wait, how graphic is the movie anyway? Does it have explicit sex scenes? Do we get to see Brad Pitt's cock? Tobey Maguire's peen? Margot Robbie's tits? Not exactly a Christmas movie for the whole family :lol:

You see a flash of a single tit of Margot's that's in close-up so I think might have been a double.

All the nudity is completely in the background by extras. Nothing related to the actual characters or storyline.

28 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Wait, how graphic is the movie anyway? Does it have explicit sex scenes? Do we get to see Brad Pitt's cock? Tobey Maguire's peen? Margot Robbie's tits? Not exactly a Christmas movie for the whole family :lol:

Spoiler

A lot of Nudity and a woman peeing on a guy 5 minutes in

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to the album. Not bad but definitely my least favorite of Hurwitz’s scores. I’m not a big fan of the weird electronic/bassy jazz of “Call Me Manny” and unfortunately a lot of the score is in that style. The rest of the score that is not that style and is a more traditional jazz is awesome and makes me wish he made all the music like that.

Overall there’s some great jazz stuff in here but still disappointed with a lot of these tracks because to me they’re practically unlistenable.

Yeah the vibe I'm getting from the film and the score is "make a film set in the 1920s but treat it like it's the 1970s" which is pretty disappointing.  I take in a lot of pop culture from the 1920s and 1930s so I was hoping for something more true to the era.  I think there's a way to veer away from boring period drama without being completely anachronistic in style.

23 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah the vibe I'm getting from the film and the score is "make a film set in the 1920s but treat it like it's the 1970s" which is pretty disappointing.  I take in a lot of pop culture from the 1920s and 1930s so I was hoping for something more true to the era.  I think there's a way to veer away from boring period drama without being completely anachronistic in style.

https://variety.com/2022/music/awards/babylon-score-justin-hurtwitz-damien-chazelle-1235451912/

The last thing in the world I wanted to do was write 1920s jazz,” says composer Justin Hurwitz about “Babylon,”

Which is his good right - but his alternative is half-assed 2020 pop and hip hop impressions. And since the movie obviously is set in that older era, it's kinda hard to connect the dots here - except you're in love with that shallow Baz-Luhrmann-let's just do something hip and trendy and hoping that no one cares anyway-vibe.

Based on a few tracks that I listened to from the OST this score is really noisy. I don't care if it sounds like 1920s jazz or not but the couple of cues I listened to were just plain abrasive. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched it. It was an interesting film. Funny thing is that all its lack of subtlety and artistic hubrus are exactly the kind of ingredients that make it work. Even if you dismiss it as a failure, and it genuinely might be one, the movie is never boring. It's pretentious as hell but I'll still take it. 

Karol

Yeah, I was finally able to watch it, since in my country just got released, and I must say that I really liked it. I had read so many mixed reviews, so I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did, even being a big fan of Chazelle's previous work. Sure not everything he tries works, but I found it to be a fantastic film that serves both as a critic and a homage to the wonderful world of movies, with all the upsides and downsides.

It's really a shame that none of the stars got a nomination, not even the cinematography editing or directing, but at least Hurwitz's score is there. His music is a bit wild and hard to listen to on its own, but works wonderfully in the film, and the main theme is such an ear-worm in its apparent simplicity, and I love how the composer plays with it, as well as incorporating some subtle references to his La La Land score here and there.

Great movie, it's the best of the bunch of Oscar-nominated ones, above Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All at Once or All Quiet On the Western Front, altought I have yet to watch others like The Fabelmans or Tar.

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I like the soundtrack. The main theme is really fun, I love the « Coke Room » version, and some other cues like « Voodoo Mama » are absolutely delightful, but I think it is way too long and it lasts variety. I think it deserved its nominations, but winning the Golden is maybe too much. It is imo the weakest of Hurwitz’s scores.

• 6 months later...

A beautifully mad piece of work from Chazelle and Hurwitz. Totally no restrictions, Coppola 1977 but lucikly with an unrestrained great work by Hurwitz doing ANYTHING musical......