Film composers that you've seen a lot of their films, yet own none of their albums

Jay

#1 of this criteria for me must be Graeme Revell.  I've seen soooo many films he's scored - The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, The Crow, Tank Girl, Strange Days, From Dusk till Dawn, The Saint, Suicide Kings, The Big Hit, The Negotiator, The Siege, Idle Hands, Pitch Black, Titan AE, Red Planet, Human Nature, Tomb Raider, Daredevil, Open Water, Walking Tall, Chronicles of Riddick, Aeon Flux, on and on and on and on, and yet I've never once been compelled to check out one of his scores outside the film

Does anybody else have a composer like that?

I'm not sure how many of his films I've seen, but I also have essentialy nothing by Revell. Only the three tracks that are on the From Dusk Till Dawn soundtrack, and they're about as overshadowed as it's possible to be by the songs.

I did see the Power Rangers movie he did in the late 90s as a kid, and checked out the OST for that in the last year or so - nothing of interest.

Christophe Beck nearly makes it to my list. I've got a Buffy compilation which is quite good, and a few cues from Frozen.

But I've seen WandaVision, the two Ant Man movies, all 3 Hangovers, Tower Heist, What Happens in Vegas, Without a Paddle, Cheaper by the Dozen and quite possibly others, and never had an urge to listen to any of the music.

That's a good one, I've seen a lot of projects he has scored, but only wanted to own the Ant-man scores.

Daniel Pemberton (he's talented, but he's really not my style of music, with the exception of Enola Holmes)

John Ottman (though Jack the Giant Slayer was pretty good)

Post 2010 Marco Beltrami

Every Bourne-style spy or thriller score

I have a similar view of Pemberton. I sort of like a few bits of The Rescue but really it's just Enola Holmes.

Definitely with you on the modern thriller genre - Bourne, Salt, pretty much any other movie like that is unlikely to have a score I like.

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Daniel Pemberton (he's talented, but he's really not my style of music, with the exception of Enola Holmes)

John Ottman (though Jack the Giant Slayer was pretty good)

Post 2010 Marco Beltrami

Every Bourne-style spy or thriller score

Marco Beltrami for me as well.

Mentioning John Ottman, I only have his H20 score, which quotes Carpenter's Halloween Theme. So, I own a little bit John Carpenter score on CD.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

By the way, somehow I always mix up Marco Beltrami and John Frizzell.

Surprising - I don't have loads from either but their styles are very different.

Frizzell tends to be more on the harsher, atonal side (at least for his action scores) that JWFan loves so much so I wouldn't be surprised if he's not very popular outside his films.

15 hours ago, Bespin said:

I would say the composers that we name in this list, are those that we must discover soon, voilà!

Yea that's kind of where I was going with this.

Like take Graeme Revell, he's scored a ton of big popular films, so he must be doing something right; Maybe I should check out some of his scores to movies I've liked, outside of the movies?

I don't know this Graeme Revell at all, but according to my usual method, If I was to discover him, I would start by these three scores:

• Darfur Now (2007) (IMFCA Nominee)
  • The Saint (1997) (BMI Award Winner)
  • Freddy vs. Jason (2003) (BMI Award Winner) (that movie was fun! A good mash-up between two icons!)

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Like take Graeme Revell, he's scored a ton of big popular films, so he must be doing something right; Maybe I should check out some of his scores to movies I've liked, outside of the movies?

I LOVE his score for Until the end of the world.

It hasn't been released apart from 2-3 pieces in the ost, but the sessions are out!

@Brundlefly Regarding starting a collection of a new composer you don't already collect, I would say to start with the current selling Expanded Sets (those who are not I think yet OOP).

Danny Elfman

• DOLORES CLAIBORNE: THE DELUXE EDITION (2 CD / 2500 EDITION) (CD)
  • MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE / 2 CD / 3000 EDITION) (CD)
  • SLEEPY HOLLOW (4CD) (CD)

James Horner

• *BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED (2CD) (CD)
  • APOLLO 13 (2CD) (CD)
  • BRAVEHEART (2 CD / REISSUE / 3000 EDITION) (CD)
  • CASPER: 25TH ANNIVERSARY (REMASTERED / 2 CD / 3000 EDITION) (CD)
  • CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER (2 CD / 2000 EDITION) (CD)
  • COCOON (EXPANDED) (CD)
  • FIELD OF DREAMS: REMASTERED / EXPANDED (2 CD / 5000 EDITION) (CD)
  • GLORY (EXPANDED / REMASTERED / 2 CD / 5000 EDITION) (CD)
  • JUMANJI (2 CD) (CD)
  • LEGENDS OF THE FALL (EXPANDED 2CD) (CD)
  • STAR TREK II: WRATH OF KHAN (2 CD / 10000 EDITION) (CD)
  • STAR TREK III: SEARCH FOR SPOCK (REISSUE) (CD)
  • THE LAND BEFORE TIME (EXPANDED) (CD)
  • TITANIC (4 CD / 5000 EDITION) (CD)
  • WILLOW (2 CD) (CD)

I am shamefully lacking lots of Golden Age composers like Max Steiner and Korngold.  I'd like the right time in my life to remedy that.

I only have one Bernard Herrmann score (Pscyho), and that's a shame.

I am lacking lots of Modern Age composers.  I will likely never explore them.

Somebody name some more composers.  I can't think of more I'm missing.

50 minutes ago, Andy said:

I am shamefully lacking lots of Golden Age composers like Max Steiner and Korngold.  I'd like the right time in my life to remedy that.

I only have one Bernard Herrmann score (Pscyho), and that's a shame.

I am lacking lots of Modern Age composers.  I will likely never explore them.

Somebody name some more composers.  I can't think of more I'm missing.

Concerning Golden Age, Steiner & Co. I recommend the 12-CD box with the Charles Gerhardt recordings. That is a great entry.

And I think, I can more or less recommend all Max Steiner re-recordings by William Stromberg.